World stunned as US struggles with Katrina

nimh

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:15 am
Americans ignore Sweden's aid delivery

Stockholm - Official spokesperson Per Ström today criticised the persisting passivity of US authorities towards concrete offers of aid from other countries after the hurricane catastrophe as "most unusual". Since six days, a completely loaded "Herkules"-transportplane with mobile water purification facilities as well as mobile stations for cell phone traffic for 50.000 people are standing unused on a Swedish military airport, he said. Reason: there is still no concrete response from the disaster area, where the equipment could be deployed.

Ström said that the airplane will remain to be kept at the ready and could leave at any moment with five technicians of the rescue service. The fact that, after more than a week after the disaster, still no concrete requests for aid have been received, he called "most unusual" also in comparison to the tsunami catastrophe in South-Asia in 2004. "Back then we received such requests even from the most severely hit province of Aceh in Indonesia and could react swiftly", explained Ström.

Link
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:32 am
Quote:
EU Cites difficulties in getting Katrina ait to victim in the U.S.

» Transport and other logistics problems are holding up some of the mass of humanitarian aid European countries have offered to the victims of hurricane Katrina, an EU official said on Tuesday. "There appear to be some transportation problems," said Barbara Helfferich, a spokeswoman for the Commission. She said a Swedish plane laden with aid was waiting to take off but had not got U.S. approval to enter the United States. High-speed pumps offered by Germany had arrived but Helfferich said unspecified "coordination problems" in the United States had prevented them from being deployed so far. She said EU authorities had suggested to the United States that aid could be flown in more easily via U.S. army airbases in Europe, such as that in Ramstein, Germany. She did not say if they had received a reply. Twenty-three European countries have offered help to the United States ranging from financial assistance to ready-to-eat meals, blankets, tents and disinfectant supplies. Helfferich said the United States had not agreed to take it all and Britain, which currently holds the presidency of the EU, was negotiating with U.S. authorities on what to deliver. The EU and NATO said on Sunday they had received official requests from the United States to provide emergency assistance for the victims of Katrina, days after it ravaged U.S. cities. The Commission said at the time that the request to it came after several days of discussions and insisted that the EU, the world's biggest aid donor, could have acted sooner if asked. President Bush is under fierce criticism for his government's slow response to the hurricane, a disaster which the mayor of New Orleans says may have killed 10,000 in his city. »

Mis en ligne le 8 septembre 2005 à 08H00
Source

Since the German aid finally really flew out from Ramstain, it seems that the US just didn't want ... foreign planes?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:26 am
Walter, political infighting right now makes acceptance of any aid, no matter how needed or well intentioned difficult to deliver. One side of the aisle wants one set of things the other side wants none of those; but, rather their own grouping of supplies and aid. Politics in the U.S.A....ain't it grand? People can die left and right but that's okay as long as the Dems squash the Republicans and vice versa.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:15 am
Sturgis
Sturgis wrote:
Walter, political infighting right now makes acceptance of any aid, no matter how needed or well intentioned difficult to deliver. One side of the aisle wants one set of things the other side wants none of those; but, rather their own grouping of supplies and aid. Politics in the U.S.A....ain't it grand? People can die left and right but that's okay as long as the Dems squash the Republicans and vice versa.

Leaving your political bias out of the issue, since when do either sides of the congressional isle decide whether or which foreign aid offers to accept. That is decided at the FEMA level.

FEMA cannot get it's sh*t together well enough to give assistance directions to volunteers from the US. Volunteers are frustrated that they can't find anyone in charge, that no one is assigning them to areas and tasks, and some volunteers have given up and returned home. I seen such interviews on CNN. FEMA has become, under Bush, the most fu*ked organization I have seen in my long lifetime. Where is former Director James Witt when we need him?

The only thing that saved FEMA in Florida last year was Geoge Bush's brother Jeb taking control away from the stupd director, Joe M. Allbaugh. George Bush appointed Allbaugh, another political crony with no disaster aid experience, who also recommended Brown as his replacement when he left to cash out his political connections. Bush, through FEMA, poured money into Florida in a manner that smacks of vote buying. That little escapade is finally surfacing.

This Bush administration is one of the most corrupt in US history. Citizens are paying for it with their lives and our treasure.

BBB

BBB
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:29 am
Really, BBB. Ya gotta learn to just speak up and say what is on your mind. Very Happy

I was at the point of frustration I'm hearing in your posts a couple of days ago. Had to take a break. Been a long time since I've been this angry and sad.

I posted two article on Set's Break of Day thread re: Mexico and Canada assisting. Who woulda thought we'd be welcoming the Mexican army into our borders? Who woulda thought Canada would beat our own government in arrival time to LA?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:36 am
I don't know, Walter. I just don't know.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:37 am
[quote="squinney"]Really, BBB. Ya gotta learn to just speak up and say what is on your mind. :Dquote]

I know, Squinney, but being the shy butterfly that I am, it's a real challenge to get up the nerve to speak my mind, even if it is the truth.

Strange things, our emotions. I was so angry and sad when this whole debacle started and we saw all the human suffering and property damage. But what finally broke down my tears barrier was the plight of the pets of all those poor devastated people. I was surprise to find it was the dogs who made me sob. What kind of idiot am I?

BBB
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:25 am
you sentimental old thing

all those dogs on car roofs were told the US govt. had pledged $60bn. They died happy I'm sure.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:26 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

all those dogs on car roofs were told the US govt. had pledged $60bn. They died happy I'm sure.

Are you really blaming Bush because dogs died on car roofs?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:28 am
Tico
Ticomaya wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Tico, why not? Bush's Barney was safe on Airforce One and in the Whitehouse.

See my avatar? That's my Maddy getting ready to bite your butt! He's normally a lovebug, but he hates Bush chauvinists.

BBB
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:28 am
Another over use of Rolling Eyes , but it's the only response appropriate.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:30 am
squinney wrote:
Another over use of Rolling Eyes , but it's the only response appropriate.

Hey, I was able to resist using it in my response to Steve. Show a little restraint.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:32 am
Re: Tico
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

BBB

An interesting insight into how your mind works, BBB: Since Bush's dog was not a victim of the hurricane -- a force of nature that Bush did not create, regardless of how many anti-Bushies imply that he did -- Bush is to blame because animals that were in the path of the storm died.

Sage.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:34 am
From Scientific American October 2001.

"A major hurricane could swamp New Orleans under 20 feet of water, killing thousands. Human activities along the Mississippi River have dramatically increased the risk, and now only massive re-engineering of south eastern Louisiana can save the city. A big, slow moving hurricane would drive a sea surge that would drown New Orleans under 20 feet of water...NO is a disaster waiting to happen. the city lies below sea level, in a bowl bordered by levees. And because of a damning confluence of factors, the city is sinking further. The Mississippi delta, which buffers the city, is also rapidly disappearing. Each loss gives a storm surge a clearer path to wash over the delta and pour into the bowl, trapping one million people inside and another million in surrounding communities. Extensive evacuations would be impossible because surging water would cut off the few escape routes."
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:40 am
[quote="Ticomaya] An interesting insight into how your mind works, BBB: Since Bush's dog was not a victim of the hurricane -- a force of nature that Bush did not create, regardless of how many anti-Bushies imply that he did -- Bush is to blame because animals that were in the path of the storm died.

Sage.[/quote]

Despite our many differences Tico, one of the reasons I can't help but like you is that you catch on so fast, unlike some of the other hard heads around here.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:40 am
BBB
delete duplicate post
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:41 am
BBB
delete duplicate post
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:41 am
from bbc

"Former US Secretary of State Colin Powell has said he fails to understand why better preparations were not made before Hurricane Katrina struck."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:42 am
Ticomaya wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

BBB

An interesting insight into how your mind works, BBB: Since Bush's dog was not a victim of the hurricane -- a force of nature that Bush did not create, regardless of how many anti-Bushies imply that he did -- Bush is to blame because animals that were in the path of the storm died.

Sage.

When are you going to quit lying about your claim that the many anti-Bushies imply that Bush created the hurricane force of nature? Bush may think he is god, but he's just forgotten to take his meds again. To continue to make that false statement diminishes your already weak credibility---and it is offensive.

BBB
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:50 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
When are you going to quit lying about your claim that the many anti-Bushies imply that Bush created the hurricane force of nature? Bush may think he is god, but he's just forgotten to take his meds again. To continue to make that false statement diminishes your already weak credibility---and it is offensive.

BBB

You anti-Bushies sure like to falsely accuse me of lying a lot. Does that make you feel better?

Remember this little jewel ...

Quote:
For They That Sow the Wind Shall Reap the Whirlwind

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Mon Aug 29, 7:05 PM ET

As Hurricane Katrina dismantles Mississippi's Gulf Coast, it's worth recalling the central role that Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour played in derailing the Kyoto Protocol and kiboshing President Bush's iron-clad campaign promise to regulate CO2.

In March of 2001, just two days after EPA Administrator Christie Todd Whitman's strong statement affirming Bush's CO2 promise former RNC Chief Barbour responded with an urgent memo to the White House.

Barbour, who had served as RNC Chair and Bush campaign strategist, was now representing the president's major donors from the fossil fuel industry who had enlisted him to map a Bush energy policy that would be friendly to their interests. His credentials ensured the new administration's attention.

The document, titled "Bush-Cheney Energy Policy & CO2," was addressed to Vice President Cheney, whose energy task force was then gearing up, and to several high-ranking officials with strong connections to energy and automotive concerns keenly interested in the carbon dioxide issue, including Energy Secretary
Spencer Abraham, Interior Secretary Gale Norton, Commerce Secretary Don Evans, White House chief of staff Andy Card and legislative liaison Nick Calio. Barbour pointedly omitted the names of Whitman and Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, both of whom were on record supporting CO2 caps. Barbour's memo chided these administration insiders for trying to address global warming which Barbour dismissed as a radical fringe issue.

"A moment of truth is arriving," Barbour wrote, "in the form of a decision whether this Administration's policy will be to regulate and/or tax CO2 as a pollutant. The question is whether environmental policy still prevails over energy policy with Bush-Cheney, as it did with Clinton-Gore." He derided the idea of regulating CO2 as "eco-extremism," and chided them for allowing environmental concerns to "trump good energy policy, which the country has lacked for eight years."

The memo had impact. "It was terse and highly effective, written for people without much time by a person who controls the purse strings for the Republican Party," said John Walke, a high-ranking air quality official in the Clinton administration.

On March 13, Bush reversed his previous position, announcing he would not back a CO2 restriction using the language and rationale provided by Barbour. Echoing Barbour's memo, Bush said he opposed mandatory CO2 caps, due to "the incomplete state of scientific knowledge" about global climate change.

Well, the science is clear. This month, a study published in the journal Nature by a renowned MIT climatologist linked the increasing prevalence of destructive hurricanes to human-induced global warming.

Now we are all learning what it's like to reap the whirlwind of fossil fuel dependence which Barbour and his cronies have encouraged. Our destructive addiction has given us a catastrophic war in the Middle East and--now--Katrina is giving our nation a glimpse of the climate chaos we are bequeathing our children.

In 1998, Republican icon Pat Robertson warned that hurricanes were likely to hit communities that offended God. Perhaps it was Barbour's memo that caused Katrina, at the last moment, to spare New Orleans and save its worst flailings for the Mississippi coast.
0 Replies