Is abortion only the womans right to choose?

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:21 pm
I don't really want to go into the rights and wrongs of abortion itself here, but should the right to choose be granted to men too?

Px
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,618 • Replies: 187
No top replies

carrie

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:35 pm
I think that the right to choose and equal opportunities, in an ideal world, should be applicable to every situation, but I don't see how this can be enforced when giving the right to choose to men without it coming down to control of another person. Where would the boundaries lie with regards to the control of someone elses body?

That is so tough, and such a painful issue.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:37 pm
I agree with carrie.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:45 pm
Yes to the queston in the thread title.

No to the question in your first post.

A man's right to choose, as an accountability moment, came and went.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:58 pm
It would save lives if they could. A disproportionate fraction of the times a man kills his girlfriend/wife, she's pregnant. There have got to be easier ways for males to get an abortion.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 02:10 pm
Well, it's not as if the woman didn't have a right to choose then too, pdiddie. Not saying I disagree... it's just a bad argument.

A man would in theory have some say over whether or not he gets to have a kid, but I think that the amount that the woman invests in that choice is so much more than the man does that it overrules his opinion. If the man doesn't get his way than a) he doesn't get a child he wanted or b) he has to pay child support. If a woman doesn't get to choose, than she might have to drop everything to take care of the kid (school, work, etc...), she could die from the operation, or she could die in labor. And, IMO, if the child's mother actually wants it, regardless of what the father wants, the kid is a lot more likely to grow up normally and not abandoned or sent to a foster home.
0 Replies

heimdall

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 02:45 pm
Re: Is abortion only the womans right to choose?
phoebe_bubbles wrote:
I don't really want to go into the rights and wrongs of abortion itself here, but should the right to choose be granted to men too?

Px

The focus should not be on "rights" but on what is practical and beneficial to society. Our present policy has been an unmitigated disaster. In principle, women should be free to choose whether to abort, but that would only be in the context of an otherwise rationally ordered society. IMHO.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 03:26 pm
At one time it was believed that the woman had no part in producing the child, that is, the man planted the seed and the woman was considered as nothing more than a place for it to grow; therefore, a woman having an abortion would have been as out of the question as a plot of dirt rejecting a seed.

We live in a semi-civilized, free, and educated society, and nobody has control over another adult's body. It may be difficult for some men to accept this, but to force somebody to carry a baby they didn't want would be a return to authoritarianism and a nightmare for the mother, the baby ,and society in general.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 05:21 pm
In response to what carrie said, in an ideal world the man and the woman would dsicuss the issue and come to a conclusion together.

But the fact is, people are stubborn and selfish. In Oklahoma men are required to pass a character test before they're allowed to father children.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 06:14 pm
phoebe_bubbles wrote:

Px

No! Only women have the right to choose what happens to their
body. There cannot be interference by man or law.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 06:16 pm
SCoates wrote:
In Oklahoma men are required to pass a character test before they're allowed to father children.

How does this work? Every 15/16 year old who lives in Oklahoma
is given such a test?
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:03 pm
I definitely think the man has a say.

If I got caught up in that situation (making this clear: I am against casual sex and so the father would be someone I am commited to/not a dead-beat male), I would never make the decision soley based on what I want. I would need the man's input in order to feel confident about whatever I decide.

It's his baby, too.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:08 pm
SCoates wrote:
Oklahoma men are required to pass a character test before they're allowed to father children.

I've lived here in OK for nearly 12 years, and I have never - not once - heard of this law.

Do you have any sources to back that up? It'd be interesting, if true Shocked
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:09 pm
rufio wrote:
Well, it's not as if the woman didn't have a right to choose then too, pdiddie.

True. But her choice option has no expiration date, either.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:09 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
SCoates wrote:
In Oklahoma men are required to pass a character test before they're allowed to father children.

How does this work? Every 15/16 year old who lives in Oklahoma
is given such a test?

15 and 16 yearolds can't get married, silly.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:16 pm
Sanctuary wrote:
SCoates wrote:
Oklahoma men are required to pass a character test before they're allowed to father children.

I've lived here in OK for nearly 12 years, and I have never - not once - heard of this law.

Do you have any sources to back that up? It'd be interesting, if true Shocked

OK? Oh, I'm sorry, I see the confusion. I was referring to Oklahoma, OH. Not the state, the city in Ohio. It's more of a city regulation than a law, but a lot of people drive up to Warren, where testing isn't enforced, and they can still purchase a valid permit.

When we got married, my wife was really worried that she wouldn't pass, because we wanted kids so badly. If that ever became an issue, I promised we could move to Chicago. I hear any couple is allowed to have kids there, without liscence or testing.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:17 pm
The male had his opportunity to voice his opinion on this issue as well as to choose to use birth control, but didn't. Now, he impregnates the female and suddenly he has the right to tell her what to do with her body?

Nada! He should have realized the consequences before he decided to think with the wrong head.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:20 pm
phoebe_bubbles wrote:

Px

NO. Men do not conceive, or go through forty weeks of gestation, nor give birth. How can the law possibly "grant" a man the right to choose? What if his "choice" conflicts with the woman's choice? Whose "right of choice" would prevail? A man should not be "granted" power to force a woman to bear a child or to terminate a pregnancy. It's the woman's body -- it's her choice.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:20 pm
SCoates wrote:

OK? Oh, I'm sorry, I see the confusion. I was referring to Oklahoma, OH.

Oh!! Laughing Thanks, it makes a lot more sense now :wink:

Hope you and your wife can find peace with the issue Sad
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:25 pm
SCoates wrote:
When we got married, my wife was really worried that she wouldn't pass, because we wanted kids so badly. If that ever became an issue, I promised we could move to Chicago. I hear any couple is allowed to have kids there, without liscence or testing.

<raises hand> I have a question, SC....

How difficult is this test? What questions are asked? And what answers would lead to a failing grade?
0 Replies