Further Discussion About Covid-19 and the Covid-19 Crisis 2020

izzythepush

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 10:59 am
@JGoldman10,
It didn’t stop Judge Dredd and Batman appearing together, and they were in different countries.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 11:16 am
@JGoldman10,
There is no official word that DC and Marvel are working on any crossover together. There is an open letter from Newsarama asking for a crossover, but neither DC or Marvel commented on it.

Being geographically separated miles away doesn't matter when working together in comics. Writer Brian Michael Bendis (Spider-Man, Daredevil, Superman, etc) is based in Portland, Oregon, and he has worked artist Sara Pichelli for years, even though she lives in Italy and the two rarely meet in person.
So for a while, an Oregon writer and an Italian artist worked on a comic based in New York City, for a company based in Los Angeles.

Many comic writers and artists don't live anywhere near New York or Los Angeles, but they all make regular contributions to the companies.

If a crossover were to happen, the teams can communicate by conference calls.
JGoldman10

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 11:40 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

There is no official word that DC and Marvel are working on any crossover together. There is an open letter from Newsarama asking for a crossover, but neither DC or Marvel commented on it.

Being geographically separated miles away doesn't matter when working together in comics. Writer Brian Michael Bendis (Spider-Man, Daredevil, Superman, etc) is based in Portland, Oregon, and he has worked with artist Sara Pichelli for years, even though she lives in Italy and the two rarely meet in person. So for a while, an Oregon writer and an Italian artist worked on a comic based in New York City, for a company based in Los Angeles.

Many comic writers and artists don't live anywhere near New York or
Los Angeles, but they all make regular contributions to the companies.

If a crossover were to happen, the teams can communicate by conference calls.

-FIXED.

So how are writers and artists able to work with each other without working in person? One person does part of the work and then sends his material elsewhere for another person to work on? And they go back and forth with it?

Is this considered freelancing?
Rebelofnj

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 12:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
Writer writes a script, editor reviews script, artist(s) draws with revised script.

You wanted to be a comic creator, and went to an art school. I went to a university for a non creative career. And yet I know how comics are made.

Comic creators were able to work away from the company offices for years. Alan Moore has lived in Northampton, United Kingdom in his entire life, but since the 1980s he was able to work with DC, Image Comics, and ironically America's Best Comics.
JGoldman10

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 01:00 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Animation was my major, not Illustration and Cartooning. I didn't minor in Illustration and Cartooning. I know little about how the comic-making process works. I took a course at a local art school in comic book writing and creativity about a decade ago. The instructor at the time gave the class a brief overview of how the process works. He taught us a bit on writing for comics. He also did some drawing for us and taught us a few drawing techniques. He also gave us a list of resources on comic book production - writing and narrative, drawing, etc. He showed us Sone graphic novels he worked on. I asked him about funding for comics. He said he wasn't an expert on that - he paid out of his own pocket to get his comics developed and produced and published.

You aren't answering the question. Do comics artists and writers mail material back and forth to each other if they aren't working in person with each other?

I know for some classic American cartoon shows part of the animation work was done overseas.
JGoldman10

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 01:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Moore was able to freelance from home?
JGoldman10

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 01:26 pm
Do artists and writers who don't work with each other in person communicate with each other via conference calls?
Rebelofnj

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 01:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Animation was my major, not Illustration and Cartooning.

Except you tried to sell your comic to a major comic publisher in the late 1990s.
Even then, you have some knowledge on how to create a comic from an educated source, whereas I know from reading books and listening to interviews with comic creators.

Anyway, emails and/or physical mail is exchanged when the comic creators are far from each other. It is not a hard thing to think about.
JGoldman10

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 01:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I didn't submit any comic-related material to any comic book publisher in the late '90s. I submitted pencils and scripts for an original comic book series I wanted to develop and have DC publish in 2000 or 2001.
Rebelofnj

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 01:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes. He is only a writer. His presence is not needed at company meetings. Besides, he mainly does independent comics since the 1990s.

Comic creators do not have to live in the same city as the company. It has been that way for decades. Writer Patricia Highsmith wrote for Timely Comics (NYC) and Fawcett Comics (Minnesota) while living in Mexico in the 1940s.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 01:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes. How do you think they communicate with each other? Creators, and people in general, use video calls like Skype as well.

Based on these questions, are you planning to corroborate with a creator?
Rebelofnj

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 01:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
To correct my original statement:
you tried to sell your comic to a major comic publisher (DC) in the early 2000s.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 02:05 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't know too much about current tech. When you say "video conferencing" I assume there's interfacing involved. Kind of like how people can communicate via web cams with other people online. However with interfacing online there's some typing involved. I've never seen interfacing online that didn't involve typing.

I never thought about corroborating with another creator. I did think about getting someone to help me co-write my comics.
Rebelofnj

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 02:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
It is not even current tech. Conference calls and business teleconference have existed since the 1960s. Nearly all phones, landlines and cellular, have the capabilities to do conference calls.
JGoldman10

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 02:22 pm
@Rebelofnj,
You're confusing me. Video conference call tech has been around since the '60s? People could see each other and communicate via screens back then? Or are you talking about regular conference calling, as in making three-way calls over a phone?
Rebelofnj

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 02:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
The United States would not see its first public videophone booths until 1964, when AT&T installed their earliest commercial videophone units, the Picturephone "Mod I", in booths that were set up in New York's Grand Central Terminal, Washington D.C., and Chicago.

Very expensive videoconferencing systems rapidly evolved throughout the 1980s and 1990s from proprietary equipment, software and network requirements to standards-based technologies that were readily available to the general public at a reasonable cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_videotelephony
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sat 18 Apr, 2020 02:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
From 1970:
JGoldman10

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 08:31 am
@Rebelofnj,
Hi. Is that from a movie or an actual invention?
Rebelofnj

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 08:40 am
@JGoldman10,
It is actual footage. The video is from the official AT&T youtube channel.
JGoldman10

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:20 am
@Rebelofnj,
I've joked and said that sometimes I feel like a Rip Van Winkle, that I wake up and forget what century and decade I'm living in.

Sometimes I have actually felt like that, until I go out in public and see something to remind me of what century and decade I'm living in.

There's a cyber cafe not too far from where I live. Cyber cafes weren't around in the late 20th century. Neither were vapes and e-cigs and apps and app stores.

There's a store that sells vapes and e-cigs in my hometown not too far from where I live. I pass by fast food restaurants and see notices for mobile apps on them. There's a nearby gas station that has a sign outside of it that says something about "GrubHub" on it. You see URLs for public schools on or near public school buildings. Same for some colleges too. You see URLs for things in public you wouldn't expect to see URLs. I recall passing by a log cabin in a woodsy area somewhere and seeing a URL for it on a sign right outside of it, which I thought was weird.

I didn't know video conferencing was an actual invention in the mid 20th century. I thought back in the late 20th century that was something you only saw in TV shows, cartoons, movies and other media from the mid to late 20th century.