Further Discussion About Covid-19 and the Covid-19 Crisis 2020

bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 02:06 pm
@Rebelofnj,
He's been unconscious for over a week. When it was obvious that he was not going to pull out, he was put on life support so my brother could get to S Dak in these plague days to say good bye. Bruce got there on Sunday and they unplugged Bobby. He passed on Monday.

I'm not happy, but I am accepting of the inevitable. In my mind Bobby never gave in or up with his alcoholism. He was in voluntary rehab four or five times and was in rehab again when he was stricken a couple of weeks ago. He was voluntarily sober when he died and I count that a victory on his side. He did not die a drunk.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
And I am sorry another person I consider at the very least an internet friend has gone through this, too.

I'm sorry my story has dredged up the memories of your wife's passing.
JGoldman10

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 02:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You should be praying for the salvations of your family members including the Unsaved ones. My mother and I pray for our family members about that. We pray that the Saved members are the people God wants them to be and we pray that the Unsaved of our families get Saved.

We pray that the Lord will put men and women of God in the paths of the Unsaved members of our family to minister to them about the Gospel and that the Lord will touch their hearts and give them a spirit of conviction to give their lives over to Christ.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 02:19 pm
@chai2,
Is just a sad thing. Alcoholism has had such widespread effect on so many of our lives. The cost is unbelievable. Its just something we don't get over. I wish I knew what to say.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 02:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
I follow the way I am led by the Spirit. And I'm sure you do, too.

I understand I am not going to lead anyone anywhere if I'm not right with the Spirit. And I am also sure I'm not leading if I'm shoving.

Watch a shepherd and a flock with sheep dogs. At no point are they biting the sheep or shoving them. At no point are the sheep badgered. The shepard almost never yells and talks very little, its done by whistles and pointing with his crook and a few simple words. Sounds like Christ and a shepherd is a wonderful and apt analogy. No where in the NT does Christ angrily say "or else".

I try to take my lead from the beatitudes, I try to be a good sheep dog. I don't bark, I try to lead taking my cues from Christ. Remebering of coursr that there very little difference between me and the wolves. Just the accepting the shepherd and the guiding the sheep.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 03:31 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You’ve got nothing to be sorry about. It was a long time ago.

On a brighter note, I’ve just stuck my first book on Kindle.
izzythepush

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 03:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
You should stop telling other people what to do and take a serious look at yourself. Being “saved” involves a lot more than name checking Jesus every five minutes and insulting everyone who disagrees with you, albeit in an archaic manner.

It involves thinking of others, not just yourself, and not spreading hate of groups who are different from yourself.

“The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity.”

Yeats.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 03:43 pm
@izzythepush,
What book are you reading on Kindle? I'm reading Dune by Frank Herbert (classic sci-fi) and Magic by William Goldman (about a ventriloquist who starts getting crazy).
Linkat

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 03:52 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Or, he really is a simpleton, and equally loves attention of any kinds.

Chai - I honestly think he lacks any sort of social ability. I could be wrong but I wouldn't doubt if he has some sort of autism. I do (probably because I am peculiar) like to read his interactions. Either he is an excellent actor or he is very socially inept. I think he generally means well but like you have stated many of things he says comes across similar to how a young child would react and speak.

What I read sounds like a social simpleton - he simply does not comprehend how to deal with average society - he has a very limited knowledge of life socially outside his circle.
chai2

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 03:56 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I thought the name Wm Goldman sounded familiar. I was surprised at some of the books and screenplays he wrote that we all know well.

I must confess, ventriloquist dummies and dolls I would have to say is a bit of a fear of mine.

I never enjoyed playing with dolls as a child. Not that I lacked imagination, but between the expectation of adults (which made my eyes roll) that I was supposed to be cute and love dolls, and the fact that I'm not at all maternal left me bored to tears with them. My feelings were "What the hell am I supposed to do with this thing?"

Between an old episode of Night Gallery about evil doll, and the fact my sister had about 20 of them lined up on a shelf, and their eyes would follow me around the room, I was thoroughly creeped out. I not exactly avoid them, but I wouldn't buy one for a decoration or anything.

Ventriloquit dummies? Those little bastards creep ALL over the house and want nothing more than to drive you insane and have you jump out a 10 story window.

Linkat

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 04:04 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I must confess, ventriloquist dummies and dolls I would have to say is a bit of a fear of mine.

Ventriloquit dummies? Those little bastards creep ALL over the house and want nothing more than to drive you insane and have you jump out a 10 story window.

I remember having this fear as a child - I remember seeing some soap opera my mother was watching and in it - it took place in the hospital - and this ventriloquist came in to entertain the children in the hospital... it was supposed to be fun for the kids - I was terrified and hated that thing.

And since then Howdy Doody whatever the heck - I would see one and be so scared. My parents must have had a sense of humor (dark humor) - I got a ventriloquist doll for Christmas one year - they knew I hated those things.

But I did take the instructions and try to learn how to do this. That thing was still creepy and I remember years later the head fell off and we used it as a Halloween decoration.

And I remember a Movie with a crazy ventriloquist - I wonder if it was off that book. So now thanks - I am going to have to read that book.
Linkat

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 04:07 pm
@Linkat,
Yes it is

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/Magicposter.jpg

And I remember seeing it -
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 04:08 pm
@chai2,
I bought the book when it was on sale and I loved Goldman's The Princess Bride.

So far, the book is okay-ish, and not as scary as you may think. The first half is basically back story on the characters, including a long passage of a 1940s football game, then the second half is a love story that gets dark. The conversations between the magician Corky and his dummy do get increasingly creepy.

Never been a fan of creepy dummies and puppets ever since seeing Child's Play as a kid.
chai2

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 04:22 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I either watched or read a little bit of the PB, but it wasn't my cup of darjeeling.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 04:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
What makes you think I don't? I don't pray for the souls of the dead, because it would be presumptuous of me to think my righteousness vouches for another's soul.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 04:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Detective novel? What's the title?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 07:52 pm
@Linkat,
I've been told by others I "lack social graces", or have been called "weird" or "peculiar". You aren't the first person to criticize my behavior.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 08:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
Found this just about 10 minutes ago:

2 cats in NY become first US pets to test positive for virus
Source: AP

Two pet cats in New York state have tested positive for the coronavirus, marking the first confirmed cases in companion animals in the United States, federal officials said Wednesday.

The cats, which had mild respiratory illnesses and are expected to recover, are thought to have contracted the virus from people in their households or neighborhoods, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

The finding, which comes after positive tests in some tigers and lions at the Bronx Zoo, adds to a small number of confirmed cases of the virus in animals worldwide. U.S. authorities say that while it appears some animals can get the virus from people, there's no indication the animals are transmitting it to human beings.

"We don't want people to panic. We don't want people to be afraid of pets" or to rush to test them en masse, said Dr. Casey Barton Behravesh, a CDC official who works on human-animal health connections. "There's no evidence that pets are playing a role in spreading this disease to people." Still, the CDC is recommending that people prevent their pets from interacting with people or animals outside their homes -- by keeping cats indoors and dogs out of dog parks, for instance.

Read more: https://apnews.com/37328ab8db093b8346e26e1840b48af8?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=APEastRegion
RABEL222

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 08:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
So they have enough test kits to test cats but not humans? Figures.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 08:43 pm
@RABEL222,
As much as I love my cat, that was my first question, too. But he's never left this house except for the back porch in his five years so I'm not eyeing him. Yet.