What is your favorite cow?

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 03:55 pm
That's what you think gustav !
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 03:58 pm
Well, I have caucused with the members of the Czech Association of Breeders of Cattle (or something to that effect) and they agree that the best breed of cow ever is Galloway. I must oject to the fact that this choice does not appear on the poll. I strenuously object.
http://www.galloway-world.org/czech/LOGO.JPG
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 04:13 pm
The Galloway is a good choice, Dag, but still doesn't belong in the upper echelon of cows. The one good feature of the Galloway is the uncanny ability they have of lining up in perfect formation for photo shoots. Holsteins and Jerseys still assemble in a haphazard fashion.

http://www.plejaderna.nu/torget/torgbilder/pic3b.gif
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 04:43 pm
http://www.parmesanonline.com/immagini/Parmigiano/imagesQualita/Reggiana2.jpg

Reggiana. It's the cheese.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:07 pm
Anyone here play Meadow Muffin Bingo? It's very popular at my local county fair. First you spray paint a big bingo card in a field, next everyone bets on a number and then the cows are let in. When a cow plops a meadow muffin on your number you win. I once won a big dinner bell and a basket of acrylic yarn.

My favorite cows are the Scotish ones with the big horns and fancy hairdos like the early Beatles. I'm hopless at posting pictures (I drive a MAC) or I would put up an example
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:10 pm
Just click on "quote" above my last post and you'll see exactly how to do it GW.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:32 pm
Thanks cjhsa - I'll give it a practice session in the test area when I have some time. I understand the basic concept. I think I was confused because if I load up a picture to a server I need to do extra MAC steps.

Ok everyone back to cows before Gus pokes me with his pitchfork...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:35 pm
Green Witch, I'm on a Mac too. If you need help, let me know.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:48 pm
Voted for Holstein like a good Dutchman should.

That pic of Brooke is just wrong in so many different ways ... Shocked Razz

Live and learn ... there's ladies who like to dress up (or dress down) as cows ... and theres ladies who spend their free time playing music to 'em.

And here I was thinking it was a Gus thing.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:21 pm
Some cow advice to help you choose before you answer the poll.

A good holstein can give 85 lbs of milk a day.

That means you can take a milk bath every day with just one cow.

A Jersey can have almost twice the butterfat of a holstein so they produce a lot more butter but with less milk.

Butter is great for smearing on the plastic sheets and....... well. I am sure Gus can tell you the rest if you need it explained.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:35 pm
kickycan wrote:
Green Witch, I'm on a Mac too. If you need help, let me know.

Thanks Kicky - I might have to take you up on that offer. Too tired tonight.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:39 pm
The Cow
The friendly cow all red and white,
I love with all my heart:
She gives me cream with all her might,
To eat with apple-tart.
She wanders lowing here and there,
And yet she cannot stray,
All in the pleasant open air,
The pleasant light of day;
And blown by all the winds that pass
And wet with all the showers,
She walks among the meadow grass
And eats the meadow flowers.
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Good night folks.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 04:16 am
http://home.wanadoo.nl/anepiphany/images/liberty_cow.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:20 am
Have any of you actually seen a cow? They can be the biggest PITAsses. They are always testing their fences so t find a way out of the pasture. They have acres of grass to eat but no, the damn things wanna wander around a macadam road. Holsteins are a fairly safe breed if they are selected for their white spots. Those can be seen at midnight in a moonless night while doing 70 on a back country road. A jersey, not so much. We had a major accident with 2 people killed when some jo was toodlin around in a vette and ran into a neighbors Brown Swiss, which, as far as Im concerened , is bedecked in cammo.

Also cows have a strong curiousity streak, Theyre stubborn but quizzical. They wanna be anywhere your at, if your part of their herd. They wont leave you alone and they love playing a form of "tag" where theyll come up behind you , very stealthily, and lift you off your feet with their snoots. Then they ally look like theyre having a huge laugh as you pick your ass up. They quickly look way if you turn and confront them.

The only thing worthdoing then is to bring out pictures of roasts and steaks on the grille and that shuts em up.

Cows are sinister and not so dumb beings Theyve evolved this totally benign, kind of vapid look. Thats all part of the act.

California cows are the worst, besides all the above features, the typical California cow wants to "share" what your doing. I was drawing out in a dry hill area around Novato once and got just bound up by a small herd that kept watching over my shoulder .F*en critics. What'da they know about art?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
farmerman wrote:
California cows are the worst, besides all the above features, the typical California cow wants to "share" what your doing. I was drawing out in a dry hill area around Novato once and got just bound up by a small herd that kept watching over my shoulder .F*en critics. What'da they know about art?

Mr. Green California is a 50/50 state on every level.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 09:51 am
farmerman wrote:
Have any of you actually seen a cow

I think you have a valid point there, farmerman. I would guess the majority of A2Ker's only experience with a cow is when they drive down the road, see a couple of the bovines grazing in the distance, and roll down their windows and go "MOOOOOOO"

Then, giggling and more pot inhalation.

(especially Calamity Jane. She's a city girl if I've ever seen one.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:04 am
Actually that's quite true gustav. When I was little and on
summer vacation, my parents had sent me to a farm, so I
can experience the country side http://www.borge.diesal.de/schiel.gif

After 3 days I sent the most heartwrenching letter to my
father who promptly picked me up again.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:10 am
My real preference is...

http://www.youngsdairy.com/images/The%20Whimsical%20Cash%20Cow%20004.jpg

THE CASH COW!!!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:11 am
Farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Have any of you actually seen a cow?
Seen them? Heck, when I was a kid we used to ride cows.

A guernsey is a fine cow to ride bareback. I wouldn't suggest trying it with holsteins unless you saddle them first. Considering we didn't have a saddle (or a horse) we had to ride the guernsey instead.

Quote:
Cows are sinister and not so dumb beings Theyve evolved this totally benign, kind of vapid look. Thats all part of the act.
I don't know about sinister but they do know its time to eat when you yell. "Here Boss"

Quote:
I was drawing out in a dry hill area around Novato once and got just bound up by a small herd that kept watching over my shoulder .F*en critics. What'da they know about art?
Your art just wasn't MOOO ving enough for them?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:15 am
After days of stumbling over and around this thread, I have finally decided to come in, to give the definitive word on the subject. Attend, all. It is the Holstein.
0 Replies