Entertainment, political correctness and cancel culture

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 09:37 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The did the same thing with STEM. This was an acronym that used to mean "Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics". This was a small group of closely related subjects.

Then they changed it to STEAM (adding arts). This included music and dance to engineering and mathematics. Then they changed it to STREAM (adding "reading and writing and literature").

Now the word the word is meaningless. It ecompasses everything. If I say my daughter is entering a STEM field, you know what that entails. If I say STREAM, that could be integral calculus, or it could be Underwater Interpretative Dance with Paper Mache.

LGBT is a meaningful term. The other letters are just silly.

I did not know they changed STEM - haven't heard of STREAM - the idea of STEM is they are considered "hard" subjects (or sciences) - whereas they ones it seems added to this are "soft" subjects - updating it to STREAM - it should just be classes or subjects.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 09:59 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Then they changed it to STEAM (adding arts). This included music and dance to engineering and mathematics. Then they changed it to STREAM (adding "reading and writing and literature").

Now the word the word is meaningless. It ecompasses everything. If I say my daughter is entering a STEM field, you know what that entails. If I say STREAM, that could be integral calculus, or it could be Underwater Interpretative Dance with Paper Mache.

By the looks of it, STEM is still used as the main 4 letter acronym, despite there being other variations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science,_technology,_engineering,_and_mathematics

Looking at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (private school) and Pennsylvania State (public school), both also use the STEM acronym, and it is likely the other top schools are using STEM for their science and mathematics courses.

https://openlearning.mit.edu/mit-students/first-year-stem-classes-mit
https://gradschool.psu.edu/diversity/openhouse/
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 04:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Again, I am not nor have I ever been a slave. I don't care about this crap.

The only thing I care about that's slavery-related is reparations.

Reparations are free money. I was told I should contact my local U.S. congressman about this.

My dad and his parents were Jewish. I can't get any Holocaust reparations because my paternal grandparents weren't Holocaust survivors.

I can't get any reparations for Native American hardships because I am not part Native American. One of my mother's relatives looked into finding out if my mother, brother and I and the relatives on my mother's side of my family were part Native American through a genealogical DNA test. The results said we weren't.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 05:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
So a serious question:

Do you feel that your family deserve reparations because of what your ancestors went through and that their enslavement is indirectly responsible for your what I assume to be a low socioeconomic status?

Or do you just want money, no strings attached, regardless of where it came from and whatever reason?

I'm not judging. I have received financial aid in the past based on my race, ethnicity, and nationality.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 05:52 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I want free money as long as it's not blood money and/or dirty money. African Americans should get reparations - unpaid wages for services rendered by their ancestors.

The U.N. said African Americans should get reparations for slavery.

If I may ask how did you get the financial aid you're talking about? What did you say and do to get it?
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
If I may ask how did you get the financial aid you're talking about? What did you say and do to get it?

Just go through here. It is not that difficult. I rather not explain my situation, as it would be different from whatever situation you are in.
https://www.usa.gov/benefits-grants-loans
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:49 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I didn't want to know what your situation is, I just wanted to know how you acquired the funding you were talking about.

Did I answer your questions?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 07:13 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Thank you for your help and input.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 07:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I didn't want to know what your situation is, I just wanted to know how you acquired the funding you were talking about.

Did I answer your questions?

Well, you did move away from the LGBT+ representation in entertainment discussion and my questions on why you got your facts wrong on Storks, but I don't expect an answer.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 07:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I meant did I answer your questions regarding getting reparations.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 08:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I received an internal workplace email today - one thing that was referenced was this "LGBTQ+ " that might be a good way of using this acronym - that way you don't worry about excluding any letters as additional ones get added.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 09:56 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

I received an internal workplace email today - one thing that was referenced was this "LGBTQ+ " that might be a good way of using this acronym - that way you don't worry about excluding any letters as additional ones get added.

I don't understand the "Q"; what is covered by Q that isn't covered by L,G,B or T? My woke teen tells me that non-binary is a form of being trans-gendered. I don't know how widespread this doctrine is.

Is there an LGBTQ-?
Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 10:14 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Linkat wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

I don't understand the "Q"; what is covered by Q that isn't covered by L,G,B or T? My woke teen tells me that non-binary is a form of being trans-gendered. I don't know how widespread this doctrine is.

Is there an LGBTQ-?

Questioning or Queer
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 11:25 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No response from you so I assume that is a "yes".
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2021 12:40 am
@Rebelofnj,
Why does the SECULAR WORLD insist on PUTTING LABELS on everything? I HATE LGBTQIA. I am a CHRISTIAN, I have NOTHING to do with LGBTQIA.

Christians are SUPPOSED to ABSTAIN from sex until they get married.

I don't want sex. I am not interested in it. That doesn't mean I am gay. That DOES NOT MEAN I am part of LGBTQIA.

The Bible says it's BETTER TO PLEASE GOD THAN MAN (Acts 5:29).

Celibate is probably the word I want to describe myself.

I do not care what secular people think of me.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2021 02:33 am
@JGoldman10,
I don’t think it’s possible to abstain from farting.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2021 05:28 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Why does the SECULAR WORLD insist on PUTTING LABELS on everything? I HATE LGBTQIA. I am a CHRISTIAN, I have NOTHING to do with LGBTQIA.

Christians are SUPPOSED to ABSTAIN from sex until they get married.

I don't want sex. I am not interested in it. That doesn't mean I am gay. That DOES NOT MEAN I am part of LGBTQIA.

The Bible says it's BETTER TO PLEASE GOD THAN MAN (Acts 5:29).

Celibate is probably the word I want to describe myself.

I do not care what secular people think of me.

But you are putting a Christian label on yourself.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2021 05:50 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I love when Bible Thumpers cherry pick verses to suit their needs. What's even better is when it can be shown how faithless they really are with a much more simpler verse from the Bible, 1 Peter 1:22-2.3. "Love One Another, Deeply From The Heart"

From my perspective, you have absolutely no right to label yourself as Christian yet here you are, in all of your nasty, bigoted glory.

Did you ever stop to think WHY LGBTQIA fight so hard for marriage? So they can please God, just like every other sinner gets to do. I will support that view, as part of my service. You should learn from your mistakes, not relish in them.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2021 07:07 am
@JGoldman10,
If you don't want sex, meaning that you actually have no urge to have sex of any kind. Then you are asexual.

If you have a desire for sex, or an urge to have sex... but choose not to because of your faith, then you are abstinent.

You can't abstain from something you don't already want.

I was abstinent for a period of time in my youth (for religious reasons). I chose to not have sex. But, the desire for sex was still there and sex was on my mind no matter how much I tried to think about other things. Abstinence is difficult.

I think being asexual would be easy.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2021 07:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Why does the SECULAR WORLD insist on PUTTING LABELS on everything?

Every group puts label on everything. Even within Christianity, some groups consider themselves as Baptists while others see themselves as Lutherans and so on. There are also groups that see themselves as Christians but some other groups do not.