People Wonder Why . . .

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 10:30 am
I speak out so fervently in favor of abortion.

This is why: http://ktla.com/2014/02/04/couple-kept-3-year-olds-body-in-freezer-police/#axzz2sSsobAW2

When I taught at the community college, there were young "mothers" who gave birth during their junior or senior years of high school. Their literacy level was usually between 3rd and 7th grade. They generally sat in classes and texted. Their attention spans weren't long enough or strong enough for them to parent. They lived with the boyfriends who were not always the fathers of their infants/toddlers.

When asked to write an argument, they wrote about how immoral abortion is, self-righteously ignoring their total inability to provide a real home for their children.

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 10:33 am
@plainoldme,
Did the woman in this murder case say she wanted to get an abortion, but was unable to?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 10:38 am
It doesn't seem to me persuasion will change any minds. I'm on the side of allowing a woman to decide for herself.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 10:50 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It doesn't seem to me persuasion will change any minds. I'm on the side of allowing a woman to decide for herself.

Exactly. POM seems to be advocating that others (she in particular) be allowed to determine for someone else if they should have the privilege of getting pregnant, and maintaining the pregnancy.

As concerned as I am by women who may be too young having children, and the effects on the child and mother, no one has a crystal ball. It seem POM feels she has the ability to look at a woman, determine that she is going to be a lousy mother, and tell her she needs to abort.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 11:39 am
@plainoldme,

When you say you are "fervently in favor of abortion", do you mean you are insistent on letting women have a choice, or do you just strongly encourage abortions?
roger

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 12:31 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
I used to say I didn't know anyone who was actually pro abortion, but many who were pro choice. I may have to reevaluate.
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 12:37 pm
@plainoldme,
I've always thought the fetus should be allowed to reach the age of, let's say 18 years, and then be given the choice.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 12:59 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I used to say I didn't know anyone who was actually pro abortion, but many who were pro choice. I may have to reevaluate.

POM has made it very clear over the years that she despises her students, and I'm thinking she wishes their mothers had the good sense to have abortions.

I have no idea why this woman is allowed to remain in the educational system, putting her hatred into the minds of our young people.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 01:35 pm
@plainoldme,
It seems an analog decision not digital, that is, relative not absolute. Notwithstanding the religious, whereas the morning-after pill is most innocent, the late-term strikes one as most horrible
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 01:42 pm
@chai2,
roger wrote:
chai2 wrote:
POM has made it very clear over the years that she despises her students,
and I'm thinking she wishes their mothers had the good sense to have abortions.

I have no idea why this woman is allowed to remain in the educational system,
putting her hatred into the minds of our young people.
Is she still in it??
plainoldme wrote:
When I taught at the community college,
there were young "mothers" . . .
Her posting demeanor is very different than it used to be.
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 01:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Just a side question here:
In your opinion,
Does the aborted fetus have a chance at reincarnation?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 02:49 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
In your opinion,
Yes (referring to who was INSIDE the fetus, not the shell).
He was alive long before his parents' grandparents met
and he continues un-affected. Analogy:
a radio wave proceeds intact, regardless of whether
it is intercepted by a radio antenna, or regardless of
if anyone manifests it by playing it on a radio.

If I don t have a car, I live anyway.
Maybe I 'll get one later.

Another analogy:
a lobster molts off his exoskeleton
and he walks away contently to live his life.

David
neologist

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Noted
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:24 pm
@plainoldme,
I can understand how anyone man or woman, could look at that child and see the Mother as being un-fit to have had her to start with. BUT, when I look at that picture I see a happy child dressing up. That child did not deserve to die but also that child deserved to live.

Quote:
Police were called to the home 14 times in the past year, most recently just days before Kayleigh's death.

The system failed that little girl. If I was to second guess, the boyfriend was more important and she knew that the little girl was being beaten by the boyfriend.

Does that mean that the little girl had the Police intervened stronger, along time ago, at 3 years of age, could not have been Fostered out to a loving family? And, therefore lived a life? One that she deserved?

If your job effects you emotionally to the extent that any young girl that has a baby, should have had an abortion then you should change jobs. Young "girls" grow up.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
neologist wrote:
In your opinion,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
He was alive long before his parents' grandparents met
and he continues un-affected. Analogy:
a radio wave proceeds intact, regardless of whether
it is intercepted by a radio antenna, or regardless of
if anyone manifests it by playing it on a radio.

If I don t have a car, I live anyway.
Maybe I 'll get one later.

Another analogy:
a lobster molts off his exoskeleton
and he walks away contently to live his life.

David
Candor moves me to admit
that I have not interviewed any lobsters
to ascertain how contented thay are when thay walk away
from their exoskeletons. (For all I know, thay may be very sentimental about it.)

David
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 07:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What weighs against the idea of reincarnation, Dave, if the reincarnated organism has no memory of its former state or other apparent connection of any sort….

…and the likelihood of any prop is proportional to the amount of evidence, no evidence at all representing its lowest possible level, then how can anyone entertain the idea

The analogies suggesting that it's a sort of unrealized potential, to the devout must mean not only that the morning-after pill is homicide but that masturbation is mass murder
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 07:19 pm
Some women might think it's fine to get rid of their unwanted baby, but they can't get under God's radar-
“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget, I will not forget you" (Isaiah 49:15)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 07:27 pm
I'll say it again, I have zero problems with demoKKKrats and members of demoKKKrat voting blocks having access to abortion. The majority of conservatives are looking at this one the wrong way.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 08:05 pm
@dalehileman,
DAVID wrote:
dalehileman wrote:
What weighs against the idea of reincarnation, Dave,
if the reincarnated organism has no memory of its former state
or other apparent connection of any sort….

…and the likelihood of any prop is proportional to the amount
of evidence, no evidence at all representing its lowest possible level,
then how can anyone entertain the idea

The analogies suggesting that it's a sort of unrealized potential,
to the devout must mean not only that the morning-after pill
is homicide but that masturbation is mass murder
Dale, I believe that your error
is one of mis-identification. The living being is not
the organism. The living being is who goes INSIDE the organism,
as a radio wave goes inside a radio. The human body is NOT
the person, the same as his worn out shoes are not the person.
The intelligent life is not yet discernible by extant technology.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 08:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I presume Dave you're referring to something abstract. One of the reasons for so much antagonism amongst a2k participants lies in language difficulties