Will the Zika virus change the abortion conversation in the US?

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 12:43 pm
It's already changing elsewhere:

Quote:
Some individuals and groups argue that a pregnant woman should have the right to abort a pregnancy if she is worried about the possible link to microcephaly. Violeta Menjivar, the minister of health in El Salvador, suggested this month that the country might consider legalizing abortion in response to the Zika crisis. In an essay for Time magazine, Jon O'Brien, head of Catholics for Choice, calls on Pope Francis to "lift abortion bans" as well as restrictions on modern contraceptive methods.

But a lot of people don't think it should:

Quote:
Those opposed to abortion believe it would not be appropriate to make any changes in abortion law. "Abortion is a tragedy," says Dr. Danelia Cardona, a psychiatrist and the director of the Department for the Promotion and Defense of Life at the Catholic Bishops Conference of Colombia. "Using Zika virus as the leeway to allow for abortion is to compound one tragedy with another." In Colombia, abortion is only permitted in cases of rape or risk to the mother's health.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/02/11/465614065/chart-access-to-contraception-and-abortion-in-zika-affected-countries

With the presidential campaigns in full swing it will be interesting to see if anything changes, don't you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,047 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 03:33 pm
From what I've read it is very difficult to detect the virus in a fetus at 18-20 weeks gestation but gets easier as the pregnancy progresses.

Should a woman be forced to continue their pregnancy if it is detected after the cutoff date for a legal abortion? I'm really curious as to what the anti-abortion A2Kers think about this. Would it change your position at all?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 04:28 am
I don't think all Roman Catholics believe that a woman should be forced to have a deformed baby.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 05:14 am
The abortion conversation in the United States is largely carried on without reference to the Roman Catholic position. I believe the religious loons who think that even women who have been raped should not abort will insist that a women should not abort such a fetus, and will provide absolutely no moral support or financial support if a woman does carry such a fetus to term and gives birth. In other words, business as usual.
0 Replies