Is abortion only the womans right to choose?

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:42 pm
just one small remark before I continue:

1983 / 334 = 5.93 posts per day.

596 / 54 = 11,03 posts per day.

Wink

no, I am NOT saying that you don't have life outside internet. Just answering your first sentence Wink

As for the rest of your post I agree completely, and apologize as well for any inappropriate remarks and offensive comments made.

And I will not laugh at your croatian Wink

Only thing left now is to leave this topic to others that actually discuss about main subject - and, in both australian and croatian tradition, to have a beer together. However, this latter part is going to be tough, unless beer is virtual.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:55 am
mysteryman wrote:
If its a womans body to do with what she wants,then she is also responsible for ALL financial obligations,no matter what those obligations are,for whatever decision she makes.
If she keeps the pregnancy secret,then the father is not obligated to pay support.
If she has an abortion,then the man is not obligated to pay for it.

How hard is that?

It's extremely hard if you articulate no basis for your conclusions.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:32 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
If its a womans body to do with what she wants,then she is also responsible for ALL financial obligations,no matter what those obligations are,for whatever decision she makes.
If she keeps the pregnancy secret,then the father is not obligated to pay support.
If she has an abortion,then the man is not obligated to pay for it.

How hard is that?

It's extremely hard if you articulate no basis for your conclusions.

Those conclusions are based on my opinions,along with a basic sense of fairness.
If its her body,she is TOTALLY responsible for ALL EXPENSES relating to her body.
If she wants an abortion,she pays for it.
If she has kids,she pays to raise them.
If she wants child support,thats to bad.Remember,she CHOSE to have kids,so she is responsible.
The father should not have to pay a dime unless he CHOOSES to.
After all,its her body,and she made the choice.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 07:24 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Mills75 wrote:

Ideally, an argument should not be structured like an O. Henry short story or an M. Night Shyamalan screenplay. In other words, an argument shouldn't have a surprise ending. I suggest that, if you have a rationale, you divulge it rather than keeping us all in suspense.

The rationale, sometimes referred to as the "justification," was clearly stated in the post to which you were responding, said response being what elicited the above comment from me. Let's try in good faith not to take each other's comments out of context.

joefromchicago wrote:
We now know, as a result of your response to my hypothetical, that the reason why you consider it "unfair" for the man to pay more than just his share of the cost of an abortion is not because you consider it unfair for one person to pay when another person chooses. There must, therefore, be some other explanation. As far as I can tell, you have offered three: for convenience, I'll label them "reasonable expectation," "participation vs. imposition," and "viability of options."

This is an inaccurate oversimplification. You seem to have a great desire to break things down into their elements and try to make them work individually as the whole does; do you frequently dismantle the engine in your automobile and then wonder why you have trouble starting it? The "reasonable expectation" derives from other already clearly elucidated factors. The "viability of options" and "participation vs. imposition" support and define what makes an expectation reasonable.

joefromchicago wrote:
Reason No. 1: Reasonable Expectationlogically hold." Furthermore, you claim that "it isn't logic that forces parenthood on men at the discretion of women once conception has occurred, it's an irrational moral code based in antiquated religious belief." I'm not sure how that constitutes a logical argument (you have neither laid the foundation nor followed the requirements for a deductive argument), but we'll ignore that deficiency for the moment.

This isn't a logicalargument at all but a statement of fact. I would have thought you'd have recognized the difference. That our moral code is rooted in religious doctrine-- not rationalism, objectivism, or science--is elementary.

joefromchicago wrote:
As I see it, your goal here is to set forth an objective standard for judging whether a woman's choice is "reasonable" or not. If a woman, in other words, chooses to have a child rather than have the abortion that the potential father would prefer, that choice would be objectively unreasonable. And that may be so: I offer no opinion on that point. But you fail to explain why an objective standard, in this case, should be privileged over a purely subjective standard.

Favoring the objective over the subjective is at the very heart of fairness and justice. To be subjective is to be biased, to be objective is to be unbiased. Fairness and Justice require a lack of bias and, thus, they require objectivity. I no more failed to explain this than I failed to explain that the sun dawns in the east and sets in the west. It is something every grammar school child understands, and one would not be remiss to expect such knowledge on the part of those with whom he or she converses.

joefromchicago wrote:
Reason No. 2: Participation vs. Imposition. My guess is that you'd answer that, in the case of the woman deciding whether or not to have a child, she is not a victim.

You don't have to hazard a guess, you just have to read more attentively. I explicitly state this numerous times.

joefromchicago wrote:
Rather, she participated in the initial "accident," so she bears partial responsibility (unlike the Pedestrian in my hypotheticals). In that case, your "reasonable option" argument is merely subsumed under your "participation vs. imposition" argument (which I suspect is the case).

Actually, the fact of her willing participation is part of what defines what would be reasonable or unreasonable for her to expect, but this has already discussed.

joefromchicago wrote:
The "participation vs. imposition" argument only works if one assumes that the pertinent decision is the woman's decision whether or not to have the child.

There isn't a single "pertinent" decision, but a succession of decisions each giving rise to the possibility of the next. The first decision, for our purpose, is whether or not to have sex. The second is whether to have protected sex or unprotected sex (the protection, however, isn't always effective so this decision is sometimes moot). The last decision, for our purpose, is whether to abort or carry the pregnancy to term should conception occur.

joefromchicago wrote:
But, as I pointed out before, one could also look at the pertinent decision as the one to have unprotected sex in the first place. If the focus is placed on the sex rather than the aftermath, then we see two willing, informed volunteers, not one. In that case, neither the man nor the woman can complain about bearing the costs of their decision, whatever that might be.

You seem to have confused yourself again. The debate is about justice and fairness, not what is legally or socially required under the current system. The debate isn't over whether or not either party to coitus can complain about bearing the costs of their decisions (which, of course, they can if they so choose regardless), but rather what those costs should be.

joefromchicago wrote:
Your task here, Mills, is to explain why the focus is on the woman's decision to have the child rather than the man's decision to participate in unprotected sex. You've had one opportunity to do that and failed to offer a persuasive rationale; I'm offering you a second chance.

The decision to participate in consensual unprotected sex (which isn't really germane to the argument to begin with) is a joint decision, not the man's decision alone. The decision to abort or carry the pregnancy to term is solely the woman's. Science and nature have empowered the woman to make the final decision in procreation, thus the focus is on her. This has, however, been adequately addressed already so you may retain your proffered "second chance" (you really should try to be a more active reader).

joefromchicago wrote:
Reason No. 3: Viability of Options. You've now raised another reason for exempting the man from paying for the woman's choice: the man should only be held to pay for his share of any "viable" option. But this is simply a red herring argument. As you've already stated, in response to my hypothetical, a person can choose even a "non-viable" option as long as she is a victim rather than a participant. Or, as you point out, "if the male had somehow misled the woman about contraceptive usage (perhaps it was a dark room and he said he was wearing a condom when he really wasn't, or maybe he said he had a vasectomy), then he would be obligated to whatever consequences may arise from the woman choice in the event of pregnancy." The "viable option" reason, therefore, is entirely subsumed under the "participation vs. imposition" rationale: if someone has a choice imposed upon them, then they can require the "imposer" to pay for the choice regardless of its "viability." There is, consequently, no reason to explore this rationale any further: it is irrelevant to your argument.

I'm beginning to question your sincerity. The above shows a gross level of misunderstanding one wouldn't have thought possible on the part of an adult literate in the English language. Or is this obtuseness feigned and merely a rhetorical strategy? "Participation vs. imposition," as you call it, does not subsume "viable option," but rather it is the exception to "viable option." "Viable option" relates to fairness/justice (even a child understands this concept) while "participation vs. imposition" delineates those instances when what is fair/just change.

joefromchicago wrote:
Addendum: The Unexplored Complication. As I see it, you really have only one rationale: the "participation vs. imposition" argument. And, as I mentioned above, there are actually good arguments to be made in support of this rationale. But those arguments can only be made if there are two parties involved in the equation: the injured volunteer and the putative injurer. Things get much more complicated, however, if there are three parties involved: a volunteer, an injurer, and an innocent bystander.

In the case of a woman choosing to give birth, the innocent bystander is, arguably, the baby. We can say that the woman has been injured by the father, but in truth the injury is done to the child, who is the one who truly suffers if the father does not provide any financial support. Furthermore, like most innocent bystanders, the baby has no say in this matter: if he is injured, it is the result of the decisions made by both the parents.

The question, then, is: why is the baby not treated like the Pedestrian in my hypothetical, i.e. as a victim rather than as a participant? Since victims (but not participants) get to make any decision they want, and the injurer is required to pay (as you yourself admit, Mills), why doesn't the baby get to make a decision here? We can assume that, from the baby's perspective, the best option would be the one that yielded the largest amount of money, and so the baby would presumably want both parents to pay the maximum. Your task, Mills, is to explain how the baby fits into this picture. Is it a victim or a participant?

And yet another example of clouding the issue. The baby is neither victim nor participant. The baby is a nonentity in this debate because the baby has no identity or existence separate from that of the mother until well over halfway through the pregnancy. If, however, the woman simply doesn't realize she is pregnant until it's too late to abort (it's fairly rare but does happen), then adoption would take the place of abortion in this argument.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:26 pm
I believe that men are completely responsible for their own bodies, therefore, if a man were to become heavy with child, and he fears he cannot care for it, then he should be allowed to have an abortion, if he so chooses. I don't think a female participant should be allowed to force the male to either carry to term nor to terminate his pregnancy because it is an inconvenience to her personal agenda. In the same vein, if the male chooses to have unprotected sex with a partner that may be able to conceive (in almost all cases a female), he should assume the risk that a child may be conceived and realize he may have risked more than he intended i.e. a partnership. The male may impregnate, the female would be the one to conceive, but the product of this union has no voice in the matter and somebody ought to be responsible for the care and feeding of the new human once it is born. It's a clever concept that a woman should not expect any assistance rearing a child that is only half hers, but it is not new. I'm sure many of us know deadbeat parents that refuse to take responsiblity for the life they have created. And the way that many men have walked away from the life they have created is not necessarily new to this generation, just not as shocking as it used to be. Lastly, the local and State governments are not as cheerful as they used to be in providing support because the parents choose not to do so, and are making it more difficult for deadbeat parents to walk away and let everyone else pay for the children they care so little about.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:10 am
Mills75 wrote:
This is an inaccurate oversimplification. You seem to have a great desire to break things down into their elements and try to make them work individually as the whole does; do you frequently dismantle the engine in your automobile and then wonder why you have trouble starting it?

No. But then neither do I expect an automobile engine to construct a logically defensible argument.

Mills75 wrote:
The "reasonable expectation" derives from other already clearly elucidated factors. The "viability of options" and "participation vs. imposition" support and define what makes an expectation reasonable.

No they don't, you introduced them as independent grounds for decisions.

Mills75 wrote:
This isn't a logicalargument at all but a statement of fact. I would have thought you'd have recognized the difference.

Of course I can recognize the difference. I can also recognize when someone takes half of my argument and pretends to criticize it on the mistaken belief that it is the whole argument.

Mills75 wrote:
That our moral code is rooted in religious doctrine-- not rationalism, objectivism, or science--is elementary.

According to whom? I certainly do not accept that our moral code is rooted in religious doctrine.

Mills75 wrote:
Favoring the objective over the subjective is at the very heart of fairness and justice. To be subjective is to be biased, to be objective is to be unbiased. Fairness and Justice require a lack of bias and, thus, they require objectivity. I no more failed to explain this than I failed to explain that the sun dawns in the east and sets in the west. It is something every grammar school child understands, and one would not be remiss to expect such knowledge on the part of those with whom he or she converses.

You mistake the objective position of the judge with the subjective position of the injured. No doubt we want the judge to be objective, since the judge represents the interests of society in justice, but that doesn't mean that we require the injured person to sacrifice her subjective interests to some standard of objective fairness.

You seem, however, to deal better with hypotheticals than with abstractions, so perhaps this will clear up any confusion on your part (this should also be somewhat familiar to you):
    HYPOTHETICAL 2: Suppose Pedestrian is injured by Driver. It is beyond any question that Driver is solely at fault for Pedestrian's injuries, which are life-threatening. Pedestrian has two choices: she can either get an immediate blood transfusion, which will most likely save her life, or she can refuse the transfusion, which will most likely cause her to die. We can, therefore, conclude that the "objectively reasonable" choice for Pedestrian is to authorize the transfusion. Pedestrian, however, belongs to a faith that considers such transfusions to be sinful. Pedestrian, therefore, refuses the potentially life-saving transfusion. Driver protests, saying that he should be liable for no more than the cost of the transfusion, regardless of the actual outcome of Pedestrian's case. If Pedestrian dies, should Driver be held responsible for the damages resulting from Pedestrian's death, or should he only be held responsible for paying for the cost of the transfusion that Pedestrian refused?

Mills75 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Reason No. 2: Participation vs. Imposition. My guess is that you'd answer that, in the case of the woman deciding whether or not to have a child, she is not a victim.

You don't have to hazard a guess, you just have to read more attentively. I explicitly state this numerous times.

Indeed, yet you nevertheless maintain that "victimhood" is not the single defining criterion in your analysis. That accounts, in large part, for your continued confusion on this point.

Mills75 wrote:
Actually, the fact of her willing participation is part of what defines what would be reasonable or unreasonable for her to expect, but this has already discussed.

One's "reasonable expectation" is based upon one's status as a victim or as a participant. That argument, therefore, is subsumed under the "participation vs. imposition" argument.

Mills75 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
The "participation vs. imposition" argument only works if one assumes that the pertinent decision is the woman's decision whether or not to have the child.

There isn't a single "pertinent" decision, but a succession of decisions each giving rise to the possibility of the next. The first decision, for our purpose, is whether or not to have sex. The second is whether to have protected sex or unprotected sex (the protection, however, isn't always effective so this decision is sometimes moot). The last decision, for our purpose, is whether to abort or carry the pregnancy to term should conception occur.

That doesn't address my point.

Mills75 wrote:
You seem to have confused yourself again. The debate is about justice and fairness, not what is legally or socially required under the current system. The debate isn't over whether or not either party to coitus can complain about bearing the costs of their decisions (which, of course, they can if they so choose regardless), but rather what those costs should be.

I agree that this debate is about justice and fairness. So far, however, you have failed to offer any coherent notion of "justice" or "fairness" that would justify your position.

Mills75 wrote:
The decision to participate in consensual unprotected sex (which isn't really germane to the argument to begin with) is a joint decision, not the man's decision alone. The decision to abort or carry the pregnancy to term is solely the woman's. Science and nature have empowered the woman to make the final decision in procreation, thus the focus is on her. This has, however, been adequately addressed already so you may retain your proffered "second chance" (you really should try to be a more active reader).

We've dealt with this before. You've already acknowledged, in response to my initial hypothetical (we'll call it "Hypothetical 1" for reference), that there are circumstances in which it is perfectly acceptable for one person to choose while the other pays, so it is a little late in the game to be reviving that argument.

Mills75 wrote:
I'm beginning to question your sincerity. The above shows a gross level of misunderstanding one wouldn't have thought possible on the part of an adult literate in the English language. Or is this obtuseness feigned and merely a rhetorical strategy?

I can only work with the materials I am provided.

Mills75 wrote:
"Participation vs. imposition," as you call it, does not subsume "viable option," but rather it is the exception to "viable option." "Viable option" relates to fairness/justice (even a child understands this concept) while "participation vs. imposition" delineates those instances when what is fair/just change.

That is simply absurd. Even you admit that "participation vs. imposition" is not an exception to "viable option." Rather, it is the only rule that applies to these situations. "Viable option," on the other hand, isn't a rule -- it isn't even an exception to a rule. It's irrelevant. To see why, consider this hypothetical:
    HYPOTHETICAL 3: Suppose Victim has been raped by Rapist, who is a very wealthy man. As a result, Victim becomes pregnant. Victim decides to have the baby and sues Rapist for child support. Rapist objects, contending that he should only be held responsible for half the cost of an abortion. Who wins?

Mills75 wrote:
And yet another example of clouding the issue. The baby is neither victim nor participant. The baby is a nonentity in this debate because the baby has no identity or existence separate from that of the mother until well over halfway through the pregnancy. If, however, the woman simply doesn't realize she is pregnant until it's too late to abort (it's fairly rare but does happen), then adoption would take the place of abortion in this argument.

With this response, it is evident that we are quickly reaching the point where we will have to agree to disagree. I think there are extremely persuasive public policy reasons for denying that the child is a "nonentity in this debate," but I don't find public policy arguments to be terribly interesting as a philosophical matter.

Nevertheless, there's a chance that an examination of your position here might be profitable. You note that the baby is a "nonentity" because the baby has no existence until over halfway through the pregnancy. You do not, however, explain why that fact (and I'll assume, for the sake of the present argument, that it is a fact) has any bearing on this case. In other words, why should we care whether the baby existed at any time prior to the time that it actually did come into existence? After all, if its existence is fairly predictible, its damages are predictible as well. So why is a baby's non-existence relevant to the issue of who pays for its support?

To help illustrate this point, one final hypothetical:
    HYPOTHETICAL 4: Builder builds a home for Homeowner. At the time, Homeowner's house is on an isolated plot in a residential district, with no other houses nearby, but it is clear that houses will likely be built on those adjacent lots in the future. Later, Neighbor builds a house next to Homeowner's. As it turns out, Builder was negligent in the construction of Homeowner's house, and it collapses, damaging Neighbor's house. Neighbor sues Builder, claiming that Builder's negligence in constructing the house directly led to Neighbor's damages. Builder objects, saying that he had no duty to Neighbor because Neighbor's house didn't exist at the time Homeowner's house was built. Who wins?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:14 am
mysteryman wrote:
Those conclusions are based on my opinions,along with a basic sense of fairness.

Your opinions are worth nothing as a philosophical matter (unless you are contending that your opinions are somehow a priori correct). As for your "basic sense of fairness," you'll have to explain what you mean by "fair."
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:44 pm
One More Time
joefromchicago: One More Time.

Mills75 wrote:
The position: If conception occurs as the result of consensual intercourse, and there is no prior agreement between the parties concerning what would happen in the event of conception, then the male's only obligation should be to pay half the cost of an abortion.

The woman can choose to have an abortion or not have an abortion, but she has no expectation of assistance on the part of her sexual partner should she choose to bring the pregnancy to term unless there was a preexisting agreement of such. In effect, the system I'm proposing gives men the final authority over whether or not they become parents. (Remember: I'm arguing for a system of pre-parental rights that is more just, not about how it is now or what the legal system dictates.)

Quote:
The argument: Given that the female partner can choose to have an abortion instead of carrying the pregnancy to term, she has no reasonable expectation of long-term financial support from the male partner should she choose to carry the pregnancy to term.

An Abortion in the U.S. is safe, legal, and relatively inexpensive. Since abortion is no less safe and no more expensive than childbirth, there is no objective reason to favor childbirth over abortion in cases of unplanned conception (unless, of course, both parties desire to procreate at that time). Since the woman has this option and is not forced to carry the pregnancy to term, she has no objectively legitimate reason to expect her sexual partner to assist with the child that would result from her decision to carry the pregnancy to term.

Quote:
The justification: If one is presented with a choice between alternatives that are equally viable to one's person (equal in financial cost, safety, etc.), and if those alternatives represent differing viabilities to another person, and if one has not been placed in the position to make said choice unilaterally by that other person, then one is required by any rational sense of justice to choose the alternative that is most viable to the other.
not give the victim cart blanche to extract whatevernegligent, it would be the builder's responsibility to pay. However, if the builder did everything required of a builder in constructing the home, the builder would only be responsible if the house was still under warranty. If the home were no longer under warranty, then the homeowner would be solely responsible.
0 Replies