Wrong Answer Game

coluber2001

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 12:23 pm
@Glennn,
Q: Do people put too much trust in their coffee-cup handles?

A: People in a coffee-induced hyperactive state of near ecstasy tend to take risks and are not overly concerned about the safety of the delivery method of their habit. So long as their cup of Joe runneth over, they're happy.

Q: Golf again. There is the phrase derived from golf, "up to par." but in the golf game, the goal is to get down to par. So what happened here?

P E Dant

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2024 09:11 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: Golf again. There is the phrase derived from golf, "up to par." but in the golf game, the goal is to get down to par. So what happened here?

A: These are two different words entirely; although spelt and sounding the same they have no relevance one to the other - 'up to par' refers to 'parity' viz., 'the state or condition of being equal') - the other 'par' is an abbreviation for 'professional average result' and can be used in any sport, particularly eating contests, dog-sledding, giant pumpkin growing &c

Q: Why is a side of bacon called a 'flitch'? What does bacon have to do with timber-cutting or construction (where a 'flitch' is a strengthening plate)?

Edit to add supplementary question: - I know this is against the rules but I have to know!

Supplementary question: - Why does coluber have such a big text box for his post up there? ^ - Why can't I have a big one too?
coluber2001

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2024 11:54 am
@P E Dant,
I admit that I was not aware of a second definition of par outside the golf definition. Parity, I like that. I'm glad that this thread has a greater use than a farcical one, though that's fun in itself.

As for a response to the question, I have to do some research on the word "flitch," a new word for me, before I can respond.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2024 02:33 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Why is a side of bacon called a 'flitch'? What does bacon have to do with timber-cutting or construction (where a 'flitch' is a strengthening plate)?

A: Overworked, hungry lumber mill workers might start associating a slab of wood with a slab of bacon and perhaps even start hallucinating. At that point, it's time to take a break and eat.

Q: speaking of bacon, how did the edible part of a pig become called pork?
P E Dant

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2024 04:44 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: How did the edible part of a pig become called pork?

A: Advertising - Originally pig-meat was called pig-meat; it took a while, but eventually some bright spark came up with the line...

'Get some pork on your fork' -

Q: Why is a Court House so called... if you want to do a bit of wooing behind the courtyard pillars the police move you along! Sad
coluber2001

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2024 02:31 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Why is a Court House so called... if you want to do a bit of wooing behind the courtyard pillars the police move you along! 

A: You're likely to meet the wrong sort outside a court house too. Courting is more appropriately done on a badminton court. It's much more gentlemanly.

Q: Should we always wear a suit and tie while playing badminton?

https://notbadminton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/History-of-badminton.jpg.webp

Glennn

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2024 04:30 pm
@coluber2001,
Q: Should we always wear a suit and tie while playing badminton?

A: If you're playing strip-badminton, and you're shy, you'll be glad you did.

Q: How long after an expiration date can I eat a food product?
P E Dant

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2024 05:52 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn - Q: How long after an expiration date can I eat a food product?

A: You don't have to wait Glennn! Rip right into it! Start the day you get it!

Q: Glennn's question got me to thinking and... should politicians be given an expiration date? Or a 'Best Before' date? Or a 'Use By' date?
coluber2001

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2024 10:30 am
@P E Dant,
Q: Glennn's question got me to thinking and... should politicians be given an expiration date? Or a 'Best Before' date? Or a 'Use By' date?

A: It depends on the species of politician. Politicians are like bacteria in the colon. Some are mutualistic and aid the body of the people; some are commensal, harmless but ineffective; and some are simply parasitic.

Q: How much alcohol should you drink everyday, if any?
P E Dant

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2024 06:18 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: How much alcohol should you drink everyday, if any?

A: As much as possible! We sots are responsible for keeping millions in work! To raise the standard of living of a cork-tree bark harvester we need to drink more! Besides the good social aspects of it, we are also responsible for much anti-social behaviour, thereby keeping the Police, Judges. Lawyers, etc in work

Q: What happens if an employer wants a 'good right hand' to help them and the only employees they have are all left-handed?
coluber2001

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2024 03:44 pm
@P E Dant,

Q: What happens if an employer wants a 'good right hand' to help them and the only employees they have are all left-handed?

A: The employer will just have to be satisfied with what's left.

Q: What is it that dogs love about people so much?
P E Dant

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2024 05:46 pm
@coluber2001,
'The employer will just have to be satisfied with what's left' Laughing

coluber - Q: What is it that dogs love about people so much?

A: The humans access to a never-ending supply of food for them

Q: Please explain the Hairy ball theorem... Shocked
coluber2001

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2024 02:48 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Please explain the Hairy ball theorem... Shocked

A: Unless you have a flat head, or donut-shaped head, or use loads of grease or gel, you're always going to have a cowlick. Fortunately, cowlicks are now in style.

Q: Do blondes really have more fun?

P E Dant

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2024 04:57 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: Do blondes really have more fun?

A: More fun than... Question Question Question Question Question Confused

Q: Why aren't the steering wheels of cars in the middle of the front of the car? Think about it for a moment and it really makes sense!
coluber2001

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2024 05:14 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Why aren't the steering wheels of cars in the middle of the front of the car? Think about it for a moment and it really makes sense!

A: It would make much more sense worldwide. The car was derived from the horse-drawn buggy, and passenger room was the reason for the buggy. Still, I imagine it would be easier to drive a horse if you were sitting in the middle instead of to one side.

If you had the steering wheel in the middle, there wouldn't be room for other people on the front seat except for your small children, and your wife would have to take a back seat. I don't imagine women would be i copenhagen, and Paris n favor of that.

Q: I see that a number of cities in Europe, such as Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and Paris are prioritizing roads for bicycle use. Will that ever happen in the United states?
Glennn

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2024 05:22 pm
@coluber2001,
Q: I see that a number of cities in Europe, such as Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and Paris are prioritizing roads for bicycle use. Will that ever happen in the United states?

A: No. biden is going to phase out bicycles in the U.S. because it turns out that sweat contributes to global warming in a big way, along with the heat caused by the air resistance of the rider as he travels through the atmosphere.

Q: Do pigs make good pets?
P E Dant

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2024 06:10 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn - Q: Do pigs make good pets?

A: Pigs make excellent pets, and when you tire of them, they make excellent charcuterie

Q: Who decided that stamps should go into the top right hand corner of an envelope?
coluber2001

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2024 12:47 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Who decided that stamps should go into the top right hand corner of an envelope?

A: It's the old dextral and sinistral effect. Sinistral or sinister is left and dextral or dexterous is right. I wonder how they do it in China?

Q: Some people say that the best way to teach a child to swim is to just throw it into the water. Is this a good idea?
Glennn

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2024 03:15 pm
@coluber2001,
Q: Some people say that the best way to teach a child to swim is to just throw it into the water. Is this a good idea?

A: It sure is. It also serves to find out which children are possessed by demons. "A sinker's a stinker" as the saying goes.

Q: Who invented the first comb?
coluber2001

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2024 04:28 pm
@Glennn,

Q: Who invented the first comb?

A: it was obviously a chicken, or a rooster to be more precise. Or was it the egg that came first?

Q: Do all chickens cross roads? And if not, why not?