Is Derek Jeter the greatest baseball player of all time?

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:25 pm
No, you say? Well then who do you think it is?

Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:27 pm
@kickycan,
yogi berra

(gee, jeter isn't even the greatest yankee of all time)

how do you top this?..

"You can observe a lot just by watching."
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:28 pm
Derek Jeter is a Yankee. Therefore a priori he cannot be the greatest baseball player of all time.
Nevermind

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:35 pm
@kickycan,
Derek Jeter isn't even the best in his position let alone best player in baseball. He would have never received a Gold Glove if it weren't from Arod foolishly moving to 3rd base.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:43 pm
@Rockhead,
Yogi Berra might be the funniest baseball player of all time, but greatest? No way.

"Baseball is 90% mental " the other half is physical."
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:46 pm
@kickycan,
you were not specific.

(oh crap, now i'm channeling her...)

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six"
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 12:33 am
then there is the guy he tied tonight.

Mr Gehrig was pretty damn good in his own right.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:57 am
@MontereyJack,

know whatcha mean...

howevvah... i'd have to say The Babe.
no one else has come even remotely close to touching his portfolio of pitching & hitting stattage...

jeter is a great hitter, excellent team leader, good role model, first-ballotter.
there are quite a few who have done the same...
Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:02 am
Shoeless Joe . . . even that sumbitch Ty Cobb said he was the greatest natural hitter of all time, and Ty Cobb didn't like nobody, not even Ty Cobb.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:08 am
@Setanta,

shirley you can't be serious?
Quote:
Shoeless Joe is remembered for his performance on the field and for his association with the Black Sox Scandal, when members of the 1919 Chicago White Sox participated in a conspiracy to fix the World Series. As a result of Jackson's association with the scandal, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, Major League Baseball's first commissioner, banned Jackson from playing after the 1920 season.
Quote:
In testimony before the grand jury on September 28, 1920, Jackson admitted under oath that he agreed to participate in the fix. Contemporary news accounts contend that Jackson told the grand jury:

"When a Cincinnati player would bat a ball out in my territory I'd muff it if I could " that is, fail to catch it. But if it would look too much like crooked work to do that I'd be slow and make a throw to the infield that would be short. My work netted the Cincinnati team several runs that they never would have had if we had been been playing on the square."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoeless_Joe_Jackson
mysteryman

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 06:30 am
no, he isnt.

When he breaks Cal Ripkens consecutive game record, then we can think about it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 06:31 am
@Region Philbis,
Oh sure, like that should disqualify someone. We ain't talkin' saints, here, ya know . . .
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:40 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

know whatcha mean...

howevvah... i'd have to say The Babe.
no one else has come even remotely close to touching his portfolio of pitching & hitting stattage...

It's not just Ruth's numbers, it's how he totally outclassed his contemporaries. In 1920, Ruth hit 54 home runs. No other team in the American League (except, of course, the Yankees) hit that many home runs that year, and only one team in the National League hit more than that. Ruth wasn't just marginally better than other players in his era, it was like he was playing an entirely different game. The only player who had the same sort of impact on his sport was Wayne Gretzky in hockey.

Derek Jeter is just a better-than-average shortstop. As has already been pointed out, far from being the best player of all time, he's not even the best player of all time at his position (that would be Honus Wagner).
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:23 am
The Babe. Great hitter, and damned fine pitcher. No one in the history of the game has ever done the two tasks equally quite as well. People forget that between 1915 and 1919 he won 85 games, yielded a stunning earned run average of only 2.02, won three World Series games and established the record for most consecutive shut out innings in the World Series at 29 and a 1/3 innings.

BTW 714 HR, 2,213 RBI . 342 LIFETIME BA

So, no Jeter is a good player. But, he's no Babe Ruth.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:53 am
I know Jeter isn't the best ever, but I was just a little excited last night, since I was actually at the game when he got the hit that tied him with Lou Gehrig and all.

I wish there was more good footage of Babe Ruth. Too bad baseball began too early for quality film, so all we get now are grainy, choppy clips where it looks like the film is running too fast and his legs look like they're going a hundred miles an hour whenever they show him run.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:56 am
@kickycan,
I like Jeter.

I might go so far as to call him the best player of his generation...
kickycan

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:37 am
@Rockhead,
Yeah, but look how much faster Ruth is at rounding those bases!

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:40 am
@kickycan,
I think he just don't move his arms enough.

he looks fat to me...

oh well, to each his own.

I'm a Bob Feller guy myself.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 12:14 pm
@Rockhead,

too much booze and a seemingly unlimited supply of hot dogs...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 06:21 pm
Ted Williams or the Babe
0 Replies