Clarity

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 11:55 pm
I just want to be clear that I do not approve of the rampant racism being expressed by many of the "right winged" posters on A2K. I do not condone it and I do not approve of it and it does not reflect my feelings or opinions in any way.

There is no place in my beliefs for that.

Thank you for your time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 5,145 • Replies: 162

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 06:57 am
@McGentrix,

McG, thank you for denouncing the knuckleheads on this site.

now, if you could only do likewise for the POTUS, i could start taking you seriously...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 07:14 am
@McGentrix,
Thank you McGentrix! I am sorry you have to do this (and sorry if I have said anything to tar you with this).

I would like to see more posters like you on both sides of the political chasm.

0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 11:24 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I just want to be clear that I do not approve of the rampant racism being expressed by many of the "right winged" posters on A2K.

Any examples to go with your claim? Remember "racism" is a very popular word and a subjective one.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 11:45 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I just want to be clear that I do not approve of the rampant racism being expressed by many of the "right winged" posters on A2K.

But you’ll still vote for their party so the NRA can continue shooting up schools.

You’re worse than the racists, unlike them you know it’s wrong but you carry on anyway.
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 12:15 pm
@McGentrix,
While it's refreshing to know (hopefully) that you disagree with racism and wish to denounce it...

Given what seems to be more than just one or two racists who post on this site; I can't help but think that both Region Philbis and Izzy have valid points. And I'd have to agree that it's hard to take someone seriously who's willing to either defend the indefensible, or defend someone who makes comments that can only really be described as "racist comments", or comments that very much have a racist tone to them. Izzy also makes a very good point in saying that, if you know something's wrong but you still support either the act or those committing the act, then as Region Philbis pointed out, it's hard to see any good faith on your part. And more to the point: it's hard to know how genuine and sincere you are about what you say.

I hope I can take you seriously, and your comments in denouncing racism are indeed sincere. I hope you do honestly believe that people of different races are just as equal as white people are. If I'm right in thinking you might be sincere in your comments, I wish you all the best regardless of which side of the political fence you sit. As I don't believe that all Republicans are racists, and I know a couple of people where I live that are what you would call "left wing voters" that are just as racist as some posters here are.

With all that said, I will be honest in saying, it's all well and good "talking the talk", but will you "walk the walk" as it were? Because until I see that (be that from yourself or anyone else, regardless of the subject/issue), then there would still be at least some doubt in my mind regarding how sincere said comments are...
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 12:59 pm
@justaguy2,
justaguy2 wrote:

While it's refreshing to know (hopefully) that you disagree with racism and wish to denounce it...

Given what seems to be more than just one or two racists who post on this site; I can't help but think that both Region Philbis and Izzy have valid points. And I'd have to agree that it's hard to take someone seriously who's willing to either defend the indefensible, or defend someone who makes comments that can only really be described as "racist comments", or comments that very much have a racist tone to them. Izzy also makes a very good point in saying that, if you know something's wrong but you still support either the act or those committing the act, then as Region Philbis pointed out, it's hard to see any good faith on your part. And more to the point: it's hard to know how genuine and sincere you are about what you say.

I hope I can take you seriously, and your comments in denouncing racism are indeed sincere. I hope you do honestly believe that people of different races are just as equal as white people are. If I'm right in thinking you might be sincere in your comments, I wish you all the best regardless of which side of the political fence you sit. As and I know a couple of people where I live that are what you would call "left wing voters" that are just as racist as some posters here are.

With all that said, I will be honest in saying, it's all well and good "talking the talk", but will you "walk the walk" as it were? Because until I see that (be that from yourself or anyone else, regardless of the subject/issue), then there would still be at least some doubt in my mind regarding how sincere said comments are...

BINGO!

Izzy, Region, and you are hitting this nail squarely on its head. If McG truly feels as he says he does (and I hope he does) he would be abandoning much of his support for the GOP and the GOP "product/brand."

In any case, you wrote, "...I don't believe that all Republicans are racists... ."

That is worth a second look. It is apparent to me that NOT every Republican is a racist...or even close. But EVERY AVOWED racist I know or know of...supports the Republican Party agenda.

And that says more about the Republicans than the comment, "Not every Republican is a racist."
maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 01:35 pm
Extremism is based on a a basic lie. It says that "everyone is an extremist". It posits that either you agree with me completely, or you are evil. If you are evil than you can't agree with me on anything (or you are lying).

Think about this... because it really is possible for someone....

1. To question whether police departments should be defended without wanting black people to be killed.

2. To support gun rights without wanting kids in schools to be shot.

3. To support abortion rights and question whether transgender men should be allowed in traditionally women's spaces.

If someone supports same-sex marriage they support same-sex marriage. Their views on gun rights and police reform and socialized medicine have nothing to do with it. I reject the idiotic idea that you are either a left-wing progressive or a fascist.

I stand up for McGentrix. Izzy and friends are full of crap. I disagree with McGentrix on many issues, but so what. He is publicly denouncing racism, and he is standing up to people on his own side of the political spectrum.

I applaud him for this. You should too.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 01:45 pm
@maxdancona,
If you are a liberal, and you want conservatives to reject the more ugly extreme elements in their side of the political spectrum.

1) You should applaud them when they do. When someone on the other side does the right thing, it is appropriate to graciously accept it.

2) You should likewise be willing to reject the more ugly extreme elements on your side of the political spectrum.

If you are a liberal and you just want to burn down police stations and yell about Nazis, then carry on.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 01:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
This is all a process. I think it is possible to understand that there is a problem with racism in this country to to recognize how that impacts policing and economic opportunity in many areas but still be wedded to Republican positions on other issues to the point where you can't disengage. We all make compromises when we vote. I think the difference now is that it is pretty clear that the top of the Republican party is actively promoting racism/racists beliefs. That might have been easier to overlook four years ago but it's hard to do today. The question is where is the line between compromise and complicity.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:01 pm
@engineer,
Politically speaking

The Democrats lost in 2016 because Trump painted them as an elitist angry mob. This message resonated because many American looked at the Democrats and the message rang true.

Trump will lose in 2020 because over the past 4 years when Americans compare the Trump administration to the Democrats... the Democrats don't look so bad any more. Add to the fact that Biden is about as non-threatening to "benign" White privilege as one could imagine and Trump has been rendered impotent.

This is a unique year for the Democrats. However there will still be work to be done to become the party of middle America again.

If in 4 years we are still having angry mobs screaming because Trader Joe's uses the phrase "Trader Jose's", the Republicans will be able to make another run to be the reasonable party.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:09 pm
@engineer,
Thank your for that respose, Engineer.

You mentioned, "The question is where is the line between compromise and complicity."

I'm delighted I am not someone who has to make that determination. I'm sure there are many Republicans who will give it LOTS of consideration...before coming down on one side or the other.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I'm delighted I am not someone who has to make that determination.

Of course you are someone who has to make that determination, Frank.

Are you complicit with people who are looting businesses and burning down police stations? I don't buy the good vs. evil narrative here.

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:22 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
I'm delighted I am not someone who has to make that determination.

Of course you are someone who has to make that determination, Frank.

Are you complicit with people who are looting businesses and burning down police stations? I don't buy the good vs. evil narrative here.

I DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION BETWEEN COMPROMISE OR COMPLICITY WITH THE REPUBLICAN SCUM OF AMERICA, Max.

I just do not have to do that.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION BETWEEN COMPROMISE OR COMPLICITY WITH THE REPUBLICAN SCUM OF AMERICA, Max.

Yes, that is correct, Frank.

But you do have to make a decision between compromise or complicity with the Democratic scum of America.

(I am just standing up for the Americans, Democratic or Republican, who aren't scum.)
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Yes, that is correct, Frank.

But you do have to make a decision between compromise or complicity with the Democratic scum of America.

(I am just standing up for the Americans, Democratic or Republican, who aren't scum.)

No you are not. You are making a pretense of ethical considerations. If you have to consider the problem of whether to back what the GOP has become...don't bother. Your ethical conduct is already so compromised, there is no hope of remediation.

In effect, you are an ethically challenged being in a debate with your ethically challenged self. Neither side can win. Neither side should.

And the only thing I have to consider is whether to vote for Trump or Biden. That is as much a problem as voting between having your balls cut off...or spending time in bed with Jessica Alba.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
1. I reject the premise that one side is all good and the other side is all evil. Likewise I reject the idea that either side should "win" across the board. I agree with Democrats on more things than I agree with Republicans. There are a few key issues where I disagree with Democrats.

2. I would not want a one-party country... even if the one party was right and true and stood for what all good people must believe. So when you say "neither side should win"... you are right. Of course if you go issue by issue I can tell you what the result should be.

3. I am going to vote for Biden. That doesn't mean I can't speak out against the excesses of the Democratic party or defend the Republican stance on a couple of issues where I agree with them.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I will also point out that Izzy and crew weren't attacking Republicans as a group. They were attacking McGentrix... an individual human being and a member here.

McGentrix has the right to hold his own opinions without being responsible for stances taken by any group or party. I support Black Lives Matter. That doesn't make me responsible for the acts of arson (which I condemn). Conservatives and liberals play the same game.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 03:15 pm
@maxdancona,
It’s not about a group, it’s about supporting Donald Trump and his attendant racism.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 03:18 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

1. I reject the premise that one side is all good and the other side is all evil.

I agree. I've never suggested otherwise.

Quote:
Likewise I reject the idea that either side should "win" across the board. I agree with Democrats on more things than I agree with Republicans. There are a few key issues where I disagree with Democrats.

Me, too.

Quote:
2. I would not want a one-party country... even if the one party was right and true and stood for what all good people must believe. So when you say "neither side should win"... you are right. Of course if you go issue by issue I can tell you what the result should be.

Meh!

Quote:
3. I am going to vote for Biden. That doesn't mean I can't speak out against the excesses of the Democratic party or defend the Republican stance on a couple of issues where I agree with them.

Free country, Max. Do what you will.
0 Replies