Is abortion only the womans right to choose?

glitterbag

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 04:05 am
Sorry, I'm still laughing over the remark that men bear a larger financial burden then women. Woo Boy, that's a good one. I'll point that out to my ex-husband , his contibution of $25 convinces him he did evey think he shold have done. Yeah, ol money bags was always dippin in his pocket to see if the child needeed something or needed money. When I remarried 4 years later, my new husbandtook very good care of my son, and the ex resented it because he thought we were trying to maker him look bad. Bothered him so badly, he hasn't made an effort to see his son in 18 years. But he of course loved children and wanted more and more and more.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:54 pm
Mills75 wrote:
The point is that she makes the final decision and that decision materially affects her sexual partner regardless of his consent.

Well yeah... still, with the exception of failed birth control the guy DOES have absolute say in it earlier. He can have a vasectomy before the sex and thus unilaterally decide there will be no children without even so much as informing the woman.

Imagine the opposite situation to our abortion argument. "Is it right that a man can have a vasectomy without even informing his girlfriends who may be attempting to get pregnant".

Quote:
It isn't unfair that she has the final say of whether or not to bring a life into the world; as you pointed out, that's biology. But humans aren't governed solely by biology, thus it is unfair that a decision on the part of one assigns massive responsibilities to another.

I don't think that the law should try to balance biology though. I think that's the kind of insane thinking that governs much of feminisms more foolish thoughts. It reminds me of a sci-fi novel I read where people who were good at one thing were expected to take on disadvantages to make everyone equal. For example people who had better than average vision had to wear blurry glasses, fast runners had to wear weights etc.

Quote:
By the way, aren't X and Y two-dimensional coordinates?

Yeah, that's the traditional labeling on a cartesian plane anyway, Z is traditionally the third dimension.

Quote:
And if that's the case, then men are two-dimensional. However, Women are only one- dimensional. Sexual inequality on a chromosomal level...what is the world coming to? Sad

I don't know but there's a 24 hour store where I can buy tacos at 4am opening up near me so I say it's all progress Wink

Quote:
I sense we've reached an agreement to disagree.

Oh certainly. I don't think your arguments are morally wrong or even stupid. I just disagree on a pivotal point that I think the law shouldn't counterbalance biology.

Quote:
Though I for one will not be the least surprised if we begin seeing "pre-coitus" agreements in the near future to go along with pre-nuptial agreements.

So so so so so glad I don't have to deal with that stuff.. So so so glad.

Quote:
I wonder how something like that would play out in court. Better yet, I wonder how that would play out in the bedroom...

Have you heard of the consent condomn? It comes with a little contract the woman signs to indicate she gives concent. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 05:17 am
val wrote:
What solution have you in mind in cases like this?

The argument isn't that women shouldn't be able to choose, but if the woman chooses live birth over an abortion and there was no prior agreement on the part of the man to assume parenting responsibilities in this event, then she should have no expectation of the man assuming such responsibilities (i.e., the financial and emotional responsibilities of being a father). This is better detailed in previous posts (I think my posts begin on page 8).

glitterbag wrote:
Sorry, I'm still laughing over the remark that men bear a larger financial burden then women.

Who stated this? I must have missed that post.

theantibuddha wrote:
...with the exception of failed birth control the guy DOES have absolute say in it earlier. He can have a vasectomy before the sex and thus unilaterally decide there will be no children without even so much as informing the woman.

Granted, a guy has the choice of using a prophylactic before sex and prophylactics do fail a few times out of every hundred (97 or 98% effective is what it says on a box of Trojans if I remember correctly). Regardless, if the guy and woman are both irresponsible and don't use protection, or said protection fails, and conception occurs, then there is still a way to prevent the pregnancy from resulting in live birth. And why do we keep bringing up vasectomies? There great for men who never want kids or don't want anymore, but not for those who simply don't want offspring at present. Abortions in the US today avert live births without destroying a woman's ability to procreate.

Quote:
Imagine the opposite situation to our abortion argument. "Is it right that a man can have a vasectomy without even informing his girlfriends who may be attempting to get pregnant".

It's not right for anyone to get or keep a mate under false pretenses. If a man or woman has rendered him- or herself incapable of procreating, or if he or she was simply sterile, then s/he is obligated to make potential mates aware of this. Now, if the girlfriend is trying to get pregnant without his knowledge, that's wrong, too.

Quote:
I don't think that the law should try to balance biology though.

Me neither. My entire argument revolves around a question of social responsibilities. Parenting might have evolved from the biological imperative to propagate the species, but it has become a social institution since we've become capable of ignoring biological drives. Remember, if we had a system such as the one I'm arguing for, then a woman would still be perfectly able to choose whether or not to carry a pregnancy to term; she just wouldn't be able to hold her sexual partner responsible if there was no prior consent.

Quote:
...that's the traditional labeling on a cartesian plane...

That was a rhetorical question used to set up nerd humor.

Quote:
I don't know but there's a 24 hour store where I can buy tacos at 4am opening up near me so I say it's all progress Wink

Welcome to the 21st century! I live in the Vegas area, so I can buy a taco and a lap dance at 4am! Smile
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 05:49 am
You know Mills, to be honest I don't know which way to go here. You've got some good arguments, but in the end it boils down to the universe being unfair and giving us a series of bad choices. Each of them seems to have problems and it's hard to say which is better. I don't think any side really has a monopoly on moral authority.

The only real solution to any of this isn't legal, it's scientific. The perfect contraceptive drug for males and females would solve all of these problems for good (well, if it were easily available and cheap/free).

I'll never have to face this problem. Two males can't procreate, but my heart goes out to anyone facing it. It's easy to quote hard and fast moral rules but our world is a little too imperfect for them to work. The arguments either way seem pretty persuasive, or rather neither of them are particularly satisfying. The universe is just unfair. I don't think that there is a perfect legal or moral solution to this, and that's just the way it is.

I thought I had an opinion on the matter but yeah... Getting less certain the more I contemplate it.

Quote:
Remember, if we had a system such as the one I'm arguing for, then a woman would still be perfectly able to choose whether or not to carry a pregnancy to term; she just wouldn't be able to hold her sexual partner responsible if there was no prior consent.

It does seem like a reasonable compromise, it's not perfect but it's one of the better solutions available to us. ...... I dunno. Sorry, the situation is a bit too fuxored to make a call.

Quote:
That was a rhetorical question used to set up nerd humor.

Yeah, I was pretending to take it seriously so that my joke response to the next comment about the tacos would come as a surprise and hopefully be funnier.

Quote:
Welcome to the 21st century! I live in the Vegas area, so I can buy a taco and a lap dance at 4am! Smile

<shrug> I don't get the appeal of lap dances personally. That's like paying someone to dangle a piece of chocolate cake in front of you, when you can't eat it and your best alternative is to go home, have a stick of celery and then imagine that it's the chocolate cake.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:41 pm
Mills, Scroll back a page or two, I copied this out of your post. Myabe you were attempting to say something a little different, but when I read this I still think of the old Warrent Officer who explained to me why childbirth was harder for men tban for women (when I was in my 8th) month.

Actually, I stated 'A' is unfair because it has the quality x and you retorted 'B' has the quality y but 'B' is fair. I'm sure this 'sleight of logic' was accidental. In my argument, x= the potential result of the woman's decision, which is placing a greater financial and emotional demand on her sexual partner than she, as a competent, willing, and equal participant to the act, has a reasonable expectation of. In your analogies, y= making a decision that affects someone who has no control over that decision. x simply does not equal y.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
I'm with CJ on this one; only the woman can decide what is good or bad for herself.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
But then, I've always had a bias for 'women's rights.'
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:20 pm
Unenforceable
Mills75 wrote:
Though I for one will not be the least surprised if we begin seeing "pre-coitus" agreements in the near future to go along with pre-nuptial agreements. I wonder how something like that would play out in court. Better yet, I wonder how that would play out in the bedroom...

Both parents are required to support their children. Child support is a right that belongs to the child. Any agreement between a man and a woman that negotiates away the right of the child to be supported by both parents is unenforceable.

But that doesn't stop you from informing your partners of your feelings on the subject BEFORE you engage in sexual activity. You can tell them:

"I engage in sexual conduct for pleasure only. I am aware, however, that contraception can fail and that sexual activity can sometimes result in conception. If conception occurs in this case, the most you can expect from me, if you can track me down, is payment of one-half the cost of an abortion. In exchange for sexual pleasure, I will not agree to embrace a child nor willingly contribute financial support. I will evade to the best of my ability all moral and legal reponsibility to any possible offspring that we may create in this matter. So long as you understand my position in this matter and agree to have an abortion if conception occurs, I will agree to have sex with you."

WHATEVER . . . at least your sexual partner will know where you stand if an unwanted pregnancy takes place.

But you need to understand that any agreement you come to concerning the possible consequences of your sexual activity is unenforceable. You cannot force a woman to have an abortion once conception occurs and if she gives birth to your child and the child is not adopted by persons who will assume your responsibilities, the law will require you to contribute financial support until the child reaches the age of majority.

If you are unwilling to accept the possible risks of failed contraception and the risks of fathering an unwanted child, do not engage in risky conduct.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:34 pm
And they said romance is dead
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 09:42 pm
glitterbag wrote:
(Quoting Mills) ...x= the potential result of the woman's decision, which is placing a greater financial and emotional demand on her sexual partner than she, as a competent, willing, and equal participant to the act, has a reasonable expectation of.

I see where the confusion is coming from--dependent clauses can be tricky. I hope putting the vital parts in bold clarifies what the statement actually is--not that the man would face a greater financial burden than the woman, but that she would be subjecting him to a greater burden than she has a right to expect of him under the circumstances. Does this clarify the statement?

glitterbag wrote:
And they said romance is dead

Laughing Before the foreplay begins, I would like to introduce you to my lawyer. He has some papers for you to sign... Laughing

Debra_Law wrote:
Both parents are required to support their children. Child support is a right that belongs to the child. Any agreement between a man and a woman that negotiates away the right of the child to be supported by both parents is unenforceable.

Actually, a man may legally sign away his parental rights and obligations if the mother agrees. Child support, technically, is not a right of the child but of the custodial parent. You usually see this in cases where the mother has the child but doesn't want the father to have anything to do with the child. For that matter, a mother may sign away her rights if the father agrees. Indeed, if a custodial parent never files for child support, then there will be no child support and the child can't go back later to sue for back child support. Because of this fact, I think a "pre-coitus" written agreement might actually be legally binding.

I do, however, agree that sexual partners should be upfront about this issue before having sex.

And once again, no one is talking about forcing women to have abortions.

theantibuddha: I agree that the perfect solution would be the perfect contraceptive; but alas, we live in an imperfect world. As for lap dances, they don't particular appeal to me either (I want my cake AND eat it too Smile ), but it's one of the things Vegas is known for (it seemed more exciting than losing $5 in a slot machine at the same convenience store where I got the taco at 4am).
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 10:03 pm
Debra_Law wrote:

Mills75 wrote:
Actually, a man may legally sign away his parental rights and obligations if the mother agrees. Child support, technically, is not a right of the child but of the custodial parent. You usually see this in cases where the mother has the child but doesn't want the father to have anything to do with the child. For that matter, a mother may sign away her rights if the father agrees. Indeed, if a custodial parent never files for child support, then there will be no child support and the child can't go back later to sue for back child support. Because of this fact, I think a "pre-coitus" written agreement might actually be legally binding.

You're wrong.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:34 pm
Illinois

Quote:
The right to child support belongs to the child, and neither the parents nor the Court has the authority to waive that right.

California

Quote:
The right to support does not belong to the parent who has custody of a child; the right to support belongs to the child. Each parent has an equal responsibility to support a minor child, depending on income.

New Jersey

Quote:
Plaintiff argues that the agreement between the parties contained in the property settlement agreement established the age of emancipation at eighteen and thereby terminates his obligation to pay support beyond his "best efforts" to pay college expenses. However, the right of support belongs to the child, not the custodial parent. Pascale v. Pascale, 140 N.J. 583, 591 (1995); Blum v. Ader, 279 N.J. Super. 1, 4 (App. Div. 1994). As we said in Zazzo v. Zazzo, 245 N.J. Super. 124, 130
(App. Div. 1990), certif. denied, 126 N.J. 321 (1991), "there is no divorce between parent and child." Cf., In the Matter of Baby M, 109 N.J. 396, 429 (1988); R.H. v. M.K., 254 N.J. Super. 480, 488 (Ch. Div. 1991)(a parent may not terminate parental obligation by contract). The public policy of this State as derived from its parens patriae interest in the welfare of children prohibits parents from bargaining away the essential
rights of their sons and daughters, including the right to be properly supported
. Kopack v. Polzer, 5 N.J. Super. 114, 117 (App. Div. 1949) aff'd, 4 N.J. 327 (1950); Martinetti v. Hickman, 261 N.J. Super. 508, 512 (App. Div. 1993); Blum, supra, 279 N.J. Super. at 4; ESB, Inc. v. Fischer, 185 N.J. Super. 373, 378-79 (Ch. Div. 1982).

FLORIDA

Quote:
Child support is a right that belongs to the child.” See Cronebaugh v. Van Dyke, Jr., 415 So. 2d 738, 741 (Fla. 5th DCA 1982). While the child is a minor, unable to enforce his own right to receive support, a parent or legal guardian may file the appropriate action to enforce such right on behalf of the minor. See id.; see also Newman v. Newman, 459 So. 2d 1129, 1130-31 (Fla. 3d DCA 1984). Generally, once the child reaches the age of majority, a parent loses standing to pursue child support.

NORTH DAKOTA (citing cases from COLORADO, GEORGIA, and MISSISSIPPI

Quote:
Although a custodial parent may have a representational right to collect support on behalf of the child, the right to support really belongs to the child. See Abrams v. Connolly, 781 P.2d 651, 658 (Colo. 1989); Conley v. Conley, 259 Ga. 68, 377 S.E.2d 663, 665 (1989); Alexander v. Alexander, 494 So.2d 365, 368 (Miss. 1986).

WEST VIRGINIA

Quote:
The appellee also contends that because the child's mother “bargained for” the lump-sum agreement, she (and through her assent, the parties' child) should be “held to the terms of the bargain.” However, on this latter point, our cases are clear that even the best- intentioned parents cannot “bargain away” their children's right to ongoing support from their parent. “The duty of a parent to support a child is a basic duty owed by the parent to the child, and a parent cannot waive or contract away the child's right to support.” Syllabus Point 3, Wyatt v. Wyatt, 185 W.Va. 472, 408 S.E.2d 51 (1991). See also Runner v. Howell, 205 W.Va. 359, 518 S.E.2d 363 (1999).

As to the lower court's ratification of the parties' agreement, a review of the entire record, and especially the absence in any of the lower court proceedings of either a guardian ad litem for the child or the child advocate office, leads to the inescapable conclusion that the child's independent interests were not properly represented or protected.

ALABAMA

Quote:
Alabama appellate courts have held in a number of recent child support cases that the money due for support belongs to the child, not the custodial parent.

RHODE ISLAND

Quote:
A parent, we believe, sho uld not be permitted to avoid or evade child support obligations by voluntarily terminating parental rights, especially when, as in this case, no adoption is contemplated. . . .

The plain language of Rhode Island’s termination of parental rights statute, ยง 15-7-7, addresses only the “legal rights of the parent to the child” and not the reciprocal rights of the child with respect to the parent.

In Rhode Island, even a non-custodial parent has a common-law duty to support his or her child. In re Adoption of L. and G., 118 R.I. 316, 319, 373 A.2d 799, 800 (1977). Moreover, we agree that “a parent cannot waive or contract away the child’s right to support.” . . . ("The right to child support belongs to the child.”); Matter of Harvey-Cook v. Neill, 504 N.Y.S.2d 434, 436 (App. Div. 1986) (“A father cannot contract away his duty to support his child with either the mother or a third person.”) (quoting Matter of Smith v. Jones, 250 N.Y.S.2d 955, 958 (N.Y. Fam. Ct. 1964)); Hobus v. Hobus, 540 N.W.2d 158, 161 (N.D.
1995) (“Parents may not voluntarily terminate their rights in a child to avoid support payments.”). In short, we agree with the gravamen of CSE’s argument that “a voluntary termination [of parental rights] or agreement not to visit with the child” cannot be the basis for a suspension or termination of child support. “If this were the law, the non-custodial parents would line up to ‘voluntarily’ terminate rights simply to avoid paying child support.”

The above was just a sampling. . . . I can't find anything to substantiate your statements.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:46 pm
DL is right; the money belongs to the child, and any spending from it must be preapproved by the court until the child reaches majority or 18. The parents are not allowed to "borrow" from these funds for anything.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:25 am
"but that she would be subjecting him to a greater burden than she has a right to expect of him under the circumstances. Does this clarify the statement?" What???? Greater burden than she has????

Actually, it made me laugh again, I temporarily lost focus and was thinking of men as partners in marriage and/or childrearing. I had forgotten that many folks squeak with pleasure if their partner puts his own plate in the dishwasher. It must be quite a burden for some men. And I have to fess up, I'm spoiled, My father, my brother, my spouse and my son always treat/treated their wives as equals. Now my grandfather was another story. He was waited on hand and foot. My favorite antidote about my grandfather was the day I stopped by to check on them (they were in their 80's) and grand dad said "Your grandmother isn't feeling well, I think she has a fever, so I told her that she didn't need to fix me a hot lunch, she can just make me a sandwitch"
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:53 am
Mills75 wrote:
Actually, I stated 'A' is unfair because it has the quality x and you retorted 'B' has the quality y but 'B' is fair. I'm sure this 'sleight of logic' was accidental. In my argument, x= the potential result of the woman's decision, which is placing a greater financial and emotional demand on her sexual partner than she, as a competent, willing, and equal participant to the act, has a reasonable expectation of. In your analogies, y= making a decision that affects someone who has no control over that decision. x simply does not equal y.

That's not what you said before. Here is how you initially stated your position:
    Of course the man doesn't have the right to choose whether or not the woman has an abortion, but [b]neither should the woman have the right to make a choice that will affect the next eighteen years of the man's life[/b]
Your initial position, then, was that it was simply the imbalance in the ability to make a choice that made this situation unfair. Now, however, you want to qualify that: it's not that the woman gets to make a choice while the man bears the consequences, it's that the woman gets to make a big choice and the man has to bear the consequences. You want to see that as a difference in kind; I, on the other hand, fail to see the distinction.

Mills75 wrote:
Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. As I demonstrate above, however, the quality that makes the focus of my argument unfair is not the quality identified by your analogies and counter-arguments. I've explicitly stated the qualities that make holding men liable for the birthing decisions of women unjust numerous times. Somehow you failed to take note of them.

No, I've noted the arguments that you've made. It's not my fault that I understand them better than you do.

Mills75 wrote:
Actually, I stated quite clearly in my first post on this topic and several times thereafter that is right and proper that a person should be the final and absolute authority over what happens to her or his body. In fact, I state that "...the man doesn't have the right to choose whether or not the woman has an abortion..." in my very first post. It's the consequences of the woman's decision and the responsibilities they create that are in contention.

Quite right. I see that as your point. I'm just not sure why you don't see that as your point.

Mills75 wrote:
Come now. Your automobile accident analogy is clearly sexist. It implies that women are merely sperm receptacles during coitus with little to no personal responsibility for their part in it rather than active sexual beings who are equal partners in consensual sex. I realize that you may be in denial about the sexist attitudes you hold; I myself still stand helpless against the urge to hold doors open for women, pull their chairs out for them, and defend them from harm; it's an unavoidable side effect of being reared in a patriarchal society. However, I have come to see that women are strong, competent equal partners in society. Just remember, denial is just a stage and acceptance is the key to recovery.

I'll go over this slowly so you'll have a chance to understand. The hypothetical that I offered should be considered on its own terms, not as any kind of analogy to abortion. In other words, the question is not whether it would be fair to make the man pay if he was a Father rather than a Driver, but rather whether it is fair to make Driver pay under the set of facts as presented in the hypothetical.

But why do I waste my time? Obviously, your comically transparent attempts to evade answering the hypothetical can only be the result of your unwillingness to answer truthfully: that, in that situation, it is fair to make the Driver pay, even if the Pedestrian is the only one to make the choice. The next question, then, is why you make the distinction between the choice that is "unfair" and the choice that is "fair."

By your most recent comments, it now seems that the former is unfair because it is so "big." In effect, it's not just a monetary decision, it's also an emotional decision. But then why are monetary decisions less "big" than monetary-emotional decisions? Is there some point where a monetary decision becomes so large that it gets as "big" as a monetary-emotional decision, such that it would no longer be "fair" for someone to make that purely monetary decision without the input of the person who will be forced to pay?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:59 pm
Debra_Law: You are correct about the right to support legally belonging to the child and I was wrong on this point and had partially misunderstood the instances I had either been a first-hand witness too or have heard about from parties to such instances. The right to support from both parents legally resides with the child, but the mother may waive the father's obligation to child support in return for his waiver of parental rights if she if financially able to adequately support the child on her own. My sister-in-law did this in Michigan (it was a prelude to my brother adopting her child), and three of my co-workers (two women, one man) were parties to these types of agreements in Alaska, Nevada, and New York. These are legally binding agreements, but they would have been thrown out if the custodial parents hadn't been financially able to support the child on their own. Thanks for expanding my meager legal knowledge. This point is, however, tangential to my argument which is base on social justice and not the legal system.

cicerone imposter wrote:
DL is right; the money belongs to the child, and any spending from it must be preapproved by the court until the child reaches majority or 18. The parents are not allowed to "borrow" from these funds for anything.

I'm not sure what state that's in, but in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nevada, child support checks are made out to the custodial parent and that parent spends the child support at his or her own discretion (ostensibly to support the child, but unless there's reason to investigate, nobody checks).

joefromchicago wrote:
Your initial position, then, was that it was simply the imbalance in the ability to make a choice that made this situation unfair. Now, however, you want to qualify that: it's not that the woman gets to make a choice while the man bears the consequences, it's that the woman gets to make a big choice and the man has to bear the consequences. You want to see that as a difference in kind; I, on the other hand, fail to see the distinction.

You're right. In the initial statement of my position, which was to propose a more just system of distributing parental and 'pre-parental' rights and obligations, I did not fully elucidate the arguments supporting that proposed system. Those arguments have, however, certainly been made clear since. Indeed, I state the necessary element of 'reasonable expectation' in my first response to your analogies. Thus my arguments have nothing to do with how "big" the decision of the woman is, but to what obligations she has a 'reasonable expectation' of holding the man. You fail to see the distinction, I trust, due to some mental block. Or perhaps you've tried so hard to obfuscate the issue with verbiage that you've succeeded in confusing even yourself.

joefromchicago wrote:
'll go over this slowly so you'll have a chance to understand. The hypothetical that I offered should be considered on its own terms, not as any kind of analogy to abortion. In other words, the question is not whether it would be fair to make the man pay if he was a Father rather than a Driver, but rather whether it is fair to make Driver pay under the set of facts as presented in the hypothetical.

Firstly, you are presenting an analogy (quick: grab your dictionary or go to webster.com and look up 'analogy'). As I pointed out to you the first time you presented your "hypothetical," you are making a false analogy. Of course it would be fair for the pedestrian to make the driver pay; the pedestrian has a 'reasonable expectation' of recompense because the driver alone was responsible. This, however, bears nothing more than the most superficial similarity to the parental/pre-parental rights and responsibilities question unless you're implying that most pregnancies occur when a male carelessly and accidentally slips his penis into an innocent and unsuspecting woman. If you honestly meant your "hypothetical" to be taken on its own terms, and not as a false analogy used to counter an argument that would otherwise be unassailable to you, then you have unwittingly wasted time (mine, yours, and anyone else who paused to read it) because there was no point to it. If, however, you intended it to be an analogy and are simply confused as to what an analogy is, then I've already shown you how your analogy falls short here.

Now, I'm not sure why you're obsessing about how "big" the decision is--I've discussed the significance of the decision, but it's never been presented as germane to the central argument. Any honest woman will tell you, however, that size does matter, and we wouldn't be having this debate if the monetary impact was pocket-change and the emotional impact was akin to getting or not getting a goldfish.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:35 am
Mills75 wrote:
You're right. In the initial statement of my position, which was to propose a more just system of distributing parental and 'pre-parental' rights and obligations, I did not fully elucidate the arguments supporting that proposed system. Those arguments have, however, certainly been made clear since. Indeed, I state the necessary element of 'reasonable expectation' in my first response to your analogies. Thus my arguments have nothing to do with how "big" the decision of the woman is, but to what obligations she has a 'reasonable expectation' of holding the man. You fail to see the distinction, I trust, due to some mental block. Or perhaps you've tried so hard to obfuscate the issue with verbiage that you've succeeded in confusing even yourself.

The distinction is difficult to discern because there really is no distinction.

As I understand it, you have stated that it is unfair to force the father to pay because the mother has no reasonable expectation for him to pay. As you noted before: it is unfair because of "the potential result of the woman's decision, which is placing a greater financial and emotional demand on her sexual partner than she, as a competent, willing, and equal participant to the act, has a reasonable expectation of."

If, however, it is unreasonable, on the mother's part, to expect that the man will pay for her decision, then the question naturally follows: why is it unreasonable? In other words, why is paying support for a child that he fathered not one of the obligations that a woman should expect of a man?

I have searched through your posts, Mills, in an attempt to find an answer to this question, yet I searched in vain. Apparently, the closest you've come to providing a solution to this riddle is when you stated: "what's absurd is that women have all of the power to decide whether or not their male sexual partners become parents should conception occur." So, in effect, the reason that women shouldn't expect men to support the children that they've fathered (and that they would have preferred to have aborted) is because it's "absurd."

And it may very well be "absurd." You have, however, not provided any basis for justifying this assertion. As such, it remains a bare ipse dixit until you can provide that justification. Moreover, since your entire argument is based on this ipse dixit, your entire argument remains without any foundation.

Mills75 wrote:
If you honestly meant your "hypothetical" to be taken on its own terms, and not as a false analogy used to counter an argument that would otherwise be unassailable to you, then you have unwittingly wasted time (mine, yours, and anyone else who paused to read it) because there was no point to it. If, however, you intended it to be an analogy and are simply confused as to what an analogy is, then I've already shown you how your analogy falls short here.

My hypothetical served its purposes very nicely. Thank you for playing along.

Mills75 wrote:
Now, I'm not sure why you're obsessing about how "big" the decision is--I've discussed the significance of the decision, but it's never been presented as germane to the central argument. Any honest woman will tell you, however, that size does matter, and we wouldn't be having this debate if the monetary impact was pocket-change and the emotional impact was akin to getting or not getting a goldfish.

Or, in other words, the difference between a sole decision that's fair and a sole decision that's not fair depends on how "big" the decision is. Thanks for confirming my point.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:50 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
The distinction is difficult to discern because there really is no distinction.

We'll go through this one more time (but after this I'm going to have to start billing you).

The position: If conception occurs as the result of consensual intercourse, and there is no prior agreement between the parties concerning what would be done in the event of conception, then the male's only obligation should be to pay half the cost of an abortion.

The argument: Given that the female partner can choose to have an abortion instead of carrying the pregnancy to term, she has no reasonable expectation of long-term financial support from the male partner should she choose to carry the pregnancy to term.

The justification: If one is presented with a choice between alternatives that are equally viable with regard to one's own material well-being (equal in financial cost, safety, etc.), and if those alternatives represent differing viabilities to another person's material well-being, and if one has not been placed in the position to make said choice unilaterally by that other person, then one is required by any rational sense of justice or fairness to choose the alternative that is most viable to the other.

However, in the case of unplanned pregnancy, abortion and live birth are not equally viable alternatives to the female's material well-being--abortion is clearly more viable with regard to the female's material well-being. It is safer and less costly. The only objection to this comparison of abortion to live child-birth is the religious one, which is moot since one can't justly force another to abide by his or her religious beliefs.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 10:11 am
Mills75 wrote:
We'll go through this one more time (but after this I'm going to have to start billing you).

If your services are priced according to their worth, then I'll have no trouble paying.

Mills75 wrote:
The position: If conception occurs as the result of consensual intercourse, and there is no prior agreement between the parties concerning what would be done in the event of conception, then the male's only obligation should be to pay half the cost of an abortion.

OK, I understand.

Mills75 wrote:
The argument: Given that the female partner can choose to have an abortion instead of carrying the pregnancy to term, she has no reasonable expectation of long-term financial support from the male partner should she choose to carry the pregnancy to term.

Does she have no "reasonable expectation" because there was no prior agreement, or is there some other basis for her lack of "reasonable expectation?"

Mills75 wrote:
The justification: If one is presented with a choice between alternatives that are equally viable with regard to one's own material well-being (equal in financial cost, safety, etc.), and if those alternatives represent differing viabilities to another person's material well-being, and if one has not been placed in the position to make said choice unilaterally by that other person, then one is required by any rational sense of justice or fairness to choose the alternative that is most viable to the other.

This makes no sense, given that you agreed that it would be fair, in the case of Pedestrian and Driver, to make Driver pay regardless of Pedestrian's choice. According to you, when chooser has two equally viable alternatives, one which will affect payer more and one which will affect payer less, chooser is obligated to pick the alternative that affects payer less. But then that was the same situation that I posed in my hypothetical, and you agreed that it was fair for Pedestrian to force Driver to pay, regardless of her ultimate decision.

Now, I suspect you would want to distinguish the two scenarios by saying that, in the case of Pedestrian and Driver, Pedestrian had a "reasonable expectation" that Driver would pay, regardless of her ultimate decision (your proviso that the chooser must not have been placed in a position to make a unilateral choice amounts to the same thing). Thus even if Pedestrian chose the most expensive option, it would be fair to force Driver to pay. In contrast, I suppose you'd argue that, in the case of abortion, the woman has no "reasonable expectation" that the man would pay anything more than half the cost of an abortion.

That analysis, however, merely pushes the question back from what is "fair" (for which you never really had a good explanation) to what is "reasonable" for the woman to expect of the man (or, in general terms, what is "reasonable" for the chooser to expect of the payer). Why, in other words, is it "unreasonable" for the woman to expect the man to pay more than half the cost of an abortion in the event that he impregnates a woman? That's a question that you still need to answer.

I would, in passing, note another problem with your formulation. If your general rule is that someone who, presented with two equally viable alternatives that will affect someone else unequally, is obligated to choose the option that affects that person the least, then that obligation is, perforce, also an obligation that falls upon the man. And, in the case of unprotected sex, clearly the man has two equally viable options -- to have sex or to refrain from sex -- which would affect another person unequally -- the possibility of pregnancy or the impossibility of pregnancy. Given that the man, therefore, has these two equally viable options that lead to two unequal outcomes for someone else, his obligation (according to you) must be clear: he must refrain from unprotected sex. The question then arises: what are the consequences for the man who fails in this obligation?

Mills75 wrote:
However, in the case of unplanned pregnancy, abortion and live birth are not equally viable alternatives to the female's material well-being--abortion is clearly more viable with regard to the female's material well-being. It is safer and less costly. The only objection to this comparison of abortion to live child-birth is the religious one, which is moot since one can't justly force another to abide by his or her religious beliefs.

If "material well-being" (which, it seems, equates to "financial well-being") were the only consideration, then we could simply erect a straight Posnerian calculus to determine who gets to decide and who gets to pay. Of course, such a calculus would completely ignore any non-monetary considerations, such as the desire to have a child. Some may view such non-monetary considerations, because they are non-quantifiable, as negligible or unimportant. I do not.
0 Replies

Curt Ranger 41

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm
The only chioce the woman has is weather to have sex or not. After that, as far as im concerned, she doesn't or shouldn't have a choice.
0 Replies