The Statue Wars Begin

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 07:31 am
http://abc13.com/2320244/

This is a link to a story about a Christopher Columbus statue getting defaced. I have noticed a spate of news articles about non Civil War statues attacked, since the protesters started in on confederate statues. Even the Lincoln Memorial is not immune.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 17,113 • Replies: 362

izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Nobody's immune, even those figures who have supposedly risen above party politics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/740000/images/_740524_statue300.jpg

Even now it's debatable as to whether those who punked Churchill were attacking an imperialist or claiming a prominent anti fascist as one of their own.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:07 am

I would oppose anyone who wished to take down a statue of Washington. As for Lee, Jackson, Beauregard and the rest of those traitors, I'd help to haul them down. They were forsworn of their oath to preserve, protect and defend the constitution (much like President Plump, who is forsworn, however, just because he's so stupid). They made war on their own nation to preserve the institution of slavery. They're scum.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:27 am
@edgarblythe,
I think its gonna be interesting on Monument Ave in Richmond. Theres such a mix of all kinds of stoshuary an taking out a CSA in between the Washingtons and CHies Tecumseh. Its gonna be noticed. I can see a lot of bromze becoming available for statues ofTrumptydumpty
0 Replies

seac

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe removing statues have become the new trend for expressing discontent. Who knows what will be next. People are becoming their worst enemies for free speech. Having memorial symbols in public is a form of free speech in my opinion.
centrox

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:09 pm
@seac,
seac wrote:

Maybe removing statues have become the new trend for expressing discontent. Who knows what will be next. People are becoming their worst enemies for free speech. Having memorial symbols in public is a form of free speech in my opinion.

There are limits to so-called "free speech" in any societies, even those where it is fetishised. In Austria, Germany, Spain, etc, they have been removing memorials to Hitler and Franco (both dictators). Many people see Confederate monuments, the flag, etc, in a similar light (slavery, ever heard of that?) - not just historically but as a rallying point for murderous domestic terrorism. The "free speech" rights (if there are any) of the pro-statue or monument people have to be balanced against those of the victims, and the benefits to society. This is the type of decision that is frequently made in democratic societies.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:30 pm
Remember the Alamo? (and should we tear that down?).
centrox

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:36 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Remember the Alamo? (and should we tear that down?).

Yup. Turn it into a mall.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:50 pm
@centrox,
Oh boy, remember the Vietnam War? Did we really have to fight in that one? So many memorials on it and what if some group decides it is a disgrace to our country.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:54 pm
...and there goes former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Roger Taney's statue. It has been removed from The Maryland State House.

www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/maryland/2017/08/18/roger-b-taney-statue-removed-md-state-house/579188001/

Roger Taney authored the final decision on the Deed Scott v John Sandford.

This was the 1857 ruling that said negroes were not citizens and therefore had no rights to bring a case before the Supreme Court. It should also be noted that the final vote by the Justices was 7-2, so, there should be four more statues that must be removed nationwide.

Also to be noted, by so ruling, The Missouri Compromise was negated.
Below viewing threshold (view)
centrox

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:56 pm
@seac,
seac wrote:

Oh boy, remember the Vietnam War? Did we really have to fight in that one? So many memorials on it and what if some group decides it is a disgrace to our country.

You are being deliberately obtuse. Most if not all Confederate memorials were put up decades after the Civil War during the Jim Crow era, and were (and are) prized symbols of white ('cracker') domination. Slavery is too big to brush over. or to be dismissed as a concern of "some group". Nor is far-right domestic terrorism. Anyhow the Confederates who were memorialized were fighting, as rebels and, arguably, traitors, for a racist wannabe state, against the lawful government.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:57 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
...and there goes former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Roger Taney's statue. It has been removed from The Maryland State House.

Good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 02:07 pm
Taney also struck down Lincoln's first emancipation order--talk about fighting in the last ditch.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 02:13 pm
About a decade ago, City Hall here approved the erection of a series of statues commemorating historical figures of the Southwest. One is an enormous statue of Juan de Oñate, purported to be the largest bronze equestrian statue in the world. People protested the statue seeing as how Oñate was not a progressive kind of conquistador and brutally oppressed the indigenous peoples he conquered, but only managed to get the statue's official unveiling at El Paso International Airport cancelled and name changed from Juan de Oñate to the generic The Equestrian.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWqGgerdBJO_MbxgA8PLevKjUe5emMSQvLUyX1filp3vBDK2uS
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 02:19 pm
@InfraBlue,
Does that imply that some other conquistador was a progressive kind of conquistador? (You learn something new every day.)
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 02:29 pm
@maxdancona,
not very "conquistadorial" is he?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 02:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Sure, I don't know of any, however.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 03:01 pm
Should the Vatican change the name Roman Catholicism to Latin Catholicism, since Romans made slaves of all who they conquered? From my background I'm not enamored with anything with the word Roman in it. And that collar that priests wear can become Latin collars. And, since we are erasing "history," we can change history to herstory.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 03:48 pm
Statues of hate. Let's get those out first. The rest should come on a case by case basis.