Kids in cages; how does anyone defend this

layman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 08:53 pm
Quote:
Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer of New York signaled that no such support would be coming, saying it already was in Trump's power to keep the families together.

Of course everybody, including Schumer, KNOWS Trump can't change the law. The "power" he's talking about is Trump's supposed power to refuse to enforce the law and to NEVER, EVER, try to stop another illegal alien from coming into the country with kids in tow.

Of course Chucky-boy's ONLY concern is with what's "best for the children."

Aint that right, Max?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 09:06 pm
This lack of ability to take any responsibility by Trump and his supporters is astounding. Trump decided to pass a new policy, they called "zero tolerance" that was announced by Jeff Sessions and that directly caused this problem.

No one is willing to take responsibility for their support of this policy. Instead of having the courage to defend the policy they have...

1. Denied that there is a new policy (in spite of the fact it was announced by Sessions and signed).

2. Blamed Democrats for the fact Trump signed the policy.

3. Blamed Obama for the fact that Trump signed the new policy.

4. Blamed the ACLU.

5. Falsly claimed that the new policy is not new.

6. Said that this is designed as a deterrent.

7. Said that this was not designed as a deterrent.

I don't see anyone with the balls to say that this policy is Trump's responsibility and that they support it in spite of the fact it is causing trauma to kids.

If you are really going to support this polocy, support it honestly and man up to the fact that there are some ugly consequences.
layman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 09:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Anyone who can read, and who actually cares to review this thread, knows that you are once again lying through your rotten teeth, eh, Max. Do you actually think you're fooling anyone other than other lame cheese-eaters who refuse to deal in truth? You just can't quit, can you?

On this issue, at least, you appear to be utterly lacking in good faith, honesty, intellectual integrity, and rationality.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 09:42 pm
Trump has now devised a new simple but brilliant plan.

He will pack 200-300 surly central americans with all their bratty kids into each cell, and let them sit there for 12-15 months awaiting a hearing. As soon as they get their hearing he will deport all of them who manage to survive the fierce and bloody in-fighting which develops.

Then they will spread the news back home about how wonderful their temporary stay in the USA was, see? They won't be comin back, and their homeys aint goin. Problem solved, many billions saved. They won't be crashing our border at the rate of 50,000 a month no more.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 09:50 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
No one is willing to take responsibility for their support of this policy. Instead of having the courage to defend the policy they have...
Well, look. I'm largely ambivalent about the policy. Since I'm nominally pro-immigration, I guess I'm nominally against the policy. But really this is a big "meh" for me. Immigration just isn't something that I care much about.

I do however think that anyone who doesn't like the policy needs to produce legislation that the President can sign if they want to change it.

And if they refuse to produce legislation that the President can sign, then they shouldn't be surprised when nothing changes.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:06 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I do however think that anyone who doesn't like the policy needs to produce legislation that the President can sign if they want to change it.

This is ridiculous, Oralloy. You are making the claim that if someone refuses to negotiate with me in a way I find acceptable, they then are responsible for what I choose to do. My landlord didn't consider my request to lower my rent..that doesn't mean it is his fault that I choose to not pay my child support.

This is a policy that was enacted by the Trump administration after being announced by Sessions in April. It is Trump's choice to act this way, it is in Trump's power to rescind it.

The president of the United States should be man enough to take responsibility for his own decisions.
maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:13 pm
I say we just give Trump/Sessions a few days and he’ll end up tweeting something about this being his great idea and something that the past presidents would never have done.

He’ll end up taking full credit for this and then his supporters will deny all that they’ve said up to this point and tout the new Trump line.

That’s the thing with Trump. Give him some time and he’ll change his story.
maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:14 pm
Everything good under Trumps watch is his doing.

Everything bad under Trumps watch is someone else.
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:50 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This is a policy that was enacted by the Trump administration after being announced by Sessions in April. It is Trump's choice to act this way, it is in Trump's power to rescind it.
It sounds like the policy is going to continue as is.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:55 pm
@oralloy,
Yes. And Trump is solely responsible for the resulting political and moral consequences. This is an outrageous policy; the outrage is sincere.
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Yes. And Trump is solely responsible for the resulting political and moral consequences.
There will be no consequences.

maxdancona wrote:
This is an outrageous policy; the outrage is sincere.
Not so outrageous that you are willing to compromise to help change the policy it seems.
Below viewing threshold (view)
maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 05:56 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
Yes. And Trump is solely responsible for the resulting political and moral consequences.
There will be no consequences.

Really? No consequences? That's ridiculous... in real life things aren't this simple, there are consequences to any important decisions. If those pictures of kids being taken away from their parents by ICE agents don't do something to you, you have no heart.

You might argue that the consequences are a necessary evil, or that they are worth it.

But to say there are no consequences is ridiculous.
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:00 am
@maxdancona,
Really. No consequences.

For what it's worth, it appears that Trump is preparing to sign an executive order to send these kids to prison alongside their mothers, so maybe now you will be happy?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:07 am
@oralloy,
Yes, I am happy. That is how democracy works, Trump saw the policial coat was too high (actually I think the Republicans read him the riot act.)
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:32 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I say we just give Trump/Sessions a few days and he’ll end up tweeting something about this being his great idea and something that the past presidents would never have done.

He’ll end up taking full credit for this and then his supporters will deny all that they’ve said up to this point and tout the new Trump line.

That’s the thing with Trump. Give him some time and he’ll change his story.

That 180 degree change happened much faster than I thought it would’ve.
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:44 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
That 180 degree change happened much faster than I thought it would’ve.
Do you have details of the executive order? From the generalized descriptions that I've heard, all this is doing is jailing children alongside their mothers.

I question whether this is legal, but I guess if you guys are happy with this result, and if some judge orders that children not be jailed alongside their mothers, you guys could start protesting the judge.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:46 am
@oralloy,
Having kids detained with their parents in a humane space is far less cruel than what has been happening. There are plenty of other options including ankle monitoring.

Almost anything is better.

You seem to think that protecting children from cruelty is less important than preventing an immigrant from missing a court date. Apparently most Americans disagree.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:53 am
@maporsche,
I suspect that Trump is going to find another way to **** this up. He will end up bending over for his extremist base again while hurting the chances of his own party.
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 12:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Having kids detained with their parents in a humane space is far less cruel than what has been happening.
If you say so.

Will you be happier yet if we start making kids go to prison alongside their mothers when their mothers are serving a long prison sentence?
0 Replies