Third Debate: Your Comments

gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The REAL reason insurance rates have gone up is because the insurance companies just aren't making the return they need of off investing the premiums in order to keep the high rate of ROI they are used to. Blaming it on either doctors or lawyers is simply foolish.

Cycloptichorn

I simply can't picture a way for insurance companies to cause Maryland to be facing a loss of 40% of its physicians. That's lawyering.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:26 pm
Quote:
I simply can't picture a way for insurance companies to cause Maryland to be facing a loss of 40% of its physicians. That's lawyering.

No, that's GOUGING. The "tort reform" crap is just a distraction from the whopping benefits insurance companies have gotten under this current administration. Insurance companies are dictating more and more what treatment we can get from our doctors.

It's sick.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:28 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
That IS ridiculous.

The reason the rates have gone up is that the investments made by the insurance companies have tanked.

Severely. Part of it is due to 9/11, part due to poor management.

Most insurance companies break even on the payin-payout flow. You don't even seem to disagree with me on that one.

Here's where you resort to circular logic:

Quote:
Most of the money they take in goes back out in the form of payments to doctors and as staff overhead. Payouts contribute the majority of where the money goes. As doctors rates increase, insurance companies must raise their rates to stay profitable... I know that 's a bad word for liberals, profit, but that why companies stay in business.

So: As doctors rates increase, insurance companies raise rates accordingly.

But WHY are the doctor's rates increasing? Because the INSURANCE has gone up so much in the last few years, and this effects every aspect of the industry, from medicine production to payroll, everything!

So, according to you, the doctor's rates increase, this makes insurance go up, which makes the rates increase, which makes insurance go up.... it's bad logic.

The REAL reason insurance rates have gone up is because the insurance companies just aren't making the return they need of off investing the premiums in order to keep the high rate of ROI they are used to. Blaming it on either doctors or lawyers is simply foolish.

Cycloptichorn

You understand the difference between a health insurance company and a malpractice insurance company right? You understand they are not the same, yes?

I have worked in the insurance field in the past and I know where the money goes. The profit margin just isn't that great. I honestly can't believe you wrote what you just did cycloptichorn. Dookiestix, yeah, but you are usually more astute than this.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:
C'mon JustWonders! Get your head out of the clouds. What could Paul Rubin know about anything? He is obviously nothing more than a Republican shill. He works for Emory University for gosh sakes!

Well McGentrix, you've finally said something which is fact, albeit in a sarcastic tone.

Rubin is on the CBOs tort reform team appointed bu Bush. he was also on Regans Economic advisor list. Read the bio's before you start saying the truth.

Quote:
Paul H. Rubin is the Samuel Candler Dobbs Professor of Economics in the Economics Department of Emory University and a Professor of Law and Economics at the School of Law.

Professor Rubin was Senior Economist at the Council of Economic Advisers under President Reagan, Director of Advertising Economics at the Federal Trade Commission, and Vice-President of Glassman-Oliver Economic Consultants, Inc., a litigation consulting firm in Washington.

Nope, no bias here, just don't look at my teachings or position Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:39 pm
Okay, McG, are you claiming that insurance companies do not make their money off of investing the premiums they take in? Because, yaknow, that's how insurance works.

Here, read for yourself:

Quote:
Medical Malpractice
The AMA does the insurance industry's bidding
by Paul Waldman, Editor-in-Chief

The nation's malpractice attorneys just dodged a bullet: it will not, as it turns out, be the official policy of the American Medical Association to deny them and their spouses medical care. At the AMA's annual meeting in Chicago, the most controversial proposal was one to do just that. After some bad publicity, the proposal was denounced, and the doctor who proposed it, J. Chris Hawk of South Carolina, asked that it be withdrawn.

But while Dr. Hawk's idea may have struck the assembled doctors as going too far, the fact remains that the organization representing America's doctors - and many of their rank-and-file - have decided that nothing is more important than making sure that victims of medical malpractice can't recover more than a limited sum for their pain and suffering. As the AMA's web site proclaims, "Medical Liability Reform is AMA's No. 1 Legislative Priority." Call me naïve, but I would have thought some other issues - like, say, providing health insurance for the 44 million Americans who don't have it - might rank higher.

But the AMA has decided two things: first, there is a medical malpractice insurance crisis in America, and second, the only thing that will solve the problem is capping the amount that people can be awarded in a successful lawsuit against a doctor to $250,000 in non-economic (i.e. pain and suffering) damages. The association supplies doctors with a "Physician Action Kit" with talking points and ways to influence their patients, including sample letters and wall posters advocating damage caps.

Why is the AMA stuck on damage caps? Simply put, they've gotten in bed with the insurance industry to play America's doctors for suckers.

A 2002 report by a congressional advisory commission reported that on average physicians pay only 3% of their revenue for malpractice insurance. Even in OB-GYN, the specialty with the highest rates, doctors paid only 6.7% of their revenue for insurance. Nonetheless, malpractice insurance costs have risen dramatically in the past few years.

The insurance industry has convinced doctors that the reason is out-of-control jury awards in medical malpractice cases. But the facts tell a different story. According to a 2003 study by USA Today, less than 2% of malpractice claims result in a winning trial verdict. And while the amounts paid in malpractice claims have risen at the same rate as medical costs generally, the rates insurers charge doctors for coverage doesn't have anything to do with lawsuits.

So what determines malpractice insurance rates? The economy, or more specifically, the stock and bond markets. When insurance companies' investments in stocks and bonds make them lots of money - as they did in the 1990s - they lower premiums on doctors. When they don't make as much - as they haven't in the Bush economy - they raise premiums. (You can read more about this here.)

Since there's nothing insurance companies like less than paying out claims, they love the idea of capping damage awards. But they also knew that an insurance company trying to keep victimized patients from getting compensation doesn't present the most sympathetic face in a political debate. So they knew what they had to do: get doctors to carry water for them.

So they enlisted the support of the AMA; the AMA tells its members that their high premiums are caused by lawsuits; and the doctors tell their patients that unless they get on board with damage caps, their doctors will go out of business.

Completing the circle are the Republican legislators who pass laws limiting medical liability, which are now on the books in many states (and no, these laws haven't resulted in lower premiums). Despite their alleged devotion to the principle of personal responsibility, these legislators believe that doctors shouldn't be responsible when they make deadly mistakes.

As many as 98,000 Americans die each year as a result of medical errors. And the kinds of errors that result in malpractice lawsuits aren't inevitable; a study by Public Citizen found that 5% of all doctors are responsible for over half the malpractice claims in the United States. They found doctors who had dozens of malpractice claims lodged against them yet were never disciplined by their states' medical boards. If the medical community would do something about the incompetents in its ranks, the number of malpractice cases - and the number of patients injured and killed - would fall dramatically.

Yet the AMA and the insurance industry want us to believe that the real problem is with the patients. The AMA has worked against the interests of patients before - after all, they opposed the creation of Medicare, joined with Republicans to kill Bill Clinton's health care plan in 1993 (which, despite its many flaws, would have tackled the problem of the uninsured), and supported the recent Pharmaceutical Industry Profit Maximization Act, also known as the Medicare prescription drug bill. And with their laser-like focus on limiting medical liability, the AMA has turned itself into the medical arm of the GOP.

For those who didn't read the article: the rates of malpractice insurance are tied to stock and bond performance, NOT to malpractice claims! Under the Bush economy, stocks and bonds haven't done so well (part of this is because of 9/11, part because voodoo economics doesn't work) and THAT'S why rates go up.

The 'malpractice' argument is pure bullsh*t. The amount of money paid out for malpractice doesn't even come close to the amount put into investments.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:39 pm
McG claims to have worked in the Insurance industry in the past ... but found the profit margins low.
Apparently, he then moved on to some other field.

What would that be... Cable TV, Pharmaceuticals, Energy, Investment Consultation, Politics ( Telemarketing)?

Noble rackets all... with tidy profit margins.

Just ask Mr. Cheney.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:41 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Spoken like a true blind man.

Insurance liability is BELOW 1% of the TOTAL cost of health care, yet premiums went up 17% last year.

Get with the program and debate the issues, you're just spewing rhetoric you hear all day on Rush, it's all propaganda and you've bought into it. With a country full of people like you, it's no wonder how Hitler came to power.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
Me thinks McGentrix has got some 'splainin' to do...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:45 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Okay, McG, are you claiming that insurance companies do not make their money off of investing the premiums they take in? Because, yaknow, that's how insurance works.

Here, read for yourself:

Quote:
Medical Malpractice
The AMA does the insurance industry's bidding
by Paul Waldman, Editor-in-Chief

The nation's malpractice attorneys just dodged a bullet: it will not, as it turns out, be the official policy of the American Medical Association to deny them and their spouses medical care. At the AMA's annual meeting in Chicago, the most controversial proposal was one to do just that. After some bad publicity, the proposal was denounced, and the doctor who proposed it, J. Chris Hawk of South Carolina, asked that it be withdrawn.

But while Dr. Hawk's idea may have struck the assembled doctors as going too far, the fact remains that the organization representing America's doctors - and many of their rank-and-file - have decided that nothing is more important than making sure that victims of medical malpractice can't recover more than a limited sum for their pain and suffering. As the AMA's web site proclaims, "Medical Liability Reform is AMA's No. 1 Legislative Priority." Call me naïve, but I would have thought some other issues - like, say, providing health insurance for the 44 million Americans who don't have it - might rank higher.

But the AMA has decided two things: first, there is a medical malpractice insurance crisis in America, and second, the only thing that will solve the problem is capping the amount that people can be awarded in a successful lawsuit against a doctor to $250,000 in non-economic (i.e. pain and suffering) damages. The association supplies doctors with a "Physician Action Kit" with talking points and ways to influence their patients, including sample letters and wall posters advocating damage caps.

Why is the AMA stuck on damage caps? Simply put, they've gotten in bed with the insurance industry to play America's doctors for suckers.

A 2002 report by a congressional advisory commission reported that on average physicians pay only 3% of their revenue for malpractice insurance. Even in OB-GYN, the specialty with the highest rates, doctors paid only 6.7% of their revenue for insurance. Nonetheless, malpractice insurance costs have risen dramatically in the past few years.

The insurance industry has convinced doctors that the reason is out-of-control jury awards in medical malpractice cases. But the facts tell a different story. According to a 2003 study by USA Today, less than 2% of malpractice claims result in a winning trial verdict. And while the amounts paid in malpractice claims have risen at the same rate as medical costs generally, the rates insurers charge doctors for coverage doesn't have anything to do with lawsuits.

So what determines malpractice insurance rates? The economy, or more specifically, the stock and bond markets. When insurance companies' investments in stocks and bonds make them lots of money - as they did in the 1990s - they lower premiums on doctors. When they don't make as much - as they haven't in the Bush economy - they raise premiums. (You can read more about this here.)

Since there's nothing insurance companies like less than paying out claims, they love the idea of capping damage awards. But they also knew that an insurance company trying to keep victimized patients from getting compensation doesn't present the most sympathetic face in a political debate. So they knew what they had to do: get doctors to carry water for them.

So they enlisted the support of the AMA; the AMA tells its members that their high premiums are caused by lawsuits; and the doctors tell their patients that unless they get on board with damage caps, their doctors will go out of business.

Completing the circle are the Republican legislators who pass laws limiting medical liability, which are now on the books in many states (and no, these laws haven't resulted in lower premiums). Despite their alleged devotion to the principle of personal responsibility, these legislators believe that doctors shouldn't be responsible when they make deadly mistakes.

As many as 98,000 Americans die each year as a result of medical errors. And the kinds of errors that result in malpractice lawsuits aren't inevitable; a study by Public Citizen found that 5% of all doctors are responsible for over half the malpractice claims in the United States. They found doctors who had dozens of malpractice claims lodged against them yet were never disciplined by their states' medical boards. If the medical community would do something about the incompetents in its ranks, the number of malpractice cases - and the number of patients injured and killed - would fall dramatically.

Yet the AMA and the insurance industry want us to believe that the real problem is with the patients. The AMA has worked against the interests of patients before - after all, they opposed the creation of Medicare, joined with Republicans to kill Bill Clinton's health care plan in 1993 (which, despite its many flaws, would have tackled the problem of the uninsured), and supported the recent Pharmaceutical Industry Profit Maximization Act, also known as the Medicare prescription drug bill. And with their laser-like focus on limiting medical liability, the AMA has turned itself into the medical arm of the GOP.

For those who didn't read the article: the rates of malpractice insurance are tied to stock and bond performance, NOT to malpractice claims! Under the Bush economy, stocks and bonds haven't done so well (part of this is because of 9/11, part because voodoo economics doesn't work) and THAT'S why rates go up.

The 'malpractice' argument is pure bullsh*t. The amount of money paid out for malpractice doesn't even come close to the amount put into investments.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Link?

Is this the Paul Waldman that wrote this bit of BS?

Quote:
Paul Waldman is the Editor-in-Chief of The Gadflyer. Formerly the associate director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center, Waldman is the co-author of The Press Effect: Politicians, Journalists, and the Stories That Shape the Political World (Oxford University Press, 2002) and the co-editor of Electing the President 2000: The Insiders' View (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2001). His writing has also been featured in the American Prospect, the Washington Post, and Salon.com, as well as many scholarly journals. Waldman's latest book, Fraud: The Strategy Behind the Bush Lies and Why The Media Didn't Tell You, was released in early 2004.

I believe it was Joe Republican that claimed biased sources really can't be trusted. Especially opinion pieces like the one quoted here.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
It's only BS to those who believe ALL those Bush lies.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:51 pm
His personal opinions have nothing to do with the reality of how the insurance industry MAKES MONEY....

But, shoot the messenger, I understand, it's about what I expected...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:54 pm
Debating point to McG about the bias thing ... if you won't accept a source you consider biased from the other side, dont offer a source thats biased the other way around in response.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:54 pm
Shoot the messenger? I'm still waiting for a link so I can know who the messenger is.

Read this debate.

link
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:01 pm
Sh*t, I forgot to link! I hate it when that happens.

http://gadflyer.com/articles/?ArticleID=135

I did read your debate. And I believe that both sides have good points; medical malpractice is a field that needs reform, noone is saying it doesn't. Kerry even talked (in two debates) about a good plan for limiting frivolous lawsuits.

But, within that debate was my argument, supported, which claims that a significant amount of loss has been seen by the INVESTMENTS of the insurance companies.

Quote:
But is that the reason why premiums are rising so much? No, says Jamie Court. Court directs the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights. He says the reason isn't huge jury awards and frivolous lawsuits; it's business practices on the part of insurance companies.

Mr. JAMIE COURT (Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights): Insurance companies gamble. They gamble on Wall Street, and that's how they make most of their money. And when investment opportunities are good on Wall Street, when the rate of return is 30 percent a year, malpractice insurers will cut their rates very low.

NEIGHMOND: In order to attract more customers. But when investments are off, either in stocks or bonds, and insurers lose money, Court says companies do a turn-about.

Mr. COURT: They have to compensate for those investment losses by raising premiums dramatically, particularly because they've been lowering them when investment rates are good. So premiums can skyrocket for many physicians by 20, 30 percent a year. In the worst specialties, maybe it's a hundred percent.

That's a pretty big raise. Way bigger than just frivolous lawsuits...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
And, like I said, insurance companies have to have 15% of their TOTAL NET WORTH liquid. That means they have investments.

When they lose that money, they are required by law, to regain it.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:07 pm
So, is McGentrix only blaming Doctors AND lawyers for this and NOT the insurance industry whatsoever?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:09 pm
Stay out of the dookie, the grown-ups are talking now.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:09 pm
So you agree with me, the Insurance premiums rising has at least part to do with their bad investments over the last few years, McG?

They are required by law to keep that 15%, I understand. They weren't required to lose the money that made them raise rates to meet that figure.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:17 pm
I think it's due to the market correction in the late 90's. They invest that money very carefully. But, that is not the sole reason health insurance rates have been going up.

Doctors have been seeing their malpractice insurance rates go up and up and up. It's risky to be a doctor. That means they have to raise their rates to be able to afford the lifestyle they choose and to keep paying their premiums. Unless doctors start charging patients cash, have them sign waivers and then perform, there will be no end to the lawyers feeding on the victims.

All three groups are to blame. Their are no innocents in this game. Insurance companies are businesses like any other business. They want to make a profit. Doctors want to get paid so they can play golf at the exclusive reorts and lawyers want their 20% of the multi-million dollar malpractice lawsuits they bring forth until they hit the lottery and win.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:22 pm
The success of the "Fantasy" genre of writing is dependent upon the audience's willingness to "suspend disbelief".

The Fantasy genre of Politics has the same requirement...
0 Replies