Special Counsel for Russia Election Interference: Robert Mueller.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 05:43 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Colluding with Russia is not, under America’s criminal codes, a crime. It’s just not there.

Perhaps someday Congress will pass a law criminalizing such conduct in political campaigns. But for now, there is not a single statute outlawing collaboration with a foreign government in a U.S. presidential election. Or any election, for that matter.

I am going enjoying hearing GOP elected officials making the argument that colluding with Russia to win an American election is not a crime. Voters will love to hear that.

I imagine that the nature of the "collaboration" might be important. The Watergate scandal started with a break in to steal information from the DNC to help an election campaign. The impeachment that never happened would have revolved around obstruction of justice.

I don't think this is a great political argument. I would love to see Republicans try to make it.
layman

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 05:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't think this is a great political argument. I would love to see Republicans try to make it.

Heh. Oh, so you think it's a big-ass POLITICAL issue, eh?

As I also posted in another thread: Anybody who thinks a Republican congress is gunna "impeach" Trump (which requires a showing that "high crimes" have been committed), for doin something that aint even illegal is just plumb wack.

Nice try, cheese-eater.

What's gunna politically kill the cheese-eaters is their insistence (as I've heard about 10,000 of them claim) that this is "an impeachable offense."
maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 05:54 pm
@layman,
Of course it is political. Impeachment is a political process that is conducted by politicians for politicians. That's just reality.

That doesn't change the facts of whether what Trump did is illegal or not. Whether what Trump or any of his campaign did was illegal, neither you nor I are in a position to make that judgment. That decision will be made by Robert Mueller (who happens to be a Republican).

As I have said, I don't want Trump to be impeached. I am enjoying his presidency immensely and I think he will do more good than harm. I want him around for the full 4 years.
layman

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 06:01 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Of course it is political. Impeachment is a political process that is conducted by politicians for politicians. That's just reality.

You ignore what I said about impeachment. I also added a short addendum to that last post. Politically, this is gunna kill the cheese-eaters. Wait, that might not be possible now--they're dead already.

Quote:
That doesn't change the facts of whether what Trump did is illegal or not. Whether what Trump or any of his campaign did was illegal, neither you nor I are in a position to make that judgment. That decision will be made by Robert Mueller (who happens to be a Republican).

1. No, that is decision that could only be made by a jury. I know that cheese-eaters think that Obama, an executive, had the final say about what is legal, but.....

2. Mueller has been charged with investigating "possible collusion." This is not even a question of "facts." This is a question of LAW, and nothing is criminal unless a specific law says so. Jarrett made that clear. You should work on improving your reading comprehension, eh, Max?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 06:07 pm
@layman,
Other the fact that I eat cheese (a fact to which I freely admit), I don't get your point.

Robert Mueller was appointed, using the authority granted under Federal law, to investigate. He was given a legal mandate by a Republican appointee of the Trump administration.

And he will investigate according to his mandate.

What is your point?
McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 06:10 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Colluding with Russia is not, under America’s criminal codes, a crime. It’s just not there.

Perhaps someday Congress will pass a law criminalizing such conduct in political campaigns. But for now, there is not a single statute outlawing collaboration with a foreign government in a U.S. presidential election. Or any election, for that matter.

I am going enjoying hearing GOP elected officials making the argument that colluding with Russia to win an American election is not a crime. Voters will love to hear that.

I imagine that the nature of the "collaboration" might be important. The Watergate scandal started with a break in to steal information from the DNC to help an election campaign. The impeachment that never happened would have revolved around obstruction of justice.

I don't think you are reading that right. You are assuming guilt where none exists. What Jarrett is saying is that there would be no crime to find even if there was collusion between the Trump administration and the Russians.

I am sure you are enjoying it though. Just remember how the Obama witch hunt felt and then imagine what the next Democrat President will have to deal with...
layman

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 06:10 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What is your point?

The "point" is clearly stated by Jarrett. As I said, you should work on improving your reading comprehension.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 06:16 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It's not a "GOP argument," it's the law. What voters "love to hear" is irrelevant, but, that said, yes they will LOVE hearing that no crime has been committed.

But I'm only talking about Americans, not subversive, traitorous, commie-ass cheese-eaters who happen to reside in America, of course.

You have previously made your contempt for laws (or lack thereof) that you don't like quite clear. But, guess what? You aint the federal code.

We live in a democracy, not a Maxocracy, eh? Tough break for your authoritarian ambitions, I know, but....
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:23 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
sounds like the Brownshorts live. Why not round up everyone who has a little Democrat in them and just develop some kind of final solution

The Democrats have been a cancer on America for some time now, but now the Democrats are actually trying to lynch an innocent president on accusations that the Democrats have fabricated themselves.

Clearly that is more than ample justification for outlawing the Democratic Party.
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Wow, in many other fora, you could get bounced for preaching violence and hate like that. have you EVER read the US Constitution? (I think not because its too "snowflakey" for you brownshorts)

I wouldnt go getting serious with your brownshorts friends.

I don't think the Constitution prohibits outlawing an organization that tries to lynch innocent people on fabricated charges.

The Democratic Party is such an organization.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:25 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
Disgusting, isn't it? Definitely low-class. Decent people (such as Finn and others) don't engage in this sort of rhetoric. It's beneath them.

Those of us who FIGHT for what is right often have to do UNKIND things to bad people. Fighting isn't about being nice to someone, even when you are fighting for a just cause.

I'm sorry if my harsh words in defense of innocent people are injuring your poor delicate ears, but the plight of innocent people is going to take precedence over your ears.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:26 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I don't particularly want to hear about the details of anyone's sexual activities; I happen to believe in the concept of personal privacy. However, no one — including the victimized Ms. Lewinsky — has ever suggested that the activities in the Oval Office were non-consensual. Mr. Trump, on the other hand, bragged about his ability to sexually assault women so yes, I do find that a bit more offensive.

I don't think that's a fair characterization of Trump's words. Assuming for a moment that it wasn't just all talk, he was bragging about those women consenting to him doing that to them.

There were allegations of similar acts by Clinton. Kathleen Wiley for instance.

One thing that makes Clinton's behavior an issue is that the feminists had been pushing to have it be made a horrible crime for a superior to have consensual sex with a subordinate. Why should Clinton be exempt from their standard?

Ultimately though, the big problem with the Lewinsky issue was all of the felonies that Bill Clinton committed to cover it up.

It is against the law to commit felonies, even when you are committing the felonies because you want to conceal consensual sex.

hightor wrote:
At some point, it would be nice if every expression of disgust or outrage concerning Mr. Trump's behavior, intellect, character, or political misdeeds weren't answered with the knee jerk response, "Well, Clinton (Obama, LBJ, FDR) did it too and it was worse!"

Well as long as the Democrats keep getting away with crimes and gloating about it, then asking that others be condemned for the same crimes, I think you'll probably have to get used to it.

But at the moment that isn't the primary response to the allegations. The primary response is: It is outrageous for the Democrats to concoct untrue allegations and lynch innocent people over them. The Democratic Party should be outlawed in America.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:28 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I don't think you are reading that right. You are assuming guilt where none exists. What Jarrett is saying is that there would be no crime to find even if there was collusion between the Trump administration and the Russians.

I am sure you are enjoying it though. Just remember how the Obama witch hunt felt and then imagine what the next Democrat President will have to deal with...

Obama didn't suffer a witch hunt from what I remember.

No question though that we need to give the Democrats a very large dose of their own medicine here. Unless we succeed in outlawing the party and just plain getting rid of them.
maporsche

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 09:05 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

but now the Democrats are actually trying to lynch an innocent president on accusations that the Democrats have fabricated themselves.

The Democratic party did not launch the investigation.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 09:23 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Uh, huh. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 09:28 am
@oralloy,
Obama did suffer from what you guys improperly call a "witch hunt", i.e. opposition on every single subject, constant attacks in the media, etc. You guys are quick to forget.
ShojThinks

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 10:54 am
Question is, whose interests are being pursued by Robert Mueller? Political and socioeconomic power plays within elite circles are to be further delved into, if any clarity is to be had...I think...
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 10:59 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

The Democrats created the false accusations and then constantly called for a special prosecutor until someone was weak enough to give in to their witch hunt.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 11:05 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Obama did suffer from what you guys improperly call a "witch hunt", i.e. opposition on every single subject, constant attacks in the media, etc. You guys are quick to forget.

Since it is improper to call it a witch hunt, he didn't suffer a with hunt.

Obama was not opposed on every single subject. That is just nonsense that the Left pushes to excuse his failures as president.

The media tended to adulate Obama. It is Trump who is constantly attacked by the media.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 11:07 am
@ShojThinks,
ShojThinks wrote:
Question is, whose interests are being pursued by Robert Mueller? Political and socioeconomic power plays within elite circles are to be further delved into, if any clarity is to be had...I think...

There already is clarity. The Democrats are making false charges against innocent people in order to try to further their deranged political agenda.
0 Replies