Michael Moore's Bodyguard Arrested on Gun Charge

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:28 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I see -- the freedom of speech has strings attached. Don't say anything that someone will disagree with so violently that they would shoot you. Another good example of our culture of fear.

Then why doesn't Moore walk around without a bodyguard? He should make a statement about the "culture of fear": "Look at me.... I'm unafraid. I don't need a gun to protect me. Follow my example."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:30 pm
Interesting point, Tico!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:42 pm
Not exactly a disinterested mainstream news source, but interesting, nonetheless!

Quote:
Update: I'd like to expand upon this thought, and I'd specifically like Moore fans to comment on it. One of Mikey's big claims is that the threat of terrorism is statistically insignificant when compared to the risks of everyday life, and that our fear of terrorism has been manufactured by the government and the media. If we accept that postulate as true, then what do we make of Moore's armed guard? How many celebrities have been killed by stalkers? John Lennon, but that was almost a quarter-century ago. There was Rebecca Schaffer, from that 80s sitcom My Sister Sam. Can anyone think of any others? So, let's say that in the last 20 years five celebrities have been killed by stalkers. If you look at the numbers, your chances of being killed by a terrorist are exponentially higher than Michael Moore's are of being killed by a member of the public. So, is Moore's armed guard a byproduct of his irrational fear of being attacked? If so, who is perpetuating this fear? And if you feel that Mikey's fears are well-founded, please explain why. If you look at the numbers his chances of getting killed by a member of the public are miniscule compared to his chances of, say, dying from obesity-related heart disease. Yet he isn't walking around with a cardiologist, is he? Why do you think that is?

Update 2: I just thought of one more example: Larry Flynt. He's a pretty good example of someone like Moore, who was proudly controversial and was attacked for it, even though he didn't end up dying. But how long ago was Flynt shot? 1978? So that was even before John Lennon. Astounding, isn't it, that Moore is so paranoid and such a victim of the culture of fear that he feels the need to be followed everywhere by a trained killer.

http://moorewatch.com/index.php/weblog/comments/928/
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:46 pm
Quote:
If you look at the numbers his chances of getting killed by a member of the public are miniscule compared to his chances of, say, dying from obesity-related heart disease. Yet he isn't walking around with a cardiologist, is he? Why do you think that is?

... because he loves french fries?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:48 pm
Phoenix, I did not intimate that it had anything to do with other than it's against the law to shoot someone for what they say or write. In order to protect oneself for excercising their freedom of speech causes them to hire a bodyguard who has a weapon to protect themselves they are also observing the 2nd amendment. It does not mean they advocate doing away with the 2nd amendment.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:49 pm
Unfortunately, in the USA he's acknowledging that if someone has made death threats you would be stupid not to have protection. Another strawman argument.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:50 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Phoenix, I did not intimate that it had anything to do with other than it's against the law to shoot someone for what they say or write. In order to protect oneself for excercising their freedom of speech causes them to hire a bodyguard who has a weapon to protect themselves they are also observing the 2nd amendment. It does not mean they advocate doing away with the 2nd amendment.

It also doesn't mean this is anything other than rank hypocrisy from Moore.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:54 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Not exactly a disinterested mainstream news source, but interesting, nonetheless!

Quote:
Update: I'd like to expand upon this thought, and I'd specifically like Moore fans to comment on it. One of Mikey's big claims is that the threat of terrorism is statistically insignificant when compared to the risks of everyday life, and that our fear of terrorism has been manufactured by the government and the media. If we accept that postulate as true, then what do we make of Moore's armed guard? How many celebrities have been killed by stalkers? John Lennon, but that was almost a quarter-century ago. There was Rebecca Schaffer, from that 80s sitcom My Sister Sam. Can anyone think of any others? So, let's say that in the last 20 years five celebrities have been killed by stalkers. If you look at the numbers, your chances of being killed by a terrorist are exponentially higher than Michael Moore's are of being killed by a member of the public. So, is Moore's armed guard a byproduct of his irrational fear of being attacked? If so, who is perpetuating this fear? And if you feel that Mikey's fears are well-founded, please explain why. If you look at the numbers his chances of getting killed by a member of the public are miniscule compared to his chances of, say, dying from obesity-related heart disease. Yet he isn't walking around with a cardiologist, is he? Why do you think that is?

Update 2: I just thought of one more example: Larry Flynt. He's a pretty good example of someone like Moore, who was proudly controversial and was attacked for it, even though he didn't end up dying. But how long ago was Flynt shot? 1978? So that was even before John Lennon. Astounding, isn't it, that Moore is so paranoid and such a victim of the culture of fear that he feels the need to be followed everywhere by a trained killer.

http://moorewatch.com/index.php/weblog/comments/928/

When was the last time a President of the US was killed by an angry or unstable citizen, guerrilla, or rogue terrorist?
Does the disguisting display of military might by GWB at the innauguration seem any more or less appropriate because so few presidents have actually been murdered?
The implication of the above exerpt makes no sense.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:55 pm
Big Whoopdy-Doo! Anyone that believes Moore is a spokesman for American Liberals is just as loony as those that consider Rush a spokesman for Conservatives....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:56 pm
Quote:
NEW YORK CITY--A city permit is required for possession and transportation of handguns and long guns. New York State handgun permits are invalid within the city limits; however, New York State residents may transport their licensed handguns unloaded through the city if these are locked in a container and the trip is continuous. Long guns may be kept in the city for only 24 hours while in transit and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container or vehicle trunk for the period.

New York City forbids possession of an "assault weapon," which includes various specified semi automatic rifles and shotguns, or revolving cylinder shotguns. It is unlawful to possess an "ammunition feeding device" capable of holding more than 17 rounds in a handgun, or more than 5 rounds in a rifle or shotgun.

In all cases, the general rule should be observed. The New York State law on illegal possession applies to the City as well.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

The gun laws are more strict in NYC than in other states, or even other parts of New York State.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
panzade wrote:
Big Whoopdy-Doo! Anyone that believes Moore is a spokesman for American Liberals is just as loony as those that consider Rush a spokesman for Conservatives....

Well, I wasn't invited to sit up in the balcony next to Jimmy Carter during the DNC.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:08 pm
AWWW, and don't be miffed if you never get invited to sit beside a President.

If someone really wants to kill Moore, an armed bodyguard will facilitate only peripheral protection. Suggesting that he should make himself an easier target is the hypocrisy.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:17 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Well, I wasn't invited to sit up in the balcony next to Jimmy Carter during the DNC.

Good thing! You would've been stripped of your neo-badge.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:24 pm
Moore is the unofficial point man for the Democratic party. That much is obvious.

Wow, this thread really took off while I was gone.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:26 pm
panzade wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Good thing! You would've been stripped of your neo-badge.

Only if I accepted.....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:28 pm
cjhsa wrote:

So you're the one that fathered this thread? I should've known.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:32 pm
panzade wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

So you're the one that fathered this thread? I should've known.

Just to show you that great minds think alike ... I had earlier posted a link to the story ..... HERE
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:37 pm
I'd go in that room full of smugness but I don't want to vomit all over my favorite t-shirt.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:37 pm
Sorry Tico, I didn't see your earlier post.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
Any confirmation yet of the relationship between Moore and this man?

The Fox link JW presented didn't offer anything different than the Ohioans for Concealed Carry link did. As far as I can tell, the two just link back and forth to each other in this case.

errrrrrr, Phoenix, you might want to make sure you get confirmation on anything you pick up from that OfCC link I posted, before you reference any of it as factual.
0 Replies