Further Discussion About Covid-19 and the Covid-19 Crisis 2020

chai2

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 08:45 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I don’t think this test was done for the benefit of the cat, but for the potential danger to other humans.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 09:37 pm
@chai2,
That's what I think, too. I think an investigation into infection sources and targets is a good idea.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:11 am
Dan Patrick’s (my Lt Gov of Texas) motivation for opening Texas back up for business, according to journalist George Chidi:

“If there's no state order calling for businesses to be closed, the people who are unemployed can no longer claim that their unemployment is involuntary, even if it would be utter idiocy for them to return to work."

"A hairdresser or a massage therapist cannot maintain social distance. But they can certainly file for relief.. unless the law says they can work."

‘Gyms, fitness centers, bowling alleys, body art studios, barbers, cosmetologists, hair designers, nail care artists, estheticians..."

"Not banks. Not software firms. Not factories. Not schools."

"It is no coincidence that the businesses on this list are staffed by relatively poor people. Because that's who he wants off the unemployment rolls..."

Pure evil.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 01:22 pm
Fox News Hosts Make Fun of CNN Anchors Who've Contracted Coronavirus
Source: The Daily Beast

Fox News host Laura Ingraham and network contributor Raymond Arroyo took aim Wednesday night at CNN anchors who have tested positive for the new coronavirus, calling the infections a “deliberate attempt” by the network to “graft” the anchors onto the crisis and likening the situation to a reality show.

In recent weeks, at least three CNN anchors have announced they have been stricken with COVID-19: Chris Cuomo, Brooke Baldwin, and Richard Quest. Cuomo remained on the air while he was sick, at times openly discussing his symptoms with CNN medical contributor Dr. Sanjay Gupta and his brother, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo. The Cuomo Prime Time host’s teenage son and wife have also since contracted the virus.

On Wednesday during a regular Ingraham Angle segment called “Seen and Unseen,” Arroyo—a frequent Ingraham guest and occasional guest host—grumbled that CNN personalities have increasingly become part of the pandemic story.

"A number of them have contracted the virus and emoted their personal experiences,” he continued. “It almost appears they’ve launched a series of new reality shows. You could call this one ‘Are You Sicker Than a CNN Anchor?’”

Read more: https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-laura-ingraham-and-raymond-arroyo-make-fun-of-cnn-anchors-who-have-contracted-coronavirus

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 09:02 pm
"Just going to hold his hand for a bit, I don't think he has long"

https://i.imgur.com/YnTk0uB.jpg

A photo from inside a Central Texas hospital gives a glimpse inside a hospital hall to see so vividly, and so painfully, the toll of the virus on patients and caretakers.

It is of nurse Colby Hutson, who wrote two simple sentences, never intended for a social media moment.

"Just going to hold his hand for a bit," he scrawled with a Sharpie. "I don't think he has long."

In full protective gear, Hutson, on duty at Ascension Seton Hays, was with a patient thought to have COVID-19.

He decided to stay in an isolation room longer than expected and wanted to tell his fellow nurses why.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/nurse-photo-ascension-seton-hays-hospital-toll-of-covid-19/269-f4d87d61-c0fd-4769-bee3-067b53b1534a
JGoldman10

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 09:11 pm
I went grocery shopping at my nearby local plaza recently as of the time of this post and felt like I was in a bad sci-fi movie when I saw dozens of people walking around with their faces covered.
chai2

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 09:43 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I'm not going to click on the link because I don't think this should have become a social media moment. I'm sorry I read the picture.

Christ Almighty, people can't even have privacy when they're ******* dying. The more I type, the more this circus pisses me off.
bobsal u1553115

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 10:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I saw dozens of people walking around with their faces covered.

Did you take the hint?
chai2

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 10:23 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It's as if this is the first time he's left the house in 2 months.

What are all these people doing wearing masks? I should start a thread on it on A2k and see if anyone can help me.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 10:25 pm
@chai2,
The patient's privacy was preserved. This is commentary on those who offer solace to those who can't be near loved ones as they transition on.

In the same situation, which is a distinct possibility, I would want my privacy from outsiders, too. But even more: I would very much want someone holding my hand, too.

On Monday I get the labs for my Cat-scan the following Monday. This is to see if my bladder cancer/prostate cancer which has resisted extensive BCG infusions and is of a type that will not respond to either chemo or radiation and caused me to have my urine bladder/prostate and abdominal lymph nodes removed last June has worked. And that surgery followed a partial colon resection two years earlier plus the five cyst removal before and after the colon surgery. I believe that actually gives me insight into how that patient feels.

Thank G*d for the nurses at Temple VA who took a lot of extra time and a lot of effort to make me comfortable after the colon and bladder surgeries. I felt pretty terrible after both and had complications with the bladder surgery because they use a piece of colon to create a new way to urinate. And I had little colon left because of the earlier surgery. I felt near death and this surgery can kill. The threat is that this cancer might go through the Ureters to my kidneys. If that happens, well, its curtain for me.

You have no idea how good it feels at 2:30AM when a nurse who absolutely doesn't have to be in room is there holding your hand. I do. Many times including day I only have a fuzzy memory of.

Bless that nurse in Austin. Bless all those nurses in Temple

And I hope you never get a second hand smokers cancer like I have.

BTW My wife and I wear masks and HIGHLY recommend everyone should.

I know I've just blew my own privacy and the mouth breathers will have fun with it I am sure, and so be it. But I think too highly of you to have you miss the point of that OP.
JGoldman10

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 12:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Yes. There were signs posted outside certain stores that required customers BY LAW yo wear masks or something covering their faces before entering them. I ended up wrapping a small tote around my face before going in certain stores.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 06:25 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I've been told by others I "lack social graces", or have been called "weird" or "peculiar". You aren't the first person to criticize my behavior.

for the record I am not criticizing your behavior or at least I was not trying to - everyone has quirks - I definitely have my own.

I was trying to give my thoughts on why you seem to lack some social graces or what the average person's viewpoint of social graces are. We are not all the same but you do seem to be a bit different than the average person in your social behavior.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 06:27 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I'm not going to click on the link because I don't think this should have become a social media moment. I'm sorry I read the picture.

Christ Almighty, people can't even have privacy when they're ******* dying. The more I type, the more this circus pisses me off.

Fortunately it is something that is blocked on my work computer.

My question is - who is the idiot that thought it was a good idea to post this? And did they even think it might be a good idea to reach out to the family first?
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 06:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You choose to post what you did -

It would be different if the person involved and/or their family choose this.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 07:31 am
@Linkat,
The fact we do not know who it was in that IC unit shows all privacy was preserved. There is nothing in that photo that can begin to ID that fellow human being. What we see is the humanity of someone else without any obligation comforting another someone else - alone, very ill, in their last moments.

That photo comforts me. It confirms that I will not die alone in a hospital room. It puts humanity into a pandemic that for a lot us turns only into reports of error, confusion, panic and cold stark numbers. Only news. Where whinging about masks, the inability to get a haircut, to sit in a restaurant, to buy a 24 pack of toilet paper is the worst of it. In Travis county traveling without a mask right now will get you a $1000 fine and maybe some jail, meeting in a group of more than ten without social distancing is just not allowed.

This patients family would not have been allowed in his room and probably not even on the ward. His family could be miles away or living down the street, the patient was dying dying alone.

We need to guard against allowing this thing to turn into what Joseph Stalin once described: the death of one man is a tragedy, the death of thousands is a statistic.

When I go I want to be thought of as more than a statistic and an open bed.

If anyone here thinks that OP is a terrible thing in itself (I think the situation that put the unknown/unknowable patient into this truly tragic circumstance is whats really terrible) I would respectfully put it NSFW myself.

All of this is another unfortunate effect of the Covid19 experience.

BTW: there is nothing more at the link. I posted the complete article. This is Austin and people by and large are pretty darn respecting and tolerant.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 07:38 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
You choose to post what you did -
It would be different if the person involved and/or their family choose this.

To be fair, the picture doesn't show the patient. You can only see a little bit of the hospital bed. It's really just a picture of a nurse holding up a sign.

There were pictures from the Vietnam War that were a lot more intrusive, like that little girl who was napalmed. Or that captured VC who was sobbing as he walked into the city and was then shot in the head as he walked. I don't think family permission was given for those pictures.
Linkat

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 07:42 am
@oralloy,
thanks as I said I could not view the picture - from the sounds of what I read it sounded like someone's privacy was invaded.

As far as what you mention on the little girl and other similar pictures - I would consider that an invasion of privacy and cruel to her family.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 07:51 am
@oralloy,
Thank-you, oralloy. That means a lot to me, what you said and what you didn't say.
oralloy

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 08:01 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You're welcome - both you and Linkat.

I'm not sure what I didn't say. But since I didn't say it, I guess it's all good.

Try to stay safe everyone.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 08:26 am
@oralloy,
Stay safe yourself. We are in this together. And we all will get through this.
0 Replies