Poor Kavanaugh wants to run for SC judge

Blickers

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2018 11:24 pm
@roger,
I agree. And it's not like Avenatti isn't able to take his case to the public, he's been all over TV for months. Which probably has to do with all the bad mouthing of Avenatti we've been hearing lately from the Administration.

Don't know if they are trying to make Avenatti look bad or they genuinely fear the info Avenatti's client, Julie Swetnick, can reveal.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 12:47 am
@glitterbag,
I didn't need you or Beth or anyone else to tell me that Max made my flesh creep. His posts did that. All his bollocks about an in crowd is just his way of avoiding the fact that he creeps people out.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 12:53 am
@izzythepush,
I'm just confused.....I thought this was about Kavanaugh's fitness for office.....is it really about Max???? If it's about Max, I'll go elsewhere. Hey everybody, brewskis are on me, meet me at (who is hosting the in-crowd party tonight?)
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 05:10 am
@glitterbag,
I think Ehbeth should host. The fall colors should be pretty much on full display. I'll bring some smooth bourbon.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 06:11 am
@InfraBlue,
The press covers for the big Dems—like they covered for the DNC cheating Bernie and like they helped Clinton raise Trump to the front runner among Republicans.

They’d do what they did in the 90s—berate and belittle the accusers in the media.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 09:25 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I'm just confused.....I thought this was about Kavanaugh's fitness for office.....is it really about Max???? If it's about Max, I'll go elsewhere. Hey everybody, brewskis are on me, meet me at (who is hosting the in-crowd party tonight?)

Everyone else, including me, has moved on. Are you getting enough fiber, Glitterbag?

The ICS is at 5 (meaning that there are 5 people who are cheering off-topic personal attacks.)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 10:51 am
Kavanaugh Hearing Cold Open - SNL
Saturday Night Live Very Happy

Judge Brett Kavanaugh (Matt Damon) takes questions from Senators Chuck Grassley (Alex Moffat),
Dianne Feinstein (Cecily Strong), Amy Klobuchar (Rachel Dratch), Thom Tillis (Mikey Day), Cory Booker
(Chris Redd), John Kennedy (Kyle Mooney), Sheldon Whitehouse (Pete Davidson), Lindsey Graham (Kate
McKinnon) and prosecutor Rachel Mitchell (Aidy Bryant).

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 10:20 pm
@maporsche,
More on 80's rape culture.

The rape culture of the 1980s, explained by Sixteen Candles
The beloved romantic comedy’s date rape scene provides important context for the Brett Kavanaugh accusations.
Quote:
The cultural understanding of rape in the 1980s was fundamentally different from how we understand it today

In the 1980s, “rape” meant an attack from a stranger in a dark alley, not something that acquaintances did to each other at house parties where everyone knows each other. In 1982, it would have been difficult for women like Swetnick and Christine Blasey Ford to find the language to describe what had happened to them.

Sixteen Candles’ Jake Ryan is the dream boy of the 1980s. He’s also an accessory to date rape.

The ’80s were a decade of film comedy hugely informed by the recent success of 1978’s Animal House, which features a rape fantasy scene filmed in what critic Emily Nussbaum describes as “the perviest possible way.”

It was the decade that gave us Revenge of the Nerds, which, as Noah Brand put it at the Good Men Project, “has so much rape culture, you could use it to make rape yogurt”; it gave us Police Academy and its “nonconsensual blowjobs are a fun and light-hearted prank” ethos. And perhaps most disturbingly, it gave us the comedic rape subplot in Sixteen Candles, John Hughes’s much beloved and iconic 1984 teen romance.

“Jake stands the test of time,” wrote Hank Stuever in the Washington Post in 2004. He quotes a 34-year-old woman who grew up on Jake Ryan: “Oh, gosh, Jake Ryan. Just thinking about it now, I get … kind of … It’s all just too good to be true.”

Jake Ryan’s reputation as the ideal dream boy of every teenage girl’s deepest fantasies has lasted for decades. Jake, writes Stuever, “is Christ, redeeming the evil sins of high school. Jake as the ideal. Jake as the eternal belief in something better.”

Yet Jake Ryan cold-bloodedly hands a drunk and unconscious Caroline over to another guy and says, “Have fun.”

In 1984, you could be a perfect dream boy and also be an accessory to date rape. They were not mutually exclusive ideas. In fact, they reinforced each other.

In Sixteen Candles, Caroline’s rape is presented as her fault — and as funny
In the moral universe of Sixteen Candles, Jake is allowed to be callous to Caroline without losing his dream boy status because, Sixteen Candles briskly assures us, Caroline is not the right kind of girl. She has breasts, and she drinks. She’s potentially a little bit slutty. “She doesn’t know **** about love,” Jake explains. “The only thing she cares about is partying.”

more...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 08:31 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
If he lied to the Senate about that, then not only doesn't he not go to the Supreme Court, he could end up going to the hoosegow instead for lying under oath to the Senate.
If he lied (note that an erroneous statement given with honest intent is not a lie), the Senate could still choose to confirm him to the Supreme Court. After all, they gave Bill Clinton a pass.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 08:32 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
oralloy wrote:
maporsche wrote:
What’s this have to do with Kavanaugh or his desire to run for the SC?
Kavanaugh gets to be judged by the same standard that the Democrats used for Bill Clinton.
Absolutely not. That would be unconstitutional.
You wouldn't want the Senate to violate the Constitution, would you?
What part of the Constitution would be violated by giving Kavanaugh the same pass that the Democrats gave to Bill Clinton?
oralloy

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 08:33 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Being compared to you is one of the worst insults that can be thrown at a poster.
My extreme intelligence and morality make me a pretty good person as far as humanity goes.

izzythepush wrote:
It's because you have no concept of what facts are, you seem to think they're whatever your fevered brain cell can conjure up.
You talk pretty big for someone who has never been able to find a single error that I've ever made.

izzythepush wrote:
You make ludicrous pronouncements all the time which you're incapable of backing up. Whenever you're challenged you come up with a load of moronic drivel about being a gabrillion times smarter than anyone else which is patently untrue.
That's a lie. I always provide cites to back up my claims when people request them.

izzythepush wrote:
If you were capable of learning anything you'd ask yourself why you're held in such low regard that you've become an insult, and actually try posting something that isn't laughably inane. But you're not, you're going to keep spouting your same repetitive drivel and wonder why nobody takes you seriously.
The only people who hold me in low regard are people who dislike hearing facts and dislike me for always telling the truth.

izzythepush wrote:
You're a joke, and not a very good one at that.
As I said, people who don't like facts, don't like me.
oralloy

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 08:34 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
White House limits scope of the FBI's investigation into the allegations against Brett Kavanaugh
It's pretty outrageous that there is an investigation at all. It is only natural that they are making this as brief as possible.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 08:36 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
An odd way to conduct an investigation.
If they wanted a real investigation, they should have done so earlier, instead of springing this at the last moment. This "investigation" is just a scam to prevent Kavanaugh from being seated at the beginning of the new term.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 10:17 am

https://i.imgur.com/w65hxVp.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 10:33 am
@oralloy,
Like I said you're incapable of learning. People do like facts, you don't know what facts are. Most of the bullshit you spout is entirely devoid of facts. A smart person would know that.
Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 06:28 pm
Kavanaugh would not be confirmed
if FBI probe shows he lied to Senate committee,
Jeff Flake says.

Published October 1, 2018

Quote:
Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) said he “couldn’t move forward without hitting the pause button” on Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court and, therefore, insisted on an FBI investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against the nominee.

Asked later in the “60 Minutes” interview whether the nomination would end if the probe shows that Kavanaugh had not been truthful in his testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee, Flake said as he nodded:

“Oh, yes.”

Kavanaugh, a 53-year-old federal appellate court judge, has unequivocally denied allegations that as a teenager in high school, he tried to sexually assault a 15-year-old during a house party in Maryland in the 1980s. The allegations by Christine Blasey Ford, now a 51-year-old psychology professor from California, have not been corroborated by witnesses she said were present at the party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/10/01/kavanaugh-would-not-be-confirmed-if-fbi-probe-shows-he-lied-senate-committee-jeff-flake-says/?utm_term=.af7905d34fa9
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 06:52 pm
Flake vows to vote 'no' if Supreme Court nominee lied.

Associated Press Monday, October 01, 2018

Quote:
MANCHESTER, N.H. — The Republican senator who suddenly sits at the center of the explosive Supreme Court debate promised Monday to oppose President Donald Trump's nominee should an ongoing federal investigation determine he lied under oath.

Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake, who holds extraordinary leverage in the confirmation process, addressed Judge Brett Kavanaugh's future directly as he trekked across New England while exploring a possible run for president. Asked what would cause him to vote "no" on Kavanaugh, Flake pointed to "any evidence that corroborates" his accuser's story.

"Any nominee that lies to the committee, that is disqualifying," Flake told reporters after delivering a speech in New Hampshire, the state that hosts the nation's first presidential primary election.

During a Boston appearance earlier in the day, Flake also vowed to ensure the FBI conducts "a real investigation" into the allegations against Kavanaugh. "It does us no good to have an investigation that just gives us more cover," he said at the Forbes Under 30 Summit.

Flake's comments came as the White House insisted it's not "micromanaging" a one-week review of decades-old allegations of sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh. Some Democratic lawmakers claimed the White House was keeping investigators from interviewing certain witnesses.

Monday marked Flake's second New Hampshire visit this year. The 55-year-old soft-spoken Republican, who is retiring from the Senate at the end of the year, is a reluctant presidential prospect at best. During a spring visit to the state, he declared his interest in a possible 2020 presidential bid — as a Republican or an independent — if no other Republican were to step up to challenge Trump.

Three days ago, the Republican senator single-handedly delayed Kavanaugh's confirmation proceedings by insisting on an FBI investigation as a condition for his support. The GOP's razor-thin majority in the Senate, 51-49, lent power to his demand.

Liberal protesters in Boston and New Hampshire pleaded with Flake to block Kavanaugh's nomination.

At a rally that drew hundreds to Boston City Hall, New York congressional candidate Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez warned Flake and other elected leaders that voters would end their careers should they support Trump's Supreme Court nominee.

"We are going to keep pushing because justice in America is not just about protecting the powerful," Ocasio-Cortez said. "It is about uplifting the voices that have been victimized."

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh offered a direct message to the Republican senator from Arizona. "I guess I want to say, 'Thank you,'" Walsh said. "But that's your job. That's your job to vet the nominee."

Should he oppose Trump in 2020, Flake is unlikely to win much support from New Hampshire Republicans, said Republican strategist Joel Maiola.

"In the climate we've got today it's going to be hard for someone like Jeff Flake to get any kind of momentum," he said. "I think it's a very conservative party right now."

While Flake is a self-described "proud conservative and lifelong Republican," his impending retirement has freed him to condemn the political climate in Trump's GOP.

Facing New Hampshire voters at Saint Anselm College, Flake repeatedly condemned the rise of "tribalism" shaping the Supreme Court debate and U.S. politics.

"My message here today is tribalism is ruining us. It is tearing our country apart. It is no way for sane adults to act," Flake declared.

"I've been failing my tribe for some time now," he continued. "I hope to continue to fail my tribe."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2018/10/flake_vows_to_vote_no_if_supreme_court_nominee_lied
Lash

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 07:57 pm
@Real Music,
Nobody knows for certain.
Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 08:50 pm
@Lash,
He may get confirm. He may not.
At this point, it is very difficult to make a prediction.
Blickers

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 09:17 pm
@Real Music,
My prediction is that Kavanaugh's already history.

Trump selected Kavanaugh because his anti-Roe v Wade views are a payoff to the evengelicals to forget Trump's scandalous sexual romps in the past and because Kavanaugh believes that Presidents shouldn't have to be bothered with prosecutions while in office. However, the more emerges about the 80s frat boy in high school and college the more women will be energized to turn out and vote. Kavanaugh's reached the point that his confirmation might be worse for Trump than better.