Is abortion only the womans right to choose?

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 01:58 pm
well, to be honest, I haven't read full 14 pages, so I will just give my opinion on subject.

In my opinion men have absolutely no right to "choose abortion".

However, men should have right to choose against abortion, if sexual act was willing and there are no medical dangers for life of mother.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 02:26 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
In my opinion men have absolutely no right to "choose abortion".

However, men should have right to choose against abortion, if sexual act was willing and there are no medical dangers for life of mother.

Accordingly, you would deny a man the right to excercise dominion and control over the woman's body in the first scenario . . . meaning, in your opinion, a man does not have the right to forcibly compel a woman to terminate a pregnancy.

However, you would grant a man the right of absolute dominion and control over the woman's body in the second scenario . . . meaning, in your opinion, a man has the right to forcibly compel a woman to continue a pregnancy.

In other words . . . you would require a woman to obtain the man's consent to terminate a pregnancy . . . and without that consent . . . she would be required to carry the pregnancy to term.

You are giving men absolute dominion and control over women. You are relegating women to the status of reproductive recepticles who will bear or not bear children in accordance with the desires of men.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 02:35 pm
no, but I am not at all surprised that someone like you has such conclusions.

Someone, I mean, that is so gender-obsessive.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 02:38 pm
oh, btw, I politely suggest that if you would like to have a talk with someone that thinks men and women are not equal and don't have equal rights...you should check if there are some mirrors around.
Have a nice conversation.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 02:39 pm
Is it not true that you would require the woman to obtain the man's consent for an abortion, and without that consent, you would require her to bring the pregnancy to full term?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 02:40 pm
yes, that is true - your conclusions from such premise are, however, wrong.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
Gender equality means that neither the man nor the woman have dominion or control over the other's body.

By requiring the woman to obtain the man's consent concerning what she may or may not do with her own body is tantamount to designating the man as the master and the woman as the servant who must obey her master.

Your failure to see the sexism in your own opinion does not make me the one who is sexist.

All things being equal, men and women should have equal rights. But, men and women are not similarly situated in matters of reproduction. It is a matter of pure biology that places the growing fetus in the woman's body, not the man's body. Inasmuch as it is HER body, it is HER decision whether to continue or terminate the pregnancy.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 03:11 pm
in my opinion main sentence in your post is - "it is a matter of pure biology that places the growing fetus in the woman's body, not the man's body".

It is also matter of pure biology that both father and mother are needed to "create" a child. This is not 17th century, people are or, if they care, CAN be educated enough not to have kids if they don't want them.

If someone is willing to take risks - go ahead. But if things go bad, well, tough luck. And it works same for both men and women.

Woman body is woman body, and there is no doubt about that - there is, however, doubt about is fetus really just "a part of woman body"?

I don't think men have anything to say about weather any woman in the world will be on diet every day, or eating everything she can, or doing 11,000 plastic surgeries, or have tattoos, piercings, or to do absolutely anything relating to her body.

However, men have absolutely same right to choose about their CHILD. Which is, as you correctly put it, only because of "matter of pure biology", put in woman's body.

All of that, once again, if sexual act was willing and there are no medical risks.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 03:58 am
Quote:
I don't think men have anything to say about weather any woman in the world will be on diet every day, or eating everything she can, or doing 11,000 plastic surgeries, or have tattoos, piercings, or to do absolutely anything relating to her body.

Absolutely anything?

Including inserting a coat-hanger into places I'd rather not think about? Or swallowing an abortificant? Or drinking large ammounts of alcohol, or eating insufficient ammounts to maintain the parasitic organism... I mean, fetus?

Your premise allows them to do these actions, yet would prohibit them during the period of pregnancy. Correct? Thus post-coitus a nine month period would exist during which she no longer has the normal rights to which you would allow her.

Quote:
It is also matter of pure biology that both father and mother are needed to "create" a child. This is not 17th century, people are or, if they care, CAN be educated enough not to have kids if they don't want them.

So far as I'm aware no birth control procedure, short of abstinence, is 100% effective. Four billion years of evolution has made our body remarkably good at resisting interference in its sexual reproduction system.

Even with vasectomies, in 1 in 1000 cases the vans deferens spontaneously regenerate and vasectomies may miss the rare mutation of a third vans deferens.

I think similiar things occur with tubal ligation but I'm less familiar with the statistics thereof.

Even in the case of the most stringent birth control there is a minute chance of pregnancy (far more likely than winning the lottery).

Quote:
However, men have absolutely same right to choose about their CHILD. Which is, as you correctly put it, only because of "matter of pure biology", put in woman's body.

Very well, new legislation. The father can claim the fetus, have it removed from the uterus and given to him as an alternative to abortion. What he does with it then is up to him.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:07 am
of course there are risks (and people are obviusly willing to take them) but combination of contraception has pretty good chance to work.

As for "father can claim fetus" stuff, I would rather skip comment on such issues.

For me, child is equal responsibility of both parents (which then also gives them same rights).

If you think differently, it's perfectly okay. But then be consistent in it.

So, do you think that if father does not want child to be born and makes it clearly, he should be also free of any kind of responsibility after child is born?

I don't. I am just asking you to see if you are full of hypocracy, or you stick with your beliefs.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:28 am
Re: Is abortion only the womans right to choose?
phoebe_bubbles wrote:
I don't really want to go into the rights and wrongs of abortion itself here, but should the right to choose be granted to men too?

Px

Meandering here.

1. If men got pregnant should women be allowed a say in whether or not they sought an abortion? Dunno, that doesn't help me but I thought I'd give it a try.

2. If it's about a woman's health/safety then no, it's between her and her physician. He has no stake in it. His wishes to be a father don't trump her right to life.

3. If she isn't in physical danger and just decides she doesn't want the child then sure he has a say. He can try and persuade her but if she says nope then tough. No good arguing that he will look after the child after it's born, we're not talking about purchasing a puppy here.

4. Final wild thought. Should we approve of a society that forces a woman to get pregnant in the first place? No, I'm not talking about rape. Should there be a law that says a husband has the right to have his wife get pregnant and deliver a baby according to his wishes? If not why not? If so, why so?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:30 am
Quote:
So, do you think that if father does not want child to be born and makes it clearly, he should be also free of any kind of responsibility after child is born?

Yeah sure, it creates a financial disincentive for the mother to maintain the pregnancy. The last thing this world needs is accidental children desired only by one of the two parents.

Quote:
I don't. I am just asking you to see if you are full of hypocracy, or you stick with your beliefs.

You have no idea what my beliefs are. You're welcome to ask and I'll tell you. However since for the moment I'm certain you don't have a clue what they are how could you possibly judge whether I'm sticking to them or not?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:35 am
theantibuddha wrote:
Yeah sure, it creates a financial disincentive for the mother to maintain the pregnancy. The last thing this world needs is accidental children desired only by one of the two parents.

hm, so what exactly is your solution or idea when woman is pregnant and wants to keep her child (edit: and, of course, in that scenario, father of the child is strongly against)? Since, in that case that's the "accidental child desired only by one of the two parents"...and that's the "last thing this world needs" according to what you just said.

Quote:
You have no idea what my beliefs are. You're welcome to ask and I'll tell you. However since for the moment I'm certain you don't have a clue what they are how could you possibly judge whether I'm sticking to them or not?

That's exactly what I did. Asked you. So that I am able to make some opinion.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:46 am
goodfielder wrote:

1. If men got pregnant should women be allowed a say in whether or not they sought an abortion? Dunno, that doesn't help me but I thought I'd give it a try.

Interesting question. Especially for die hard "feminists" (aka female sexists and chauvinists). Of course, it is hard to expect honest answer from most of them, I assume, because that will obviusly never happen - male pregnancy I mean.

Quote:
. If it's about a woman's health/safety then no, it's between her and her physician. He has no stake in it. His wishes to be a father don't trump her right to life.

Of course. As well as in case of rape.

Quote:
3. If she isn't in physical danger and just decides she doesn't want the child then sure he has a say. He can try and persuade her but if she says nope then tough. No good arguing that he will look after the child after it's born, we're not talking about purchasing a puppy here.

In this exact moment you are right. But things change, and who knows...centuries ago throughout the world abortion wasn't legal, it's still illegal in many countries. Maybe there is way to solve such situations as well - who knows, maybe once father will have legal right to decide that he wants his child to be born, but will also have legal obligations (and sanctions on the other side) for not taking the care for that baby.

Quote:
4. Final wild thought. Should we approve of a society that forces a woman to get pregnant in the first place? No, I'm not talking about rape. Should there be a law that says a husband has the right to have his wife get pregnant and deliver a baby according to his wishes? If not why not? If so, why so?

Of course not. Why? To put it on lowest level - because you can easily get divorce if you are not happy. And they don't mention anything about "giving birth to a child" or "making you pregnant" in marriage oaths.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:09 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
hm, so what exactly is your solution or idea when woman is pregnant and wants to keep her child (edit: and, of course, in that scenario, father of the child is strongly against)? Since, in that case that's the "accidental child desired only by one of the two parents"...and that's the "last thing this world needs" according to what you just said.

Laughing Reread what you just said and think for a few seconds... then hopefully you'll understand why I'm laughing at you. 'Kay?

... got it yet?

If you haven't perhaps I should spell out that that's the situation we were just talking about where I proposed a financial disincentive to encourage abortion.

Well, my "solution" or should I say my "idea" is that when the "woman is pregnant" and "wants to keep" "her child" and the "father" is "strongly against", then the "father of the child" can "be" "free of any kind of responsibility" "after the child is born", if he "makes it clearly".

The alternative "solution"/"idea" that occurs which is "that" no one would likely notice if "the father" slipped a morning after pill into "her" drink, or that maybe "he should" be able to force her to have an abortion is unlikely to go down well or achieve much in the way of popular support.

Quote:
That's exactly what I did. Asked you. So that I am able to make some opinion.

Uhhh, yeah sure... whatever.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:09 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:

Of course not. Why? To put it on lowest level - because you can easily get divorce if you are not happy. And they don't mention anything about "giving birth to a child" or "making you pregnant" in marriage oaths.

Good point. Seems to me then that instead of the anodyne marriage contract that is available at the moment (at least in my country) that there should be varying terms and conditions as agreed to by the two parties after negotiation and due diligence. No, I'm not kidding, I'm serious. If she wants to retain her right (I know I just made a presumption but forgive me for the sake of argument) to decide on her own whether or not she has a child and he doesn't agree and insists that he should be able to say whether or not she gives birth to a child then they can break off negotiations regarding the marriage.

Okay it won't play in Peoria but best I can come up with right now.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:13 am
goodfielder wrote:
Seems to me then that instead of the anodyne marriage contract that is available at the moment (at least in my country) that there should be varying terms and conditions as agreed to by the two parties after negotiation and due diligence.

Interesting idea, yet people can have sex without marriage so its effects would be limited. It would also be highly unpopular, people have a notion that love and bureacracy don't belong together...
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:28 am
theantibuddha wrote:
MyOwnUsername wrote:

Well, my "solution" or should I say my "idea" is that when the "woman is pregnant" and "wants to keep" "her child" and the "father" is "strongly against", then the "father of the child" can "be" "free of any kind of responsibility" "after the child is born", if he "makes it clearly".

mmmkay... then we strongly disagree. but at least you are not hypocrite Razz

but despite your jolly good mood, I still don't think you answered my question about "last things world needs". let's just add that pregnant woman is wealthy. how will you encourage her abortion so that world is spared of such a terrible thing as child with only one parent?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:44 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
but despite your jolly good mood, I still don't think you answered my question about "last things world needs".

It might help if you asked one...

Quote:
let's just add that pregnant woman is wealthy. how will you encourage her abortion so that world is spared of such a terrible thing as child with only one parent?

.38 Magnum
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:48 am
don't you think isolated deserted island (something like modern Australia) would be better solution then killing?
0 Replies