The In-Crowd score... a metric for threads

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2018 04:02 pm
Certain threads on certain topics attract the in-crowd. For anyone not in the know, the "in-crowd" is my affectionate name for a group of ideologically similar people (political liberal) who attack anyone who questions their opinions. The are a significant group of people on this site.

I have noticed on certain topics... an unprovoked personal attack will gain a large number of up thumbs. Attacking someone with a unpopular opinion gains applause.

The in-crowd score of a thread is the highest number of upthumbs on an unprovoked personal attack. This isn't a perfect metric of course... but it is an interesting one. I have seen in-crowd scores as high as 8 (meaning at least 7 people approve of the given personal attack). They seem to love personal attacks.

How high have you seen?

Sturgis

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 03:53 pm
@maxdancona,
I once got 23 up thumbs. I doubt it was associated with a crowd of any sort. From what I've seen happening (to me at least), the ups come from members who are in agreement or liking of what I've clicketyclacked into the rectangle response.

As to these attacks you say you've been subjected to, I have gone against the group you've cited in the past and not been thumbed down (or maybe the up thumbing was enough to counteract). I would say it may have more to do with how you present your case than about your views, ideological or other.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 04:40 pm
@Sturgis,
This metric measures "unprovoked personal attacks" by a member of the in-crowd and meets that group's approval (as demonstrated by upthumbs). The metric is measuring the fact that the group is making unprovoked personal attacks. It is not directly dependent on why they are making the personal attacks.

I am just pointing out that these attacks are being made with great applause.

I have theories on why the in-crowd is making and applauding these personal attacks. If you want to discuss the reasons I will. But they aren't the point of the ICS metric... which is that these nasty attacks are taking place and that the in-crowd seems to be quite happy with them.

I don't see you as someone who makes personal attacks... I suspect that your 23 upthumbs were for something more noble. That isn't what this metric is about.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The In-Crowd score... a metric for threads
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 11:54:14