Are You Ready For Fantasy Baseball - 2009?

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 05:57 pm
It was a year ago to this very day that we launched the 2008 season. Here I recycle some of the initial post:
It may be cold and snowy where some of yall live, but somewhere in FL and AZ, major league players are getting ready for a new season.
The A2K Fantasy Baseball League is back for another year!
Watch this space for details about how you, yes you, can participate in this totally free waste of time. Knowledge of baseball is not required. You need to know nothing. Most of us don't.
(It would be useful, if you are interested, to so indicate by posting here so the dude setting this up knows how big to set the league).

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 06:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
Sure.
jespah

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:12 am
@ossobuco,
Yes! The Fitter Boston Puppies will be ready.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:18 am
I've tagged the thread and think I would like to do that. Will it be on Yahoo? I think after experiencing both Yahoo and ESPN fantasy teams, Yahoo is the more user friendly.

I don't think we'll get El Stud to come along this time. He didn't like having to remember to maintain his hockey team daily and finally just threw in the towel. He figures baseball would be much the same. I, however, don't mind..

But the Owls are out shopping for baseball cleats.
jespah

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:40 am
@Foxfyre,
I, too, would prefer Yahoo. I really don't like the ESPN format, but some of that may be due to me just knowing more about baseball and following it more, than hockey.
kermit

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:52 am
@jespah,
Yeah, I'd probably play. Maybe I'll try to select all players linked to steroids
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 02:40 pm
I'm working on my new team name. So far, it's the Sunbaked Sandpaws. Could work into the Windblown Sandpaws. Or the Sandcoated Herd Doggies. This takes time, you know.

Sandscamps..
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:48 pm
I'm in.
As I have stated elsewhere, I also do prefer Yahoo! settings (in Fantasy Hockey too, I go to my Yahoo! team almost every day -and it's doing good, as usual- while in ESPN I only go once a week, make the proper changes, and come back 7-8 days later to find out nothing has moved... of course, I know very little about the NHL).

In 2007 my team names were biblical (Sodom Salt Statues, Jericho Wallbangers); in 2008 they were zappaist (Cosmik Debris, The Grand Wazoo, Hungry Freaks Daddy); in 2009 they will have the names of Italian progressive rock bands, which are hilarious IMHO.
For baseball it will be Premiata Forneria Marconi (roughly translated: Prized Marconi Bakery).

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:54 pm
@fbaezer,
Hahahahahaahahahaha!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:01 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't think we'll get El Stud to come along this time. He didn't like having to remember to maintain his hockey team daily and finally just threw in the towel. He figures baseball would be much the same. I, however, don't mind.

The gerbils are clearly cowering in fear of ....... the mighty Ticomaniacs!!!!

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1029/arnoldbat1ca.jpg
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:00 pm
@Ticomaya,
I'll let him know, Tico. That might just be enough to get him to reconsider. Smile
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:05 pm
It looks like we have definite maybes from 8 folks so far: Johnboy, Osso, Jespah, Foxfyre, Kermit (who I don't think I know-welcome), Fbaezer, Tico, and JPinMilw.
JPinMilw evidentally has agreed to set this up & Yahoo seems to be the venue of choice. I will let JP speak for himself but I think he prefers to have an even number of players so we can have match play and to limit the size of the league to, say, 12 teams. The limit of 12 is desirable because the quality of ball players drops off after we fill out that many rosters.
Looking at last year, we seem to be missing JPB, George and Alex. Also, the owners of Absolute Zero, Los Pinces Pants and Peameal Females.

Preference to joining is not given to previous players. Anyone is welcome to play, space permitting. Thank you for participating!
George

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'll be there. Clive (owner of the Jamaican Me Crazy hockey team) is interested, too.

Anyone ask Rockhead?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

It looks like we have definite maybes from 8 folks so far: Johnboy, Osso, Jespah, Foxfyre, Kermit (who I don't think I know-welcome), Fbaezer, Tico, and JPinMilw.
JPinMilw evidentally has agreed to set this up & Yahoo seems to be the venue of choice. I will let JP speak for himself but I think he prefers to have an even number of players so we can have match play and to limit the size of the league to, say, 12 teams. The limit of 12 is desirable because the quality of ball players drops off after we fill out that many rosters.
Looking at last year, we seem to be missing JPB, George and Alex. Also, the owners of Absolute Zero, Los Pinces Pants and Peameal Females.

Preference to joining is not given to previous players. Anyone is welcome to play, space permitting. Thank you for participating!

Where is JP? He's been MIA for months now.

And as the new kid on the block, if one of your regulars wants a spot after you fill the league, I'll step down. I'm only doing this to spend time with you guys anyway. (Okay I'm a little bit competitive too, but do have other outlets for that. Smile)
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:47 pm
@Foxfyre,
JP has not been on A2K but he did reply to a post about Baseball on the Hockey thread. I will try to get him to come here and confirm he will have the time to set this up.
Tell ElStud that, as I recall, Baseball takes a lot less time than Hockey. I could pretty much set my schedule for the week on Monday's and not have to do much more, particularly if I was matched against Alex.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 05:10 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Looking at last year, we seem to be missing JPB, George and Alex. Also, the owners of Absolute Zero, Los Pinces Pants and Peameal Females....

Abs Zero I think is Cycloptichorn, Los Pinches Pants is Pantalones and Peameal Females is ehBeth.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 03:45 pm
Jpinmilw said that he is willing to set up the baseball league but won't be able to think about until next weekend at the earliest (3/14-3/15). He said that if someone else wants to do it, that would be fine with him. It is too complex for me, but if someone else wants to take a whack at it, go for it. Or we can wait for another week.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 04:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
Waiting a week seems fine.

I think Abs Zero is MaPorsche..
jespah

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Probably -- confusion is on my end, nowhere else.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:38 pm
@ossobuco,
No, wait, I'm confusable too.