Bernie Sanders 2020

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 12:17 pm
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/no-warren-and-sanders-are-not-the-same/
No, Warren and Sanders Are Not the Same
Baldimo

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 12:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
David Sirota is a joke, I'm not surprised to see him as a speech writer/adviser for Bernie. When he was on the radio here in Denver I actually liked his how because he was so wrong so often that it was decent entertainment. He once called me an ass on the radio because I backed him into a corner on the subject of Denver spending money on Christmas decorations during the economic down turn in 2009, he had no answer because the money spent was from the previous years budget planning and had nothing to do with the money spent on other items he was concerned about.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 01:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
I haven't been fond of truthdig since 2016, so I'll pass on the link. However, I will say, there was a clear difference I noticed in the debate as I watch most of it. (I have to admit, three hours is a long time.) Bernie Sanders was at least more transparent when it came to admitting that the middle class will have pay more taxes in order to pay for Medicare for All according to his plan. Warren, skirted and hem and hawed around it. It's a shame, I was liking her despite being too leftist for me. I am a progressive, just more a moderate pragmatic one. I know how you feel about that. It's ok.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 01:11 pm
@Lash,
Seeing this just now.

Quote:
I disagreed with Bernie supporting Clinton. 
So? I’ve never agreed with everything a political candidate said. That seems nuts to me.

What seems nuts to me is to support a politician but not his core political strategy. Bernie opted to take part in the dem primary, and promised to abide by the results right from the start, because he prefers democrats to republicans.

He didn't run in the republican primaries, now did he?

You seem to think he should have disregarded the results of the primaries and run as an independent in the general. But but but that would have been breaking his promise, and helping Trump win, two despicable sins.

I trust that Bernie Sanders -- a good and intelligent person, a man of his word -- would hate having such stain on his conscience.
engineer

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 01:45 pm
@revelette3,
Warren misses the obvious answer - Corporations will pay and gladly so. Today they pay and face a lot of uncertainty about where healthcare is going. They also have to pay (or pay someone) to administer the program. If the government said "we're going to take over all this, you need to pay an employment tax of $X / employee", businesses would be thrilled. The same cost to them without all the overhead. I think both Warren and Sanders miss the observation that we (the public) are all paying indirectly for all the healthcare in the country. That might be through corporations passing the costs on for health insurance, it might be through higher fees at hospitals and caregivers to support the uninsured, it might be through medicare taxes, but we're paying for it all. The cost of healthcare in the US is not going to dramatically change if we extend healthcare to everyone. There are more people to care for, but the process would be dramatically more efficient and preventative and early stage care is a lot cheaper than our current process of providing care to the uninsured, then suing them to try and get money. I'm not sure why Warren or Sanders won't point that out and a corporate head tax will make the system so similar to what we have today that people won't notice any change in their paychecks.
revelette3

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 02:17 pm
@engineer,
When we start getting into numbers/figures and taxes, I admit freely, it is over my head. I sucked at math, big time.

I have read from various sources over the years that the savings from our current health care will pay for Medicare for All of Sander's claim, is faulty. I have no way of knowing if that is true or not. I would rather not risk it.

I just wish Obamacare was fixed and then perhaps eventually, we could work our way up to having UHC. It worries me when I hear talk of a doing away with Obamacare to create something from scratch because what do we do while everything is getting started? It would just seem more easier to fix what we got first; I think more voters would go for that without reservation with more a diverse field than just way leftist progressives.
engineer

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 02:26 pm
@revelette3,
I'm with you there. I'd rather go the "fix Obamacare" route, especially since we've had OC for a few years and it works pretty well at getting more people healthcare. It doesn't get to everyone and that is where we need to improve it, but seeing active efforts to sabotage it pretty much just for spite is depressing.
revelette3

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 02:33 pm
@engineer,
Depressing but in keeping with all the rest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 03:19 pm
@revelette3,
I don't expect any centrists to like Truthdig.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 03:21 pm
@engineer,
The ACA failed to lower costs for a vast majority of the population and many of the insurance companies have left the exchanges because they could no longer afford to offer the insurance. How many states have given up their own state exchanges because of price? The ACA failed to do a majority of what it promised, it should be scraped and we should go back to the old system where I was only paying 350 a month for coverage instead of the almost $1000 a month I spend now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 03:22 pm
I'm not fond of giving our money to insurance companies and getting the barest minimum they can squeeze out in return.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 05:19 pm
@Olivier5,
Yes, that’s exactly true. I know why he did it. He’s a much better person than I am. He’s a much better human being than most people are. I just disagree with a man being cheated and then turning around and knocking himself out for her.

He was too good.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 06:50 pm
@Lash,
After listening to lash and Edgar i am rethinking my declaration to vote for any democrat candidate. If Bernie attracts these kind of people I am beginning to think he is damaged.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 10:41 pm
https://www.collective-evolution.com/2019/01/31/robert-f-kennedy-jr-explains-how-big-pharma-completely-owns-congress/?fbclid=IwAR0bBgIjUCyVxGNrNW7gEGEIANiKANoyUQ7c3f0VhLSpYVhPJJwsgxUF3iA
Robert F. Kennedy Jr Explains How Big Pharma Completely Owns Congress
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 11:30 pm
@Lash,
Too good for your taste maybe, because you like bad people. For me, he did the exact right thing.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 01:32 am
@Olivier5,
It’s a kindergarten playground around here.
You like bad people.

You talk like Trump.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 02:55 am
@revelette3,
As long as the US health is run by a for-profit industry, people will suffer and die because of how much money they have.

This is racist and classist and cruel.

For example, since more poor people are black, a trend has emerged that black maternal deaths are rising.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2019/p0905-racial-ethnic-disparities-pregnancy-deaths.html

No one who pays for insurance should ever have to argue with an insurance company over their claim being denied.

It is just stupid to accept this murderous bullshit.

No one should accept this.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 03:20 am
@Lash,
What does "too good" mean in your kindegarden language?

If you try throwing stupid language at me, don't get pissed when I turn it on you.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 03:53 am
@Olivier5,
Obviously I respect Sanders. His response after being cheated by Clinton was excessively benevolent. I think you could figure that out the first time I said it, but you have an agenda.
blatham

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 04:11 am
@Lash,
Best Lash post ever

-> -> -> "but you have an agenda." <- <- <-