Bernie Sanders 2020

RABEL222

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 09:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Showed your more intelligent than about 40% of the members of this site.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 09:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Please, please convince the majority of your leftist friends to insist on these.

They are not leftists if they don't support this stuff.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 05:29 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 06:18 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 10:57 am
" I bore the media. I keep talking about the same old things, how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" - Bernie in 1987
revelette1

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 12:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'll vote for Sanders if he wins, in fact I wouldn't mind it and would rather him some of the others such Harris. For some reason, I just can't cotton to her too much. She seems like a weather vane swinging this way and that. Warren just comes across as tightly high strung, she even shakes, kind of a like a twitchy bird.

The trouble is, I don't think Bernie's heart is in it this time for some reason. I guess he is disappointed or something with the way the campaign is going.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 12:48 pm
@revelette1,
All the negative press says Bernie is slipping. I haven't seen evidence of that. My thoughts about Warren are similar to what you've expressed. If she is nominated I will hold my nose to vote for her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 03:06 pm
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 07:59 am
Generic-Drug Giants Accused of Blocking Congressional Probe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-14/sanders-cummings-accuse-generic-drugmakers-of-obstruction?fbclid=IwAR2JEssecdooMKO2I-hay_919lKv4K-2EmvFSXBJj10_i55pip6O7Sy4ego
Senator Bernie Sanders and Representative Elijah Cummings are opening an investigation into generic-drug giants Mylan NV and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. on allegations of “apparent coordinated obstruction” in failing to provide lawmakers with details about their pricing practices.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for posting that link. Some interesting facts about coverage bias and censorship. Very disturbed about Pharmaceutical industry’s stranglehold and pricing of insulin medication. Shame on those scoundrels. I just wish the Bernie was a younger man so he could energetically make it to the forefront of this pack. Trump can’t debate and certainly not against Sanders.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:21 am
https://twitter.com/i/status/1161317316543447040
Exciting Bernie stuff
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:15 am
@Ragman,
I think he would debate better than Biden who is just as old (not sure which is older but Biden shows his age.) I know Sanders this time around sort of seems more grouchy so to speak. But, if he sticks to his passion in what he believes in, I think he would pass Warren up in the polls. I think some of his handlers might be to blame.

We always say Bernie has pie in the sky ideas, but really, what democrat president candidate does not in this day and age of politics in the US? If he can get half of what he wants done and manages to fix Obamacare and expand it, he will go a long way in my book. If he gets universal health care, more power to him. I think with a strong VP who is strong on foreign matters (not someone just like him but has some of his same ideas regarding Palestine and other issues ; what I mean is someone not so far to left, Stacy Abrams would be wonderful), our country would have gone a long way in fixing what Trump has tried to his best to break.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:39 am
@revelette1,
I agree whole heartedly about universal healthcare (I always advocated for it), but I do not believe it's fiscally feasible with Trump's tax cuts that increased our deficit. How are we going to pay for it?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:42 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm not sure how Finn knows who "the majority of your leftist friends" are. I wonder if he knows who all of his "rightist friends" are?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:51 am
On April 4, 1968, the night Martin Luther King Jr. was shot to death, Robert F. Kennedy, campaigning for the presidency, climbed up on a flatbed truck at a rally in an African American section of Indianapolis.

“Do they know about Martin Luther King?” he asked someone. Not everyone did. This was before 24-hour cable news and the internet. News traveled slowly compared with today.

“I have bad news for you, for all of our fellow citizens, and people who love peace all over the world, and that is that Martin Luther King was shot and killed tonight,” he said. “Martin Luther King dedicated his life to love and to justice for his fellow human beings, and he died because of that effort.”

In his brief speech that followed, Kennedy asked a stricken people to rise above grief and anger, to heights almost inconceivable in that terrible decade of the 1960s. A half-century later, his words are an example for this time of mass murders and race hatred. But today, politicians don’t seem to be able to find the words to inspire a shaken nation and rise above the muck of the presidential campaign.

When Kennedy spoke, the nation was torn, every bit as divided as it is now. There was the debate over the Vietnam War. Police assaulted African Americans and Latinos protesting racial segregation and denial of the vote. Segregationists murdered protesters. College students massed against the war and racism. Bombs planted in buildings were weapons of protest. America was in revolt.

“In this difficult day, in this difficult time for the United States, it is perhaps well to ask what kind of a nation we are and what direction we want to move in,” Kennedy told his audience. “For those of you who are black—considering the evidence there evidently is that there were white people who were responsible (for King’s death)—you can be filled with bitterness, with hatred, and a desire for revenge. We can move in that direction as a country, in great polarization—black people amongst black, white people amongst white, filled with hatred toward one another.

“Or we can make an effort, as Martin Luther King did, to understand and to comprehend, and to replace that violence, that stain of bloodshed that has spread across our land, with an effort to understand with compassion and love.

“For those of you who are black and are tempted to be filled with hatred and distrust at the injustice of such an act, against all white people, I can only say that I feel in my own heart the same kind of feeling. I had a member of my family killed, but he was killed by a white man. But we have to make an effort in the United States, we have to make an effort to understand, to go beyond these rather difficult times.

“My favorite poet was Aeschylus. He wrote: ‘In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.’

“What we need in the United States is not division; what we need in the United States is not hatred; what we need in the United States is not violence or lawlessness; but love and wisdom, and compassion toward one another, and a feeling of justice toward those who still suffer within our country, whether they be white or they be black.”

At this point, we must be reminded that there was another side to this story. Kennedy had a hypocritical side. It is told in the archives of Stanford University’s Martin Luther King, Jr. Research and Education Institute, and in the journalism of the time.

In October 1963, Kennedy, then attorney general, authorized wiretaps on King’s home and the offices of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference at the request of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover. Hoover insisted that one of King’s closest advisers was secretly a member of the Communist Party. The FBI’s counterintelligence program (COINTELPRO) subjected King to surveillance, according to the Stanford archives. It “produced alleged evidence of extramarital affairs but no evidence of Communist influence.”

This history is relevant today.

Law enforcement will no doubt be given more power in the search for white terrorists. In the Hoover-COINTELPRO era, law enforcement—from the FBI down to the local police—were given such latitude, and some of the cops indulged their right-wing feelings. There’s some—maybe much—of that among today’s law enforcement, now directed against immigrants and African Americans who protest police conduct. These feelings no doubt will be part of the new war against extremists, led by a president who encourages white extremists and his toady of an attorney general.

The Kennedy who eulogized King rose above the man who was persuaded by Hoover to wiretap King.

Toward the end of Kennedy’s life (he was assassinated in June 1968) he exemplified the words and thoughts of Abraham Lincoln, another inspirational speaker. Seeking to bring the nation together in his first inaugural address, Lincoln said, “We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”

Almost a century later, with the country almost as divided as it was on the eve of the Civil War, Kennedy’s speech in Indianapolis reflected the spirit of Lincoln, in words that should guide this generation of politicians.

As he summed up his thoughts, he said, “Let us dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world.

“Let us dedicate ourselves to that, and say a prayer for our country and for our people.”

Sadly, today’s politicians are too cautious, too inarticulate, too glued to the polls to rise to this terrible moment of American history.
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/words-were-not-hearing-from-leaders-who-should-be-saying-them/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 11:10 am
We've got to rein in the military if we are to even think about other reforms. Between that and the tax cuts to billionaires we are making the poorest segments of the population pay the nation's bills. It's not sustainable.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 11:11 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Please, please convince the majority of your leftist friends to insist on these.

They are not leftists if they don't support this stuff.

Good point!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 11:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm not sure how Finn knows who "the majority of your leftist friends" are. I wonder if he knows who all of his "rightist friends" are?

I don't, at all, know who any of edgar's friends are. Why ask such a silly question?
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 11:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
Well, finance is out of my zone so to speak, but it seems to me that reversing those tax cuts, cutting military a bit, raising taxes on corporations who have been profiting for years while the rest of us have not, might go a long way to pay for it. Can't be any worse in debt than Trump has already put us, IMO.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 11:18 am
@revelette1,
That all makes sense, but congress is not sensible, and we're the ones who put them there.