@bobsal u1553115,
Good point.
0 Replies

livinglava

Thu 21 May, 2020 07:37 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

https://i.imgflip.com/41uqx6.jpg

It's become a political game of forcing each other to pay, as usual.

Workers/unions want to continue getting paid by claiming it's not their fault they are staying home.

So those who have to pay them (business owners and government) are going to reopen businesses so they quit and give up their unemployment rights.

What they should do is negotiate a deal where they get paid some but not enough to force businesses to re-open, but what are the chances of such cooperation taking place between labor and business with or without government involved?
JGoldman10

Thu 21 May, 2020 11:13 am
Is the Covid-19 outbreak the worst epidemic/pandemic in recent years? I saw a pic of one person wearing a face mask that was taken during the H1N1 pandemic. How come more people weren't wearing face coverings during that outbreak? How come the U.S. government wasn't mandating that people wore face coverings as a safety measure during the H1N1 pandemic?
izzythepush

Thu 21 May, 2020 11:14 am
@JGoldman10,
Because Trump is a bloody idiot.
JGoldman10

Thu 21 May, 2020 11:15 am
The thing that annoys me the most about the Covid-19 crisis is having to remember I have to wear a face coverings when I go out in public. I see people not wearing any when I go out in public, but I think that's foolish. I don't want to get in trouble with any cops.
coldjoint

Thu 21 May, 2020 11:17 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Because Trump is a bloody idiot.

A bloody idiot who has outsmarted the intelligence agencies and the bureaucracy that tried to get him for three years. What does that make them and Trump's adversaries but bigger bloody idiots?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Thu 21 May, 2020 11:23 am
This explains what makes Covid-19 so dangerous:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-did-the-world-shut-down-for-covid-19-but-not-ebola-sars-or-swine-flu/amp/
0 Replies

livinglava

Thu 21 May, 2020 11:26 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

The thing that annoys me the most about the Covid-19 crisis is having to remember I have to wear a face coverings when I go out in public. I see people not wearing any when I go out in public, but I think that's foolish. I don't want to get in trouble with any cops.

It just takes one lawsuit from someone who ended up in the hospital after working for long hours in a mask.

Once a precedent is set for businesses being liable for infection-severity due to mask requirements, they will stop requiring them and people will go back to taking social-distancing and staying-at-home seriously.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 21 May, 2020 12:16 pm
@livinglava,
For a bunch of people who don't want to insure the sick, who preach 'responsibility', why do you think people who compel people to work in deadly conditions not be responsible for those they kill?
coldjoint

Thu 21 May, 2020 12:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
why do you think people who compel people to work in deadly conditions not be responsible for those they kill?

Employees are not be compelled, they are working. If that business follows recommended safety measures they are not responsible for any deaths.
glitterbag

Thu 21 May, 2020 12:28 pm
If If If If
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 21 May, 2020 12:51 pm
@coldjoint,
http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/250/meat-packing.html

Meatpacking in the U.S.: Still a "Jungle" Out There?

2000 - Current

Responding to the concerns of labor and public advocates, former Nebraska Governor Michael Johanns (currently U.S. Secretary of Agriculture) issued the "Nebraska Meatpacking Industry Workers Bill of Rights" in June of 2000. Though only a voluntary set of guidelines, the bill recognized the rights of meat packing employees to organize, work in safe conditions, and to seek help from the state.

Animal slaughter, meat packing, and meat processing are difficult, dirty jobs that see a high rate of employee turnover. Key workplace hazards for meat and poultry laborers include excessive processing line speed, work spaces sullied with animal remains, cutting in close quarters, and cumulative stress disorders due to repetitive motions.

In March of 2001, Congress overturned an OSHA approved ergonomics standard with President Bush signing the repeal. The OSHA regulations, approved under the Clinton administration, had been praised by union leaders as an important step toward protecting manual laborers from injuries.

In early 2005, Human Rights Watch released a report entitled "Blood, Sweat, and Fear: Workers' Rights in U.S. Meat and Poultry Plants" which concluded that the working conditions in America's meat packing plants were so bad they violated basic human and worker rights. This was the first time the human rights organization had criticized a single a U.S. industry.

Though pro-industry organizations such as the American Meat Institute (AMI) point out that the number of staff injuries in meat processing facilities have been declining over recent years, meat packing remains one of the most dangerous factory jobs in America. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that there was an average of 12.6 injuries or illnesses per 100 full-time meat packing plant employees in 2005, a number twice as high as the average for all U.S. manufacturing jobs. Some experts maintain that this number is actually too low as many workers' injuries go unreported due to employee misinformation or intimidation.

Losing Ground: U.S. Meat Packing Wages*

*Wages adjusted to 2006 values. Data as of 9/06.
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Today, America's meat industry is the nation's largest agricultural sector and sales of meat and poultry exceed $100 billion a year in the U.S. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the animal slaughtering and processing industry employed a total of 506,000 people at the close of 2005. The average earnings of production workers that year was $11.47 an hour, about 30 percent less than the average wage for all manufacturing jobs in the U.S. According to REAP, a union-affiliated group, union membership among meat packing employees has plunged from 80 percent in 1980 to less than 50 percent today.

The face of the average meatpacking plant worker has also changed. Over the past two decades, the number of immigrant laborers in meat packing plants—and in the Midwestern areas in which they are primarily located—has increased dramatically. According to the USDA, the percentage of Hispanic meat-processing workers rose from less than 10 percent in 1980 to nearly 30 percent in 2000.

https://www.hrw.org/reports/2005/usa0105/meatpacking.gif

https://www.hrw.org/reports/2005/usa0105/

Blood, Sweat, and Fear
Workers’ Rights in U.S. Meat and Poultry Plants

https://www.bls.gov/iif/

Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities

PRINT:Print

Total of 5,250 fatal work injuries in 2018, up 2% from 2017

12/17/2019

A total of 5,250 workers died from a work-related injury in the U.S. in 2018, up 2 percent from the 2017 total of 5,147. The fatal injury rate was unchanged in 2018 at 3.5 per 100,000 full-time equivalent workers.
HTML | PDF | RSS | Charts
Employer-reported injury and illness rate unchanged in 2018 at 2.8 cases per 100 workers

11/07/2019

The rate of nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses among private industry employees was unchanged for the first time since 2012 at 2.8 cases per 100 full-time equivalent workers in 2018. Workers in private industry incurred 2.8 million injuries or illnesses in 2018.
HTML | PDF | RSS
Schedule

November 4 2020 - Employer-Reported Workplace Injuries and Illnesses (2019 data)
December 16 2020 - Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries (2019 data)
Archived news releases

"IF"?

Not even.

Sturgis

Thu 21 May, 2020 01:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It's what happens when greed sets in on the part of owners. That along with worker who are young and either never knew or no longer remember the value of being unionized. Without unions, wages and conditions suffer as do the workers.

Required reading for all students and new employees should include Sinclair's The Jungle, Poole's The Harbor . Learn about the past...
bobsal u1553115

Thu 21 May, 2020 04:23 pm
@Sturgis,
I first read the Jungle in 7th grade the year Kennedy was shot. I've read it at least four or five times. Its a classic example of of how a piece of literature that exposes truth and fact can change things for the better. That book got us the Pure Food Act and the FDA.

Getting people who complacent about their wages and conditons not realizing how the Union got them there, made them easy pickings for Ronnie Reagan. Once the Unions were decertified and union shops were close in one location but reopened as "open" shops in so called, ironically labeled "right to work" states, lower wages,unsafe conditions and no bargaining rights became the norm.

I joined my grandfather's old union, the IWW about a month ago. More as a statement and a show of solidarity to the working people of the US. The AFL/CIO wouldn't have me because I'm self employed - the Wobblies were open armed.

We're in this together. Was your grandfather a member of the Workman's Circle? It was still around and strong when I was a kid in Akron, Ohio.
JGoldman10

Thu 21 May, 2020 07:20 pm
I was told 1/4 of the American population is out of work because of the Covid-19 crisis. Is this correct?
JGoldman10

Thu 21 May, 2020 07:21 pm
PUA insurance came about because of the Covid-19 crisis? Does anyone here know anything about it? It's a form of unemployment insurance.
coldjoint

Thu 21 May, 2020 07:26 pm
https://grrrgraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/science_gone_mad-1536x1155.jpg
Rebelofnj

Thu 21 May, 2020 07:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
A further 2.4 million Americans sought unemployment benefits last week, despite hopes that easing lockdown restrictions would help restart the US economy.

The new filings brought the total since mid-March to roughly 38.6 million - almost a quarter of the workforce.

The weekly figures have declined since peaking at almost 6.9 million at the end of March but remain high.

The number of people remaining on benefits also continues to grow.
While many of the unemployed said they believed their layoffs were temporary, a recent study estimated that more than 40% of recent pandemic job cuts are likely to be permanent.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52758493
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 21 May, 2020 07:58 pm
Quote:
Over 600 doctors sign letter begging Trump to end lockdowns, call them a ‘mass casualty incident’

Quote:
In the letter obtained by Fox News, the doctors went into detail about some of the negative consequences that will stem from the COVID-19 lockdowns. These dangerous consequences include patients missing checkups in which cancer and other serious conditions could be detected, increases in drug and alcohol use, and financial instability that could lead to mass poverty and further health problems.

“Millions of Americans are already [in critical condition],” the letter stated. “These include 150,000 Americans per month who would have had a new cancer detected through routine screening that hasn’t happened, millions who have missed routine dental care to fix problems strongly linked to heart disease/death, and preventable cases of stroke, heart attack, and child abuse. Suicide hotline phone calls have increased 600%.”

“We are alarmed at what appears to be the lack of consideration for the future health of our patients,” the doctors added, pointing out that they have seen this in real life at their practices. “The downstream health effects…are being massively under-estimated and under-reported. This is an order of magnitude error.”

The doctors went on to warn that since many of these issues will be widespread and unrelated to coronavirus, they may go unnoticed. “The millions of casualties of a continued shutdown will be hiding in plain sight, but they will be called alcoholism, homelessness, suicide, heart attack, stroke, or kidney failure,” the letter explained. “In youths it will be called financial instability, unemployment, despair, drug addiction, unplanned pregnancies, poverty, and abuse.”

If this were old justice dept hacks wanting Barr to resign the media would cover it.
https://www.lifezette.com/2020/05/over-600-doctors-sign-letter-begging-trump-to-end-lockdowns-call-them-a-mass-casualty-incident/