Kids in cages; how does anyone defend this

Lash

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 08:33 am
@ehBeth,
I googled “Obama-era pictures detainment center”.

I don’t read DC. You should talk about what you know, rather than the personal habits of people you don’t know.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 08:45 am
@Lash,
Quote:
. I googled “Obama-era pictures detainment center”.

And surprise surprise you got right wing propaganda. Obama is no longer president, nor is he responsible for this new "zero tolerance" policy that came from the Trump administration.
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 08:50 am
@maxdancona,
I got the pictures from obama-era detainment centers.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 09:15 am
@Lash,
Why do you care so much about Obama's policies? The guy is not president anymore.

You could have posted what Bernie says about Trump's emigration policy... That would have been relevant and informative. But that would mean criticizing Trump, huh? God forbid.
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 09:31 am
@Olivier5,
Inequality and unfairness irk me. I guess everybody has a few foundational pillars to who they are.

This same caging was happening. Separations of families were happening. Deportations of young people were happening. All of this was happening during a popular president’s tenure and there was no outcry.

So, it’s not outrage here now, but partisan grandstanding.

I respect people who cop to it. So few do.

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 09:42 am
From what I've been reading, the number of separations under Obama was tiny and many/most of the detentions were unaccompanied minors, which had no family to separate them from. People who track this closely (lawyers on the border and such) have said that it's not comparable.

I wish Obama would have had an open border policy, but he didn't.

If this was happening under Obama, I really wonder why Republicans weren't complaining about it like they are under Trump now. Often outrage happens when photos are published; it stinks but without pictures and audio people often don't care.

NONE of that matters now though and the "he did it too" line is simply bullshit and anyone who peddles that line knows it's bullshit.
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 09:45 am
@maporsche,
Rev posted this in another thread.

It won't shut up the fools who carry Trumps water ALL the time, but here are some facts.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/06/did-the-obama-administration-separate-families/
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 09:51 am
@Olivier5,
https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/thats-pretty-pathetic-bernie-sanders-tears-trump-acting-tough-little-children-get
Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 09:52 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Separations of families were happening.

That is Trump's version which you are relaying here. Yet Bernie Sanders said that the policy of separating children from their parents is "Trump's own doing". So what gives? Is Bernie saying the truth, or is Trump saying the truth here?

Tough questions there... Try and think carefully before answering.
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 09:54 am
@maporsche,
Republicans didn’t complain about Obama’s deportation methods for the same reason Oralloy liked Hillary’s foreign policy hawkishness—they are both, generally, Republican-pleasing policies.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 09:54 am
@maporsche,
Your source says:

Quote:
Experts say there were some separations under previous administrations, but no blanket policy to prosecute parents and, therefore, separate them from their children.

Obama refused to enforce the law for the most part. Not as many families were separated because he wouldn't arrest anyone. He told the whole "family" to just keep on going to the sanctuary city of their choice.

That was NOT a policy against "separating familes" (which they routinely did). It was a policy of thwarting the will of congress and the people, that's all. The constitution requires the president to enforce the law, but Obama was a reckless outlaw who refused to perform his consitutional duties. That's why the left loves him.
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:00 am
@Olivier5,
The difference trump made was he decided to enforce the laws at the border, treating those who crossed illegally as criminals. Our long-standing arrest procedure requires that children are placed in protective custody when their parents are arrested-if there’s no other family to give them to.

Obviously, in this particular situation, there’s no extended family on hand to take responsibility for the children.

So, trump’s decision to enforce prosecution of illegal immigration spiraled up the number of arrests, which spiraled up the number of family separations.

It’s not rocket science. I don’t understand why people act as though they can’t connect logical cause and effect.
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:13 am
@ehBeth,
Bernie criticized Obama and Trump, which is just one example of why he is perceived as honest and trustworthy.

You people are too dishonest to admit Obama used the same policies. It takes some veracity from your one-sided complaints.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:21 am
@layman,
Sounds like Obama wasn't a heartless jackass like some in our current administration.

I read that they were tagged with ankle bracelets.
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:23 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Ya don't say! I read that 97% never showed up for their "civil" hearing. Anybody can take off an ankle bracelet. Only people who respect the law leave those on when they're told to wear them.
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:31 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Ya don't say! I read that 97% never showed up for their "civil" hearing. Anybody can take off an ankle bracelet. Only people who respect the law leave those on when they're told to wear them.

Well, I read mine from Fox News. Where did you read yours?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/07/28/us-government-use-ankle-monitors-on-immigrant-mothers-released-from-detention.html
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:35 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Trump administration will stop prosecuting migrant parents who cross the border illegally with children, official says
Quote:
The dramatic about-face comes just one day after President Trump signed an executive order ending his administration’s widely denounced practice of separating families apprehended at the Mexico border.

Trump’s order said the government would maintain a “zero tolerance” policy toward those who break the law, but a senior U.S. official, when asked to explain how the federal government would change enforcement practices, told The Washington Post that Border Patrol agents have been instructed to stop sending parents with children to federal courthouses for prosecution.

“We’re suspending prosecutions of adults who are members of family units until ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) can accelerate resource capability to allow us to maintain custody,” the official said.

I mean, Trump is just such a great guy to implement this policy (without congress). What a true American hero and a statesman.
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:36 am
For those who don't know, there is a difference between "illegal presence" and "illegal entry." People who have overstayed their visa are not cited for illegal entry, because they did not enter illegally.

Illegal presence is a civil offense, with no criminal penalties attached.

Illegal entry is a crime, providing for a 6-month jail sentence.

Obama would catch these criminals 10 feet from the border and then just give them an "illegal presence" citation, refusing to arrest them. They was no penalty, they were not detained, and virtually all of them refused to come to the court hearing scheduled for the "illegal presence" citation.
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:37 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

For those who don't know, there is a difference between "illegal presence" and "illegal entry." People who have overstayed their visa are not cited for illegal entry, because they did not enter illegally.

Illegal presence is a civil offense, with no criminal penalties attached.

Illegal entry is a crime, providing for a 6-month jail sentence.

Obama would catch these criminals 10 feet from the border and then just give them an "illegal presence" citation, refusing to arrest them. They was no penalty, and virtually all of them refused to come to the court hearing scheduled for the "illegal presence" citation.

Any proof of your last sentence?
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:39 am
@maporsche,
Do your own research. Google it.