JGoldman10

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:47 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
No Bob I was just curious.
Rebelofnj

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you just Googled ICE:

"US Immigration and Customs Enforcement's stated mission is to protect America from the cross-border crime and illegal immigration that threaten national security and public safety.

This mission is executed through the enforcement of more than 400 federal statutes and focuses on immigration enforcement, preventing terrorism and combating the illegal movement of people and goods."

Their detention centers have been in the news for months due to allegations of mistreatment of illegal immigrants and human rights violations.
https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/nation/2019/12/19/ice-asylum-under-trump-exclusive-look-us-immigration-detention/4381404002/

In regards to the COVID-19 crisis:
"ICE Releases Hundreds Of Immigrants As Coronavirus Spreads in Detention Centers"
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/16/835886346/ice-releases-hundreds-as-coronavirus-spreads-in-detention-centers

All of this is easy to search for.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:55 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
What's Trump doing to help the environment if anything? Or is dealing with environmentalist issues being put on hold due to the Covid-19 crisis?

Has the Japanese government fully contained their contaminated ocean water problem or has that been put on hold too?
Rebelofnj

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
You are basically asking people to use Google to find answers for you. I don't think many people here are readily aware of the Japanese government's environmental policies without using a search engine.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
I apologize. I've allowed cold joint to jaundice my attitude. Mea Culpa.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
Nothing. He's taking us backwards.
JGoldman10

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:41 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No I'm not. People here know things that I don't.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:44 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Well he basically went behind Obama's back and okayed the construction of the Dakota and Keystone XL Pipelines, despite people's concerns for the environment and all the protests against their construction, so I really shouldn't be too surprised about that.

Obama was far more environmentally-conscious than Trump was.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:57 pm
@JGoldman10,
I certainly agree.
0 Replies

livinglava

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 08:11 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Well he basically went behind Obama's back and okayed the construction of the Dakota and Keystone XL Pipelines, despite people's concerns for the environment and all the protests against their construction, so I really shouldn't be too surprised about that.

Obama was far more environmentally-conscious than Trump was.

The economic catch in blocking pipeline construction is that doing so stimulates all the other businesses that deliver oil in other ways.

So when the markets see that pipelines can effectively be blocked, they invest more heavily in the oil-tanker business, for example.

So the problem is demand and the fact that markets make money by catering to it. If a pipeline is being built that threatens to take business away from existing supply-lines and bring down the cost of oil, it stimulates disinvestment, which actually hurts much of the existing oil industry.

So by blocking the pipeline, protesters were rightly trying to protect the land where the pipeline was being built, but in doing so were stimulating alternative delivery methods and their investment markets, i.e. because oil demand wasn't going down.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 12:46 pm
I know DMV offices are closed to the public due to the Covid-19 crisis. Are driving schools still open?
Rebelofnj

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 12:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
All DMV field offices are closed and all road tests have been suspended until further notice.
https://dmv.ny.gov/dmv/covid-19-information-customers-and-businesses

Since the DMV offices are closed and the states don't want people on the road, I would assume all independent driving schools are closed as they are deemed nonessential.
JGoldman10

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 12:56 pm
@Rebelofnj,
You can get an updated driver's license or learner's permit online, I was told.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 01:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I know DMV offices are closed to the public due to the Covid-19 crisis. Are driving schools still open?

What I want to know is whether or not dance studios, bowling allys and shops where I can buy lemon scented candles are still open.

Please help.
Thank you.
JGoldman10

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 02:28 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That's just peachy. I need a driver's license and I have a car in my backyard I can't even use.

I thought about getting myself some kind of scooter, like a Segway or one you can sit down in, but I'm wondering do I have to have a license to own and operate one?

JGoldman10

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 04:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

.... like a Segway or one you can sit down in, ....

To specify I meant a mobility scooter.
Sturgis

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 04:42 pm
@chai2,
Good news....
According to my mental imaging capabilities, lemon scented candles are available at dance studios where the dancers spin on bowling balls.

...sometimes my imaging capabilities are spot on...

...sometimes they just ain't.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 04:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you friggin want to know if the driving school is open, call them.

There! Another problem solved.
cherrie

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 05:20 pm
@Sturgis,
But can't you do that for him?

You know how busy he is.
Sturgis

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 05:25 pm
@cherrie,
I thought on it and decided not to. After all. he's not once tried to bless me. Guess I have to work on becoming his enemy...

...and busy doing what? Other than being an obtuse twit that is.