The Statue Wars Begin

cameronleon

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 03:51 pm
The US Constitution was made by white supremacists who became wealthy thanks to slavery and forcing the American aborigines to live in lands called Reservations.

Who will be the liberal going to DC to destroy the US Constitution?

The whole thing about destroying statues is a terrible joke when the intention is looking for "social equality".

Rather than destroying those statues, give me the address and I will remove them for free and post them in my backyard.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 03:53 pm
@cameronleon,
Sure you will, piled mountain high, to get them all in.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 04:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Statues of hate. Let's get those out first. The rest should come on a case by case basis.

There could be a tribunal set up, like the Truth and Reconcilation Commission in South Africa, or measures like the Historical Memory Law in Spain, which, among other things provides for...
Quote:
The removal of francoist symbols from public buildings and spaces. Exceptions may be given for artistic or architectural reasons, or in the case of religious spaces.

Also there are moves in Northern Ireland to establish a truth commission to
Quote:
deliver range of judicial and non-judicial processes that are necessary to deliver truth, justice, accountability and redress

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 07:02 pm
Sounds like the kind of thing ISIS and the Taliban would do.

Iraq churches, mosques under ISIL attack

Jesse Jackson has already suggested we rid ourselves of the Jefferson Memorial. Way to go guys.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 07:30 pm
Distractions from the matter of Confederate statues will not alter the fact people are going after them.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 07:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm uncomfortable re smashing historic items, at the same time the world has layers and layers of horrid history.

I've considered that museums or some such could be places for resting racist art works that some may like just as nice statues, part of their history, etc. But, that in itself would be more promotion.

I will toot toot if I figure out my own thinking.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Most of the statues will end up in museums, if people refrain from smashing them. I personally don't think they merit saving, because they were built as part of the resistance to a burgeoning civil rights movement, part of keeping Jim Crow alive, in a passive/aggressive way. But I would not resist the museum movement, because I would not have to pay to house or view them.
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:02 pm
@McGentrix,
Thanks for witlessly lumping together everyone whom you do not agree with. Jesse Jackson does not speak for me, he never has and he never will. So drop the "way to go guys" BS.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:05 pm
@cameronleon,
Ah yes, history is so easy if you just adopt a simple-minded narrative which bears the same resemblance to actual history that Christian Science does to actual science. Most of the framers were not slave-owners. Slavery did not enrich the United States, and actually enriched precious few slave owners. There were no reservations in 1788. The exclusion and enclosure of aboriginal populations did not begin until the Andrew Jackson administration after 1828. Oh but it is so much easier to rant if one doesn't have to deal with actual fact.
cameronleon

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:20 pm
@Setanta,
They also were white supremacists...

just accept it.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm thinking of the Campidoglio horse with Marcus Aurelius atop.
It's been years since I've read his Meditations, still have the small book, but this is a man and a statue I have liked. If I remember, I think I saw the original on first visit, and then that was glassed in with a copy back in the piazza. Don't trust me on that, might be wishful thinking combined with faulty memory of that first visit.

This makes me cautious about what we toss.

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ah, here, I remembered correctly..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrian_Statue_of_Marcus_Aurelius
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 09:01 pm
@ossobucotemp,
But putting them in museums is preserving, not tossing.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I said that..
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:14 pm
We just can't stand it that most of our "heroes" have feet of clay.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:24 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I said that..

I missed that part.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 02:16 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Most of the statues will end up in museums, if people refrain from smashing them. I personally don't think they merit saving, because they were built as part of the resistance to a burgeoning civil rights movement, part of keeping Jim Crow alive, in a passive/aggressive way. But I would not resist the museum movement, because I would not have to pay to house or view them.

They have historical value; they document a certain movement, era, etc. So indeed they merit saving and should be kept in museums.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 02:21 am
@cameronleon,
And why not? Mayors of the concerned cities may even sell them on ebay. Might as well make some money out of them.

Some people in the ex USSR saved Stalin statues too. I almost bought one once, with the idea to repaint it in white with red dots, as a sort of pseudo artistic joke, but it was too expensive for me.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 04:04 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I personally don't think they merit saving, because they were built as part of the resistance to a burgeoning civil rights movement, part of keeping Jim Crow alive, in a passive/aggressive way.

This. ++++++
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 04:05 am
Do they still have cigar-store Indians? And lawn jockeys? What would happen to these nowadays?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Lawn_jockey.jpg/340px-Lawn_jockey.jpg

0 Replies