Wrong Answer Game

gjppps

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 10:14 am
@P E Dant,
Addition (+): The symbol "+" for addition is believed to have originated from Latin. It is an abbreviation of the Latin word "et," which means "and." Over time, this abbreviation evolved into the plus sign we use today.

Subtraction (-): The symbol "-" for subtraction is derived from the Latin word "minus," which means "less" or "subtract." It was introduced by the German mathematician Johannes Widmann in the 15th century.

Multiplication (×): The symbol "×" for multiplication is a cross-like symbol, and its use can be traced back to William Oughtred, an English mathematician, and inventor of the slide rule. He introduced this symbol in his work "Clavis Mathematicae" published in 1631.

Division (÷): The symbol "÷" for division is thought to have been introduced by Johann Rahn, a Swiss mathematician, in his book "Teutsche Algebra" published in 1659. The division sign is often used as an obelus (a symbol representing division) and looks like a horizontal line with dots above and below.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2023 01:03 pm
@gjppps,
gjppps wrote:

Addition (+): The symbol "+" for addition is believed to have originated from Latin. It is an abbreviation of the Latin word "et," which means "and." Over time, this abbreviation evolved into the plus sign we use today.

Subtraction (-): The symbol "-" for subtraction is derived from the Latin word "minus," which means "less" or "subtract." It was introduced by the German mathematician Johannes Widmann in the 15th century.

Multiplication (×): The symbol "×" for multiplication is a cross-like symbol, and its use can be traced back to William Oughtred, an English mathematician, and inventor of the slide rule. He introduced this symbol in his work "Clavis Mathematicae" published in 1631.

Division (÷): The symbol "÷" for division is thought to have been introduced by Johann Rahn, a Swiss mathematician, in his book "Teutsche Algebra" published in 1659. The division sign is often used as an obelus (a symbol representing division) and looks like a horizontal line with dots above and below.

Clearly, you missed out on the spirit of a word game. Not even going to try to figure out if your answer is wrong in the first place (THE ONLY RULE TO THIS WORD GAME = to intentionally answer the last poster's question with the WRONG answer).

AND you forgot to ask the next poster a question for them to wrongfully answer.

I'll skip redoing that previous question. I'm feeling lazy.
~~

What's the best way to avoid being hit by lightening when you find yourself in a thunderstorm and can't immediately find shelter?
coluber2001

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2023 02:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
"What's the best way to avoid being hit by lightening when you find yourself in a thunderstorm and can't immediately find shelter?"

I'm lazy too. Here's an old one, and you have to be a golfer to get it

Hold up a one iron because even God can't hit a one iron. Sorry.

How do you measure the height of a tree without climbing it if you're a boy scout?
P E Dant

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2023 06:14 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: - How do you measure the height of a tree without climbing it if you're a boy scout?

A: - If you are a good boy scout you will 'Be Prepared' - you will take your trusty axe with length markings on the handle and cut that sucker down! It is then a simple matter to use your axe handle as a measuring stick and determine an accurate length of the trunk, which you then extrapolate to the corresponding height, had the tree still been standing - that is the method this Dant used to gain his 'Firewood Collecting' badge!

Q: - Who determines the starting time for the 'Dawn Chorus'?
coluber2001

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2023 08:48 am
@P E Dant,
Q: - Who determines the starting time for the 'Dawn Chorus'?

A: The early bird who, incidentally, got the first worm.

Q: Why are aliens always pictured as skinny and weak?
P E Dant

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2023 06:32 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: Why are aliens always pictured as skinny and weak?

A: - Reverse psychology! If the masses saw these visitors as they really are there would be a run on the Stock Market! By showing them as weak and insipid the masses continue to allow the Filthy Rich to rule the roost and bleed them dry! On the several occasions that I have encountered the visitors they have shown themselves to be super intelligent, big and strong! However, they have a predilection for using their long and spiny probes! Shocked I have found it to be advantageous to wear my aluminium hat at all times! Let this be a warning!

Q: Was Jonah the inventor of whalebone corsets? I mean, he had first-hand knowledge of whale anatomy!
coluber2001

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2023 01:45 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Was Jonah the inventor of whalebone corsets? I mean, he had first-hand knowledge of whale anatomy!

A: Poor Jonah was so traumatized by his cetacean experience that he moved as far away from any body of water as he could get somewhere in the middle of the Sahara Desert. He became a paleontologist and while digging for fossils, ironically, came across a fossil of a whale ancestor.

Q: Why are conceptions and depictions of a Christian heaven so damn boring that you want to avoid it all together?

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2023 02:25 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Q: Why are conceptions and depictions of a Christian heaven so damn boring that you want to avoid it all together?

A. The Afterlife Preservation Services Bureau already landmarked Christian Heaven at the beginning of what we would call the Cambrian epoch. So, technically, Heaven is constructed and built around Proterozoic eon technology and building codes. If you find Christian heaven so damn boring? You just don't get Ediacara fauna culture.
~~
Q. What are the metaphysics of the Burger King's 1980's Where's the Beef ad campaign?
P E Dant

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2023 06:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Stepan - Q. What are the metaphysics of the Burger King's 1980's Where's the Beef ad campaign?

A: Fundamentally, Burger King posited that by asking such a question it would induce the customers to actually have a look at their burger and see for themselves where the beef is (or was supposed to be!)- if it was actually beef, that is! They had to beef up the ad campaign when a lot of customers had a beef with their claims that the disc of something actually had a bovine origin!

Q: Who decided that a story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end? Why can't a story just have a beginning? Or an end? Who was this person that decided that we should be given a beginning/middle/end instead of working it out for ourselves?
coluber2001

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2023 10:47 am
@P E Dant,
Q: Who decided that a story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end? Why can't a story just have a beginning? Or an end? Who was this person that decided that we should be given a beginning/middle/end instead of working it out for ourselves?

A: A story with just an end is a theme, not a story. A story without an end is called a tv soap opera..

Q: What would be the effect of atmospheric oxygen doubling to 42%?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2023 11:04 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Q: What would be the effect of atmospheric oxygen doubling to 42%?

A. I don't know what effect that would have on life on earth or such but since I bought $25k worth of oxygen stock options from a guy on the street corner of Broadway and 42nd? I know I'm going to be filthy rich! #Libertarian2024! #Keepyourtaxesawayfrommybillions! #nogovernmentisbetterthanbiggov
~~

Q. Who should take over as Indiana Jones 6, now that Harrison Ford is finished playing the character?

coluber2001

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2023 12:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Q. Who should take over as Indiana Jones 6, now that Harrison Ford is finished playing the character?

A: Since Paul Reubens is definitely out, we'll have to look for a fedora-wearing guy. Freddy Krueger is fictional, Bogart is dead, and Tom Landry is old, so this is a problem. Jim Carrey doesn't normally wear a fedora, but he would bring a new dimension to the character since he is, at least, three-dimensional.

Q: Would Trump be an ideal fascist leader? Millions of people say yes.
P E Dant

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2023 06:32 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: Would Trump be an ideal fascist leader? Millions of people say yes.

A: No contest!

Q: Why can't I cut a circular apple pie into exactly equal servings?
coluber2001

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2023 12:38 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Why can't I cut a circular apple pie into exactly equal servings?

A: It just doesn't make any sense. It's totally irrational, but that seems to be the nature of pie. I'm convinced that it has something to do with a round pan, a pie pan. Maybe that's why people started making cakes in squares pans.

Q: Why did the ancients build their cities on the tops of hills? Is it because the hills are alive with the sound of music?

P E Dant

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2023 06:46 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: Why did the ancients build their cities on the tops of hills? Is it because the hills are alive with the sound of music?

A: Nothing to do with music! All to do with gravity! Dear Departeds could be heaved over the walls and would roll to the bottom - saves cemetery space and keeps the noise of fighting, snarling wild dogs to a minimum - Body waste would eventually find its way to the bottom also - Rotten food, a recalcitrant neighbour, unwanted furniture etc etc would all go over the wall! It was such an easy way to adhere to the gnome 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind'

Q: Why don't pushbikes have a reverse gear? I mean, you spend $1500 on a bike and get 27 forward gears and no reverse! What's going on? Sad
coluber2001

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2023 10:55 am
@P E Dant,
Q: Why don't pushbikes have a reverse gear? I mean, you spend $1500 on a bike and get 27 forward gears and no reverse! What's going on?

A: At one time bicycles were equipped with reverse gears, but, sadly, natural selection eliminated them along with their retrograde riders. They had a tendency while going backwards to veer into traffic. The few remaining people desiring to go backwards simply changed their position on the bicycle to a backward one.

Q: Why do people drive to gyms to walk on a treadmill when they could walk for free.

P E Dant

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2023 06:32 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: Why do people drive to gyms to walk on a treadmill when they could walk for free.

A: Because the people they want to impress are at the gym, not out walking! Unless, of course, they are undercover agents!

Q: When you buy a BIG box of cereal and get it home and open it up, there is a lot of emptiness! Why don't they fill boxes of cereal to the top?
coluber2001

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2023 11:40 am
@P E Dant,
Q: When you buy a BIG box of cereal and get it home and open it up, there is a lot of emptiness! Why don't they fill boxes of cereal to the top?

A: To make room for the toy. But where's the toy? I expect a Tony the Tiger, a Captain Crunch, or a Trix Rabbit. And not one of those little plastic things, a full-sized doll to compensate for my ruined health from eating those crappy cereals.

Q: When I was a kid in the '50s, Kellogg's sent out those little single-serving boxes of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes. I thought they were great and walked around eating them from the box like candy. I thought it was candy. Now there is an aisle in the supermarket devoted to sugared cereals. Is it a good idea for children to be eating candy for breakfast?
P E Dant

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2023 06:18 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber - Q: When I was a kid in the '50s, Kellogg's sent out those little single-serving boxes of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes. I thought they were great and walked around eating them from the box like candy. I thought it was candy. Now there is an aisle in the supermarket devoted to sugared cereals. Is it a good idea for children to be eating candy for breakfast?

A: Follows here an excerpt from a letter I received from the 'Worldwide Dental Association' in response to this very question...

With regard to questions from parents concerned about the state of their children's teeth, it will be advantageous for members to inform the parents that their children eating candy for breakfast is a good thing! Especially hard candy... it strengthens their jaws, gives them a stimulated start to the day and keeps us in business! It is recommended that members give each child a bag of hard candy after each visit... we recommend 'Dant's Hard Candy For Strong Jawed Kids' brand, available at a discounted price to members

Q: Why don't rats have a bladder?
coluber2001

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2023 12:22 pm
@P E Dant,
Q: Why don't rats have bladders?

A: Rats actually have bladders, but they prefer to urinate frequently without storing it. I can appreciate that because It's similar to snorkeling. I have realized that while snorkeling or skin diving holding urine is just a superfluous habit. Peeing freely while snorkeling seems to go hand in hand with the experience of weightlessness. It's an experience of freedom, probably infantile freedom.

Q: Is one-upmanship just another neurosis?