Special Counsel for Russia Election Interference: Robert Mueller.

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 05:22 pm
Yep, it just happened. We now have an independent investigator charged with finding out how deep Russia's influence on our election was, and whether any of Trump's staff colluded with them.

I have two immediate thoughts.

- I can't think of a better person to lead this election than Robert Mueller. He comes with a spotless reputation, proprietorial experience and respect from all sides.

- The role of Rod Rosenstein (deputy Attorney General) is a very interesting story. He resented his role in Comey's firing, and was in the position to do the right thing. I wonder how the next meeting with Trump and Sessions is going to go.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 26 • Views: 18,617 • Replies: 210

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 06:03 pm
@maxdancona,
The thot plickens.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 06:30 pm
@maxdancona,
I agree.
We are also talking about it over on Blatham's Trump thread.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 03:12 am
This investigation has been going on for quite a while. What have they found so far?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 03:27 am
@Brandon9000,
Enough to get Flynn sacked, for Sessions to recuse himself and for a panic stricken Trump to dismiss Comey and subsequently threaten him. No smoke without fire, and there's enough smoke to keep us in kippers for the rest of the millennium.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 04:58 am
@Brandon9000,
There is a general consensus that Russia meddled in the US election. This is a pretty big deal, and no one is seriously contesting this fact (other than Trump and Putin).

We don't know what else they have found so far. Prosecutors generally keep their cards close to the vest until they are ready to charge. What the public knows is that members of Congress in the intelligence committee are taking this seriously.

The big question is whether anyone on the Trump campaign colluded with Russia during the election. Of course we don't know what they have on this yet... but the FBI was certainly taking this question seriously.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 05:01 am
@oralloy,
You aren't being logical Oralloy.
revelette1

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 07:53 am
@Brandon9000,
Everything we know so far about Trump and the Russia investigation (LAT)
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 12:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
You aren't being logical Oralloy.

Sure I am. It is perfectly reasonable to prosecute you guys when you commit crimes.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 12:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
There is a general consensus that Russia meddled in the US election. This is a pretty big deal, and no one is seriously contesting this fact (other than Trump and Putin).

Come now. You guys don't care about Russia. You guys were trying to help Russia defeat the US during the Cold War. And just recently you were all sneering at Mitt Romney for saying Russia was still a threat.

You just want to use Russia as a way to harm innocent people in the Trump Administration.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 06:24 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Enough to get Flynn sacked, for Sessions to recuse himself and for a panic stricken Trump to dismiss Comey and subsequently threaten him. No smoke without fire, and there's enough smoke to keep us in kippers for the rest of the millennium.

And yet you don't tell us even one result from the investigation.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 06:26 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

We don't know what else they have found so far. Prosecutors generally keep their cards close to the vest until they are ready to charge. What the public knows is that members of Congress in the intelligence committee are taking this seriously.

The big question is whether anyone on the Trump campaign colluded with Russia during the election. Of course we don't know what they have on this yet... but the FBI was certainly taking this question seriously.

Tell me one single improper thing that any member of the Trump team ever said to any Russian person. If you cannot quote, then paraphrase.
Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 06:35 pm
Word is that Russia might have paid people to go online at various internet sites and say negative things about Clinton.

That's ABSOLUTELY INTOLERABLE. I'm sure glad that no republican or democrat would ever "interfere" with our elections in that hideous way.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 06:50 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Tell me one single improper thing that any member of the Trump team ever said to any Russian person. If you cannot quote, then paraphrase.

Read my post Brandon. I said "The big question is whether anyone on the Trump campaign colluded with Russia during the election." I don't know all the information. There are people who know more than I do (including possibly the FBI investigators).

That is why we now have a special counsel... it is an investigation.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 07:59 pm
@maxdancona,
No. The only thing being investigated is whether there are any minor transgressions that people in the Trump Administration can be lynched over.

You don't care about contacts with Russia.

And the sooner Trump loses patience with your witch hunt, the sooner we can start prosecuting you guys for all the crimes you've committed.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 08:16 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
No. The only thing being investigated is whether there are any minor transgressions that people in the Trump Administration can be lynched over.

My concern is that people working on the Trump campaign talked to Russian diplomats or other agents about helping Trump get elected.

Let me ask you the question Oralloy. If it turns out that the Trump campaign requested help from Russian diplomats to get intelligence and cooperate on messaging on how to win the election.... would you change your mind?

This seems like a big deal to me (if it is true).

If you are arguing that it isn't true or isn't worth investigating... that is one thing.

If you are arguing that ties between the Trump campaign and Russia wouldn't be a big deal if it were true... I disagree with you most strongly.

I guess the question I am asking is whether it would be possible for you to overcome your partisan ideology if and when the facts warrant it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 08:19 pm
@oralloy,
For the record, when Bill Clinton was impeached, I not only supported the investigation... I thought at the time he should have resigned or been replaced.

I initially supported Bill Clinton, when the evidence became clear that he had broken the law... I quickly changed my mind. I remember when this happened, it was shortly after the blue dress surfaced and Bill Clinton lied on national TV.

So this isn't partisan for me. If Trump broke the law, he should be impeached. And if someone on his campaign colluded with Russia... that is a big deal no matter which party he is on.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 09:03 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
For the record, when Bill Clinton was impeached, I not only supported the investigation... I thought at the time he should have resigned or been replaced.

I initially supported Bill Clinton, when the evidence became clear that he had broken the law... I quickly changed my mind. I remember when this happened, it was shortly after the blue dress surfaced and Bill Clinton lied on national TV.

Good for you. I hope you recognize though that the majority of the Democratic Party was (and is) not so enlightened.

maxdancona wrote:
So this isn't partisan for me. If Trump broke the law, he should be impeached.

But he didn't break the law.

maxdancona wrote:
And if someone on his campaign colluded with Russia... that is a big deal no matter which party he is on.

Why is that a big deal? The only crime was their failure to register as foreign agents.