Did George Floyd ever threaten anyone's life? Did he threaten the lives of the cops who subdued him?

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 09:28 pm
Hi. I'm just a bit curious about this. As far I know George Floyd didn't threaten anyone's life. As far I know he didn't threaten the lives of the cops who subdued him. Or did he?

I couldn't find anything online that indicates that he ever threatened anyone else's life, including the lives of the four cops who victimized him.

If he did someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I wanted to post about this in the thread I started about protesting, rioting and looting in the midst of the Covid-19 crisis but someone disabled further posts being made to that thread because it ended in a flame war.

I know George Floyd was guilty of being in possession of a counterfeit $20 bill and for resisting arrest. If he didn't threaten the lives of the cops who subdued him the officers had no right to kill him.

Killing him by sufficating him to death was excessive and uncalled for.

Please help. Thank you.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 14,604 • Replies: 174

glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 09:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
There was an allegation about a counterfeit $20....there may have actually been a counterfeit $20 but so far there is no evidence that George Floyd was the person with the counterfeit bill..............The only thing we know for certain is that George Floyd was pulled out of car, handcuffed, forced onto the ground on his stomach with a blissful policeman kneeling on his neck until he drained the life out of him.........Twenty dollars, think about that........my young cousin was murdered by a crack addict in his home...everything was on tape, she got 25 years, 15 suspended, one year time served, and eligible for parole in 5 years. She's out, my cousin is still dead.................She fought when she was arrested but since she didn't have counterfeit money and she was white none of the policemen felt obliged to squeeze the breath out of her until she died. Go figure.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 09:48 pm
@glitterbag,
Did Floyd attack the cops who subdued him? I watched one surveillance video of the incident and didn't see him attacking them. I should probably watch another one. There was probably more than one surveillance camera in the area where the incident occurred that recorded it.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 09:51 pm
@glitterbag,
Someone should ask the cops who subdued Floyd how they would have felt if some other police officers mishandled a friend and/or relative of theirs they way they did Floyd. I'm very curious to know what their reaction would be.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 09:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
No, Mr. Floyd was cooperative...he was handcuffed and had two grown men squeezing the life out of him. If you can't breathe and attempt to adjust your position...thats not defiance.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 09:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
They would be outraged....but it happens all the time......
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 09:55 pm
@glitterbag,
Then those cops were just a bunch of racist pigs.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 10:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
It's more than racist, have you ever seen the way they talk to women??? It's a power trip for a lot of these guys. I had a break-in when my husband was TDY, the neanderthals who arrived were curious if I had a boyfriend who might be pissed about something........Yeah, me and my young children were the reason some asshole tried to assault me.

It was lazy, but what can you do? Not much really....
vikorr

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 10:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
Here in Queensland, Australia, we have a young child who died after being seen by 21 Child Safety officers, with a Coronial Inquest saying the Child Safety Department failed the child in just about every way possible. Now social workers join such departments because they care about people - so how is it at all possible that 21...yes 21 child safety officers looked into the the case and failed the child?

Why is that at all relevant? Because to me it speaks of the same type of underlying problems that lead to the death of George Floyd - systematic problems. The culture of all large organisations tends to follow its reward structure (which includes workloads & what impacts workloads, rewards, incentives, promotion system, discipline, what causes them the most problems from management etc) - and 21 safety officers failing a child speaks of them being deterred from doing their job by the reward structure.

Did the officer on his neck mean to kill him? I doubt it - he didn't have a look of hatred or any such intent on his face while he was kneeling on his neck - but he should face at the very least a manslaughter charge (positional asphyxiation is a well enough known phenomena, and even if it wasn't known by the officer on his neck or the others - a man telling you he can't breathe while handcuffed and offering little to no resistance can be handled in a much, much safer manner). But I also don't doubt that the system, which tolerated 19 complaints of excessive force, didn't serve either the officer (the on on the victims neck), nor the victim. Likely there is also a culture within police forces of 'us against them', and likely such is both tolerated, and just as likely there is little psychological support to help prevent it. Just as likely there are other systematic issues behind this.

That said, everyone is responsible for their decisions, and it seem to me he should at least face manslaughter charges. I really don't see how murder would get up.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 10:23 pm
@vikorr,
When all the life was drained out of him, his body would have gone limp.....but the policeman on his neck kept applying pressure so that it would be impossible for him to survive.......it was vicious, unconscionable and intentional ..... it makes me very sad.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 10:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Unfortunately there are racist cops who want to think African American males are "animals"; it's like they are programmed to think that.

I said in another thread that historically police forces came about in the U.S. as a means to control the slaves. That is where such racist thinking originated.

There are no machines to detect if people are racist or not before they get hired to work in any police force. People can't be screened for that.

Why aren't more cops getting "sensitivity training"? That should be mandatory if you want to work for the police.

However I think the concept of "sensitivity training" is a bit ridiculous and racist in itself. Cops should be able to relate to anyone, including people that "don't look like them." The idea of instituting "sensitivity training" in the first place seems to infer that there are cops that, for whatever reason, don't know how to relate to anyone and don't know how to relate to people that "don't look like them". That is extremely stupid.

If you're an American and you were born and raised in the U.S. I should be able to relate to you regardless of whatever your ethnicity is. America is a Western nation and most Americans speak English.

If you were a foreigner who recently moved to the U.S. and you don't understand and/or speak English well, and you aren't that familiar with how things are in the U.S. yet that's another story.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 10:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Are you a Christian? You can pray- pray for a hedge of protection around yourself and your children.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 10:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'll write tomorrow.....it's getting very late for me.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 10:51 pm
@glitterbag,
Okay.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 11:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Then those cops were just a bunch of racist pigs.

Especially the black one.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 01:10 am
@coldjoint,
What Black cop?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 01:12 am
I think people here are forgetting, as my American Christian penpal just reminded me, that there were drugs in Floyd's system. That contributed to his death as well.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 02:08 am
@JGoldman10,
What about the Charleston church shooting where nine African Americans were murdered during bible study?

Where was their hedge?

Are you saying they deserved to die because they weren’t praying hard enough?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 02:42 am
@coldjoint,
You've reminded me of an old song. This song came out when I was in high school:

Are you familiar with it? Have you heard it before?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 02:54 am
@izzythepush,
I think the reason that Charleston church massacre happened was because there were homosexuals running the church and God wasn't pleased, if I'm not mistaken.

I remember my mother saying something about this.