All Time "Ethnic" Baseball Teams

fbaezer

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 01:30 pm
I was wondering, what would be the Mexican All Time All Star Baseball Team. Not an easy task with no regular major leaguer with a lifetime batting average over .300. Came up with one.

Then I thought: what would be the All Time African-American Team, the All Time WASP Team, the All Time Italian-American team, the All Time Jewish Team, the All Time Canadian, Cuban, Portorican, Venezuelan, Dominican team.

I guess we can all play the game, and discuss the line-ups

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 01:35 pm
Damn, you have to be a baseball nut to play! I don't know enough to even begin to contribute.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 01:37 pm
Here are my first three teams:

MEXICAN

Rubén Amaro LF
Beto "Bobby" Avila 2B
Mel Almada CF
Héctor Espino 1B
Vinicio "Vinny" Castilla DH
Erubiel Durazo RF
Jorge "Charolito" Orta SS
Alex Treviño C
Aurelio Rodríguez 3B

Fernando Valenzuela P
Aurelio López P

AFRICAN - AMERICAN

Brooks Robinson 3B
Lou Brock LF
Willie Mays CF
Barry Bonds DH
Reggie Jackson 1B
Hank Aaron RF
Jackie Robinson 2B
Roy Campanella C
Ozzie Smith SS

Bob Gibson P
Satchel Paige P

ANGLOSAXON AMERICAN

Robin Yount SS
Pete Rose 2B
Ted Williams LF
Babe Ruth 1B
Mike McGuire RF
Mickey Mantle CF
Mike Schmidt DH
George Brett 3B
Johnny Bench C

Nolan Ryan P
Tom Seaver P
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 04:24 pm
I'm having a bit of trouble manning my all Jewish team. Anyone know of a Jewish second baseman or outfielder (I'm one short.)
P- Sandy Koufax, Ken Holtzman
C- Moe Berg
1B Hank Greenberg
2B- ?
SS- Sid Gordon (normally 3B or OF)
3B- Al Rosen
OF- Shawn Green
OF-Cal Abrams
OF- ?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 04:25 pm
fbaezer wrote:

AFRICAN - AMERICAN

Brooks Robinson 3B

uh...you need another hot cornerer because that one doesn't qualify.

How's about Bobbie Robinson, or Judy Johnson, or Oliver "Ghost" Marcelle, or Ray Dandridge?

Ray Dandridge

Judy Johnson
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 05:09 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
I'm having a bit of trouble manning my all Jewish team. Anyone know of a Jewish second baseman or outfielder (I'm one short.)

How about Buddy Myer as your second sacker?

And Lipman "Lip" Pike as your last outfielder?

Quote:
Accepting $20 a week to play third base for the Philadelphia Athletics in l866, Lip Pike became baseball's first professional player. Other top players soon followed suit, and within three years, the first all-pro team was born in Cincinnati.

The National Association, the first professional league, was founded in 1871, and Pike played and managed the N.A. Troy Haymakers, batting .351. His six year National Association batting average was .321, and his five season National League average was .306, with 5 home runs, 36 doubles, 16 triples and 88 RBIs.

Pike was also baseball's first homerun champion. Although the exact number of his round-trippers is not known, it is recorded that he hit six homers in one game in July, l866.

Primarily an outfielder, Pike played every position, and batted and threw left-handed. His career spanned 1865-1887, playing, playing/managing or managing numerous teams in six different leagues. Among his teams were the Brooklyn Atlantics, Philadelphia Athletics, Lord Baltimores, Troy Haymakers, St. Louis Brown Stockings, Cincinnati Red Stockings, Hartford Nutmegs, and the original New York Mets.

jewishsports.net
fbaezer

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 05:17 pm
You're darn right, PDiddie, Brooks Robinson and Lou Brock, who played on the same team got me confused. Sorry.
I gave a thought to Richie Allen for 3rd baseman, but I guess I'll go with Ray "Mamerto" Dandridge.

What are your teams?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 06:10 pm
Got myself a great Cuban team:

Orestes "Minnie" Miñoso 3B
Pedro "Tony" Oliva, LF
Martín Dihigo, P (or DH)
Cristóbal Torriente CF
Pedro Canseco RF
Atanasio "Tony" Pérez 1B
Osvaldo "Cookie" Rojas 2B
Al Lopez, C
Zoilo Versalles, SS

José Mendez P
Luis Tiant P

Torriente, Dihigo and Mendez never played Major League because of the racial divide.
Dihigo is a member of the US, Cuba, Mexico, Dominican Republic and Venezuela's Halls of Fame.
In 1938, he led the -then strong- Mexican League in ERA, W-L percentage, Wins, Strikeouts and Batting Average.
His era was 0.90; his batting average: .387
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 06:24 pm
uh, sorry to correct you twice, fb, but I don't think Brooksie (Orioles) and Brock (Cards, mostly) ever played together.

I'll bet you're thinking of Frank Robinson, who played for the Reds and Orioles and a couple others at the end of his career.

Frank was born in my hometown of Beaumont, TX; as you may know he is currently serving MLB in handling on-field discipline (he metes out the suspensions in beanball incidents). He won the Triple Crown in 1966 and the MVP in 1961 and 1966, the only player to do so in both leagues. He was also the man who said:

Quote:
"Close don't count in baseball. Close only counts in horseshoes and grenades."

And of course he said this, too:

Quote:
"I don't see why you reporters keep confusing Brooks (Robinson) and me. Can't you see that we wear different numbers."

I'll give some lineups some thought, but yours (and flyboy's) are very good.

BTW, it's Mark McGwire.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 11:03 pm
Ooh this is cool. Gonna have to think o' some. What about a team composed entirely of guys with relatives (Dads, sons, brothers, uncles, nephews) in baseball? Hell, the Alous can pick up about a third of that lineup.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 06:50 am
I have a lineup for that one, jes:

Actually I think only one Alou is good enough to start: that would be Moises' pop, Felipe.

Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonds make up an all-Giants starting lineup in the All-in-the-Family All-Star outfield.

Moises joins his uncles Jesus (he of the loose neck) and Mateo on the bench, along with the Griffeys.

Bob Boone (recently ex-Reds manager) catches and sons Bret and Aaron are utility infielders; Buddy Bell plays third and dad Gus hits DH (there's no room for him in the OF).

Mel and Todd Stottlemyre and Phil and Joe Neikro and Gaylord and Jim Perry and Dizzy and Daffy Dean pitching; Tony Perez at first (son Eduardo rides the pine, and hey! Tony's now made two different lineups on this thread!).

Roberto Alomar at second (but pop and bro Sandy and Sandy Jr. have no spot).

Let's see, I need a shortstop...

Yes! Cal Ripken Jr. (and his dad manages, to make up for the crappy way he was fired by the Orioles).
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 11:50 am
fbazer:

No 'El Duque'?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 06:16 am
Excellent, PDiddie! Any room for Casey Candiotti and his mom (eek, I've forgotten her name, she played ball during WWII a la A League of their Own)?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 07:50 am
You mean Casey Candaele (he played a few years for my Astros and was one of my favorites).

From baseballlibrary.com:

Quote:
In 1987 the spunky, 5'9" Candaele played six positions and finished fourth in NL Rookie of the Year balloting. His teammates had a pool to guess the date of his first home run; it came on July 19, and was the shortest ever to clear the fence at Olympic Stadium. A special yellow seat was set in the first row of bleachers to mark the shot. The switch-hitter was later demoted and traded to Houston in mid-1988. His most productive season came in 1991 when he played in a career-high 151 games for the Astros while hitting .262 with four home runs and 50 RBIs. After being out of baseball for two years, Candaele resurfaced briefly a reserve for the Indians' division-winning squads in 1996 and 1997. Casey's mother, Helen Callahan St. Aubin, played in the professional All American Girls Baseball League of 1942-1954 and had 354 steals in 388 games.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 07:51 am
My bad on the spelling. Thanks for the history on Casey and Helen!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:32 am
NeoGuin, if I had to choose another Cuban pitcher, it would be Adolfo "Dolf" Luque, "The Pride of Havana", who won 27 games for Cincinnati in 1922.

The Hernández Half-brothers would probably make the Families team.

We don't really know how good are some Castro era Cuban players who didn't make the jump and only played against amateur teams.
0 Replies

Mastro

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:10 am
@fbaezer,
German-American (seems a little silly now- but a lot of these guys grew up in immigrant households)

1B Lou Gehrig
3B Mike Schmidt
SS Honus Wagner
Can't think of a second basemen- but even if mediocre this could be the best infield all time.

Outfield
Babe Ruth LF (played right- but this team is loaded with RF)
Mel Ott (CF- see above)
Chuck Klein RF
Al Kaline(?)- sounds German
Burt Shotten- defensive replacement outfielder

Messersmith- Pitcher
Jayson Schmidt-Pitcher
need a couple more-

Ed Ott - Catcher
fbaezer

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:34 am
Thanks for reviving the thread, mastro.
While I can't think of another "German" infielder. I must make adjustments on my Mexican team. El Titán is ripe enough to play in it.

To the bench goes Aurelio Rodríguez
Vinny Castilla from DH to 3rd base
Héctor Espino from 1b to DH
Adrián González at 1b
fbaezer

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:51 am
The Venezuelan team has a plethora of short-stops

1b. Andrés Galarraga
2b. Manny Trillo
3b. Miguel Cabrera
SS. Luis Aparicio

OF Vic Davalillo
OF Tony Armas
OF Bobby Abreu

C Bo Díaz

DH Víctor Martínez/Magglio Ordoñez

SP Johan Santana
RP Francisco Superchamo Rodríguez (K-Rod for American fans)

(waiting for a chance to play at SS: David Concepción, Omar Vizquel and Chico Carrasquel)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:07 pm
All Polish-American baseball team

C: Carl Sawatski
1B: Ted Kluszewski
2B: Bill Mazeroski
SS: Alan Trammell
3B: Whitey Kurowski
OF: Al Simmons (born Aloys Szymanski)
OF: Stan Musial (born Stanislaw Franciszek Musial)
OF: Carl Yastrzemski
P: Stan Coveleski
RP: Moe Drabowsky