World stunned as US struggles with Katrina

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:42 pm
squinney wrote:
Speaking of Amen...

Be patient, the drowning are told:

Condoleezza Rice took an opportunity Sunday to tell the hurricane victims dying hourly in their homes that their prolonged suffering is God's will, not the government's fault, and to lecture them on the virtue of patience:

Asked to say a few words from the pulpit, Rice, a preacher's daughter, said: "The Lord Jesus Christ is going to come on time." She added: "If we just wait."

Earlier at the same church service "Rice nodded in agreement as the Rev. Malone Smith Jr. advised the congregation, "Wait for the Lord." Rev. Smith and Secretary Rice were playing on the words of a beloved gospel hymn that says, "He may not be there when you want him but he's right on time."

Source

squinney unless you have the other sources I believe what you did is irresponsible.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:52 pm
There were several accounts of the event. I checked out five or six, but didn't mark them all. Just used the last one I was on.

Here's another source: CBS NEWS
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:55 pm
Ok, I read it. What's wrong with it?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 08:05 pm
I cannot believe how many people regularly clear out there browser history within hours to minutes of making points that need proving.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 08:13 pm
Squinny I think you spun that whole thing out of context and tried to stir the pot up.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 08:24 pm
Given the weekend spin regarding passing the buck, I found her comments insensitive to those waiting for assistance from the administration she was there to represent.

The first part of my post was an interpretation, not a quote of what she said.

Imagine being in the convention center or superdome and hearing a government representative say Jesus will arrive on time.

Call it stirring the pot if you like. It wasn't sensitive to what people are going through right now and it just hit me wrong given the tendency of this administration to twist and politicize The Word.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 08:26 pm
Squinney Wrote:

Quote:
Given the weekend spin regarding passing the buck, I found her comments insensitive to those waiting for assistance from the administration she was there to represent.

The first part of my post was an interpretation, not a quote of what she said.

Imagine being in the convention center or superdome and hearing a government representative say Jesus will arrive on time.

I hardly think she meant that Jesus was on His way to New Orleans to personally deliver them out of the city.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
Quote:

but she wasn't - she was worshiping - she is the daughter of a preacher and what would you expect her to be saying to the fellow christians? we know the end game - our King is coming..........
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 08:49 pm
She wasn't just worshiping. The press was there.

Given THIS it just makes me sick to my stomach!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 08:54 pm
That saying is received by Christians to mean He supplies our needs.

She was speaking in a church to Christians.

I think you knew what that meant.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 09:19 pm
Squinney,

Just what is it that you want? You know, we had all come to a compromise on this situation. You came in here and started stirring the pot. The President said what had been done had been unacceptable and it was going to change. It is changing. The Mayor of New Orleans said things are getting better and they are looking toward the future.

Now, why can't you do the same thing?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:23 pm
Momma Angel--

One of the charms of A2K for me is that unless a member is going through great personal trouble, we aren't coerced into presenting a United Front.

You and I will never agree about the existence of a god.

Squinney may never agree that good news can trump monumental ineptitude.

Like the rest of the country A2K has blue stages and red states--and a rainbow of other opinions as well.

The levees of New Orleans presented a United Front--filled with Rubble.

A2K has diversity, charm and style.

I like it that way, don't you?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:26 pm
Hey, no problem here. I just asked a question.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:39 pm
Mama Angel--

I just gave you an answer.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:55 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Mama Angel--

I just gave you an answer.

Hold your dominion.

you confused me - is it ok to twist a news article?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:11 pm
Noddy,

I was asking Squinney a question. It was not directed at you.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:49 pm
Here's a story to go with the feelgood stories which are coming out now. I heard this report on the radio yesterday, and The Guardian has printed it:

Quote:
Britons caught up in the hurricane continued to arrive back in the UK yesterday. One family said American police took snapshots of trapped tourists instead of helping them.

Gerard and Sandra Scott were stranded in their New Orleans hotel with their young son but police did nothing as they shouted for help from the hotel windows. "I couldn't describe how bad the authorities were," Mr Scott told Radio 4's World at One. "Just the little things like taking photographs of us ... for their own personal photo albums, little snapshot photographs.

"At one point, there were a load of girls on the roof of the lobby saying 'Can you help us?' and the policemen said 'Show us what you have got' and made signs for them to lift their T-shirts. When they said no, they said 'Fine' and motored off down the road in their motorboat."

Nice police force.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:52 pm
they the mayor is sending them to las vegas for a vacation
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:53 pm
McTag,

The New Orleans Police Department is notoriously known for its corruptness. Didn't you already know that?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:55 pm
yes - does that mean that the mayor and govenor are the same?
0 Replies