The Baseball Thread

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:06 pm
looked though all the tags I could find.

dint find a general baseball thread.

starting one...

everyone is welcome to discuss whatever about baseball at any level, I don't really care.

what got me looking was Matt Holliday being traded to St Louis. I think the Cards just got a leg up on the Cubbies, but who knows.

anyone else like baseball?

(prolly enough other threads on steroids to leave that alone...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 50 • Views: 249,445 • Replies: 2,824

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:14 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeh, I like it. But I was the one who dumped Holliday when I first started in signing up for fantasy baseball games. Tico is here to remind me. I have other famously bad moves, while busy learning.

Good going on the thread.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:16 pm
@ossobuco,
I picked him up when you dumped him...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:35 pm
I suppose crickets could be discussed here as well, so the limeys don't feel left out...

(it is a crude form of baseball as I understand it)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:03 pm
@Rockhead,
So it goes, as Vonnegut would say. Lessons learned, or maybe not, by me. I learn a little, but I still whoop players around. Check back in ten years.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:12 pm
@ossobuco,
I also tossed Lee..
really, I have had some stupid stats.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:22 pm
apparently Mr Holliday likes his new job as well...

4 hits and an RBI to start.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:24 pm
@Rockhead,
not following, but will catch up.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:27 pm
@ossobuco,
but, hey, baseball.

I figure this thread will cook...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 06:17 am
Baseball, ah. We are goin' to the see the Local Nine on August 30th. I've mentioned doing a local gathering in Pawtucket or Lowell -- folks are interested but it requires a firm organizational hand. Which I usually have, but this year life just seems a lil too overwhelming.

Anyway -- baseball! Was glad to see the Lads of the Carmine Hose stop their skid. And Buehrle! Woof! I love to see a great play of any sort, even if it's for an opponent. I just like seeing amazing feats, and his and DeWayne Wise's feats were truly spectacular.

Buehrle: http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2009/07/23/mlbf_5699309_th_13.jpg
Wise: http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2009/07/23/mlbf_5699255_th_13.jpg
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 09:23 am
@jespah,
FYI, you may find it interesting as the OF-er Wise was inserted for defensive purposes just in time for this amazing potential game-saving catch. Clearly it saved this perfect game.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 09:32 am

< spits in dirt to (book)mark territory on this thread >
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 09:49 am
@jespah,
Red Sox play Toronto Blue Jays at 1:35 pm ... it's a Sunday. Might be an interesting time of the season for the penant drive. What does Lowell or Pawtucket ...oh wait..this is for attending a Lowell Spinners or Pawsox game?
jespah

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 10:54 am
@Ragman,
Sorry I was unclear. RP & I have tix to Fenway on 8/30, but at some other time I'd love to hit Lowell and/or Pawtucket.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 11:10 am
@jespah,
Our local team went independent a couple years back, and is rather entertaining. Managed by a WSU alum, Kevin Hooper, it's an inexpensive night out at the old (kinda quaint) stadium.

We were with the Royals, at double A, and most of their current roster spent time here. Johnny Damon was a star in Wichita long ago.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 11:42 am
The Cards will still need to add Evan Longoria, Hanley Ramirez, and Chase Utley if they want to generate more runs than their pitchers surrender.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 12:10 pm
So, we have two new Hall of Fame members. Thoughts? Memories?

Will Henderson's SB record ever be broken? No one is even close to being on pace. I'm not sure if the difference is speed, or audacity. Ricky had oodles of both.
aidan

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 12:48 pm
@Gargamel,
When I was home at the end of June, I got to watch the college world series championship with my dad - who grew up playing and who I watched play as I was growing up and who watched me play softball and even though LSU beat Texas (where we were both born) - it was a lot of fun to be able to watch it with him. This kid made the most incredible catch:

We both jumped up out of our chairs (even though he was the opposition - you gotta hand it to him for that catch).

I can't wait to watch the Little League World Series next month.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 03:12 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:
So, we have two new Hall of Fame members. Thoughts? Memories?

Will Henderson's SB record ever be broken? No one is even close to being on pace. I'm not sure if the difference is speed, or audacity. Ricky had oodles of both.

Dunno. Jacoby Ellsbury is wicked fast and is somewhat audacious, but I see your point -- not like Ricky. As for Jim Ed, well, who stays in one place their entire career any more? Does anyone? Is it even possible these days, unless you have a super-short career?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 04:10 pm
@Rockhead,
so I'm followin the Marlins, which is painful, but hey.
0 Replies