Kids in cages; how does anyone defend this

layman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:26 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Exactly what do you think one should for forced to "sacrifice" to end this "zero tolerance policy" that Trump enacted?
To solve a problem, you have to go to its root.

Outlaw the ACLU!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:27 pm
@oralloy,
Trump is not the victim here. He has all the power of the presidency and he is responsible for this zero tolerance policy that is at the root of this outrage.

The way you keep politicians in check is by holding them accountable. If a president does things that are condemnable, he should be humiliated. He make the decisions. If he is a man with any honor, he will accept the consequences.

Aren't you one of the people who are decrying the victim culture? How is Trump a victim here?
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Exactly what do you think one should for forced to "sacrifice" to end this "zero tolerance policy" that Trump enacted? What is a fair political price for keeping kids from being traumatized by being separated unecessarily from their parents.
Let Trump have his border wall.

maxdancona wrote:
If you want to end a policy that is hurting kids, it is going to cost you... Is that really what you are saying?
It's really what Trump is saying.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:36 pm
Dershowitz, a life-long liberal who voted for Hillary Clinton, had this to say about the ACLU:

Quote:
Harvard Law School professor Alan Dershowitz torched the American Civil Liberties Union in a new op-ed for The Hill on Tuesday. For Dershowitz, a liberal lawyer who served on ACLU's national board early in his career, it pains him to see how the organization has become a bastion of partisan politics.

"The ACLU is no longer a neutral defender of everyone’s civil liberties," he writes. "It has morphed into a hyper-partisan, hard-left political advocacy group."

Dershowitz regrets how the group has officially strayed from its original commitment to nonpartisanship. Dershowitz recalled the ACLU's glory days, when it was committed to defending core civil liberties and was made up of Democrats, Republicans, liberals and conservatives. After all, freedom of speech is for everyone. How times have changed.

"Today, the ACLU wears only one shoe, and it is on its left foot. Its color is blue. The only dispute is whether it supports the progressive wing of the Democratic Party or its more centrist wing. There is little doubt that most board members today support the progressive wing, though some think that even that wing is not sufficiently left."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/06/12/alan-dershowitz-torches-the-aclu-n2489858

oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:37 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Trump is not the victim here. He has all the power of the presidency and he is responsible for this zero tolerance policy that is at the root of this outrage.
The Democrats are responsible for their decision to refuse to compromise on the border wall.

maxdancona wrote:
Aren't you one of the people who are decrying the victim culture?
I have no idea. What is the victim culture?

I'm certainly not decrying it by that name, because I don't even know what it means.

But I suppose I could be decrying it without knowing what it is called.

maxdancona wrote:
How is Trump a victim here?
He isn't. He's the guy who's going to force you to let him build a border wall.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:45 pm
@oralloy,
Sure.

- The Democrats are responsible for their votes including not supporting the border wall.

- The Trump administration is responsible for instituting this new "zero tolerance" policy that is ripping kids away from their families.

These are unrelated. Trump has responsiblility for his actions. The Democrats have full responsibility for theirs.

You are trying to say that the Democrats are responsible for what Trump did.
layman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:45 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Trump.. has all the power of the presidency and he is responsible for this zero tolerance policy that is at the root of this outrage.

Quit your lyin, just for once, willya, Max?

Trump didn't make the laws he's obligated to enforce and he does NOT have the power to unilaterally change them. Wise up. Write your congressman.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:47 pm
@layman,
Do you notice how I am taking Oralloy seriously?
layman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:48 pm
@maxdancona,
The only thing you take seriously, Max, is your own overwrought bloviation.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
These are unrelated. Trump has responsiblility for his actions. The Democrats have full responsibility for theirs.
You are trying to say that the Democrats are responsible for what Trump did.
No. I am saying that the two are related. If the Democrats want to change this policy on children, they will need to compromise with the President. If they don't compromise, then they will not achieve change.
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:56 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Do you notice how I am taking Oralloy seriously?
I'd prefer it if everyone took everyone seriously.

If you are getting replies from a dozen people who are all making the exact same point, it would make sense to address each point only once. But it's not nice to deliberately ignore what one person has to say.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 04:58 pm
@oralloy,
So using the same logic, is Trump responsible for not having the money for a border wall because he refuses to negotiate with the Democrats?

Everyone should be held responsible for their own actions. Trump is responsible for his administrations new "zero tolerance" policy and all of its consequences.
Below viewing threshold (view)
maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 05:04 pm
@oralloy,
Actually he is, the Democrats offered him money for his wall. He refused to compromise. I don't think it matters. The Democrats are only responsible for their decisions. They didn't decide to enact this policy.

People should take sole responsibility for their own decisions. This is a basic principle of life that is generally learned by 15.
Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 06:22 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
maxdancona wrote:
Actually he is, the Democrats offered him money for his wall. He refused to compromise.
Evidently it was not a bill he could sign. They should try again, and this time come up with something he can sign.

What physical barrier or gun toting nut was preventing him from signing it?
maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 06:24 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
So using the same logic, is Trump responsible for not having the money for a border wall because he refuses to negotiate with the Democrats?

The problem is that it's impossible to use logic in discussions with him.
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 06:37 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
What physical barrier or gun toting nut was preventing him from signing it?
He couldn't sign it because the Democrats did not present him with something that he could accept.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 06:38 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
The problem is that it's impossible to use logic in discussions with him.
Not at all. Go ahead, let's give it a try.

If you don't have a preference, I'm in the mood for Hiroshima/Nagasaki arguments. But let's not derail Max's thread. CI started a Hiroshima thread recently and we could go there.

If you want to discuss some other subject, I'm game for that too.

Well, within reason. If you want to talk about something that bores me to tears I might bow out in that case.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 08:48 pm
Chuckie Schumer and his homeys, which would include Max, are sure pissed about this, eh?:

Quote:
President backs House immigration bills that 'solve' family separation crisis

The White House announced that Trump had endorsed legislation negotiated between GOP leaders and moderate Republicans that promises to "solve the border crisis and family separation issue by allowing for family detention and removal." White House spokesman Raj Shah said that Trump told lawmakers he was "with you 100" percent.

House Republicans have revised the compromise bill to include a provision loosening rules that now limit the amount of time minors can be held to 20 days. Under the legislation, children could be detained with their parents for extended periods.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., told reporters he was reaching out to Democrats for bipartisan backing, since the proposal would need to reach a 60-vote threshold to advance in that chamber.

But Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer of New York signaled that no such support would be coming, saying it already was in Trump's power to keep the families together.

The Democratic opposition to a solution was quite predictable, eh?
0 Replies