What is your favorite cow?

McTag

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 11:38 pm
Some of these images did not come out on my machine, Dagmar.

Bramah bulls- I thought they were for tossing off cowboys?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:08 pm
That horse was HUGE!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:10 am
Ah, this time I can see the pictures. thanks for posting.

Draught (draft) horses can be very huge. Here they are commonly called shire horses. The biggest is the Clydesdale, I think. Noble beasts.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:34 am
the cow was funny. her lower teeth stuck out over her top teeth.

it was a strong experience. we grew quite fond of nature. we will surely drive to visit a farm again one day. perhaps on the way to six flags new england entertainment park...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:59 am
yeh, well try living it each and every day. Cows, sheep, chickens, feed, water, manure spreading, gates mysteriously opening and animals wandering off to sunnier climes.

Police cars appearing with summonses to serve us with a "livestock or beast of burden, must be kept under total control of the owner /operatorof facility employing such livestock or beasts of burden. No livestock animal or beast of burden shall be allowed free access to areas extra tenemant and messuage or lands surrounding thereof"
"Violation of these ordinances shall result in a fine of up to 200$ per occurence and up to 30 (thirty) days in jail"

Too bad the cows are tattooed with a bar code, Id just let em migrate as far south as they feel is necessary to find themselves and express their creative urges.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:25 pm
One farmerman sounds a little cranky! By the way, those calves were in 6x3 feet pens with little hutches attached - were they meant to be sold for veal?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:11 pm
I've had a few jobs involving impounding farmerman, always causes problems between people but we go them sorted out without to much rancour (got to keep neighbourly relations, don't want a "range war" Very Happy )

And check this out

http://www.matmice.com/home/farmlife

I reckon the kid who wrote that is a natural.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:15 pm
littlek wrote:
One farmerman sounds a little cranky! By the way, those calves were in 6x3 feet pens with little hutches attached - were they meant to be sold for veal?

Where exactly were you guys anyway? Did you just stop at random farms?

Were these farms open to the public for some reason? Friends of yours?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:17 pm
It was a learning farm near the college I went to. It's North of Keene, NH.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:21 pm
ok then
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:23 pm
Gus, don't believe it. There's no such place as Keene, NH. They went to Atlantic City for the weekend. Learning farm...pfft!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:26 pm
And the cows and such?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:27 pm
Those weren't cows, littlek. They were tourists. Honestly, you are so insensitive....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:28 pm
Reminds me of a story.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:30 pm
<all ears>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:31 pm
another bat-thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:15 pm
That's a neat link, Goodfielder. I want to sign in and invite him to this thread... (but matmice was busy). Good natural writer, you're right.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:41 pm
Ill bet matmice is on a sheep station with thousands of sheep. His concern for a "sick " sheep seems to extend to only once a year. We only have a few hundred ewes but have to do a careful med looksee weekly. This involves having the dogs go out and change sheep pastures and then driving them to a small field where we can walk around AND SEE IF ANYONE is showing symptoms. ( diahrea, head down, bottle jaw, etc etc)
Sheephave but one goal in life. They are always trying to die. Our job as shepherds is to keep them from achieving their goal.

Gus, dag and lilk were out HUNTING maple syrup. What calibre does one use for maple syrup hunting?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:51 pm
Yep farmerman, I think he's in New Zealand. It's even worse here in Oz, especially in the pastoral areas. It was frustrating to get a call from a station manager telling us that he was "missing" a few hundred head of sheep, we'd go up there to investigate and ask the usual questions"

Q."When did you last check the paddock?"

A. "Shearing time."

Q. "When did you notice them missing?"

A. "Crutching time."

Q. "So that's a six month gap right?"

A. "That'd be right."

Of course there's the other end of the scale in some of the temperate areas here farmers are producing Superfine Merino wool from sheep that are shedded during winter (with little overcoats on) and kept in small home paddocks in summer and hand fed to ensure proper nutrition.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:05 pm
Merino. My wife would kill for a flock of Merino , too bad they have all that wrinkly skin. Nobody around here knows how to shear em without major bloodsports.
0 Replies