Poor Kavanaugh wants to run for SC judge

oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 06:35 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
The problem with these types of arguments about how people in the 90’s weren’t hard enough on the Clintons is that it means almost nothing to anyone under 40 years old.
If they are Democrats, what it means to them is no one is going to take them seriously if they attempt to complain about wrongdoing in opposing politicians.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 11:17 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
So the delay in the leak was not intended to protect her privacy.
Really? You are saying that Prof. Ford told her Democratic representative months previous that "I'll just say that I didn't want my identity revealed and that caused a delay"? Where's your proof? Or is this just another example of the Republican reflex of "arguing by unproven accusation"?

I gave you two examples of women who killed themselves because of what happened when they reported their rapes to the authorities. I notice you dare not discuss them.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
If the leaker wanted an investigation, then the leaker should have leaked the information back when there was time to do an investigation.
Utter nonsense. There was PLENTY of time to do an investigation. Delaying an investigation for a few weeks to find out if it is likely Kavanaugh physically mounted Ms. Ford in high school and attempted to rape her while his confederate pinned her arms to the bed until she managed to push him off was the only sane and moral choice. Especially since Ms. Ford tried to get an investigation started months before the Senate hearings, asking only that he identity be protected.

Once again, publicly coming forward to describe your rape is not only agonizing, it is dangerous for the individual. Since you seem to have mentally blocked out the examples of the women who committed suicide as a result of reporting their rape that I posted before, here is another example:

Quote:
For most of 2010, Missouri swimmer Sasha Menu Courey harbored a secret: She believed she'd been raped by a football player. Late that year, her life spiraling downward, Menu Courey began to share her secret with others, including a rape crisis counselor and a campus therapist, records show. In the ensuing months, a campus nurse, two doctors and, according to her journal, an athletic department administrator also learned of her claim that she had been assaulted......

....In February 2010, after a night of drinking, Menu Courey and a male friend returned to his apartment where they had consensual sex. Documents obtained by "Outside the Lines" and interviews show differing accounts of the details of what happened next. But it's clear she believed she was raped by at least one assailant, allegedly a football player.

Menu Courey described what happened to a rape crisis counselor in an online chat. A verbatim excerpt:

"[We] were falling asleep & then i heard the [door] open & some other guy walked in & locked the door & i couldnt really see who it was & i never saw a face the whole time.... but i remember just sitting upright in bed at the sound of someone walking in. & i just remember feeling really scared thinking that the two guys had planned this or something. so my first thought was figure out who this other person was in case so that if i needed the informaton i would have it later... the guy told me his name & then he pulled down his pants & put on a condom & just knew i was screwed ..."

Menu Courey went on to describe the assault in detail, mentioning that she tried to reach a friend and former boyfriend on the phone during the assault:

"... I started to panick & as i still on the phone trying to reach one of them tears start going down & the guy just lift up my dress & next thing i knew he inserts from behind. by that point tears were falling more but i wasnt loud & didnt anything. and then i just snapped and kind pushed him away & yelled no! and then he just left."

The basics of Menu Courey's account are supported by a former Missouri football receiver, who alleges that more than one of his teammates raped her that night. Rolandis Woodland, a receiver with the Tigers from 2008-12 and a friend of Menu Courey's, was not at the scene but said the morning after the incident she was distraught and crying, confiding to him that something bad had happened to her without saying exactly what.

Later, after she died, he said he saw a videotape of three players in a dark room assaulting her in a drunken state.

"You could see her saying 'No, no,' hysterically crying," Woodland, who had dated Menu Courey briefly, told "Outside the Lines." "She uses the name of [redacted player] when she tells him to get off of her, and he says, 'It's only me.' They dim the lights and you could see them switching [assaulting] her but you cannot see who was switching because the lights were dimmed. About three minutes into the tape, she pushed whoever was on her off of her and ran out of the room."

Woodland said he believes Menu Courey didn't realize, because she was intoxicated, that multiple players took part. The video was sent to him, he said, by Menu Courey, who mailed the package just before she killed herself in June 2011. He said Menu Courey had told him she received the tape from a former girlfriend of one of the players. Woodland said the tape was inadvertently misplaced by one of his family members, and he has been unable to find it.
...Source

Republicans would not have put on the show of indifference to Prof. Ford if they did not have complete confidence that the women in the electorate will not hold them accountable. They didn't hold the Republicans accountable when they voted against the Violence Against Women Act, and it is clear that Republicans don't think they will hold them accountable again. And the Republicans will keep doing this until they get hurt in the elections by it, and not before.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 07:45 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
oralloy wrote:
So the delay in the leak was not intended to protect her privacy.
Really?
Yes.

Blickers wrote:
You are saying that Prof. Ford told her Democratic representative months previous that "I'll just say that I didn't want my identity revealed and that caused a delay"?
No. I am saying that the Democrats chose to delay the leak solely in order to cause a pointless delay in the confirmation.

Blickers wrote:
Where's your proof? Or is this just another example of the Republican reflex of "arguing by unproven accusation"?
The proof is the way the Democrats delayed the leak until the last second.

Blickers wrote:
I gave you two examples of women who killed themselves because of what happened when they reported their rapes to the authorities. I notice you dare not discuss them.
I'm not sure what there is to discuss about them. People have the right to carry guns so they can defend themselves against attackers. I encourage them to do so.

Blickers wrote:
Utter nonsense. There was PLENTY of time to do an investigation.
When the Democrats finally leaked this, the investigations had all been completed, people had made their closing arguments, and everyone was just about to cast their votes.

Blickers wrote:
Delaying an investigation for a few weeks to find out if it is likely Kavanaugh physically mounted Ms. Ford in high school and attempted to rape her while his confederate pinned her arms to the bed until she managed to push him off was the only sane and moral choice. Especially since Ms. Ford tried to get an investigation started months before the Senate hearings, asking only that he identity be protected.
Why should the Republicans allow the Democrats to cause pointless delays with their dirty tricks?

If the Democrats had truly wanted this to be investigated, then they shouldn't have delayed the leak.

Blickers wrote:
Once again, publicly coming forward to describe your rape is not only agonizing, it is dangerous for the individual. Since you seem to have mentally blocked out the examples of the women who committed suicide as a result of reporting their rape that I posted before, here is another example:
These examples do not justify the Democrats delaying the leak and then springing it at the last second.

Blickers wrote:
Republicans would not have put on the show of indifference to Prof. Ford if they did not have complete confidence that the women in the electorate will not hold them accountable. They didn't hold the Republicans accountable when they voted against the Violence Against Women Act, and it is clear that Republicans don't think they will hold them accountable again. And the Republicans will keep doing this until they get hurt in the elections by it, and not before.
The Republicans have done nothing wrong that they would need to be held accountable for.
Blickers

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 01:02 am
@oralloy,
Quote Oralloy:
Quote:
No. I am saying that the Democrats chose to delay the leak solely in order to cause a pointless delay in the confirmation.
You cannot prove that. And once Prof. Ford showed herself as being a credible witness, which she certainly did, justice demanded that the FBI spend a few weeks looking into it, including all witnesses of interest.

What you are saying is your suspicion that Prof. Ford is more interested in causing a few weeks delay in the confirmation than in trying to save herself from a traumatic recounting of a vicious attempted rape by the Supreme Court nominee is more important than finding out if what she says is true or not. Yet I have shown that women have committed suicide because of their experiences retelling their rapes in public. All you have to say to that is the raped women should have carried a gun.

You and the other Republicans are going out of your way to trivialize the events of rape or attempted rape. It is amazing the Republicans' misogyny has not been held against them by female voters. This past election is indicating that women might be changing in that regard.

Misogyny is a plank of the Republican Party.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 11:38 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
You cannot prove that.
It is proved by the fact that the leak was delayed until the last second.

Blickers wrote:
And once Prof. Ford showed herself as being a credible witness, which she certainly did, justice demanded that the FBI spend a few weeks looking into it, including all witnesses of interest.
If the Democrats wanted an investigation, they shouldn't have waited until the last second to leak it.

Blickers wrote:
What you are saying is your suspicion that Prof. Ford is more interested in causing a few weeks delay in the confirmation than in trying to save herself from a traumatic recounting of a vicious attempted rape by the Supreme Court nominee is more important than finding out if what she says is true or not.
I haven't given any thought to her motivations. I am saying that the Democrats only cared about delaying the confirmation and did not care about sparing her.

But yes, the fact that this was only meant to cause a pointless delay is the most important factor here.

Blickers wrote:
Yet I have shown that women have committed suicide because of their experiences retelling their rapes in public. All you have to say to that is the raped women should have carried a gun.
Being able to defend yourself is a big help when someone attacks you.

Blickers wrote:
You and the other Republicans
I have not switched parties.

Blickers wrote:
are going out of your way to trivialize the events of rape or attempted rape.
The Democrats trivialized it when they used it as a stunt to try to delay the confirmation.

Blickers wrote:
It is amazing the Republicans' misogyny has not been held against them by female voters. This past election is indicating that women might be changing in that regard.
Misogyny is a plank of the Republican Party.
Dismissing feminist hysteria is hardly misogyny.
Blickers

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 11:15 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
It is proved by the fact that the leak was delayed until the last second.
No, it was not. The facts indicate that the identity of the victim being known was delayed by her desire not to come forward publicly, certainly understandable considering that coming forward for a rape victim is so painful that many commit suicide after doing it.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
If the Democrats wanted an investigation, they shouldn't have waited until the last second to leak it.
The lady wanted an investigation months before, but wanted the investigation to not require her to step forward publicly, a path so painful numerous women have killed themselves as a result of it. To everyone but conservatives out to ram their nominee through, avoiding suicide would be considered a reasonable thing to attempt. The fact that you flippantly dismiss what Prof Ford was trying to do merely points out how unaffected conservatives are by the issues women face.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
I haven't given any thought to her motivations.
Of course not. To give consideration to a woman who thinks the world should know what the Supreme Court nominee is capable of while trying to avoid the pain of coming forward with a detailed public telling of the story would require the FBI to follow up on the leads Prof Ford provided and the testimony others came forward with. Doing such a thing might mean they are allowing a woman from out of nowhere to derail the conservatives' political plan, and by their way of thinking is out of the question.

Oralloy:
Quote:
Being able to defend yourself is a big help when someone attacks you.
It is conservative thinking to blame the woman for rapes or attempted rapes, and your comment here is right in line with that. It's not whether the guy did it or not, it's what was she wearing, what was she doing in that part of town that time of night, or in your particular version, why wasn't she packing heat so she could blast Kavanagh's head off? See, it's her fault.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Dismissing feminist hysteria is hardly misogyny.
And to conservatives, a woman wanting an investigation into a Supreme Court nominee who tried to force himself upon her with the help of a confederate pinning her arms without having to publicly reveal herself counts as female hysteria.

Misogyny remains a plank of the Republican Party.
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 12:39 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
No, it was not. The facts indicate that the identity of the victim being known was delayed by her desire not to come forward publicly, certainly understandable considering that coming forward for a rape victim is so painful that many commit suicide after doing it.
Deliberately leaking her name is not compatible with a supposed desire to protect her privacy.

Blickers wrote:
The lady wanted an investigation months before, but wanted the investigation to not require her to step forward publicly, a path so painful numerous women have killed themselves as a result of it. To everyone but conservatives out to ram their nominee through, avoiding suicide would be considered a reasonable thing to attempt. The fact that you flippantly dismiss what Prof Ford was trying to do merely points out how unaffected conservatives are by the issues women face.
The Democrats had no interest in avoiding her suicide either. Otherwise they would not have leaked her name.

Blickers wrote:
Of course not. To give consideration to a woman who thinks the world should know what the Supreme Court nominee is capable of while trying to avoid the pain of coming forward with a detailed public telling of the story would require the FBI to follow up on the leads Prof Ford provided and the testimony others came forward with. Doing such a thing might mean they are allowing a woman from out of nowhere to derail the conservatives' political plan, and by their way of thinking is out of the question.
"Not caring what her motivations are" is completely different from "not considering her story".

But if the Democrats had wanted her story to be considered, they shouldn't have waited until the last second to leak it.

Blickers wrote:
It is conservative thinking to blame the woman for rapes or attempted rapes,
No it isn't.

Blickers wrote:
and your comment here is right in line with that. It's not whether the guy did it or not, it's what was she wearing, what was she doing in that part of town that time of night, or in your particular version, why wasn't she packing heat so she could blast Kavanagh's head off? See, it's her fault.
Advising that people protect themselves is hardly blaming them for being attacked.

Blickers wrote:
And to conservatives, a woman wanting an investigation into a Supreme Court nominee who tried to force himself upon her with the help of a confederate pinning her arms without having to publicly reveal herself counts as female hysteria.
Did you hear some of those outbursts? It was incredible. If someone yelled in my face like that I'd break out the pepper spray.

Blickers wrote:
Misogyny remains a plank of the Republican Party.
All they do is dismiss feminist hysteria. That's not misogyny.
Blickers

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 02:59 am
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Did you hear some of those outbursts? It was incredible. If someone yelled in my face like that I'd break out the pepper spray.

No doubt after you told the rape victims that they should have been packing heat so they didn't get raped. Then you'd give it to them with pepper spray.

Misogyny is a platform of the Republican Party.
0 Replies