Poor Kavanaugh wants to run for SC judge

maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

He's not the same poster he used to be. I used to trust what he said - didn't necessarily like it or agree, but I believed him.

Since his recent return, I've discovered I've had to fact check every post of his I'm considering responding to.

Wow! EhBeth is getting nasty.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:02 pm
@maxdancona,
ehBeth is not nasty. I've followed her for years, and she's been quite reasonable in her opinions.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's because she is part of your crowd. I am no different then you in this, I find people quite reasonable when I agree with them. That last post was personal and somewhat passive aggressive.

In this case, she is ganging up with Izzy to put down Mysteryman.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:38 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't agree to left or right politics as an Independent, because there are good and bad in both extremes. I like to choose my own poison and lean somewhat liberal as a fiscal conservative.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:38 pm
@maxdancona,
It's nothing to do with part of your imaginary crowd. Beth provided a source that proved MM had been lying. That's something I expect of the usual bunch of muppets but not him. In view of the above what she said was fair comment.

And you're just airing out your own persecution complex. Which incidentally has nothing to do with any in crowd and everything to do with your need to be the centre of attention. It doesn't get any less pathetic every time you do it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I don't agree to left or right politics as an Independent, because there are good and bad in both extremes. I like to choose my own poison and lean somewhat liberal as a fiscal conservative.

1. I have never seen you take anything other than a safely left of center position on anything here. If you have any opinions that challenge the liberal dogma, I would love to hear about them. Abortion, women's issues, healthcare, gun control, racial justice... I think you check the liberal box right down the list.

2. You are defending EhBeth and Izzy, not on their behavior, but on what ideological side they are on. Izzy and EhBeth are bullying MysteryMan who did nothing to deserve this other than to take the wrong ideological position.

3. This is directly related to the big picture. The ideological liberals want to stop Kavanaugh at any cost. The ideological conservatives want him confirmed. There is no one here who has any insight into what really happened, and yet everyone is so certain. This is nothing more than a political football for the partisan extremes.

4. Juanita Broadrick made a credible accusation of rape against Bill Clinton. She explained the time it happened, the place it happened and mentioned it at the time. And... it was joined with many other women accusing Clinton of sexual assault.

Many liberals still deny the charges against Bill Clinton. Ideological tribalism is far more important than truth.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:07 pm
@maxdancona,
I agree with you in the main, however...

Quote:
The ideological conservatives want him concerned.

I assume you meant confirmed. Conservatives (ideological or otherwise) wanting Kavanaugh confirmed is not the equivalent of ideological liberal wanting to block his confirmation at all costs, as you seem to imply here.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I just fixed that before I read your post Finn... now I think I should have left it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I disagree Finn, the conservatives are being just as cynical (especially following the games played to delay Obama's last pick).
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:11 pm
@maxdancona,
How are they being cynical?

Be specific and please don't bring up Garland. It'/s irrelevant.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 03:25 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Since his recent return, I've discovered I've had to fact check every post of his I'm considering responding to.

mm has always been a rank apologist for war criminals/terrorists. He get so butt hurt finding out the truth about his country, but then a lot of USians do, like Setanta, right?

What about Setanta's posts, do you fact check each of those?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 05:16 pm
In 1991, The Senate Judiciary Committee pushed for the FBI
to investigate Anita Hill's claims against Clarence Thomas.

But now, Chairman Grassley is refusing the request by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford
for an independent FBI investigation into her allegation against Brett Kavanaugh.

Published Sep 19, 2018
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 05:23 pm
@Real Music,
Everybody has to vote BLUE in November. We need some common sense in our government.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 05:23 pm
@Real Music,
Saying that there is no deadline for a committee confirmation is partisan bullshit. Both sides know there is a very big deadline in November.

This is a partisan political game. These self-righteous proclamations from partisans are a little ridiculous.

The obvious strategy of the Democrats is to drag the nomination process past November.
camlok

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 05:29 pm
@maxdancona,
max describes what I have been saying for forever. It is now and has always been a total clusterfuck to make the people/sheeple think they are participating in their US "governments".

You've been played, badly, but it has always been enough to fool y'all, for 24o some years.

You suck up the propaganda like you do a slurpee on a scorching hot CA, TX, AZ, ... day.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 05:45 pm
@camlok,
What I am describing is Representative Democracy. It is a system of government where Trump supporters have the same voice as Bernie supporters or Warren supporters, and the winners get to pick judges.

Yes representative democracy is messy, but I haven't seen any better system of government (other than a Maxist* dictatorship)

*No, that doesn't say Marxist.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 06:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Common sense? Like what the Dems have displayed in these hearings?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 08:43 pm
Top Grassley Staffer Gives Away the GOP's Endgame:
'Unfazed and Determined' to Confirm Kavanaugh — Despite Allegations.

Published September 20, 2018
Quote:
There's new evidence for those arguing that Sen. Chuck Grassley, the Republican Senator from Iowa who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, is being wholly disingenuous about his desire to get to the bottom of the sexual assault accusation by Christine Blasey Ford against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, and it comes in the form of public statements made by one of his top staffers on the committee who said plainly overnight that the goal of the current process is not to get to the truth of the matter, but to make sure Trump's right-wing nominee is confirmed regardless of the credible allegations.

"Unfazed and determined. We will confirm Judge Kavanaugh," tweeted Mike Davis, who serves Grassley as the Chief Counsel for Nominations for the SJC, just after 11 PM on Wednesday.

Hours later, betraying any of the public-facing sympathy that GOP lawmakers on the committee have tried to project regarding Ford, Davis said that while he "personally questioned Judge Kavanaugh under penalty of felony and 5 years of imprisonment, if he lies," he was frustrated that he had yet to hear back from Ford's attorneys who, he said derisively, "can't find time between TV appearances to get back to me."

As Adam Jentleson, former deputy chief of staff to retired Democratic senator Harry Reid, pointed out in reaction to Davis' pronouncements, "Grassley and his staff are not making a good faith effort to get the facts - they're on a mission to confirm their boy, no matter what."

Not only do the comments reveal open hostility towards Ford, Jentleson argued, they also bolster the complaint by many critics who say the entire process has been a bad-faith effort by Republicans.

"Here is Grassley’s Chief Counsel attacking Ford's camp and confirming he’s the one who questioned Kavanaugh, presumably hours before cheerleading for him on Twitter," he added. "Grassley's process is a sham but I didn't expect them to broadcast it so openly."

Due process! They scream, while literally refusing to engage in the PROCESS of investigation into the claim. I will spontaneously combust before this is over*
— Rebecca Traister (@rtraister) September 19, 2018

Meanwhile, Ford's attorneys have made it crystal clear what they want. In a letter sent to the committee, they called for a "full investigation by law enforcement officials" to "ensure that the crucial facts and witnesses in this matter are assessed in a non-partisan manner, and that the committee is fully informed before conducting any hearing or making any decisions."

That both the White House and the GOP-controlled SJC have refused that simple and common-sense request, say critics, reveals something profound about the charade now being orchestrated by Grassley and the party's political machine.

As Charles Blow writes in the New York Times on Thursday:

What are Republicans hiding about Kavanaugh? What don’t they want you to know? There is absolutely no rush here, no timeline that must be adhered to, no deadline that must be met.

We are talking about a lifetime appointment here, and if Blasey is telling the truth and Kavanaugh has lied, there is absolutely no way he should be confirmed.

And as Esquire's Charlies P. Pierce wrote on Wednesday, the Republicans are "not interested in a legitimate probe into what Brett Kavanaugh may have done to Christine Blasey Ford," but that are pushing the process forward to get "a quick and dirty he said-she said proceeding that they all can pretend is an actual inquiry."

https://www.alternet.org/top-grassley-staffer-gives-away-gops-endgame-unfazed-and-determined-confirm-kavanaugh-despite
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 12:38 am
Kavanaugh accuser's offer to testify puts key Republicans in a bind.

Published September 20, 2018
Quote:
WASHINGTON — After days of silence about whether she would appear, California professor Christine Blasey Ford told the Senate Judiciary Committee Thursday that she is willing to testify next week about her allegations of a decades-old sexual assault by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

The offer, made in a letter from her attorney to the committee, could put plans to arrange the high-stakes public hearing back on track, though it came with some unspecified conditions that GOP senators may not accept. For one, she ruled out a hearing on Monday, when Republicans have scheduled the proceeding.

Her letter in effect kicked the ball back into Republicans' court. Publicly, GOP lawmakers have grumbled in recent days that Ford had failed to respond to their invitation to appear Monday, but privately many worried she might accept. A public hearing could make Kavanaugh's confirmation — already in question — more difficult, particularly if Ford's story is credible and compelling.

Now Republican leaders will have to decide whether to give Ford a few more days, or stick to their demand that the hearing take place on Monday. Late Thursday, Sen. Charles E. Grassley, R-Iowa, the Judiciary Committee chairman, said that his staff had discussed the issue with Ford's attorney earlier in the day and that he would consult with his fellow committee members about the next move.

Ford's offer also increased the pressure on several key moderates — particularly GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska — whose votes will probably be needed to put Kavanaugh on the high court. Both were already facing heavy pressure from abortion rights groups concerned that Kavanaugh, a staunch conservative and longtime GOP attorney, might vote to restrict access to abortion. The sexual assault allegation, which the nominee has denied, has upended his seemingly sure-bet confirmation and only increased the stakes for the key lawmakers.

Ford, who says the attack took place when she and Kavanaugh were in high school in the early 1980s, said she would only testify under terms that ensure her safety and "are fair." She did not specify what "fair" would require, leaving open the possibility that talks could reach a stalemate.

"As you are aware, she has been receiving death threats, which have been reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and she and her family have been forced out of their home," Ford's attorney Debra Katz wrote. "She wishes to testify, provided that we can agree on terms that are fair and which ensure her safety. A hearing on Monday is not possible and the committee's insistence that it occur then is arbitrary in any event."

Senators scheduled the Monday hearing without consulting Ford.

Invoking security concerns will make it hard for the committee to reject Ford's request to delay the hearing a few days, said John Hudak, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution think tank.

"That is a reasonable accommodation that if Republicans are unwilling to make, they are going to be dragged through the mud," Hudak said.

In a separate letter Thursday, Kavanaugh seemed to urge the committee to stick with Monday's hearing, saying he had hoped to have it even earlier.

"I continue to want a hearing as soon as possible, so that I can clear my name," Kavanaugh wrote. "Since the moment I first heard this allegation, I have categorically and unequivocally denied it. I remain committed to defending my integrity."

Neither Collins nor Murkowski — whose views other GOP senators will be watching closely — reacted immediately to Ford's latest offer. Earlier in the week Collins joined other GOP lawmakers in urging Ford to testify Monday, either privately or publicly. Collins also drew fire from liberal groups for saying it was "not fair" to Kavanaugh if Ford did not testify.

In some previous allegations of sexual misconduct, both senators have sided with the accusers, condemning then-Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore and then-candidate Donald Trump, when an "Access Hollywood" video surfaced of him talking about grabbing women by their genitals as he wished.

Collins and Murkowski have said the allegations against Kavanaugh need to be taken seriously, but they've also indicated they need more information before deciding how to vote.

They are considered swing votes on Kavanaugh because they both support abortion rights. Democrats have made the future of the landmark Roe vs. Wade decision a key part of their opposition to the nominee. Also, Collins and Murkowski have been willing to buck their party on key issues, such as their opposition to Republicans' efforts last year to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

Demand Justice, a liberal judicial advocacy group, plans to launch television ads in Alaska and Maine on Friday featuring a female narrator reciting Ford's allegation that Kavanaugh, while groping her, covered her mouth to muffle her shouts for help. The ad closes by asking whether the GOP senators will "listen to her now."

The ad is also set to run in Nevada to target Republican Sen. Dean Heller, who is facing a difficult re-election this fall, and in Colorado, where Republican Sen. Cory Gardner is likely to face a tough re-election in 2020.

NARAL Pro-Choice America, an abortion rights group, threatened to fight against Collins' 2020 re-election if she votes for Kavanaugh. "She will never again be able to claim the mantle of an ally to women or survivors, and that is not something that women will ever forget," said Ilyse Hogue, the group's president.

Activists have raised more than $1 million to give to Collins' 2020 opponent if she votes for Kavanaugh, a move that the Maine Republican likened to an illegal political bribe.

Murkowski came under pressure to oppose Kavanaugh in her home state Thursday when Alaska Gov. Bill Walker and Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott, both independents, announced that they oppose the nominee.

Collins and Murkowski are generally the two most moderate Republicans in a Senate conference that largely votes together. They are also two of just six female GOP senators.

Pressure has been building on Collins and Murkowski to vote no for weeks, with a flood of phone calls and emails and protesters outside their offices.

But even opponents of Kavanaugh said it was unfair to put added pressure on the two senators because of their gender.

Planned Parenthood Federation of America Political Communications Director Erica Sackin said that Collins and Murkowski are getting pressure because they are vocal supporters of women's rights, but that "they are definitely not our only focus. ... We are targeting members of the committee. Really we've been targeting all senators."

Sen. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, declined to comment specifically on Collins and Murkowski, saying the pressure should be placed on all senators, "but particularly the Republicans in the Senate Judiciary Committee."

During a news conference Thursday to voice support for Ford, Hirono also predicted Republicans' treatment of the professor could backfire in the midterm election if voters think she is being mistreated.

"I hope the women of America — as well as the men, by the way, because why should it just be the women who care about fair treatment? It's men. It's all of America," she said. "I think there's a lot more attention being paid to how this whole thing is being handled."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kavanaugh-accusers-offer-to-testify-puts-key-republicans-in-a-bind/ar-AAApZw9?ocid=UE13DHP
maporsche

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 06:34 am
Guess she'll testify; cries of "it's not fair" can stop now.