Bernie Sanders 2020

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 10:33 am
@hightor,
Please make the case for how the trade war with China is "bumbling?"

How would you deal with what is an obviously huge issue or do you not think it is?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 11:34 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That's proof enough that Israel is not a democracy. We're giving money to a country run by a tyrant. The country needs to be able to vote on this issue during our next election.

Israel's democratically elected parliament passed a law that allows the government to deny entry into Israel to any non-citizen who supports the BDS movement. Both Omar and Tlaib do. The BDS movement is anti-Semitic and seeks to end the Jewish State of Israel through economic and cultural boycott.

Israel is a sovereign nation and perfectly within it's right to prevent anyone (regardless of whether or not they have been elected) who advocates the eradication of the Jewish State.

Both congresswomen were initially going to be allowed in until their submitted itineraries proved they would be there for rabble-rousing alone.

This whole thing was stage by the pair: If they made it in they would make trouble for Israel, and if they didn't they would get to wail about Israel's Tyrannical government.

I'll say this for Tlaib. She did, apparently, very much want to visit her aged grandmother. The Israeli government acknowledged that and agreed to reverse their position if she signed an agreement that basically stated she wouldn't cause any trouble.

She did.

However, the Palestinians caught wind of this and made a stink against her so she bowed to the pressure, decided she wasn't going to go and is now blaming Israel for not being able to see her grandmother.

If Bernie Sanders wants to run on cutting aid to Israel, he's more than welcome to do so. It won't pick up any more supporters than he already has but it will lose a lot.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 11:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Many domestic businesses have been hurt, trading relationships (especially for agricultural products) have been upset — perhaps permanently, and the on-again-off-again whims of the Commander-in-Chief make it very difficult for businesses to plan for the future.
Quote:
How would you deal with what is an obviously huge issue or do you not think it is?

What makes you think I'm an economist? It is a huge issue. So is the climate crisis. We didn't arrive here overnight. But I will say that I believe multi-national action would be more effective than the US going head-to-head with China. And I think that dealing with the most contentious issues — like intellectual property — should have been done 0ne by one in step-wise fashion rather than trying to destroy China's economy and make it cry "uncle".
RABEL222

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 01:00 pm
@hightor,
Note that Finn is an ultraconservative Trump lover. Nothing that Trump does will be bad in his eyes.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 01:13 pm
@RABEL222,
I believe they have a mental condition called "ignorance." Trump has a history of racism and lying. His ignorance about most subjects are well known around the world. He's already been declared "most dangerous man in the world." He keeps winning these negative adjectives for good reasons.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 01:21 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Many domestic businesses have been hurt, trading relationships (especially for agricultural products) have been upset — perhaps permanently, and the on-again-off-again whims of the Commander-in-Chief make it very difficult for businesses to plan for the future.

Partisan influenced opinion.
Quote:

What makes you think I'm an economist? It is a huge issue. So is the climate crisis. We didn't arrive here overnight. But I will say that I believe multi-national action would be more effective than the US going head-to-head with China. And I think that dealing with the most contentious issues — like intellectual property — should have been done 0ne by one in step-wise fashion rather than trying to destroy China's economy and make it cry "uncle".

Clearly, you're not an economist which is why your "stumbling" & "bumbling" comments are of little value other than expressions of partisan opinion.

Multi-national action would be helpful but no other nation is willing to take China on. You'll notice that there hasn't been a whole lot of protestations from the rest of the world. They all want the Chinese Dragon to be tamed but like our presidents before Trump don't have the stomach for the task.

Trump isn't trying to destroy China's economy. That's an absurd statement. He is though trying to inflict economic pain on them. How else will they come to the table? We can't offer them more than they have and they don't care about being good global citizens.

It's pretty clear you've never engaged in high stakes negotiation.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 01:24 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Note that Finn is an ultraconservative Trump lover. Nothing that Trump does will be bad in his eyes.

Notice RABEL seems addicted to moronic expressions. I've expressed my displeasure with Trump's behavior and policies in the past. That you didn't pay attention is not surprising. It does seem apparent though that you someone for whom Trump can never do anything right.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 01:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, CI that must be it. None of us on the right have your incredibly high level of knowledge. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 03:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It's pretty clear you've never engaged in high stakes negotiation.

It's pretty clear you've got ideological blinders on with respect to this bumbling "dealmaker":

Quote:
The U.S. wheat industry is reacting with disappointment after President Donald Trump said that Japan, their No. 1 customer, doesn't really want to buy their grain.

According to White House transcripts, Trump made the comments Aug. 13 while speaking about energy during a campaign stop in Pennsylvania:

"Many car plants — they’re coming in from Japan. I told Prime Minister Abe — great guy. I said, 'Listen, we have a massive deficit with Japan.' They send thousands and thousands — millions — of cars. We send them wheat. Wheat. (Laughter.) That’s not a good deal. And they don’t even want our wheat. They do it because they want us to at least feel that we’re okay. You know, they do it to make us feel good."

source
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 11:12 am
@hightor,
Trump is too ignorant to understand what "free trade" means. His tariffs is a harbinger of creating handicaps for our country and the world.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 11:44 am
@hightor,
What does that have to do with his deals?

They are buying the wheat, what difference does it make how he frames it?
Ragman

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 12:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
At the risk of tedious repetition, Israel never claimed to be a democracy. In fact, USA does not have in the Constitution that USA must be a democracy. Republic yes , but not democracy. Our number one ally in the Middle East is Israel and that strategic relationship should bemaint. For certain I feel that better balance should be established. How that is achieved is for someone with a higher pay grade than mine. I’m barely a buck private.

Furthermore, just because Israel is not a democracy that doesn’t mean it is run by a tyrant. You may disagree with its policies for certain but calling it’s leader is pure hyperbole.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 12:23 pm
@Ragman,
We're also a democratic republic.
Quote:
One way to phrase this is the United States of America is a “representative republic” (a “representative democracy,” in a Republic).
Ragman

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 12:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Point is that Israel and how it governs itself in the United States and how it governs itself are quite different. How it chooses to defend itself against sworn enemies bent upon its destruction and out numbered 100 to 1 by its enemies is Isreal’s own choice.

It is and has been since its birth been locked in a battle for its survival. Somehow, United States must take much better balanced approach. FWIW, I’m leaning towards a two-state solution. But that is for a discussion on another day.
hightor

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 01:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

I don't know. How do you think he directs the negotiations? I'm just asking — how much hands on involvement does he have?
Quote:

Because it's a stupid way to talk about trade and it undercuts his credibility.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 01:25 pm
@Ragman,
We are not obligated to support them because they claim to be our ally. Remember the liberty. They have friendly relations with Russia. The only reason they claim friendship with us the hope they trick into a war with Iran. I have to admit that their prime minister is a clone of putin and trump. All dictators who kill their enemies. Broken neck by hanging my ass.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 02:25 pm
Will the subject be returning to Bernie Sanders soon?
Let me know when it does.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 02:47 pm
Sanders campaign to launch own 'newsletter with scoops'
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/457458-sanders-campaign-to-launch-own-newsletter-with-scoops
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 02:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
https://bernie.substack.com/
Here is a site to follow the newsletter
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 05:49 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

I don't know. How do you think he directs the negotiations? I'm just asking — how much hands on involvement does he have?

I think he has a lot of involvement. It's something he clearly takes great pride in. Whether or not he's good at has to be judged by the deals, but I'm fairly certain that his agents don't have the authority to cut a deal of which he hasn't approved.

Quote:

Because it's a stupid way to talk about trade and it undercuts his credibility.

Why is it stupid? Because you don't like him. Wheat producers really don't care whether or not Japan wants to buy their wheat as long as they do. Trade organizations are not wheat producers and they always feel compelled to speak out on PR matters.

How does it undercut his credibility? You don't find him credible regardless of what he says. I have a sneaky suspicion that the nations that deal with him find his promises and threats credible. Mexico and Canada got on board the USMCA deal pretty darn quickly...much sooner than the Dems in Congress.