Poor Kavanaugh wants to run for SC judge

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 09:52 am
@maporsche,
She is still setting unreasonable conditions that Grassley won't meet and so the "It's unfair" cries will continue.
camlok

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 09:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
US legislators always want to control the scenarios so they can crush the truth, Finn. You know this. Look at the "set up to fail" fraud that was the 9/11 commission.

You do know that the NIST WTC7 study has been shown to be a total lie, a total fraud by a careful, rigorous, scientific forensic engineering study, don't you?

You understand the implications of that, don't you?

[Finn will now flee, seeking shelter from reality]
maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 10:03 am
@camlok,
https://able2know.org/topic/477051-1
camlok

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 10:14 am
@maxdancona,
You really don't like reality to intrude into your delusional world, do you, maxdancona.

The pertinent information I posted describes how US legislators should NEVER be given the chance to investigate anything. Surely you don't believe that crazy partisan hacks can be measured, evenhanded, fair, just, truthful, ... .

Your whole new entire dog and pony show is based on this very premise.

The PERFECT example I gave to illustrate my point, which scares you silly, comes from a forensic engineer who has 53 years of experience in construction engineering.

But here we have max, the honest debater, trying to micromanage the discussion.

And deny reality.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 10:27 am
@Real Music,
I've been really impressed by Senator Hirono - nice to see someone referencing her

Real Music wrote:

Quote:
Sen. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, declined to comment specifically on Collins and Murkowski, saying the pressure should be placed on all senators, "but particularly the Republicans in the Senate Judiciary Committee."

During a news conference Thursday to voice support for Ford, Hirono also predicted Republicans' treatment of the professor could backfire in the midterm election if voters think she is being mistreated.

"I hope the women of America — as well as the men, by the way, because why should it just be the women who care about fair treatment? It's men. It's all of America," she said. "I think there's a lot more attention being paid to how this whole thing is being handled."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kavanaugh-accusers-offer-to-testify-puts-key-republicans-in-a-bind/ar-AAApZw9?ocid=UE13DHP

coverage from the conservative side in Canada and US uses AP reporting but slightly different headlines

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/low-key-senator-steps-into-spotlight-tells-men-to-step-up

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/politics/hawaii-sen-hirono-calls-for-men-to-shut-up-and-step-up-in-defense-of-kavanaugh-accuser-blasey-ford

Politico writes its own article

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/18/brett-kavanaugh-sexual-assault-allegations-senate-hearings-mazie-hirono-interview-220064

Quote:

“It somewhat stretches credulity, let’s put it that way,” said Hirono in an interview for the latest episode of POLITICO’s Off Message podcast. “I think he didn’t want to lie about it, so one way you get through that is saying, ‘I don’t remember.’”

If Kavanaugh’s nomination fizzles and President Donald Trump has to name a replacement, Hirono says he better find someone whom she considers less of a conservative ideologue, or else prepare for Senate Democrats—especially if they win a majority in November’s elections—to keep the court seat vacant until after the 2020 election.

“I think we’ve had those kinds of vacancies before, and we certainly had over a one-year vacancy with Merrick Garland,” said Hirono. “So the world does not come to an end because we don’t fill all of the nominees.”

Hirono is short. She is quiet. She’s not much of a tweeter. She’s not running for president. She doesn’t have an outsize personality in a chamber bursting with them—her hobbies include making her own paper and folding origami cranes. She does pottery, too, but says she lacks the patience to use a wheel.

Yet the unassuming senator has become Democrats’ firmest pillar of resistance on judicial nominations, refusing to vote for cloture for any Trump nominee and asking every man who appears before her at a committee hearing whether he has engaged in physical or verbal sexual assault as a legal adult. Nominees “can lie,” Hirono said, explaining why she’s made that her standard question, “but they better hope that nobody that they did this to will come forward.”

“Legal adult” is the phrase Hirono used when she asked Kavanaugh the question two weeks ago. She says her wording was carefully chosen because juvenile records often remain sealed. And though Kavanaugh answered no, and the incident is alleged to have happened when he was 17, she’s not ready to write it off.

“Seventeen is not exactly a baby, either. These are serious allegations. She has a very credible story. I believe her. And now we have to do more than say, ‘Well, look at the timing!’ and ‘Well, it’s all politically motivated!’” Hirono said. “This has to be taken seriously.”

Seriously, to Hirono, means another hearing on top of the one now scheduled for Monday, when Kavanaugh and Ford are both expected to testify. In a letter put together to rebut the allegations, 65 women who knew Kavanaugh when he was in high school vouched for his character. “I think we probably need to question 65 people, ‘How well did they know him?’” Hirono said.

Trump, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Texas Sen. John Cornyn and others who doubt the Kavanaugh allegation and complain about its timing are revealing more about their own “lack of understanding of how difficult it is to come forward with a story like this,” Hirono said.

Quote:
Stopping him still seems unlikely, for all the Democratic action, she acknowledged. But that wasn’t the point of taking an aggressive posture at the Kavanaugh hearings.

“What we accomplish is letting the American people know that I framed this as part of a concerted effort on the part of the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation to pack our courts. And they’ve been doing this for decades now, preparing the way, and they now have a willing president who is going to pick names off their list,” Hirono said. “So the American public needs to know that court-packing is going on. … And I hope to enable everybody to connect the dots. That they better be voting at the state legislative level and the governorships for people who are going to provide the kind of protections that maybe they will no longer be able to expect from the Supreme Court.”

Hirono won’t criticize Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the top-ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, for sitting on the letter about the Ford allegations for weeks. She won’t criticize other Democrats for taking a more reserved approach that hews to old Senate decorum.

“I don’t bang them over the head about some of the things that I do,” Hirono said. “I figure they have to figure it out for themselves.”

Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 12:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I've been really impressed by Senator Hirono

Really?

Good Lord but that speaks volumes about you. Sadly I must say.

Her's has been the most irrational voice in this entire affair.

All men need to shut up?

How is that any different then me declaring that all women need to shut up?
camlok

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 12:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

All men need to shut up?

Evidence is anathema to you, isn't it, Finn?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 06:03 pm
If I were Kavanaugh and I was innocent of the accusations, I would want, no, I would demand an FBI investigation as well as a polygraph test. That would be the only way to clear his name. It's a big if, and he's a big lying MF!
camlok

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 07:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

All men need to shut up?

How is that any different then me declaring that all women need to shut up?

You ignorant little putz, Finn. You took her words out of context, in essence, you lied. No surprise there.

"the Hawaii Democrat said, "Of course it helps that there are women on that committee. ... But really, guess who's perpetuating all of these kinds of actions? It's the men in this country. And I just want to say to the men in this country: Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing for a change."

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 08:37 pm
@coluber2001,
Yeah right
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 08:55 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

If I were Kavanaugh and I was innocent of the accusations, I would want, no, I would demand an FBI investigation as well as a polygraph test. That would be the only way to clear his name. It's a big if, and he's a big lying MF!

I doubt that Coluber. Doing so would be stupid. This is high stakes political game, the other side is after you. It would be stupid to give them ammunition.

Just in general if an intelligent person is accused of a crime, they keep quiet whether they are innocent or not. You don't let the prosecution have any ammo to use against you. The only sane thing to do is say nothing until your lawyer comes ... And lawyers always advise you to say as little as possible
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 09:21 pm
@maxdancona,
And if you're a victim, cold, hard silence is all you have.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 09:46 pm
@maxdancona,
Ford has nothing to gain by lying, and Kavanaugh has everything to lose by telling the truth.

roger

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 10:01 pm
@coluber2001,
I'm keeping an open mind. Neither seems overwhelmingly convincing.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 10:36 pm
@roger,
You're kidding, right? What the hell would Ford gain by lying. Nothing. And what would Kavanaugh gain by lying? Everything

Kavanaugh can clear up the whole thing by insisting on an FBI investigation, or at least taking a polygraph test. The FBI could find the truth in a couple of days. Have the FBI interrogate Mark judge while reminding him of the penalty for perjury, and he probably fold like a paper fan.
Real Music

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 11:12 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
What the hell would Ford gain by lying. Nothing. And what would Kavanaugh gain by lying? Everything

Kavanaugh can clear up the whole thing by insisting on an FBI investigation, or at least taking a polygraph test. The FBI could find the truth in a couple of days. Have the FBI interrogate Mark judge while reminding him of the penalty for perjury, and he probably fold like a paper fan.

1. You are absolutely correct.

2. I know that what you are saying is correct.

3. Each and every Senate republican know that what you are saying is correct.

4. And I do mean EVERY Senate republican. Each and every one of them.

5. The Senate republicans are scared shitless at the fact that Kavanaugh actually might be guilty of the crime he is being accused of.

6. The republicans are showing themselves to be complete scum. All of them.

roger

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 11:45 pm
@coluber2001,

coluber2001 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

Nope

coluber2001 wrote:

What the hell would Ford gain by lying.

How would I know? Great potential for several kinds of payoff. Maybe nothing. I don't know, and neither do you.

coluber2001 wrote:
Nothing. And what would Kavanaugh gain by lying? Everything.

Nothing, if he isn't lying. Again, neither you nor I know. The difference is that I know I don't know. You don't.

coluber2001 wrote:

Again, you don't know. You are believing what you want to believe, not what you think you know.

This is swell. The woman waits 35 years to make a statement. Not to law enforcement, but to a politician. Politician holds onto it till the last day of the hearing, and they both think they can dictate terms to the Senate. I couldn't, you couldn't, but she can?

Again, you are believing what you want to believe.
maporsche

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 04:08 am
@roger,
I have a feeling that dictating terms to the senate happens all the time, and it often followed.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 06:25 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Ford has nothing to gain by lying, and Kavanaugh has everything to lose by telling the truth.

That is simply untrue.

Ford's clear purpose is to stop Kavanaugh's nomination. She has a lot to gain, she can stop a conservative judge who is hated by the left from becoming a Supreme Court justice. I don't know if you have noticed... even before the Ford accusation came along there were a hell of a lot of people who wanted the Kavanaugh nomination process to be stopped at any cost.

You don't know Dr. Ford. You are making assumptions about her with very little information other than your own prejudices. There are all sorts of reasons for her to want to prevent Kavanaugh from becoming a Supreme Court justice. Of course, I don't know Dr. Ford either. That is why I am not suggesting I have any clue about what her motivations are.

For you (or I) to claim that her possible motivations prove anything is ridiculous partisan rhetoric.