Michael Moore's Bodyguard Arrested on Gun Charge

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:49 pm
Nothing to defend here. Nothing happened in regards to Moore except a vague association with an employee of a bodyguard company. Have another cocktail, go to sleep and call me in the morning.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 09:23 pm
Your devotion to accuracy in reporting is laudable, LW. Now, if only your hero was as committed. ........
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:03 pm
He's not a reporter.

Saw Ken Burn's (likely the finest documentarian who created the series "Jazz" and "The Civil War") documentary on Jack Johnson, the famous African American boxer who inspired the play and the movie "The Great White Hope." It was drenched in opinion. You guys need to get out more. You couldn't tell a documentary if it walked up and bit you in the ass.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:06 pm
Saw it too. Didn't notice the opinion.
It was excellent BTW
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:42 pm
I saw it, and it was drenched in opinion. Ali would've kicked that guy's ass.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:07 am
All of those in the commentary sequences were giving opinions, especially on the legal troubles and racist aspects.

I would agree that Ali would be a good match-up to a young Jack as I was astonished at the flaky boxing rules of the era. It looked like the boxers were doing the Tennessee Waltz most of the time. And 45 rounds? Yikes!

Nice diversion from the fact that some should be suspicious of TV's tabloid press FOX News. FOX Snooze, that is.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:14 am
I was oblivious to the opinions and mesmerized by the story.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:18 am
Lightwizard wrote:
He's not a reporter.

Saw Ken Burn's (likely the finest documentarian who created the series "Jazz" and "The Civil War") documentary on Jack Johnson, the famous African American boxer who inspired the play and the movie "The Great White Hope." It was drenched in opinion. You guys need to get out more. You couldn't tell a documentary if it walked up and bit you in the ass.

Burns is a national treasure. This was a typically excellent work.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
I appreciated the opinions of those who knew the boxer and knowing that Ken Burns as well as Moore do extensive fact checking before something reaches the screen. Too bad FOX news didn't learn from the Dan Rather CBS debacle and triple check their stories.

Burns just gets better and better -- notice he dedicated the series to his friend George Plimpton who, I believe, wrote for many of his past documentaries and was one of the commentators. If I'm not mistaken, he's appeared in just about every one of them. Nice to see a gay American get credit for his exceptional life.

The films of the fights were mesmerizing and the story in documentary was as inspiring as the work it inspires, "The Great White Hope." I think the film just went back on my list to rent very soon while the documentary is fresh in my mind.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:31 am
BTW, in film history which I have a good knowledge of, the greatest documentaries have always had a point of view and offered opinions on the facts. I have said before, sometimes Moore's methods of ambushing people seems rather devious but, then, if these people are dumb enough to go along with it, they get what they deserve. Moore will have to disguise himself (a very difficult thing to do without a lot of trips to the gym and a new diet) to interview anyone for his new project on HMO's. He might start thinking of paying attention to directing and having someone else do the interviews. I realize this is what made "Roger and Me" such a landmark documentary (and with his other documentaries, in the top ten best documentaries and nearly every critical list) is that personal confrontation. I definetely agree he should do more than clean up his look and loose some weight. Two-thirds of Americans are overweight so as far as hypocrisy, I can't help suspecting we have some of it going on right here on A2K.

Better get out their a take your run this morning.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
You know, LW, it as I was moving through my intellectually formative years that the civil rights issues were pouring out of the family tv up in our little Canadian town...the beatings, the brutal bigotry. No single social issue so marked my values and that of my entire family. It's why I'm present on that other thread.

And my dad was a boxing fan. My twin brother and I would sit with him in front of the radio (before we got that tv) and listen to the big fights. He spoke of Johnston often. He also bought us boxing gloves and a punching bag, but it wasn't my personal cup of tea. With pretty severe myopia and astigmatism even back then, I couldn't see a glove coming until about the time it arrived. And I really have never enjoyed being pummeled.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:48 am
Lest we forget, although it's a docudrama, "The Birth of a Nation" was the most popular film of its era and it portrayed the Klu Klux Klan as American heroes. This was also in Burn's documentary and used as critical opinion.

My Dad was a big boxing fan and bemoaned the fact that too many fights were obviously fixed. I can hear him now watching a bout on TV and screaming at the set, "You bastards fixed the fight!"

Like your new signature quote by John Dewey. Truer words were never written and especially in these times.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
I'll happily imagine a beyond the grave nod from one father to another.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:58 am
Lightwizard wrote:
BTW, in film history which I have a good knowledge of, the greatest documentaries have always had a point of view and offered opinions on the facts. I have said before, sometimes Moore's methods of ambushing people seems rather devious but, then, if these people are dumb enough to go along with it, they get what they deserve. Moore will have to disguise himself (a very difficult thing to do without a lot of trips to the gym and a new diet) to interview anyone for his new project on HMO's. He might start thinking of paying attention to directing and having someone else do the interviews. I realize this is what made "Roger and Me" such a landmark documentary (and with his other documentaries, in the top ten best documentaries and nearly every critical list) is that personal confrontation. I definetely agree he should do more than clean up his look and loose some weight. Two-thirds of Americans are overweight so as far as hypocrisy, I can't help suspecting we have some of it going on right here on A2K.

Better get out their a take your run this morning.

Yes, you accused me of being fat on an earlier thread ... apparently because you "suspect" there is hypocrisy with all the fat jokes. I debunked that accusation... HERE. You will note that I've never accused you of being overweight.

Here is where moorewatch.com debunks some of the lies and mistruths told by Moore in Fahrenheit 9/11 (go to the site for the links):

Quote:
- Moore claims that minorities make up a larger portion of the military than exists in the general population. FALSE. Debunked here.

- Moore took advantage of a grieving mother when he paraded Lila Lipscomb through his movie.

- Moore was wrong about why we went to war with Iraq.

- Moore lies about meeting and hugging Tom Daschle.

- Moore forged a news article for inclusion in the film. Evidence is here. Our first three stories on the subject are here, here, and here.

- Moore claims Florida pulled mostly blacks from the voting rolls in 2000. FALSE. Here's the evidence.

- Moore's claim about Congressional families with children (who are actually adults) in the military debunked here.

- Virtually all of Moore's fantasies about the Taliban pipeline segment are false or misleading. See our coverage beginning with Part 1, Part 2, and finally Part 3.

- Moore takes Condi Rice completely out of context. By editing the second half of her statement right out of the movie, Moore twists Rice's words 180 degrees from what they actually meant.

- Moore completed edited the entire conversation he had on the street with Rep. Mark Kennedy. This conversation, if it were shown in context, would have invalidated Moore's entire segment, rendering the "ambush" sequence and the claim that Congress has no vested interest in military members that could die in service completely wasted.

- Moore confuse two issues that don't belong together. The question of "Is the war just?" and who serves in it are separate and distinct issues.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:01 am
There's a fine line between documentaries and propaganda but I don't have the ocular skills to discern it. Perhaps one day I'll see 9/11 and decide. I'm in no rush.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:53 am
As far as weight goes, I am 5'11" tall and weigh 190 pounds, with a muscular frame. My BMI is 27, which means that from that perspective, I am overweight.

I am actually the same size as Ronnie Lott was when he was playing for the 49ers. Go figure.

So now you know. Berate me at your leisure.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:55 am
Yawn. More rehash of old tired retorts to Moore's documentaries. Statistics do lie and drawing them from different sources makes it more confusing. Keep reading Moorewatch and never see the actual films.

Every individual after actually seeing Moore's documentaries has the right to judge whether they contain propaganda. In the simplist meaning of the word, it doesn't mean what is presented isn't true, it's that the other side that's not there. Moore himself admits F9/11 is slanted to his own viewpoint
and has also stated he may be right or he may be wrong.

I never specifically accused you by name of being fat, Tico. I baited everyone and you fell for it with your characteristic bragging. Very commendable that your amongst the 1/3 of Americans that are at least not overweight. The real point went straight over your head but I expected that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:59 am
Well, cjhsa, as I have written elsewhere, I would never berate anyone, and that means anyone, about their weight except to make suggestions on how to lose it. I was about 15 lbs. over what my weight should be and lost it with Adkins and exercise. I will refrain from bragging that I haven't lost my student body.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:01 am
I tried the Adkins diet. He wasn't very tasty.

And exercise, I exercise regularly. Like Winnie the Pooh says, it "puts me in the mood, for food".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:04 am
Eating bacon and eggs, steak, vegetables and fruits isn't tasty? My Gawd, cjhsa, who's your cook?

I'm for the modified Adkins that still has healthy complex carbs in it. Although you lose weight slower, it doesn't give you the blues. Eliminating carbs entirely can effect seratonin levels.
0 Replies