Further Discussion About Covid-19 and the Covid-19 Crisis 2020

bobsal u1553115

Thu 30 Apr, 2020 10:25 pm
Veterans Affairs orders $300,000 worth of body bags
The Department of Veterans Affairs ordered nearly $300,000 worth of body bags this month, according to a contracting document reviewed by POLITICO. The department ordered the body bags from a major contractor called ISO Group because of the coronavirus pandemic, according to the site. The contract was reached on April 15.

The order came as the VA has seen a growing number of deaths due to the pandemic. More than 8,500 patients of the VA have been diagnosed with Covid-19 and nearly 500 have died, according to data on the department’s website Thursday morning. The number of confirmed cases has grown by 3,000 since the contract was inked on April 15.

The contract did not say how many body bags the department was buying, and it is unclear whether the VA bought them because it expects a spike in patient deaths or because it plans to redistribute them to others who might need them. VA spokespersons did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

The Federal Emergency Management Administration recently paid $5.1 million for 100,000 body bags, as first reported by The Wall Street Journal — for a price of about $51 per bag. If the VA paid the same rate, it would have purchased nearly 6,000 bags — a number 12 times larger than the number of VA patients who have died from the disease.

But some retailers sell body bags for lower prices; BodyBagStore.com sells them for as little as $16.80, but limits on how many bags a customer can buy. And on Amazon, one vendor sells body bags for less than $15 each.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/30/va-orders-300-000-worth-of-body-bags-227445
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Thu 30 Apr, 2020 10:40 pm
@chai2,
I said "for a while". I know I have to play catch-up eventually. When my mother was around she took care of most of the bills.

Define "deferment".
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 30 Apr, 2020 11:06 pm
This is for the moron to help inform his opinion and correct the butthead he quoted about H1N1:

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates there were 60.8 million cases, 274,000 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths (range: 8,868–18,306) in the United States due to the virus.[117] (over eighteen months)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200318191813/https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

Are you too lazy to vet your lying or badly misinformed sources?

If President Barack Obama screwed up, Trump has totaly screwed up beyond all comprehension. Five time the deaths in one fifth the time.

What do you think about that, Sparky????
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 30 Apr, 2020 11:38 pm
Confirmed coronavirus cases surge in reopened JBS Colorado beef plant; worker dies - union
Source: Reuters

APRIL 30, 2020 / 10:32 PM / UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

CHICAGO (Reuters) - COVID-19 cases at a JBS meatpacking plant in Colorado have more than doubled “in a number of days” and a sixth employee died of the virus, a union official said on Thursday, underscoring the risks of U.S. meat plants reopening.

The beef plant in Greeley, Colorado, started operating last Friday after it was closed for about two weeks following an outbreak among workers.

“The uptick in cases in a matter of days shows how serious this crisis is and the dangers that workers are facing every day just trying to do their jobs,” Kim Cordova, leader of the local United Food and Commercial Workers International Union chapter, said in a news release.

Confirmed cases among workers at the plant rose from 120 on Sunday to 245 on Wednesday evening, a union spokeswoman told Reuters, citing numbers from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

Read more: https://in.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-usa-meat/confirmed-coronavirus-cases-surge-in-reopened-jbs-colorado-beef-plant-worker-dies-union-idINKBN22D4AV?rpc=401&

Hey, Donnie Two Scoops needs them "hamberders".
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 1 May, 2020 04:30 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

Money that will eventually get spent on car payments, gas, tires, insurance, etc.

This is typical of the nonsense you spout and why I normally ignore you.

Knowing **** all about a subject has never stopped you pontificating.

The money in question is not handed out to the general population like some **** witted orange chimp would do, it’s earmarked. The only people who can get it are people who work with bicycles, repairers etc. The individual takes their bike in to be serviced, and the mechanic servicing the bike claims it from the government.

It doesn’t take much to check out facts, but clearly that’s beyond you.

You seem to be of the opinion that most people are as selfish and uncaring as you are. That’s not the case the case at all, most people are decent, and if you’d ever been to Copenhagen or Amsterdam, or even London, you’d see people riding bikes all the time, because it’s the right thing to do.
jespah

Fri 1 May, 2020 05:28 am
@chai2,
It's a beautiful, self-indulgent paradox for him.

Hope those 64k people were saved!
But I'm saved, so I don't need a mask and am protected by my faith!
So those 64k people by definition were not saved.
But some of them were pastors.
So they should have been saved.
But they died, so they must not have been.
Therefore his is the only true pastor, with his insightful after the fact "predictions".

Buses are free! Don't have to pay rent! Free food!
But fuel and maintenance are not free. Farmers might go bankrupt.

No problem, because all that matters is if they were saved! Who gives a damn if they suffer, or if children starve. Or if working people lose their jobs and go on welfare, apparently infinite welfare.

It's nice that he prays for a cure. That's about all his mother can do. I don't fault her for that.

But he, on the other hand, is able bodied.

Does he want to follow the example of his faith? Then he should go out amongst the unwell and help. Can't cure people? Fine. But he can bag groceries for the local market, can't he? Deliver takeout on a bike. Get a job cleaning a hospital.

He professes to having a certain faith.

I highly doubt that sitting around and crowing about free food and bus fare is an expression of it.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 May, 2020 06:49 am
@izzythepush,
They don't get it. $1200 barely does monthly service the average debt load of an individual in this country. Its a feel good way of getting even more billions into the hands of the wealthy, a bald faced example of trickle up.

btw - enjoying your book.
izzythepush

Fri 1 May, 2020 06:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Thanks, if you get on to the second one before I’ve finished proof reading I’d like to talk about placing the historical chapters. In the first book they’re towards the end of the first half but in the second I’ve put them at the beginning. I don’t know if this is best or whether I should spread them out throughout the novel.
livinglava

Fri 1 May, 2020 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This is typical of the nonsense you spout and why I normally ignore you.

Knowing **** all about a subject has never stopped you pontificating.

I explain my reasons so readers can evaluate them for themselves. Maybe you just aren't capable of evaluating reasoning directly without having someone else think for you.

Quote:
The money in question is not handed out to the general population like some **** witted orange chimp would do, it’s earmarked. The only people who can get it are people who work with bicycles, repairers etc. The individual takes their bike in to be serviced, and the mechanic servicing the bike claims it from the government.

Sure, but subsidizing one thing, whether it's food, bike repairs, or whatever; always means money saved to spend on other things, such as car payments, tires, insurance, booze, illegal drugs, or whatever. So if you give someone a free bike repair that they would've paid $50 for otherwise, that will save them $50, but then you are giving them the power to save or spend that $50 in whatever way they choose. Some people will choose wisely, but many won't.

Quote:
It doesn’t take much to check out facts, but clearly that’s beyond you.

Read what I just explained above and tell me what facts are missing from my explanation. It is plain and clear that economic decision-making works this way at the individual level.

Quote:
You seem to be of the opinion that most people are as selfish and uncaring as you are. That’s not the case the case at all, most people are decent, and if you’d ever been to Copenhagen or Amsterdam, or even London, you’d see people riding bikes all the time, because it’s the right thing to do.

I don't assume any homogeneity whatsoever at any level of humans or other species. What I do assume is that there are patterns and that you can see the results of bad choices in the fact that places like Copenhagen, Amsterdam, and London are noteworthy for being exceptions to the general shirking of bicycle use as transportation globally. You seem to think I should assume that everyone in the world who gets a bike subsidy will 'do the right thing' and not spend saved money on automotive expenses, but that's simply what happens. Even in Amsterdam, London, and Copenhagen there is more money made and spent on motorized transportation because of all the subsidies being doled out. There may be large numbers of people riding bicycles, but aren't there also large amounts of motorized traffic? And what's more, aren't the economic investments of such financial capitals feeding on the automotive economies of the world and all the infrastructure investments that support all the driving, shipping, etc. going on there?

You can hardly say that London, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen are saving the world from motorized transportation if they are economically sustaining themselves on investments that depend on people throughout the world selling cars, insurance, tires, fuel, asphalt, etc. etc.

It takes a lot more than a few rich cities virtue-signaling. Everywhere else has to reform as well, and it's hard for them to do so when they are so economically dependent on investment/income levels that pay for everyone to drive.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 May, 2020 08:16 am
@izzythepush,
I read slowly, dyslexia requires it, or else I'll be reading a book you didn't quite write!
0 Replies

livinglava

Fri 1 May, 2020 08:19 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

They don't get it. $1200 barely does monthly service the average debt load of an individual in this country. Its a feel good way of getting even more billions into the hands of the wealthy, a bald faced example of trickle up.

btw - enjoying your book.

How do you reform the economy to suffice with less if you subsidize debt loads that reward borrowers and lenders that cooperated to establish irresponsible levels of debt/spending?

At some point you have to declare bankruptcy or otherwise find a solution that cuts down your debt. You might have to commit to austerities to pay off your debts despite lower income and/or seek bankruptcy-like mediation that allows you to modify your debts to levels you can afford at a lower income level.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 May, 2020 08:27 am
New York Struggles to Bury Its Dead: Latest Updates

The coronavirus has overwhelmed funeral homes, morgues, crematories and cemeteries.

https://democraticunderground.com/100213375093

The makeshift hospital at the Javits Convention Center in Manhattan is closing today.

With more than 18,000 announced fatalities in New York, the sheer volume of human remains has pushed the state’s system for caring for the dead to its limits.

Hospital morgues, funeral homes, cemeteries and crematories are all overflowing and backed up. So many people have been dying at home that the medical examiner’s office has turned to teams of soldiers working around the clock to pick them up.

The city’s four crematories have also backed up. Some are incinerating bodies at four times the normal rate. Some hospitals have run out of body bags. Others have turned to forklifts to transfer piles of corpses into makeshift mobile morgues.

The mechanisms for managing bodies have in some places been strained to the breaking point: On Wednesday, police found dozens of decomposing bodies stashed inside two trucks outside a Brooklyn funeral home Brooklyn. The city is investigating.

Said the owner: “I ran out of space.”
NO ROOM FOR THE DEAD
The sheer volume of human remains has pushed New York’s funeral industry to its limits.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 1 May, 2020 08:49 am
@livinglava,
You seem to be under the impression that I don’t think you’re a complete idiot.

The only think I don’t understand about you is how you haven’t been run over by a bus, or fallen down a hole, or got stuck somewhere.

I think it’s a miracle you’re still alive.
livinglava

Fri 1 May, 2020 09:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You seem to be under the impression that I don’t think you’re a complete idiot.

Your insults are too ubiquitous to be meaningful.

Quote:
The only think I don’t understand about you is how you haven’t been run over by a bus, or fallen down a hole, or got stuck somewhere.

I think it’s a miracle you’re still alive.

It's nice you value life, even those you hate; but if you just stick to discussing the content of posts, I think you'll find that there is more value in that than in evaluating each other in terms of our personal opinions.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 May, 2020 12:12 pm
Washington, DC, sees large uptick in coronavirus cases
Source: CNN

Washington, DC, has continued to see an overall rise in coronavirus cases over the last seven weeks.

As of Thursday, DC tested 21,135 people, with 4,658 total positives. There have been a total of 231 deaths. The number of positive cases took a drastic jump to 335 cases Friday — the biggest rise in a single day.

Friday’s rise in cases coincides with the first day DC has received more than 1,000 test results in a single day.

When broken down by race, 48% of positive Covid-19 cases are African American.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-coronavirus-update-05-01-20/index.html
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 May, 2020 12:13 pm
Louisiana reports highest new case total since April 11
Source: CNN

The Louisiana Department of Health announced Friday 710 new cases of Covid-19 in the state, bringing the total to 28,711. This is the biggest jump in new cases in a day since April 11.

According to the governor's office, the health department has two new labs reporting tests, which likely explains the bump. Those labs reported 381 positive results, so the increase could be a function of delayed reporting to the state.

At least 1,927 people have died of coronavirus across the state.

Although Gov. John Bel Edwards extended the stay-at-home order through May 15, he did ease some restrictions to the order, which go into effect today.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-coronavirus-update-05-01-20/index.html
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 1 May, 2020 02:34 pm

Coronavirus in Texas: State sees highest single-day death toll from COVID-19

3:10 PM - Texas recorded 50 deaths from the new coronavirus Thursday, the highest one-day total since the pandemic began. The state also reported 1,033 new cases Thursday — the third-highest increase since the state began reporting coronavirus case counts. The ... (Texas Tribune)
chai2

Fri 1 May, 2020 03:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Yep. And the roads were already noticeably more crowded, and spotted 2 people going in and out of post office without masks.

JGoldman10

Fri 1 May, 2020 04:46 pm
A few days ago, as of the time of the posting of this, I went grocery shopping at my local plaza. I was thinking about the Covid-19 crisis and death toll in the U.S. and I started to think about this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z50Mm100L58

The Holy Spirit put this song in my spirit and I started singing it. I felt better after I did.
JGoldman10

Fri 1 May, 2020 05:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

A few days ago, as of the time of the posting of this, I went grocery shopping at my local plaza. I was thinking about the Covid-19 crisis and death toll in the U.S. and I started to think about this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z50Mm100L58

The Holy Spirit put this song in my spirit and I started singing it. I felt better after I did.