Third Debate: Your Comments

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:38 am
georgeob wrote:
Quote:
Bush explained that he wanted the amendment to restrain judges from further action creating "rights" that are not found in the constitution, for protected classes of people -- and doing so in defiance of the wishes of the people as democratically expressed through their legislatures. No hypocrisy there.

George,

Bush can explain this all day long into eternity. Judges are interpreting the Constitution, as Bush indicated he wants from judges. It seems he wants to call this activity "creating rights" or "legislating from the bench" when he doesn't agree with the interpretation.

I remember, as long ago as it's been, that when I was in high school Civics class, I was taught that there is something called "balance of power" built into our democratic government. Judges are appointed and not elected for a reason. So they can interpret the laws and the Constitution.

The religious right and those Republicans they control (of note, George Bush) should quit whining when they don't like the court's decision. They're organized to get their candidate elected. That's the way the voters control the decisions from the bench. It seems a basic tenet of our governmental system. And it's a powerful influence the voters have over the courts. So we'll see which interpretation the voters prefer on Nov. 2.

Are you really suggesting the the Supreme Court justices should interpret the Constitution based on their understanding of the wishes of the people as "democratically expressed through their legislatures?" Isn't the Supreme Court's mandate to make the final, over riding decision about the intention of the Constitution? I didn't hear Bush complaining when they appointed him president.

...............And uh.........PrincessP............nice avatar.......
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
Lash wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Lash wrote:
Mary Beth Cahill (Kerry's chief strategist)characterized it as an attack. She said Mary Cheney is a public figure and, as such, is fair game.

The benficiary of a compliment is not described as "fair game".

Children of politicians shouldn't be used against their parents, no matter what the issue.

your party has smear attacks down to a science....so they need to quit whining if they think they've been on the receiving end of one.....no one likes a whiner....live by the sword.......

The RNC nor Bushco has attacked Algore's alkie son, Dean's theft by taking son, or anyone else's children. There is a difference in whining and calling someone out for a low attack against a candidate's child.

and I recall many petty remarks about Amy Carter and Chelsea Clinton not being attractive...
Not by the RNC or a candidate. If you want to blame Bush for everything said in the public forum, I guess the DNC will be brought up on charges for the Unions attacking Republican campaign HQ..

the smear on McCain in 2000
Forget exactly what was said. You may get this one.

....the unwarranted smear of Max Cleland
His record was examined. He was only smeared by Coulter, that I know of. Not the RNC or Bush. Bush commended Cleland's service.
...the thinly veiled innuendo about Kerry and Edwards being "queer" for each other after Edwards was announced as VP candidate?
Hell, they always looked like they were about to tongue each other. Go after Leno and Conan on this one. And the JibJob brothers, who put them in bed together in their cartoon!!

The further slurs on their manhood over the "sensitive war" remark? That was done by Cheney himself. Cut the pissing and moaning folks and don't dish it out if you can't take it.

That was directed at Kerry--in response to his own statement. Not one of his kids. Gutter politics.

boo hoo boo hoo....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:49 am
Don't cry squinney, it's only four more years.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:52 am
Well, I guess the Dems are compassionate to gays when it suits them--and guts them in public for their own expediency.

Fair weather and conditional tolerance. The Hallmark of the Democrat Party.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:55 am
Actually, that was Bear posting on my computer. The above was NOT my post.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:58 am
Glad to hear it, squinney.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:01 am
oh and I did think Kerry won all three debates, as a large majority of voters seem to think as well. He was consistently himself, presidential. With his opponent, we had the Three Faces of Bush.

This from the October 11th issue of Time Mag, p. 29:

Quote:
But Kerry is clearly benefiting as well from, of all things, the very attacks that had battered him in the first place. For months Kerry has been caricatured as a weak lefty waffler, most recently in an ad sponsored by the National Rifle Association's political arm showing the Senator as a poodle with pink bows over the line that dog don't hunt. So uncommitted debate viewers were probably surprised by what they saw for themselves: a Time poll found that after the first debate, Kerry's favorability ratings actually surpassed the President's. By 5 points, voters found Kerry more likable than Bush, even as they viewed Bush as more steadfast. If, when voters get to watch Kerry up close for 90 minutes, they see someone even minimally plausible, it not only helps Kerry, it may also hurt Bush's own credibility, since he has made it so clear that he thinks Kerry is not suited to be President.

http://www.time.com/time/subscriber/covers/1101041018/story2.html
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:16 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:

These boneheads in the White House wanted to make a constitutional amendment banning homosexual marriage, and all the benefits it provides. So why NOT throw it back in their face and test their hypocrisy on the subject matter?

What "benefits"? To whom? At what cost?

Bush explained that he wanted the amendment to restrain judges from further action creating "rights" that are not found in the constitution, for protected classes of people -- and doing so in defiance of the wishes of the people as democratically expressed through their legislatures. No hypocrisy there.

No, he wants to amend the constitution based on his personal belief, lets get the facts straight.

There is currently no federal law concerning marriage, but Bush wants to make one. He wants to TAKE AWAY rights from the states and push it up to the FEDERAL level, just because there are some states that don't believe in his radical form of homophobia. He in effect is saying that he knows Gay Marriage is completely wrong for this country and he is so opposed to it, that he wants to make a FEDERAL AMENDMENT to the Constitution to promote his view.

This goes against conservative philosophy, and you righties don't realize this yet. In fact, it's too late, the conservative party no longer stands for smaller government, the democrats took that over. This is but just one glorious example of how Bush would like to increase Federal payroll, take away liberties and remove power from the states. Reagan would shoot Bush for thinking like this, you know it as well as I do.

This is not what America is about, taking away liberties. If a gay couple wants to marry, what the hell is the difference? How does it hurt you or me? How does it undermine the spirit of our country? Here's a little hint, it doesn't!!! It instead is used as a political tool to rally up all the religious nuts in the right wing. You know the people who I'm talking about. The people who throw eggs at somebody walking into an abortion clinic, the people who scream out "HOMO" to two gay people walking down the street. This is who Bush is pandering too, this is who he thinks should be making the laws in America.

The sad fact is that if I had $50 Million dollars, I could probably get any amendment passed. It's all money and this administration has let it be known they WILL sell out to the highest bidder, simple as that. . . unless it's "your" old company, then there aren't any bids, you just give them our money. . . Truly sad.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
Lash wrote:
Well, I guess the Dems are compassionate to gays when it suits them--and guts them in public for their own expediency.

Ummm, I hate to break it to you, but Cheney brought up his daughter in the VP debates, I'm sorry, but it's fair game.

Quote:

Fair weather and conditional tolerance. The Hallmark of the Democrat Party.

Please, greed, corruption and hatred are the stallwarts of the New Rebublican Party, the Neo-nazi conservatives in power now.

Oh yea, I almost forgot to mention their party line.

Fear, Fear, Fear. . . Terrorist, Terrorist, Terrorist. . .Kerry Sucks.

WOW, what a great platform!!! Where do I signup? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:23 am
Squinney...sorry honey, my bad....

Lash ......boo hoo.....where was the attack against Ms. Cheney? Saying she is gay which EVERYONE knows and it is just the way God made her?

....the unwarranted smear of Max Cleland
His record was examined. He was only smeared by Coulter, that I know of. Not the RNC or Bush. Bush commended Cleland's service

The fact of Cheney's homosexuality was mentioned......in other words her record was examined. And no one smeared her.

that is the bushinc way, have other people step out to verbalize their message for them. Keeps the hands clean and soft. Plausible deniability I believe they call it.

You lose on this one Lash...it's 4th page news fresh.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:30 am
Mary Cheney is not running for public office. I don't think her sexual identity is a "record". But, we've all opinionated on this ad nauseum...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:41 am
It had been done ad nauseum when it was first mentioned by Lynn Cheney IMO.....
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
last word on Cheneys homosexuality...i think a point was made that Republicans have homosexuals in their party, they just don't want to admit it..they would prefer if they kept in their closet...and if Cheney is who i think she is..she is proud of her sexuality...lol...Dad is proud of her so what else matters..:-)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:50 am
Lola (me, myself) wrote:

Quote:
oh and I did think Kerry won all three debates, as a large majority of voters seem to think as well. He was consistently himself, presidential. With his opponent, we had the Three Faces of Bush.

Mentioned in the article below:

Quote:
They were a rough passage for Mr. Bush, who saw his September lead over Mr. Kerry slip away as the Democratic nominee established himself as a plausible presidential alternative. In a crucible where voters measure the self-confidence, authority and steadiness of the candidates, Mr. Kerry delivered a consistent set of assertive, collected performances. Mr. Bush appeared in three guises: impatient, even rattled at times during the first debate, angry and aggressive in the second, sunny and optimistic last night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/14/politics/campaign/14assess.html?th

Will the real George Bush please stand up? To tell the truth or not to tell the truth..........ummmm truth? Bush doesn's seem to know much about the truth.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:16 am
Bush when asked about appointment of judges to the supreme court and overturning of Roe v Wade. Answered in essence he would appoint judges that interpret the constitution.
What he neglected to say that the judges would interpret the constitution as he sees it and would overturn Roe v Wade.

I have absolutely no doubt that should Bush get reelected and appoint judges to the supreme court, which no doubt the next president will. Roe v Wade will become a memory.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:40 am
Not necessarily a reliable indicator, but Yahoo News poll "Who Won the Oct. 13 Presidential Debate?" currently shows 447651 votes:
Bush 35% 153308 votes
Kerry 63% 278776 votes
tie 4% 15567 votes
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:44 am
RfromP wrote:
George Bush says, "Don't get a flu shot". What next? Set your own broken bones? Self sutures?

There used to be a couple of dozen companies which made flu vaccines; now we're down to two or three and this is due to out of control lawyering courtesy of people like John Edwards.

That's the basic problem. There are several factors involved in our medical costs, but out of control lawyering is by far the most major and dems are clearly on the wrong side of the issue. Anybody with a web browser and an IQ over 90 can buy canadian drugs.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:46 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Not necessarily a reliable indicator, but Yahoo News poll "Who Won the Oct. 13 Presidential Debate?" currently shows 447651 votes:
Bush 35% 153308 votes
Kerry 63% 278776 votes
tie 4% 15567 votes

Pundits who actually watched the thing thought Bush won and I suspect most who watched it will agree. The dems have obviously figured out how to game the online polls, but I don't picture it helping them.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:48 am
Re: Third Debate: Your Comments
RfromP wrote:
I haven't seen a thread about this yet so here it is.

The fact that it went that long tells a story, i.e. you know perfectly well that if the dems thought they'd even broken even they'd be all over it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:51 am
au1929 wrote:
I have absolutely no doubt that should Bush get reelected and appoint judges to the supreme court, which no doubt the next president will. Roe v Wade will become a memory.

And that would be yet another Bush triumph of faith over common sense.
0 Replies