Further Discussion About Covid-19 and the Covid-19 Crisis 2020

Rebelofnj

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 05:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
I actually know this one offhand. A driver's license is not at all required to use a scooter or a segway.

I live and work near a major tourist destination, and I see these scooters daily. I even had to help some people how to drive them or how to get the battery charged. Some of the major hotels in the area keep some in stock for their guests.
JGoldman10

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 06:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Thank you.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 06:22 pm
@Rebelofnj,
If DC and Marvel actually do get together to produce any crossover comics again to save the comics industry how will that work, knowing who their respective parent companies are?

For decades doing crossovers wasn't an issue, because Disney hadn't bought Marvel yet. WB has owned DC Comics since the '60s.

Would DC's and Marvel's respective parent companies have to get involved for any future comic crossovers to happen?
bobsal u1553115

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 06:35 pm
https://i.imgur.com/64Uu1Ci.png
0 Replies

cherrie

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 07:34 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

...and busy doing what?

I'm surprised and yes, a little disappointed that you would need to ask this.

I'm beginning to think that you haven't been paying attention.

He has told us over and over how busy he always is, what with all that housework and … um … you know, all that other stuff that he has to do.

And then there's all the time and effort he puts into procrastinating. I truly believe he has taken the art of procrastination to a whole new level. That has to be exhausting.

And the never ending inane questions - they don't just think themselves up you know.

Rebelofnj

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 07:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
I don't think any crossover between them is happening anytime soon.

In this hypothetical scenario, editors in chief as well as the group editors of DC and Marvel would have to work out a story and who would work on it.

Brian Michael Bendis may get chosen as the crossover writer since he is friends with management of both companies and he is familiar with both universes (longtime former writer of Avengers, Spider-Man, Daredevil etc. Current writer of Superman and Action Comics).

If they want to generate more fan hype for this hypothetical scenario, the fan favorite creative team would be current X-Men architect Jonathan Hickman (Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men) and DC publisher Jim Lee (Justice League, X-Men). Just having Jim Lee work on X-Men again since the 90s would generate some press.
JGoldman10

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 09:13 pm
@cherrie,
I draw and write stuff when I'm not on here. I have also being trying my hand at vocal characterizations and recording them and tweaking some of them. I can't produce any animations, I don't have the tools, equipment and resourses for that yet. Until I actually have any comics and/or animations produced and ready to showcase online anywhere I could make videos recording myself talking about the projects I want to make and showcase in video form and in other formats on as many online platforms as I can at least. I can record video on my smartphone and upload it to YouTube and other video sharing sites and such.

That's the least I can do. I can ask people to send me money to help me fund my projects which can help me build up a fanbase.

I want to further my training so I can learn how to voice act professionally and produce comics professionally but I have to have money for this.

I'm trying to function normally with stuff being on lockdown.

I'm focusing more on being situated and helping my mother get situated. I haven't been able to reach my mother who is in rehab the past couple of days as of the time of the posting of this. I have some personal business matters that I need to discuss with her and to help her take of. This involves things like personal finances and Social Security.

I'm concerned for her. I hope she's okay. The rehab center staff told me she doesn't want to talk to anyone.

I need to be working regularly. I can't do any transcription work on my laptop like I'm supposed to become there's no internet connection on it and my Spectrum bill has to be paid off.

I'm concerned about what to do regarding work and/or employment.

This is more important then working on toons and comics.

Wouldn't you agree?
JGoldman10

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 09:26 pm
@Rebelofnj,
So they don't need Disney's and/or WB's involvement?
cherrie

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 03:22 am
@JGoldman10,
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope you're able to see her soon and that she is okay.

I'm not even going to comment on the rest of it.
Rebelofnj

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 05:26 am
@JGoldman10,
I doubt the executives of WB and Disney would be heavily involved of a comic crossover, seeing as their comic sales are dwarfed by their more successful ventures (films, tv shows, theme parks).

WB executives are not even involved with DC's recent crossovers with other publishers and companies.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:06 am
@JGoldman10,
Very sorry to hear about your mother's issue and how they impact your own.

Does your church offer any help?
izzythepush

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:30 am
@JGoldman10,
Sorry to hear about that. When my mum was dying my dad wouldn’t even tell us. I found out through my sister in law and we just managed to see her before she died.

People act very strangely at times like this.
JGoldman10

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:41 am
@cherrie,
Thank you. Me being organized and situated and helping my mother out is more important than getting toons and comics developed right now.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:43 am
@bobsal u1553115,
My pastor is helping me.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:56 am
If it wasn't for the daggone Covid-19 crisis and the changes brought about because of it I could get a LOT more things accomplished. I'm not making excuses - the crisis has impacted everyone.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:57 am
@izzythepush,
My dad was only letting me in on how bad it was for him. As sick as he was my mother didn't even know and neither did my brother or sister and my sister was his attorney.

When I asked my sister about what we should do to start preparing, she acted totally shocked that I would being this up so soon.

He died about three weeks later, riddled with a what would have been a curable cancer when he first noticed the symptoms years before and would have sought treatment. Five or so years made a terrible difference.

And my sister, brother and mother were horribly blindsided.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 12:43 pm
Top E.R. Doctor Who Treated Virus Patients Dies by Suicide

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/nyregion/new-york-city-doctor-suicide-coronavirus.html

“She tried to do her job, and it killed her,” said the father of Dr. Lorna M. Breen, who worked at a Manhattan hospital hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak.

By Ali Watkins, Michael Rothfeld, William K. Rashbaum and Brian M. Rosenthal

April 27, 2020
Updated 2:34 p.m. ET

A top emergency room doctor at a major Manhattan hospital that treated coronavirus patients died by suicide on Sunday, according to her father.

Dr. Lorna M. Breen, the medical director of the emergency department at NewYork-Presbyterian Allen Hospital, died in Charlottesville, Va., where she was staying with family, her father said in an interview.

Her father, Dr. Philip C. Breen, said she had described devastating scenes of the toll the coronavirus took on patients.

“She tried to do her job, and it killed her,” he said.

The elder Dr. Breen said his daughter had contracted the coronavirus but had gone back to work after recuperating for about a week and a half. The hospital sent her home again, before her family intervened to bring her to Charlottesville, he said.

Dr. Breen, 49, did not have a history of mental illness, her father said. But he said that when he last spoke with her, she seemed detached, and he could tell something was wrong. She had described to him an onslaught of patients dying before they could even be taken out of ambulances.
Latest Updates: Coronavirus Outbreak in New York

“She was truly in the trenches of the front line,” he said.

He added: “Make sure she’s praised as a hero, because she was. She’s a casualty just as much as anyone else who has died.”

The hospital did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Dr. Lawrence A. Melniker, the vice chair for quality care at the NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital, said that Dr. Breen was a well-respected and well-liked doctor in the NewYork-Presbyterian system, a network of hospitals that includes the Columbia University Irving Medical Center and the Weill Cornell Medical Center.

“You don’t get to a position like that at Allen without being very talented,” he said.

Dr. Melniker said the coronavirus had presented unusual mental health challenges for emergency physicians throughout New York, the epicenter of the crisis in the United States.

Doctors are accustomed to responding to all sorts of grisly tragedies. But rarely do doctors have to worry about getting sick themselves, or about infecting their colleagues, friends and family members. And rarely do they have to treat their own co-workers.

Dr. Dara Kass, an emergency medicine physician who worked with Dr. Breen, said that even while Dr. Breen was home recovering from Covid-19, she texted colleagues to check in and see how they were doing. Earlier, she had tried to make sure her doctors had protective equipment or whatever else they needed.

“She was always the physician who was looking out for other people’s health and well-being,” Dr. Kass said.

Benjamin Weiser and Joseph Goldstein contributed reporting.

Ali Watkins is a reporter on the Metro desk, covering crime and law enforcement in New York City. Previously, she covered national security in Washington for The Times, BuzzFeed and McClatchy Newspapers. @AliWatkins

Michael Rothfeld is an investigative reporter on the Metro desk and co-author of a book, "The Fixers." He was part of a team at The Wall Street Journal that won the 2019 Pulitzer Prize for national reporting for stories about hush money deals made on behalf of Donald Trump and a federal investigation of the president's personal lawyer. @mrothfeld

William K. Rashbaum is a senior writer on the Metro desk, where he covers political and municipal corruption, courts, terrorism and broader law enforcement topics. He was a part of the team awarded the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for breaking news. @WRashbaum • Facebook

Brian M. Rosenthal is an investigative reporter on the Metro Desk. Previously, he covered state government for The Houston Chronicle and for The Seattle Times.
chai2

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 01:09 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
That's very sad.

However, I wouldn't assume that she commited suicide because of COVID 19, either directly or indirectly.

If (even though her father said she had no history of mental illness, which is actually besides the point. People with no mental illness kill themselves too) had committed suicide 6 months ago, would this even have been reported?

I don't understand what purpose a story like this serves.
If it's simply for the "sending thoughts and prayers" people get to send, and all the other opportunities for people to make themselves feel a part of it ("I" feel so bad about this.), it's pretty invasive.

Yes, yes, I know her father was quoted. But really? This isn't public news.
livinglava

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 01:25 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I don't understand what purpose a story like this serves.

Very emotional stories are published and then politicized. Politicians use any form of suffering they can to manipulate people into agreeing with them and/or supporting causes.

The reason it works is because arguing against it sounds like you're arguing in favor of ignoring the suffering of others, which makes you callous and indifferent. They don't acknowledge that they're using peoples' aversion to being callous and indifferent to manipulate them politically and/or economically.
chai2

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 03:48 pm
@livinglava,
For once, I agree with you 100%.

Although I'm not of the opinion it's totally political, but I'm not going to go there.

Bread and circuses.

Stories like this, about a individual person gives many people all the advantages of being able to present themselves and/or feel like they themselves are good and caring, but without the messy inconvenience of either doing anything, or feeling the true grief and upheavel of those who actually were involved.

The noble doctor who died by contracting the very disease she was fighting.
The impoverished yet still noble homeless person who died with a needle in his arm, and devasted grandparents who raised him.
The terrible tragedy of that one guy? Remember?

I honestly don't know how people do it. How can they think of so many things at the same time about **** that has absolutely nothing to do with them.
I get why some people want to. Because if this stuff wasn't around they would have to actually think and do something about their own situation.

Someone isn't being cold and callous by not immediately, or every time sending out their own vitally important views on this to the world. Or questioning where why how when what.
They're able to differentiate between "that's a sad/bad thing that happened" and "omg I'm so sorry this is so sad it reminds me of this cousin of mine who had a friend that was going to go to medical school but realized they were too sensitive emotionally and it could have been that person that died and that would be so sad."

0 Replies