Further Discussion About Covid-19 and the Covid-19 Crisis 2020

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:43 am
Hi. I have more things I'd like to talk about concerning Covid-19 and the Covid-19 crisis since the main question thread I started on Covid-19 was locked.

For starters:

Is it a good idea to seek regular employment amist the Covid-19 crisis? My mother doesn't think that's a good idea. She said how can you do that if people are supposed to be practicing "social distancing"? Is "social distancing" something being enforced by commercial businesses in the workplace?

I need to be working regularly and I was
supposed to be working from home doing transcription work but I can't do any transcription work in my laptop because the internet and Wifi connection on it is down.

I was told I should be doing work from home and/or work that's off-the-books. I was told by someone who used to work as a case worker I should seek employment at food panties and local churches. I'm wondering if this a good idea. Are these facilities enforcing "social distancing" in their workplaces?

Is it a good idea to produce PSAs for kids about Covid-19, or would that belittle the seriousness of the virus and the crisis, especially if the PSAs were animated?

I'm curious.

Please help - thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 78,452 • Replies: 1,336
Topic Closed

jespah

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:59 am
Grocery stores are hiring. Delivery services are hiring (can you drive?). How good is the social distancing? Hard to say. Here in Massachusetts, workers have striked to get better protective gear. Your mileage undoubtedly will vary.

The CDCs is already putting out PSAs. If you can make your own, hey, go for it. Don't expect to make any money off something like that.

Can you find regular work? Maybe. If you don't look, then there's a 100% chance that you won't.

Get your wifi fixed, particularly if you're looking to do transcription work. Get those ducks lined up before sending out resumes.
cherrie

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 06:11 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

food panties

Shocked
livinglava

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 06:16 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Grocery stores are hiring. Delivery services are hiring (can you drive?). How good is the social distancing? Hard to say. Here in Massachusetts, workers have striked to get better protective gear. Your mileage undoubtedly will vary.

The CDCs is already putting out PSAs. If you can make your own, hey, go for it. Don't expect to make any money off something like that.

Can you find regular work? Maybe. If you don't look, then there's a 100% chance that you won't.

Get your wifi fixed, particularly if you're looking to do transcription work. Get those ducks lined up before sending out resumes.

Did you read what the OP said about mom being concerned about social-distancing and virus exposure?

Do you really want to be encouraging people to go out job-seeking at a time when virus-transmission is still a concern and lots of industries/businesses are struggling due to lockdown?

Ideally, we will be working on coming up with productive ways to use our time remotely, but right now there are a lot of people looking for work and a shortage of innovative ideas about how to organize work productively without increasing risks of viral transmission.

So I would say it's a good time to be thinking about a future where pandemics are a continuing threat yet people need to find ways to utilize their time productively and maintain their households in a way that minimizes the need for home visits by various types of support workers.

Social-distancing is a bigger challenge than many people are realizing, I think, because many are just expecting things to go 'back to normal,' soon instead of considering that we actually have to reform more generally for prospective pandemic threats in the future as well.

Resource/climate sustainability was the big future concern before Corona, but now we have the additional challenge of how to organize societies/economies so that they are BOTH environmentally sustainable AND safe from viral threats.

Fortunately, the air is getting clearer in many places as a result of the economic slowdown, so the challenge is how to maintain that positive aspect of the lockdown while coming up with new forms of work/productivity that allow people to contribute to the economy without adding to the threats of contagion and/or unsustainability.
livinglava

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 06:18 am
@cherrie,
cherrie wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

food panties

Shocked

Is that the closest you could get to posting Beavis and Butthead emojis?
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 06:47 am
@livinglava,
Yes, of course I read what he wrote.

He also said he needs work. People do have to eat, you know.
livinglava

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 08:11 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Yes, of course I read what he wrote.

He also said he needs work. People do have to eat, you know.

Yes, people have to eat and have shelter and clothing and to be able to clean their clothing, etc. etc.

The question is how to reform the economy so that viruses don't spread and climate reform continues (as per my earlier post).

Obviously whatever people need has to get done somehow, but the question is how to do it in the way that is best for everyone's health and the health of the planetary future.
JGoldman10

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 09:29 am
@cherrie,
I meant "food pantries".

Forgive me that was a TYPO - I was half asleep when I posted this thread.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 09:32 am
I have not been to any local temp agencies or staffing companies in a long time. Are they enforcing "social distancing" in the workplace also?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 09:48 am
I thought about going back to local temp agencies and staffing companies to seek employment but I don't know if that is a good idea either.
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 09:49 am
@livinglava,
I realize you want to expand this topic but maybe ask the OP before doing so. He's asking about stuff for himself, not some huge reform of the economy.

Psst JGoldman10 - you'd have to ask individual agencies. I strongly suggest you call or check websites. They may be closed or wholly online; this would save you a trip.
JGoldman10

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 09:50 am
@jespah,
Hi Jespah. Yes, people need money to function. They need money for food and for other expenses. People have bills to pay.
Below viewing threshold (view)
jespah

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 09:54 am
@JGoldman10,
Of course. Is your mother okay - sorry to go off-topic but I recall she was in a hospital recently.
chai2

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 10:23 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

The very reason this thread exists is because of economic reforms going on as a result of this virus.

Actually, the very reason this particular, specific thread exists is because the OP regularly starts threads about employment opportunities, which he never follows through on.

The OP is not a good person to address economic/social/political etc reforms because he's totally unaware such systems exist.

Pretty soon he's going to start asking you if you're saved, and telling you something that his pastor, who is, according to him, a phrophet, has said about something totally unrelated.

I think the idea of discussing reforms is excellent. Perhaps you can start a thread devoted to that.
livinglava

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 11:17 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

livinglava wrote:

The very reason this thread exists is because of economic reforms going on as a result of this virus.

Actually, the very reason this particular, specific thread exists is because the OP regularly starts threads about employment opportunities, which he never follows through on.

Well, the economic situation has changed because of lockdowns and pandemic threats, hasn't it?

Quote:
The OP is not a good person to address economic/social/political etc reforms because he's totally unaware such systems exist.

When I was young and I was seeking information about employment opportunities, I got a lot of discussion about how the economy worked and how people have to make their own opportunities; so I tend to do the same for others.

Humans and our economic activities are like networks of cellular processes that interact to form a larger organism and grow in various directions. If winter gets cold and a bear goes into hibernation, the various organs and tissues that make up the bear's body have to transition to functioning within the hibernation paradigm.

How does a bear's liver cell figure out what it should do when hibernation begins? Idk, but I do know that as humans we can try to get an idea about how economy works on a larger scale and then think about what roles we can, can't, should, or shouldn't play in those larger-scale economic processes and patterns.

Quote:
Pretty soon he's going to start asking you if you're saved, and telling you something that his pastor, who is, according to him, a phrophet, has said about something totally unrelated.

I'm glad he's saved and that he has a pastor whose prophecies stimulate him spiritually and intellectually.

Quote:
I think the idea of discussing reforms is excellent. Perhaps you can start a thread devoted to that.

Reform is just part of everything we do. There is no status quo that isn't changing to adapt to whatever challenges we are faced with. There is an IDEA of the status quo that is based on past assumptions, which no longer apply to reality, but the real status quo is always changing to accommodate realities.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:53 pm
@jespah,
Yes my mother is fine. I have a personal question I would like to ask about Social Security - may I PM you about it?
jespah

Mon 13 Apr, 2020 06:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm not an expert in any of that stuff and probably can't help you, sorry. Glad your mother is okay.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Thu 16 Apr, 2020 02:40 pm
Is it true due to the Covid-19 crisis phone lines are required to be active whether phone bills are paid or not?

I need to know this - as of the time of the posting of this I have a phone bill due in a few days.
chai2

Thu 16 Apr, 2020 03:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
I have an amazing idea on how you could find this out.

Can you guess what it is?