6

Is the fetus in the womb a human being?

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:13 pm
Just the facts please. What does science say?

1  
Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:44 pm
@kellirosej,
Yes. A fetus in the womb is a human being.

Ragman

1  
Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 06:26 pm
@kellirosej,
Define what you mean by what a human being is.

ehBeth

1  
Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 06:36 pm
@kellirosej,
In what jurisdiction?

Ragman

1  
Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 06:38 pm
@kellirosej,
Perhaps you might want to phrase the question as "when is the fetus a VIABLE human being"? That means at what point can a fetus survive outside of the womb?

neologist

1  
Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:19 pm
@kellirosej,
Left to develop, it will prove to be a human being. I don't think that could be denied.
In some venues, the fetus does not enjoy legal status as a human.
The moral implications have been argued here for many years.

djjd62

1  
Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:25 pm
unless it's a hybrid alien (extraterestrial), there are abductees who swear they walk among us
neologist

1  
Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 08:07 pm
@djjd62,
Is there room in the womb for alien doom?
djjd62

1  
Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 08:11 pm
@neologist,
i saw a pregnant woman the other day who looked like she had room for a log flume in her womb

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Sawmill_19th_century.jpg
neologist

1  
Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 08:23 pm
@djjd62,
You don't want to rassle with that kid.

revelette2

3  
Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 06:26 am
I doubt science comes up with a consistent answer to the question, I mean it has been debated for a long time and as far as I know, no consensus
has been reached. If there has I would appreciate knowing it. Legally the answer the in the US is confusing. The supreme court gives the woman the right the choose whether to carry the fetus to term. On the other hand, if someone kills a pregnant woman, usually they are charged with two murders. (correct me if I am wrong)

As for myself, I have wrestled with this for most of my adult life. I consider myself a Christian with fairly traditional Christian values. Yet I don't have a clear answer the older I get. I used to be firm in thinking abortion is murder. I still think it yet, when I think some situations, I bend a little. Then I think to myself, well, I can't say it is for sure murder in this situation and maybe not in this situation. Then when you think of the pill you take that would kill any seed that would take root, is that not the same thing?

In the end I decided it should be left up to each person to decide how he or she feels about it and respect everyone's choice of belief.

A lot of rambling I know, but it is not an easy answer.

Paaskynen

3  
Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 01:21 pm
@kellirosej,
Traditionally, in church law, a child would not be a legal person until born and baptised. Medical science has mixed up this view. In Europe now in general a foetus is not considered a person while it is generally unviable, that is until after the 12th week of gestation.