Bernie Sanders 2020

Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:18 am
A video created by independent producer Matt Orfalea in support of Sen. Bernie Sanders went viral Friday as progressives praised the five-minute ad for offering a powerful counter to the corporate media's consistently negative portrayal of Sanders and his 2020 presidential campaign.

I found it so true. The pundits just can't stand his intellectual honesty and how it resonates in a nation literally starved of intelligence and honesty (in part by them).

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:20 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
the corporate media's consistently negative portrayal of Sanders and his 2020 presidential campaign
Sorry, but I read a lot of media every day and this claim, though often repeated by Sanders' supporters, does not match my experience at all.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:28 am
@blatham,
When is the last time you read a positive or neutral review of Sanders in corporate media? We're not talking of blogs and fanzines here.
hightor

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:44 am
@Olivier5,
I think the coverage of him has been pretty even-handed. Honestly, how are they supposed to treat him? They mention his programs, they mention his financial contributions from small donors, they mention the intensity of his support, they mention his political history, they cover issues that arise — like his second home and his "millionaire" status — both of which were "nothingburgers". This is their job. We want them to dig this stuff up, lay it on the table, and let us see all sides of the candidate. We want this done now, early in the campaign, so that the Republican slime machine doesn't unveil a twisted version of the story in September. All the major candidates are similarly scrutinized and if a minor candidate emerges from the crowd, they'll be scrutinized as well.
blatham

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:58 am
@Olivier5,
Hightor just laid it out very nicely. But, yes, I do understand you are referring to the big media entities such as (in print) the WP and the NYT and other large papers and periodicals. I read both those papers every day along with others as they grab my attention. Coverage of Sanders is not markedly different than coverage of Warren or Biden (who naturally gain more attention being front-runners) or Beto or Mayor Pete or any of the others. For all of them, it's a mixed bag for the reasons hightor details.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 10:14 am
@blatham,
I'm sorry but I don't buy it. WaPo for instance has been pretty rabidly anti-Sanders, e.g. in the recent "three pinocchii" story about the impact of health costs on bankruptcy. When they go as far as lying in their own fact-checking column, it's pretty bad...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 10:24 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
the corporate media's consistently negative portrayal of Sanders and his 2020 presidential campaign
Sorry, but I read a lot of media every day and this claim, though often repeated by Sanders' supporters, does not match my experience at all.

Sanders attracts folks who see conspiracies in every shadowed corner. If he doesn't win the nomination they will explode with outrage and outrageous theories. They just can't bear to consider that their Shining Galahad is a tin woodsman.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 11:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Sanders attracts folks who see conspiracies in every shadowed corner. 

There aren't many climate change deniers that are pro-Bernie, though.
blatham

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 11:46 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If he doesn't win the nomination they will explode with outrage and outrageous theories.
That seems a certainty. But not all of them by any means.

For me, there are two interesting aspects to this. First, the tendency, variable in humans obviously, to ascribe unique and near-sacred qualities to a particular individual they wish to have as a leader. That's very common in religion but obviously in other human endeavors as well such as politics. Authoritarians count on this human tendency and utilize it to their own advantage. Others, like celebrities, often become victimized by it and can't leave their homes without disguising their appearance. It's lunacy of a sort but part of our genetic inheritance as social creatures. Mind you, none of what I just wrote applies to Billy Eilish who is a god creature.

The second aspect is the infiltration of the pro-Bernie camp by Russian (and perhaps other) troll operations designed specifically to promote such extremism and utilize it for malign purposes.
blatham

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 11:48 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
There aren't many climate change deniers that are pro-Bernie, though.
That is so and it is important to keep in mind. Sanders' worldview and policy proposals meet the general aims of most on the left. He's a much better fellow than many of his adherents.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 12:14 pm
This needs reposting.

Quote:
Bernie Sanders has a smart critique of corporate media bias
By Katrina vanden Heuvel, August 20, 2019

Last week, after criticizing Amazon for underpaying its workers and paying nothing in federal income taxes last year, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) noted: “I talk about that all of the time. And then I wonder why The Washington Post — which is owned by Jeff Bezos who owns Amazon — doesn’t write particularly good articles about me.” The response was immediate. Martin Baron, The Post’s executive editor, dismissed Sanders’s characterization as a “conspiracy theory.” CNN’s commentators accused Sanders of using President Trump’s playbook; NPR similarly suggested he was echoing Trump. Nate Silver, the editor of FiveThirtyEight, descended to psychological babble, assailing Sanders for having a “sense of entitlement,” feeling that “he’s entitled to the nomination this time, and if he doesn’t win, it’s only because ‘the media’/'the establishment’ took it away from him."

Let’s be clear: The Post and the New York Times aren’t the same as Fox News, which has turned into a shameless propaganda outfit. But Sanders wasn’t repeating Trump; he was making a smart structural critique of our commercial mainstream media.

It’s not as if Sanders lacks for evidence that he has particularly suffered at the hands of the mainstream media. The New York Times featured an article on his trip to the Soviet Union decades ago as somehow formative of his views, and got caught quoting a Democratic strategist critical of Sanders without disclosing the strategist’s close ties to Hillary Clinton’s super PAC. Sometimes outlets simply pretend Sanders doesn’t exist, as when Politico headlined a national poll showing Sanders in a strong second place this way: “Harris, Warren tie for third place in new 2020 Dem poll, but Biden still leads.” After one fiercely contested debate between Sanders and Hillary Clinton in early March 2016, The Post published 16 news articles and opinion pieces, many of them critical, about Sanders in 16 hours; a few weeks later, the Times’s own public editor criticized the post-publication “stealth editing” of a piece originally favorable to Sanders.

But, contrary to his critics’ claims, Sanders disavowed any notion that Bezos controls coverage at The Post. “I think my criticism of the corporate media is not … that they wake up, you know, in the morning and say, ‘What could we do to hurt Bernie Sanders?’ ” he told CNN. Instead he offered a criticism that is neither new nor radical: “There is a framework of what we can discuss and what we cannot discuss, and that’s a serious problem.”

In an interview with John Nichols of the Nation (where I serve as publisher and editorial director), Sanders went out of his way to distinguish this critique of the media from Trump’s assault on the free press: “We’ve got to be careful. We have an authoritarian type president right now, who does not believe in our Constitution, who is trying to intimidate the media … That’s not what we do. But I think what we have to be concerned about ... is that you have a small number of very, very large corporate interests who control a lot of what the people in this country see, hear, and read. And they have their agenda.”

In an email to supporters, Sanders wrote: “Even more important than much of the corporate media’s dislike of our campaign is the fact that much of the coverage in this country portrays politics as entertainment, and largely ignores the major crises facing our communities. ... As a general rule of thumb, the more important the issue is to large numbers of working people, the less interesting it is to the corporate media.” The corporate media inevitably turns politics into a horse race and policy into “gotcha” questions or personality disputes. Trump’s ability to dominate the free media in 2016 is testament to this tendency.

The structural bias of the corporate media is particularly clear in these tempestuous times. The elite consensus — the post-Cold War bipartisan embrace of corporate globalization, market fundamentalism and the United States’ global reach — has been shattered in the sands of Iraq and the suites of Wall Street. With the economy — even at its best — not working for most Americans, the old order cannot be sustained. When insurgent candidates such as Sanders shock Beltway pundits, conventional wisdom is exposed as folly. Sanders is particularly frowned on by the Democratic Party establishment and by big business, which disagree with his views, especially on inequality. Not surprisingly, a mainstream media that swims in that same pond takes on the same color. It doesn’t take a call from the outlets’ owners. [...]

More:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/08/20/bernie-sanders-has-smart-critique-corporate-media-bias/
Baldimo

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 12:19 pm
@Olivier5,
This only becomes a thing when the leftist talk about it and it effects them? The right has been pointing this out for the last couple of years, and by the way, it isn't limited to just the MSM, it is also prevalent on the social media platforms as well. Tulsi Gabbard has a lawsuit filed against Google for this type of practice.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 02:19 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
The second aspect is the infiltration of the pro-Bernie camp by Russian (and perhaps other) troll operations designed specifically to promote such extremism and utilize it for malign purposes.

Says the Canuk troll Very Happy
Baldimo

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 02:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Bernie should be right at home with Russians, he went there on his honeymoon, he loves a lack of liberty and freedom.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 02:36 pm
@Baldimo,
That tells us a lot about Young Bernie.

I don't think he's grown since then.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 03:17 pm
@blatham,
Yeah.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 03:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
We work out of a Mennonite barn in Saskatchewan. 30 or 40 quill pens scribbling madly away between prayers and milking time. Burros carry the cedar shakes we write on down to the general store/post office 40 miles to the north. After that, we don't care to know.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 04:00 pm
@hightor,
They forget to preface his name with HIS DEITY, duty I like Bernie. I won't vote for him because his followers have turned me off. Can you envision Edgar or lash as sec of state?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 06:28 pm
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 02:47 am
@Baldimo,
The right says journalists are the enemy of the people. Sanders says corporate media are not the friends of progressives. Can you spot the difference?
0 Replies