What is your favorite cow?

JPB

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:57 am
I don't like any cows. I grew up in Vt. There were cows everywhere. I didn't have much of an opinion on them one way or the other until the day my sister took me out to her bf's farm when I was 10. Asshole bf put me on the back of a cow and slapped his rump. Damned cow took off with a screaming J trying to hold on. I fell into the muck and before I could get my feet under me, the freakin cow started to pee. It splashed all over me and I was a VERY unhappy J. Oh, it's was my 10th bday that day. I hate all cows and asshole bfs.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:56 pm
Obviously, I like cows a lot, or I wouldn't have spent the past thirty years working with them. However, my favorite is an easy choice: she's the last one down the alley at the end of the day whenever I have over five hundred to pregancy test!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:38 pm
that would be a days work. We do ultrasound testing on our 500 or so ewes, however, since we dont have as big a sheep herd as they have in the west.(We have friends with 25000 ewes).So They dont take long to do at all. The only problem is corraling them all and the running them out the chutes. We put bar code ear tags
so we can enter all that data
. My son whipped up a little heady scrubber for their ears when they come in the squeeze pens. Sheep get their ear tags really dirty in the fall and winter from all the mud.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:56 pm
Jerseys are delicate, lovely beasts.

The jersey bull, however, is a mean beast.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 11:50 am
All bulls are mean beasts - the linebackers of the paddock.

I have to protest this binary world again. Jersey or Holstein? What about the others? I mean here we are as usual locked into the western paradigm. What about all the zebu breeds?

Having said that I'm not that keen on zebus much preferring bos taurus but I'm a traditionalist, I reckon cattle went downhill after aurochs disappeared.

Oh Jerseys get my vote. The milk's better and they have much better manners than the Holsteins.

btw what's the difference between a Holstein and a Friesian or has that been covered?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:00 pm
Holstein are called Holstein Friesian as well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:01 pm
Around here , theyve always called them Friesian/Holsteins. I never knew that there was a difference. Kinda like ementhaler and swiss. Cant swear on it somebody look it up. I still think that Brown Swiss are just gorgeous cows. They arent all bony like holsteins , and they dont look retarded like Jerseys.
We raise dexters and a coupla other mixes which, I guess, technically, are all just weird cattle
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:04 pm
I have known several cows in my time, the adjective favourite is not applicable.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:05 pm
Steaky?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:08 pm
I know this is not relevant BUT

27 views,

and no-one has dared express an opinion

please someone break the ice

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48704&highlight=
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:13 pm
On a more serious tone

My Favourite Cow

Is Angus from Aberdeen, Scotland

http://www.valentinesstables.nl/english/page2.html
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:25 pm
Why do dairy breeds look more serene? Is it because they know they're not going to end up in the slaughterhouse any time soon? Well, as long as they're producing milk of course.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:07 pm
24 votes cast and it's still a dead heat. Down the stretch they come, nose to nose, Jersey and Holstein, hooves thundering as their noses strain for the finish line.

Which of these magnificent beasts will be the ultimate victor?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:53 pm
Does it really matter gustav? It's such a nice thread
despite.... Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 02:00 pm
Can you please add the cash cow? That's my favorite.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 02:07 pm
It is a nice thread, CJ. A thread that seems to be bringing all the A2K cow-lovers together.

You can sense that we are becoming a family, can't you?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 02:10 pm
Sure I can! Milking brings us together.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 02:11 pm
I have a painter friend, Willa Briggs, who puts cows into a lot of her paintings, and this is one of them.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQAAAI8ZG0cL0WcNNO5cZTSLFdn5HX8IXWsTKsKPVEt77s6l*4e4G5E*cxGwWyTsuQHtWXdU6wjs8jbqCNAlz!ktGKmWFe2cacXZqn0g8pYLtQm46fITyzWAYGdnTBX*/Cow%20by%20Willa%20Briggs.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 02:24 pm
Willa paints cows from Ferndale, a victorian village in the north of northern California. Here's a photo of some of the Ferndale cows from our local newpaper, the North Coast Journal. Note, a large majority of Humboldt County cows are raised within the guidelines for organic milk production.
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/042700/cover0427-fieldcows.jpeg

I think a lot of Ferndale's cows are jerseys, but I don't know the percentage.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:16 pm
cows
a hobby farmer just outside the city has a herd of SCOTTISH HIGHLAND CATTLE . they may not give much milk and probably don't have much meat on their bones, but when we see them in the winter roaming around with several feet of snow on the ground they really look magnificient. apparently they can subsist on any kind of fodder and don't require much more than a windbreak for winter protection. so they get my vote. hbg
0 Replies