Another hoax shooting to fool the sheeple in order to bring in more gun control

hightor

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 06:34 am
@farmerman,
And both rely on deceptive advertising and market their products to children.
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthebluereview.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F02%2Ffigure-5.jpeg&f=1
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.huffpost.com%2Fgen%2F1134828%2Foriginal.jpg&f=1
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 06:35 am
@farmerman,
I think that, if at least we can have gun laws like Canada I think wed see a big drop in gun massacres in school , churches, and public venues.

I like the determination that many civilized countries use in their gun laws. They dont allow ownership and use of"weapons of war", which helps define such "Tools of mayhem".

Whats been the result of the new Connecticut Laws? I hve a colleague who lives up there and he and his son and grqndson are planning a spring turkey hunt. Ill hqve to give him a follow up and see whether he feels his "Freedoms have been lessened"

hightor

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:39 am
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F2a%2Fd0%2Fe4%2F2ad0e45eed84baeb81e3d499c806d631--gun-control-nd-amendment.jpg&f=1
Because our social conditions are identical, I guess...
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:54 am
Here is part of the introduction of a study done by Don B. Kates, an American criminologist and constitutional lawyer associated with the Pacific Research Institute in San Francisco, and Gary Mauser (Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, 1970), a criminologist and university professor at Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC Canada.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

It may be useful to begin with a few examples. There is a compound assertion that (a) guns are uniquely available in the United States compared with other modern developed nations, which is why (b) the United States has by far the highest murder rate. Though these assertions have been endlessly repeated, statement (b) is, in fact, false and statement (a) is substantially so. Since at least 1965, the false assertion that the United States has the industrialized world’s highest murder rate has been an artifact of politically motivated Soviet minimization designed to hide the true homicide rates. Since well before that date, the Soviet Union possessed extremely stringent gun controls that were effectuated by a police state apparatus providing stringent enforcement. So successful was that regime that few Russian civilians now have firearms and very few murders involve them. Yet, manifest success in keeping its people disarmed did not prevent the Soviet Union from having at and away the highest murder rate in the developed world

www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf
hightor

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 08:24 am
@Glennn,
I guess a thread about a 'hoax' shooting should expect to see questionable 'research' as well.

Quote:

The article appears in a publication, described as a "student law review for conservative and libertarian legal scholarship.” It does not appear to be a peer-reviewed journal, or one that is searching for truth as opposed to presenting a certain world view. The paper itself is not a scientific article, but a polemic, making the claim that gun availability does not affect homicide or suicide. It does this by ignoring most of the scientific literature, and by making too many incorrect and illogical claims.
(...)
The Kates and Mauser article is simply a one-sided polemic, usually misleading, and does not deserve much attention.

pdf

Quote:
The paper in question was not peer-reviewed, it didn't constitute a study, and it misrepresented separate research to draw shaky, unsupported conclusions.

Snopes

Quote:
For starters, the phrase “Harvard study” is a misnomer, as the paper was not written by researchers at all affiliated with Harvard. Kates is a prominent, NRA-backed Second Amendment activist, while Mauser is a well-known Canadian gun advocate. Their paper appeared in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, a journal that, unlike most academic publications, does not have peer review. The publication describes itself as a “student-edited” law review that provides a forum for “conservative and libertarian legal scholarship.” The journal’s past contents include a thoroughly repudiated article, “What is Marriage?,” which argued that gay marriage was morally wrong. One function that publications like the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy serve is to provide a home for papers that wouldn’t survive vetting by other academics; research that can pass peer review is almost always sent to publications whose more stringent standards also come with greater reach.

What’s more, the report by Kates and Mauser does not meet even the loosest criteria of an academic study, which requires either new analysis of an old dataset or boilerplate analysis of a new dataset. Kates and Mauser’s paper offers neither of these, instead relying on highly subjective eyeball comparisons of suspect data, without constructing a single statistical model.

source
Glennn

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 08:59 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I guess a thread about a 'hoax' shooting should expect to see questionable 'research' as well.

Like what? Be specific.
Quote:
For starters, the phrase “Harvard study” is a misnomer, as the paper was not written by researchers at all affiliated with Harvard.

Here is how the study bills itself:

A REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL AND
  SOME DOMESTIC EVIDENCE 

So why don't we start with the parts of the study that you found to be questionable. Go ahead.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 09:15 am
@hightor,
But moreover, tell me why I shouldn't own a handgun.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 09:30 am
@Glennn,
Hand guns are for losers. I own a collection of 50 kiloton A bombs for my personal protection. They work like a charm. Everytime a bugler comes in, I drive to a safe distance and then nuke the entire neighborhood. You can never be too careful.
Glennn

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 09:35 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Hand guns are for losers.

Do you own one?
Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 09:41 am
@Glennn,
Nah... they're for losers.
Glennn

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 09:44 am
@Olivier5,
That you don't own one disproves that statement.

But tell me why I shouldn't own a handgun.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 09:49 am
@Glennn,
You probably should own one. Otherwise people might think you're smart.
Glennn

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 09:52 am
@Olivier5,
Now why don't you try to convince me that you're not a stupid troll, because all evidence points to the fact that that's exactly what you are.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:02 am
@Glennn,
Because you cannot possibly understand the truth. Pearls kept away from swines and these sorts of things.
hightor

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:04 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
But moreover, tell me why I shouldn't own a handgun.

If you're a US citizen affiliated with a well-regulated militia I can think of no reason.

If you can't pass a proficiency test, have a psychological disability, can't control your temper, or play an accordion, you probably shouldn't own a handgun.
Glennn

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:05 am
@hightor,
From my link:

In the late 1990s, England moved from stringent controls to a complete ban of all handguns and many types of long guns. Hundreds of thousands of guns were confiscated from those  owners  law‐abiding  enough  to  turn  them  in  to authorities. Without suggesting this caused violence, the ban's ineffectiveness was such that by the year 2000 violent crime had so increased that England and Wales had Europe’s highest violent crime rate, far surpassed even the United States.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do you dispute this? If so, refute it.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:08 am
@hightor,
Quote:
If you're a US citizen affiliated with a well-regulated militia I can think of no reason.

If you can't pass a proficiency test, have a psychological disability, can't control your temper, or play an accordion, you probably shouldn't own a handgun.

Then I'm good to go.

How about you?
camlok

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:15 am
@Olivier5,
This and your posts following, Olivier, illustrate why you should not own a computer or have access to one.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:16 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Pearls kept away from swines

Is this a French translation because you are butchering English?
camlok

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:17 am
@hightor,
Quote:

You are describing at least half of the US military.
0 Replies